What's new

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

• Total voters
Krushing Blows and Rage Arts are about as alike as Mountain Dew and Toilet Paper.
then they're quite alike : )
The first, Rage Art, allows the player to execute critical attacks that deal roughly 30% damage depending on the character once their health bar is critical, in exchange for inactivating the normal attack power increase.
source

edit: omg im sorry, i meant fatal blows, not crushing blows. mechanical mistake.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@BoromiRofGeo Yeah KB's in MK and Rage from Tekken are nothing alike lmao....If anything, Tekken stole from MK and SF's with super moves since they had them first. It's just a Super move available at the end of the round if you're low on health, but for one. A lot of FB's in MK 11 tend to be safe or have armor to a point, where as Tekken 7 most of them aren't safe at all and two, in MK FB's are limited ONE per match. Tekken, you have one each round as I recall. They're a similar concept but not exactly the same. I take it you meant FBs?

The game is fun but some characters need tweaks which I'm sure will be addressed in due time.

Last edited:

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
then they're quite alike : )

source

edit: omg im sorry, i meant fatal blows, not crushing blows. mechanical mistake.
Yeah Fatal Blows and Rage Arts are the same thing but MK was doing it before Tekken so eh. They're both shit mechanics that just slow games down to a slog. When I get my opponent down that low it's literally just a marathon of me trying to bait a stupid FB out of them so I can punish it and end the round. Tekken is the same way.

Yeah Fatal Blows and Rage Arts are the same thing but MK was doing it before Tekken so eh. They're both shit mechanics that just slow games down to a slog. When I get my opponent down that low it's literally just a marathon of me trying to bait a stupid FB out of them so I can punish it and end the round. Tekken is the same way.
agree 100%.
btw, which mk was doing mechanic like that? 3d era?

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
agree 100%.
btw, which mk was doing mechanic like that? 3d era?
Fatal Blows/Rage Arts are literally just X-Rays (Originating in MK9 04/19/2011) that can only be performed once a match and at low health. Granted the cinematography is much better now, that just means they're longer and more grueling to sit through.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Ill say this again because I am wondering if Im the only one; I genuinely had more fun in the beta with the game (Custom Variations) than the full game.. anyone else?

Also Scorpions teleport is op and this is coming from someone that uses him..
Its a three way guess fest

MKF30

Fatal Blows/Rage Arts are literally just X-Rays (Originating in MK9 04/19/2011) that can only be performed once a match and at low health. Granted the cinematography is much better now, that just means they're longer and more grueling to sit through.
Pretty much, the one difference though is MK 11's FB's are limited to one per match. T7 as I recall you can do every round(if memory serves) and you're right Xrays date back to MK 9. To be honest, I kind of miss Xrays but if I could choose a mechanic back in MK 11 it would be breakers over break aways honestly. I can live with the FB's being one per match.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Pretty much, the one difference though is MK 11's FB's are limited to one per match. T7 as I recall you can do every round(if memory serves) and you're right Xrays date back to MK 9. To be honest, I kind of miss Xrays but if I could choose a mechanic back in MK 11 it would be breakers over break aways honestly. I can live with the FB's being one per match.
tekken was once your health is low enough

I enjoy the the gameplay and the meta so far. However, I'm starting to see some distinct differences that separate the bottom tier from the rest of the cast. For some reason, a select group of characters just seem to have normals that are slower, more punishable, and often lacking mids, compared to any character in the mid-tier and up. It doesn't make much sense to me, because they don't make up for it in other areas either; there's no real tradeoff for their strings being so janky.

MKF30

I think Raiden needs a buff, slight his Raijin definitely needs work lol. I think they'll patch Scorp's teleport or tweak it, a lot of people seem to not like dealing with it I'm noticing.

tekken was once your health is low enough
Yeah but I mean like they let you use it on every round if you're low on health. MK 11 you only can use the FB once, once you use it that's it for the whole match.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
As i said neutral is part of any fg, but when it’s the main focus of how they design the game is where you see everything being toned down to the point of almost not being there.

