What's new

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The Footsies

Almost all normal attacks and strings are barely safe on block in Mortal Kombat 11. You are therefore at a disadvantage after your best string and have to guess between a forward or back throw, which is a 50/50 mix up. You can neutral crouch and punish the throw with a krushing blow d+2, but you are vulnerable to your opponent’s best string if you neutral crouch. Because there are no armor moves and backdashes have no invulnerable frames as they do in Mortal Kombat X, you are more or less playing a game of “rock, paper, scissors” every time your string gets blocked or you block your opponent’s string. The better characters in the game somewhat ignore this meta because they have safer or cancelable strings, which may also create pushback on block to force you out of your throw and poking range.

The Rush Down

In Mortal Kombat 11, 50/50 mix ups and pressure are far less common and oppressive as they are in Mortal Kombat X. Although every character has access to the basic 50/50 mix up with a forward or back throw that also has krushing blow properties, the focus has been switched to playing the neutral game and forcing attacks to whiff in order to open up your opponent. Unlike in Mortal Kombat X, a player in Mortal Kombat 11 must also be aware and respect an opponent who has been knocked down as whiffing a string on a front or back roll gets you punished. The better characters in the game have access to mix ups that are beyond the universal front or back throw. Some remnants of 50/50 mix ups still exist yet are only reserved for a handful of fortunate characters.

The Zoning

There were some concerns about zoning in the initial versions of the game, but increased walk speeds and forward dashes, including the controversial “wave dash”, have universally limited zoning. There is also a plethora of special moves that are anti-zoning in nature that close the gap fairly quickly between you and your opponent. These options are, again, particularly common among the better characters in the game. Traditional zoning remains a viable strategy but not to the extent of any previous NRS games. Anyone who expects to win from full screen way will be severely disappointed as most fights are ultimately won up close or at mid range.

Whether you are playing the game at a casual, intermediate, or competitive level, are you enjoying the meta? Post and share your thoughts in this thread. I am curious what the community thinks so far.

xKMMx

Banned
Also the fact that the air escape leaves the attacking player vulnerable in some cases is another part of the meta that I feel caters to scrubs. The game actually gives the scrub who can’t defend or punish any other way an opportunity for damage after you successfully get a hit into extended combo which should reward the player on offense in my opinion. I’m fine with the mechanic as a combo breaker like MKX but it should not be a way for someone to actually counter and start their offense

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I honestly hate the strength D2’s have in this game. The push back is way too much and they are basically a safe punish for anyone that doesn’t know how to use strings to punish.
This statement may seem controversial, but Mortal Kombat 11 has less defensive options than Mortal Kombat X in footsies. As I said in the first post, almost all strings are negative on block so you are stuck in a guessing game afterward. I suppose d+2 need to be strong to deal with the 50/50 mix up on throws.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
There are many things i haven't liked about this game.

I'm not into what zoning has turned, at all. In this game it is rare that a character can win only relying on zoning, yet a character can win only with pressure or 50/50s.
Breakaway is a nerfed version of breaker and puts the defender in a bad situation. Fatal blows are game stealers.
Many krushing blows are ridiculously dumb, specially the ones of 1 hit. For example the kb on throws is a 50/50 that does +300 damage and you can't do anything about it if you get hit, totally unbreakable.

The fact that this game is less flashy and slower than mkx doesn't mean it is not as crazy as that one. Just crazy in its own way.

Personally I'm on the verge of uninstalling. I'm glad that many people are liking the game, though.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm enjoying it more than most NRS games so far.

I still really don't like Fatal Blows at all, and i'm not too crazy on the wakeup game either. There are some characters that are frustrating to fight against but this is NRS, not surprised. The game is growing on me though, still need time to really get a feel for what the meta is.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Love it. I hope NRS approaches the balance in this game by toning down the "fuck neutral" mechanics instead of giving these to everyone. The latter would waste a lot of potential this game has.

Edit: I also think that zoning characters have the potential to be strong even if you can't win by just playing fullscreen, especially because it's harder to win by being in the opponent's face in comparison to MKX. The slower pace should also give zoning characters more opportunities to reset the full screen game through neutral.

xKMMx

Banned
This statement may seem controversial, but Mortal Kombat 11 has less defensive options than Mortal Kombat X in footsies. As I said in the first post, almost all strings are negative on block so you are stuck in a guessing game afterward. I suppose d+2 need to be strong to deal with the 50/50 mix up on throws.
I haven’t realky looked at too much frame data for anyone other than Noob Saibot who I’m currently using. And honestly the only thing unsafe about most of his decent strings is they are all high starters. Meaning and masher out there can poke me out by making D1 and can whiff punish the first hit of any of my 3 strings (that have potential for full combo follow up with) with D2. I have been able to adapt and the D2 mashers no longer really get any more than one win off me once I see that’s all they have. It’s just kind of an annoying part of the meta for a game that NRS said would be all about neutral and footsies mind games. I feel the D2 is too much of a safety valve for lazy players that want cheap safe damage.

xKMMx

Banned
I'm enjoying it more than most NRS games so far.

