What's new

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

• Total voters

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Dragon is an exceptional player, but nobody aside from Sonic Fox is taking advantage of the gap between the MB wall. The second hit can be flawless blocked or even interrupted and punished. I give props to @SaltShaker who was the first person I saw bring this issue to the community's attention. The gap will have devastating effects for Cetrion long term as people invest more time in the match up.

Gross's zoning with Cassie versus DJT's Baraka is a far superior example of zoning in Mortal Kombat 11 if you are trying to prove zoning effectiveness in Mortal Kombat 11.

My problem is that the current top characters (i.e., Erron Black's projectile parry, Geras's sand trap, Sub Zero's EX ice ball, etc.) who are exclusively all rush down characters are also the ones with the best zoning and anti-zoning tools, yet the characters who were advertised as "premier zoning characters" (i.e., Noob) have absolutely nothing to do with zoning.
I think it's still fair to say that she is much better than originally thought, though. Her wall is one tool, but it's really the combination of her boulder, geyser, instant air beam etc. combined with her footsie/whiff punishing options that makes her so well-rounded.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
The game seems off to a pretty good start imo, hope it continues this way.

btw, what was that mention of cetrions string? the one that people need to FB more?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think it's still fair to say that she is much better than originally thought, though. Her wall is one tool, but it's really the combination of her boulder, geyser, instant air beam etc. combined with her footsie/whiff punishing options that makes her so well-rounded.
I have always claimed Cetrion is much better than people think.

The wall is not one tool. It is the tool. All fights in Mortal Kombat 9 (edit: Mortal Kombat 11!) are ultimately won and lost at the mid range. f+2,3 is not safe on block, and if she is unable to reliably make this string safe on block, even with meter, she will struggle.

btw, what was that mention of cetrions string? the one that people need to FB more?
The MB wall has a gap between the first and second hit, which allows you to flawless block. Some characters can interrupt and punish with jabs too.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
All fights in Mortal Kombat 9 are ultimately won and lost at the mid range.
I presume you meant MK11, old-timer ;)

In any case, I'm looking forward to see how her gameplay evolves. Aside from Cetrion, the truth is that flawless block will afftect a number of characters in interesting ways. I'm curious to see how it alters the meta once people are doing it pretty consistently in all matchups.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I've held the opinion that flawless block is going to single handedly put certain characters in the trash bin (like probably Jade). I really don't know if the mechanic is good for the game.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
NRS needs to fix the whiffing in this game.
A high shouldn't whiff while the opponent is crouch blocking.
This makes D2 KB so easy to get.
This also makes me want to play with kharacters with mid strings only and
poop on the kharacters that lack mids.
This game shouldnt be like this

Gaxkang

Banned
6. I hate hate hate dial a combo system. Is there ANY benefit to this? Call me a scrub but it's so counter intuitive and feels like I'm never truly in control of my character. I've been playing fighters for 9 years, and my execution has come a long way. But NRS games make me feel like I'm playing cross handed and blindfolded sometimes.
I've seen it said that dials allow for animations that wouldn't be there in a link system that made use of various normals, like in Street Fighter.

Some consider dials to be easier to do too, I guess way back when dial was considered a casual combo system since you just input the code and the string happens period.
In a dial as long as it was inputted in, it won't drop so there's won't be a gap or interruption attack.

I feel like dials make someone feel they have to rush their inputs to try to get a special cancel combo going. And it is acknowledged that largely speaking dial combo doesn't allow for hit confirming off one hit into special. Need at least 2.

I find doing jump in's awkward, and for the most part jump in combos are done with J1 or J2. So you have to hit with that (and at least some have truly horrible hit boxes I feel), and you have to rush in the dial combo sorta before the jump hit connects, and you also gotta rush and input the special, and hopefully it works.
For me as of yet, it doesn't really. :confused:

I could deal with the dial system a bit better in Injustice 2...but then there was more options to work with too, like true universal overheads or launchers that could also be armored. I could get away without being adept at doing extended dial combos.