What's new

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

• Total voters

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
Considering the meta is to pick a character that doesnt have to follow the rules of the game and the presets are all shit Id say no

I seriously have no idea how some of the shit in this game ever made it to launch. Nrs and their "testers" are fucking clueless still

NRS: We want to make a neutral based and heavy footsies game with weapons, where characters best neutral tools are highs made for whiff punishing and not free advancing combo starters, and less of an emphasis on long combos.

Also NRS: Lol here's scorpion getting to completely ignore neutral while he does 45% combos off safe advancing mids

NRS: Specialty characters can still exist in this meta, as we have heavy mix characters like Sonya unable to run to easily enforce her mix now. She also has to dive kick or arc kick so she has to deal with zoning first!

Also NRS: Lol jk she just spams her own fireball which is better than all the zoning characters' so they are forced to come to her to get mixed instead!

NRS: Well we have this cool new grappler/big body that you'll surely want to keep out

Also NRS: Lmao get krushing blowed for even thinking about trying to keep this character off you

NRS: We also wanted to tone down the offense from MKX. There's no more run cancel pressure and cancels cost meter to use still. We also added a last breath mechanic to avoid chip outs!

Also NRS: Lol here's Erron black doing 30% meterless combos off mix, ignoring neutral with safe krushing blow mix, and putting out DOT moves that completely ignore last breath mechanics and have 1/3 of the recovery of all other DOT attacks in the game

NRS was pretending like they made a game that has universal rules. They have no idea how to make characters follow rules. Top 5 are not playing the same game as everyone else and its a joke.
this post is gold. you get the feeling they didn't test the game at all. more focus on krypt, cosmetics, brutalities and fatalities instead of balancing the game. can't believe they released the game in such a state. for example, scorpion f**** neutral. ok fine but then IF he teleports and gets blocked he SHOULD be punishable 100% like noobs teleport. instead you guess again (normal, amplified or fake tele) yes characters like sonya who are good up close shouldn't be able to zone that good. it makes zero sense. like a zoner shoudn't be that good up close. simply blows my mind. my conclusion: this game was rushed. balancing the game? naaa. we can still patch it. maybe they doing it on purpose. i don't know. they have quite a history (DAY 1 Alien, DAY 1 Deadshot, DAY 1 Erron etc)

Last edited:
I like the rushdown of mkx better but mk11 has grown on me. Some characters are too unsafe imo like both kahns but i guess every game has a bottom tier.

The only thing i dont like about this game is the fatal blow mechanic being so lame. They should have just made them a 1 and done, hit or miss with no armor. 1 button unbreakable 30+% is good enough. They are also aboit 3 seconds too long and i am sick of seeing them
Agree and throw animations oh my God Erron Black throws I can go to the fridge and get soda and still not done.!!!

Bar_Bar13

Friendly Neighborhood Spectre
No joke. I’ve been blowing up Scorpions since launch day that want to lean on teleport and his F43 string. I use Noob and get an automatic 33 percent punish on almost every one of Scorps EX tele’s.
I play Noob too and I feel like he can deal with the top tier a tiny bit better than other characters because he hits like a truck, has good space control, and can anti-air into 30% . He's still lacking in comparison to the top tiers though.

xKMMx

Banned
This is, competitively, the best Mortal Kombat ever made. The flow of the gameplay is great, with a good balance between going ham and being patient. Lots of walking and waiting/being patient followed my moments of intense action.

Right now there are only two things I would change:
1) Having no resource management around Fatal Blows is a bit silly. This thing that you get for free, that does a pile of unbreakable damage and can help some people achieve near-40% unbreakable combos, but you don’t have to save any meter to use, and if you whiff it, you just get it again. Some of them hit at footsie range or beyond. Imo the current state of the fatal blow goes again much of what the meta stands for, which is think, wait your turn, consider the tradeoffs of everything, earn your damage.

2) I like the idea of krushing blows — and most of them are fine. But I think that several of them should be tuned to reward knowledge rather than sheer luck. For example, Sonya doing a third of your lifebar if you make a read on her ring and block/jump the the first one but are hit by the second doesn’t seem to reward any sort of skill. Nor making a wrong read a couple times on Erron diving in with his mixup from half screen. Other than that though, it’s a neat mechanic and I appreciate the ones that you have to work for. D2 is neat since everyone has access to it.

Aside from this, this game is exposing:
1) The people who’ve been spoiled by overtuned zoning. You mean you might have to think when you toss out a projectile, rather than mindlessly tossing things out and meter burning them for mixups on block? You might have to actually play footsies while you zone, like Street Fighter? Hmm.. Welcome back to thinking again in MK11 :)

2) People who are used to having shortcuts around dealing with neutral.