I still really don't like Fatal Blows at all, and i'm not too crazy on the wakeup game either. There are some characters that are frustrating to fight against but this is NRS, not surprised. The game is growing on me though, still need time to really get a feel for what the meta is.
I was ready to call it a day on the game after only a couple of days cause I felt it was way out of balance. Granted I have the same thoughts. Liu Kang as per the usual is the most annoying asswipe of a character there ever was and has way too much safe damage and get out of jail free cards depending on the variation. But it’s grown on me. I had to pull myself out of my MKX playstyle gradually. I was a HQT Pred main and was all about pressure and rush down. But since that doesn’t truly exist the same way in this game it took a while for me to adjust to playing the patient chess match that MK11 is trying to be and can be at times depending on your opponent.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm not into what zoning has turned, at all. In this game it is rare that a character can win only relying on zoning, yet a character can win only with pressure or 50/50s.
I agree.

NRS's character labels (i.e., "premier zoning character") make no sense, which is one of the reasons why I now support customizable variations, and I used to be a hardcore advocate for tournament variations. I think we as players should be in charge of how we decide we want to play a character, not NRS. Besides, some of these preset variations are comically bad. They have no cohesion whatsoever. Just a bunch of random moves mashed together.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I'm not really going to comment on character balance because that's all gonna change and compared to previous fighting game launches this game feels pretty good for a start balance wise. I really like the direction the game is going. Throws are annoying but I can deal with them and they have more interesting counterplay to them then just a straight 50/50s. I've seen some people make the argument that defense is worse because of armor being gone but I think the new defensive mechanics we have are for more engaging then the simple will I armor or not. I like some of the kbs like the counter hit/punish and mist hit 2 times in a row because I think they create some interesting risk reward and decision making opportunities. Only thing that's really concerning is fatal blows and i'm curious to see how the wave dashing develops. Overall I really like how the game is shaping up and wouldn't mind if the final version played like this with better character balance.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I agree.

NRS's character labels (i.e., "premier zoning character") make no sense, which is one of the reasons why I now support customizable variations, and I used to be a hardcore advocate for tournament variations. I think we as players should be in charge of how we decide we want to play a character, not NRS. Besides, some of these preset variations are comically bad. They have no cohesion whatsoever. Just a bunch of random moves mashed together.
With the imbalance we have in the current kits, I honestly hope they give it one more try and either rework some presets are toss in 1 more per character before they just said "have at it."

gam224

The world's least hype player
I understand the complaint about most strings being negative. The problem with zoning in this game isn’t so much that it’s weak but everything else does so much damage. More than anything I feel that zoning characters should have access to special moves that can push people back on block. For example Liu’s down back 2 in mkx put you a bit away from the opponent. You could either attempt to use his down 1 to steal a turn or walk back with his excellent walk spreed. Back dashes are also quite weak in this game which makes zoning harder. I rarely see my opponents back dash. Strings that should put the opponent back a ways are also quite likely very negative. Kitana’s back 131 is actually-11 so it’s only a matter of time before people start counter poking and punishing it.

Espio

Kokomo
I really like the game, but I really hope custom variations become tournament standard sooner rather than later.

Even the good characters some of the variations seem to lack coherency and sense. The weaker characters seem to become "complete" with the custom variation system too as opposed to feeling lacking and there's a lot of fun play styles hidden behind the custom variation system too that would alleviate a lot of problems, add a lot of play style variety AND deepen/length the game's life.

I don't care about throws being strong because there's some counterplay to them and Krushing blows allow you to get a full combo. Down 2's should be strong because that allows a good check on people's throw games as well.

Guessing on throw techs when Krushing blows exists is kind of an erroneous thing to do, if you scout a throw you commit to the neutral duck and in some cases can punish with a string or what have you as opposed to doing the 50/50 throw tech guess.

It seems like generally speaking stagger pressure is rewarded, which I like. Ending your string early for more chip, throws or other pressure. Even if you have to block after your string, there's still reads to be made: are they going for a throw? I can neutral duck and punish. Are they doing a high string? I can down poke them and regain advantage and impose a mix up on them. It's nuanced at least in my view.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I really like the game, but I really hope custom variations become tournament standard sooner rather than later.

Even the good characters some of the variations seem to lack coherency and sense. The weaker characters seem to become "complete" with the custom variation system too as opposed to feeling lacking and there's a lot of fun play styles hidden behind the custom variation system too that would alleviate a lot of problems, add a lot of play style variety AND deepen/length the game's life.

I don't care about throws being strong because there's some counterplay to them and Krushing blows allow you to get a full combo. Down 2's should be strong because that allows a good check on people's throw games as well.

Guessing on throw techs when Krushing blows exists is kind of an erroneous thing to do, if you scout a throw you commit to the neutral duck and in some cases can punish with a string or what have you as opposed to doing the 50/50 throw tech guess.

It seems like generally speaking stagger pressure is rewarded, which I like. Ending your string early for more chip, throws or other pressure. Even if you have to block after your string, there's still reads to be made: are they going for a throw? I can neutral duck and punish. Are they doing a high string? I can down poke them and regain advantage and impose a mix up on them. It's nuanced at least in my view.
You made me remember that a handful of high moves cannot be KB with d2 which sucks in my opinion.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I do like how there's more of an emphasis on the neutral and mindgames rather than just mindless 50/50s, and I say that as someone who mained Errron Black in the previous game

Matix218

Get over here!
Enjoying everything except Scorpion teleport, and Erron Black and Geras.... Just every part of them. Tools that invalidate neutral should not be safe.

Aside from that, pretty damn content.
Scorpion's teleport is full combo punishable whether he delays the mb or not. It is in no way safe