I said jumps themselves are awful, as a maneuver and trying to get over stuff like fireballs you’re almost always gonna get clipped coz they’re ass.
Jump in kicks are still super good and anti airing them is tough even if you know it’s coming.

The game is mashy if you don’t have a good mid, if I don’t have a good mid like Kotal for example and i hit a d1, the opponent is 100% gonna mash a d1 back because i can’t stop it outside of doing a d1 again coz I don’t have a mid, especially outside of throw range which is why i said d1s should be more plus.
Hops get clipped by d1s so only thing frisky there is you getting floated.

I didn’t say it should play as any other game, the ones I listed were simply examples of games that are neutral focused without gutting everything.
The current top tier contenders are there because they ignore the forced neutral the game is designed around.
Sonya just does braindead mix nonstop with zoning that rivals the “dedicated” zoners, Sub is just 50/50 city with few iceballs to remind you it’s still Sub, Scorp just goes crazy coz the opponent is holding block all match afraid of the teleport and Geras does whatever he wants because you’re gonna get KB’d if you try to breathe.

Now what will happen here? NRS is gonna murk these characters and they’ll have to do the walk around and whiff punish game then d1/throw upclose coz they dared to escape the full gutting.
Without custom variations characters will end up all having a similar gameplan and personally I don’t find that very fun which is why I said what I said.
Hopefully I’m wrong and the next patches change up things so we’ll see soon enough.
If they're mashing after a poke on hit and they're out of throw range, they're definitely in range for you to take a step back and hit them with something.

And you're sure you don't have time to short hop after a poke on hit? I don't know about Kotal's hitbox. I can with Jacqui.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Considering the meta is to pick a character that doesnt have to follow the rules of the game and the presets are all shit Id say no

I seriously have no idea how some of the shit in this game ever made it to launch. Nrs and their "testers" are fucking clueless still

NRS: We want to make a neutral based and heavy footsies game with weapons, where characters best neutral tools are highs made for whiff punishing and not free advancing combo starters, and less of an emphasis on long combos.

Also NRS: Lol here's scorpion getting to completely ignore neutral while he does 45% combos off safe advancing mids

NRS: Specialty characters can still exist in this meta, as we have heavy mix characters like Sonya unable to run to easily enforce her mix now. She also has to dive kick or arc kick so she has to deal with zoning first!

Also NRS: Lol jk she just spams her own fireball which is better than all the zoning characters' so they are forced to come to her to get mixed instead!

NRS: Well we have this cool new grappler/big body that you'll surely want to keep out

Also NRS: Lmao get krushing blowed for even thinking about trying to keep this character off you

NRS: We also wanted to tone down the offense from MKX. There's no more run cancel pressure and cancels cost meter to use still. We also added a last breath mechanic to avoid chip outs!

Also NRS: Lol here's Erron black doing 30% meterless combos off mix, ignoring neutral with safe krushing blow mix, and putting out DOT moves that completely ignore last breath mechanics and have 1/3 of the recovery of all other DOT attacks in the game

NRS was pretending like they made a game that has universal rules. They have no idea how to make characters follow rules. Top 5 are not playing the same game as everyone else and its a joke.

im little late to the party.
i dont understand, why are you people calling crushing blow such "innovation" and what not? NRS literally stole "rage arts" from tekken 7. its the same mechanic. LITERALLY.
I would argue crusing blow is similar to lethal hit in SCVI before I compared it to anything in Tekken. My bad I see the correction. Anyways, has anyone been able to successfully flawless block and punish online? I'm wondering if NRS had flawless blocking in mind when it came to some characters having excellent buttons. I've been able to flawless block here and there but nothing consistent. I wonder if increasing the window and making it easier would resolve balance issues.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I seriously have no idea how some of the shit in this game ever made it to launch. Nrs and their "testers" are fucking clueless still
"Waaaaaah the game's not perfectly balanced 2 weeks after launch waaahh"

I don't know what fighting games some of you guys play that are flawlessly balanced on release 'because testers', but I know it's definitely not SF4 or SF5, DBFZ, KI, MVC:I, etc.