3) People who jump to conclusions before they’re fully playing the game. If you really want to make assumptions about the cast right now, you should be flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked. If you’re sitting there taking pressure from characters with sizable gaps and doing nothing about it because you’re dependent on being able to mash armor like it previous games, it’s time to hit the lab.

We still need some time at this point to flesh out the meta and truly play characters and MUs optimally. It’s fine to have a gut feeling that says a character is weak or too strong, but saying you know exactly how to rebalace the cast in Week 2 is silly, and there are several players who I’d think would have enough experience and maturity to know better.
I couldn' t agree more on your point about the "zoners" being exposed. What most people that call themselves "zoners" don't realize is that they are in truth spammers. Those spammers are the only people I hear bitching about the fact that you can't sit at fullscreen and throw out projectiles to get a win. one guy on this thread even posted that he thinks it's unfair that there are no characters that can with just by " zoning".
To me there is a difference between zoners and spammers.

Zoners.- Use your long range projectiles to challenge the opponent to get in and maybe use it as a tool to frustrate them into over commiting to jump ins and desperate tactics. But a zoner will also have skills to get damage once an opponent gets in and then also recreate the distance.

Spammers.- immediately jump backwards as soon as the match begins so they can set up shop and start shooting projectiles non stop ( Full Auto Jacqui in MKX). However once you get in on a spammer its game over and they bitch and complain about corner trapping because they have no idea how to actually play.

xKMMx

Banned
some of y'all seem to really don't like scorpion teleport. you act like you get hit by it 10/10 times.
Been blowing it up from day one cause most people online use it raw. I'm sure vs high level players it is a much more dangerous tool when its less predictable.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Yeah having to guess everytime i do a string is getting old already like give me better frames or give me more push back or even give us a viable backdash. i dont see why they changed backdashes so drastically it was a viable tool in previous NRS games. now we have to just sit their and have a 4 way guess on what the opponent is going to do just for doing a string. idk but something needs to change.

Also d1 on hits needs to be more like mkx why would they have characters like kano who doesnt have any fast mids only have 10 frames of hit advantage of d1 does NRS not realize its almost impossible to jail that shit consistently online i mean cmon guys.

Hop 1/2 & Hop 3/4 are overheads
yeah, but i meant more like something to mix them up

For Kung Lao hop overhead is only useful in 2 situations:
  1. in the corner if you make a read what they're gonna do on wake up
  2. if your opponent has a pixel of health left and they're never expecting Lao to do an overhead and sitting there blocking low all the time, it'll win you the round/match
But it does very little damage to be viable, and good players can probably react to it? i don't know since i'm not one of them lol

Elias6999

Mournful Master

2. if your opponent has a pixel of health left and they're never expecting Lao to do an overhead and sitting there blocking low all the time, it'll win you the round/match
But it does very little damage to be viable, and good players can probably react to it? i don't know since i'm not one of them lol
Grab them. Many characters don’t have an overhead, I honestly don’t think it’s such a big deal, especially when MOST overheads are easily reactable.

Grab them. Many characters don’t have an overhead, I honestly don’t think it’s such a big deal, especially when MOST overheads are easily reactable.
that's what i've been doing, but in a long set a good player will read the grabs and i'll get d2 KB'ed into a 35-45% full combo
i feel like Lao's grabs are too predictable (because of the lack of the overhead)

Also the range for grabs is ridiculously small

Last edited:
You have a point I tend to agree with when you say the characters feel unfinished and gutted. I'm wondering if such a heavy emphasis being put on the look of the game made the move sets suffer. Like they didn't have enough time to really polish the actual game play aspect. I think the game is a lot of fun still but it doesn't really suck me in and make me want to grind on it for hours like MKX did. I wonder if NRS being aware of this issue means they are going to take extra time and effort on DLC and give them more expansive move sets> if so that's going to piss off every one I ever played in MKX that sent me hate for being a Predator main.
Speaking of unfinished, kotal kahn has like 1 kombo bnb lol and its basically the exact same even in the corner (yeah maybe dont end with his subpar command grab)

Idk, I use Shao Kahn sometimes. Players like to neutral crouch him all day, so his hop hammer is useful for that lol. Still options nonetheless.

D

Deleted member 35141

People complaining that their oh is reactable lol Johnny doesn't have a single overhead anywhere.
The current meta is good but the diversity is lacking.
Fatal blows I hate, even playing the CPU is annoying as hell knowing your gonna easily win but now have to sit through a stupid long animation.
Lastly why do some characters have to jump through hoops to get a krushing blow and others touch you boom 35% krushing blow

People complaining that their oh is reactable lol Johnny doesn't have a single overhead anywhere.
if you're talking about my comments, i was talking about the hop overhead, which I believe is universal for all characters, meaning that Johnny has it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This is, competitively, the best Mortal Kombat ever made. The flow of the gameplay is great, with a good balance between going ham and being patient. Lots of walking and waiting/being patient followed my moments of intense action.

Right now there are only two things I would change:
1) Having no resource management around Fatal Blows is a bit silly. This thing that you get for free, that does a pile of unbreakable damage and can help some people achieve near-40% unbreakable combos, but you don’t have to save any meter to use, and if you whiff it, you just get it again. Some of them hit at footsie range or beyond. Imo the current state of the fatal blow goes again much of what the meta stands for, which is think, wait your turn, consider the tradeoffs of everything, earn your damage.

2) I like the idea of krushing blows — and most of them are fine. But I think that several of them should be tuned to reward knowledge rather than sheer luck. For example, Sonya doing a third of your lifebar if you make a read on her ring and block/jump the the first one but are hit by the second doesn’t seem to reward any sort of skill. Nor making a wrong read a couple times on Erron diving in with his mixup from half screen. Other than that though, it’s a neat mechanic and I appreciate the ones that you have to work for. D2 is neat since everyone has access to it.

Aside from this, this game is exposing:
1) The people who’ve been spoiled by overtuned zoning. You mean you might have to think when you toss out a projectile, rather than mindlessly tossing things out and meter burning them for mixups on block? You might have to actually play footsies while you zone, like Street Fighter? Hmm.. Welcome back to thinking again in MK11 :)

2) People who are used to having shortcuts around dealing with neutral.

3) People who jump to conclusions before they’re fully playing the game. If you really want to make assumptions about the cast right now, you should be flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked. If you’re sitting there taking pressure from characters with sizable gaps and doing nothing about it because you’re dependent on being able to mash armor like it previous games, it’s time to hit the lab.

We still need some time at this point to flesh out the meta and truly play characters and MUs optimally. It’s fine to have a gut feeling that says a character is weak or too strong, but saying you know exactly how to rebalace the cast in Week 2 is silly, and there are several players who I’d think would have enough experience and maturity to know better.
you know we rarely are in agreement, but i gotta love you for this post, thank you.

Been blowing it up from day one cause most people online use it raw. I'm sure vs high level players it is a much more dangerous tool when its less predictable.
I'm willing to guess a lot of these people complaining aren't even high level or tournament players. I've seen actual high level players complain but now it's like an echo chamber

Elias6999

Mournful Master
that's what i've been doing, but in a long set a good player will read the grabs and i'll get d2 KB'ed into a 35-45% full combo
i feel like Lao's grabs are too predictable (because of the lack of the overhead)

Also the range for grabs is ridiculously small
When they read your grabs and start ducking use your long range mids. Lao does not need an overhead. The argument you have works for all characters without an overhead, and I doubt giving everyone one would make things better

Ludaaak

Noob
The Footsies

Almost all normal attacks and strings are barely safe on block in Mortal Kombat 11. You are therefore at a disadvantage after your best string and have to guess between a forward or back throw, which is a 50/50 mix up. You can neutral crouch and punish the throw with a krushing blow d+2, but you are vulnerable to your opponent’s best string if you neutral crouch. Because there are no armor moves and backdashes have no invulnerable frames as they do in Mortal Kombat X, you are more or less playing a game of “rock, paper, scissors” every time your string gets blocked or you block your opponent’s string. The better characters in the game somewhat ignore this meta because they have safer or cancelable strings, which may also create pushback on block to force you out of your throw and poking range.

The Rush Down

In Mortal Kombat 11, 50/50 mix ups and pressure are far less common and oppressive as they are in Mortal Kombat X. Although every character has access to the basic 50/50 mix up with a forward or back throw that also has krushing blow properties, the focus has been switched to playing the neutral game and forcing attacks to whiff in order to open up your opponent. Unlike in Mortal Kombat X, a player in Mortal Kombat 11 must also be aware and respect an opponent who has been knocked down as whiffing a string on a front or back roll gets you punished. The better characters in the game have access to mix ups that are beyond the universal front or back throw. Some remnants of 50/50 mix ups still exist yet are only reserved for a handful of fortunate characters.