Stop bashing the testers. Fighting game balance takes time.

Last edited:

I don't know what fighting games some of you guys play that are flawlessly balanced on release 'because testers', but I know it's definitely not SF4 or SF5, DBFZ, KI, MVC:I, etc.

Stop bashing the testers. Fighting game balance is an ongoing thing.
It is but are you really going to tell me that someone sat down and looked at noobs block ball and said "yeah that has competitive merit".

People cry too much and put way too much on testers for sure. A day after this game launched man hours had been spent playing it than the entirety of development. There's no way any tester team can compare to that (and really they shouldn't, it's so much more efficient to let the community test).

That said I do see testers jobs as catching the "no shit this is stupid" stuff, and there's a lot of it. It doesn't matter right now because they at least kept the crazy OP shit out (which is a good), but no this does not feel like they had time to really go through and prune competitive movelists, especially when i still have to fucking select those from a customization screen.

There's a lot of "this is so dumb why would anyone ever use it" stuff, and it again leads back to the balance is ok if you look at it from a "one character" position, but if you start mapping all the variations as options I suspect it looks a lot worse.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

Stop bashing the testers. Fighting game balance is an ongoing thing.
Im not expecting perfect balance. But I am expected common sense balance. Aka the rushdown mix up machine not having the best projectile in the game, thats pretty common sense. Or the grappler that does the most damage in the game not being able to get in for fucking free and punish you for even attempting to keep him out. Not to mention all the hitbox issues such as certain highs and jabs not hitting crouch blocking, how is that jot the first thing tested knowing NRS history? There's really no excuse for this level of cluelessness after 4 games of the exact same mistakes.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Im not expecting perfect balance. But I am expected common sense balance. Aka the rushdown mix up machine not having the best projectile in the game, thats pretty common sense. Or the grappler that does the most damage in the game not being able to get in for fucking free and punish you for even attempting to keep him out. Not to mention all the hitbox issues such as certain highs and jabs not hitting crouch blocking, how is that jot the first thing tested knowing NRS history? There's really no excuse for this level of cluelessness after 4 games of the exact same mistakes.
Feels like there were teams that wanted to make characters play MK11, and other teams that wanted characters to play MKX.

xKMMx

Banned
This statement may seem controversial, but Mortal Kombat 11 has less defensive options than Mortal Kombat X in footsies. As I said in the first post, almost all strings are negative on block so you are stuck in a guessing game afterward. I suppose d+2 need to be strong to deal with the 50/50 mix up on throws.
The only thing I would tend to disagree with about this is...yea most strings are unsafe. But after looking through the frame data of several characters while playing story mode. A lot of the strings are minus on block but not quite “unsafe” I mean most strings I see are -8 or 10 at most. That might as well be safe in a game like MK11 where most strings are highs and the ones that aren’t have start ups that are higher than the 8 to 10 frame punish window of the typical minus string in MKX. Granted there are exceptions like Raidens B2 which is basically half a second on block. But aside from thi gs being highs and duckable You can feel comfortable chucking out just about any string in this game as long as you are within range. And I feel that makes it fun if you have an opponent that you can go back and forth with trying to fish for an opening. However the lack of low starters In the game means that yea your forced to play the in and out game trying to get a whiff punish so the game in that aspect is functioning as advertised.

xKMMx

Banned
Scorpion's teleport is full combo punishable whether he delays the mb or not. It is in no way safe
No joke. I’ve been blowing up Scorpions since launch day that want to lean on teleport and his F43 string. I use Noob and get an automatic 33 percent punish on almost every one of Scorps EX tele’s.