The Zoning

There were some concerns about zoning in the initial versions of the game, but increased walk speeds and forward dashes, including the controversial “wave dash”, have universally limited zoning. There is also a plethora of special moves that are anti-zoning in nature that close the gap fairly quickly between you and your opponent. These options are, again, particularly common among the better characters in the game. Traditional zoning remains a viable strategy but not to the extent of any previous NRS games. Anyone who expects to win from full screen way will be severely disappointed as most fights are ultimately won up close or at mid range.

Whether you are playing the game at a casual, intermediate, or competitive level, are you enjoying the meta? Post and share your thoughts in this thread. I am curious what the community thinks so far.
Mk9 is the best
The Footsies

Almost all normal attacks and strings are barely safe on block in Mortal Kombat 11. You are therefore at a disadvantage after your best string and have to guess between a forward or back throw, which is a 50/50 mix up. You can neutral crouch and punish the throw with a krushing blow d+2, but you are vulnerable to your opponent’s best string if you neutral crouch. Because there are no armor moves and backdashes have no invulnerable frames as they do in Mortal Kombat X, you are more or less playing a game of “rock, paper, scissors” every time your string gets blocked or you block your opponent’s string. The better characters in the game somewhat ignore this meta because they have safer or cancelable strings, which may also create pushback on block to force you out of your throw and poking range.

The Rush Down

In Mortal Kombat 11, 50/50 mix ups and pressure are far less common and oppressive as they are in Mortal Kombat X. Although every character has access to the basic 50/50 mix up with a forward or back throw that also has krushing blow properties, the focus has been switched to playing the neutral game and forcing attacks to whiff in order to open up your opponent. Unlike in Mortal Kombat X, a player in Mortal Kombat 11 must also be aware and respect an opponent who has been knocked down as whiffing a string on a front or back roll gets you punished. The better characters in the game have access to mix ups that are beyond the universal front or back throw. Some remnants of 50/50 mix ups still exist yet are only reserved for a handful of fortunate characters.

The Zoning

There were some concerns about zoning in the initial versions of the game, but increased walk speeds and forward dashes, including the controversial “wave dash”, have universally limited zoning. There is also a plethora of special moves that are anti-zoning in nature that close the gap fairly quickly between you and your opponent. These options are, again, particularly common among the better characters in the game. Traditional zoning remains a viable strategy but not to the extent of any previous NRS games. Anyone who expects to win from full screen way will be severely disappointed as most fights are ultimately won up close or at mid range.

Whether you are playing the game at a casual, intermediate, or competitive level, are you enjoying the meta? Post and share your thoughts in this thread. I am curious what the community thinks so far.

Attachments

This is the most anti-zoning heavy game since martian manhunter was prowling the streets. Sub zero can trade full screen and get knocked down but still has time to wake up and dash across the screen for a full combo. At least make them have to wave dash. Scorpion teleport cancel variation is insanely funny. In long sets vs good scorps I can throw maybe one or two projectiles? Geras is a grappler that is also in contention HE HAS A FROM THE DEEP THAT IS FASTER AND A LOW AND SAFE VS THE MAJORITY OF THE CAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? It is also a df/db motion for his trap/pillar and is super easy to use as a punish. Jade negates all zoning except a few things (why does geras sand trap hit her but cetrion geyser doesn't?

If you complain about zoning in this game you are the final boss of scrub.

This is the most anti-zoning heavy game since martian manhunter was prowling the streets. Sub zero can trade full screen and get knocked down but still has time to wake up and dash across the screen for a full combo. At least make them have to wave dash. Scorpion teleport cancel variation is insanely funny. In long sets vs good scorps I can throw maybe one or two projectiles? Cetrion ground pound? LMAO scorp can block the first hit, jump and teleport punish. Many characters can do this. Geras is a grappler that is also in contention HE HAS A FROM THE DEEP THAT IS FASTER AND A LOW AND SAFE VS THE MAJORITY OF THE CAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? It is also a df/db motion for his trap/pillar and is super easy to use as a punish. Jade negates all zoning except a few things (why does geras sand trap hit her but cetrion geyser doesn't?

If you complain about zoning in this game you are the final boss of scrub.

When they read your grabs and start ducking use your long range mids. Lao does not need an overhead. The argument you have works for all characters without an overhead, and I doubt giving everyone one would make things better
Why use the long range mids? Why would anyone in their right mind neutral duck vs lao outside of grab range (which is super short)?

also all lao's mids are unsafe as hell

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm starting to see a ton of neutral jump punching. Thought we were done with that shit after MKX, but I guess not. I can see why though. This game is naturally pokey, and many Ji2's are really good. Pretty annoying.