What's new

Discussion Which MKX Character has The Steepest Learning Curve?

JDM

Noob
I doubt I'm alone on this, but even if I am, I don't feel Kotal fits the bill at all. I personally don't feel he has a steep learning curve in the slightest. He's got a very basic (although very good) set of tools to learn and there aren't too many to have to worry about, so it's less to have to remember during the process of learning.

I'd say his "skill ceiling" is determined by the person who is using him. Knowledge of the character, his MUs, etc all come into play here. I'd say his learning curve is on the same level as Doomsday's from Injustice. He's easy to pick up and do well with if you're willing to learn his MUs.

Also, thanks to his b1 (and I think his d4?), he gets "free footsies" because of how good they are.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, so don't take it that way. I just disagree with your opinion.
Kotal is bar none one of the easiest characters in the game lol.

But hardest I'd say is Liu Kang. Mainly cause I'm flat out terrible at instant air specials in NRS games.

Cyrax is up there too.

E

Eldriken

Kotal is bar none one of the easiest characters in the game lol.

But hardest I'd say is Liu Kang. Mainly cause I'm flat out terrible at instant air specials in NRS games.

Cyrax is up there too.
Yep, yep.

I'd say the "hardest" thing about Kotal is extensively learning all of his variations to cover his unfavorable MUs. Oh, and how to not mess up his f2.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
In terms of execution:
Run cancel chars like a-list cage, swarm queen dvorah, DF liu etc. A few others have some hella hard execution like displacer raiden, demo sonya and nimble reptile too.

In terms of technicality or complex gameplans I'd say drunken master BRC, crystalline tremor, brood mother dvorah, cyrax, dualist Liu, spec ops cassie, demo sonya etc

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Took me forever to learn tempest.
Mainly because of chainfist and 2 frame link.
Drunken master isnt too bad. Utilizing the his tools however is a different story

FoolishProphet

Still waiting for Jade :\
Dragon naginata Tanya,duelist liu kang,heavy weapons and wrestler jax,high tech Jacqui,and special forces sonya. Just my opinion though,these are based on fundamentals,combos,and technique required.

I would say any of the run cancel characters. LK, Cage, high tech etc etc.... imo A-List seams to have the tightest links. D'Vorah was like on a 1 frame link a while back but got the link extended a bit...

But for me personally I just can not work out how to play Tremor. I do not know what it is but those moves of his where you use the directional input to guide the location of his punch and kicks make me trip over myself and that sucks as I really wanted to play him when i heard he was coming and even more when I saw him!

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Tossing in a coin for Ronin Takeda, who essentially has two stances and sets of normals, and lots of different variable blockstun strings to learn.
Oh yeah, he's also dependent on a three frame link for meterless damage.

Last edited:

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
At 16 of the original cast and the hardest to win 75% of the time with has been high tech jaqui.

Noob
I would say any of the run cancel characters. LK, Cage, high tech etc etc.... imo A-List seams to have the tightest links. D'Vorah was like on a 1 frame link a while back but got the link extended a bit...

But for me personally I just can not work out how to play Tremor. I do not know what it is but those moves of his where you use the directional input to guide the location of his punch and kicks make me trip over myself and that sucks as I really wanted to play him when i heard he was coming and even more when I saw him!
Im not the best Tremor but its usually f121 mix ups along with conditioning my opponent to expect the safe db2 at the end. Flexing at the end of each hard knockdown and doing hard to blockables, oh/low mixups in the corner.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile. Because he's my main and no one's more difficult than your main. :DOGE

In all seriousness, Dualist or MoStorms. There's way too many variables in their setups. I think Dualist takes the cake, though, since he's operating in 2 stances, and has actual links (pretty sure there are 1f links in there, too), on top of his orb setups.

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
The only characters I could think of that are generally difficult to play are Swarm Queen (I know fuck SQ) and Ancestral tbh.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
@boba_buster you are correct. Smoke isn't easy at all at high lvl. Couple that with his low dmg even when going full combo instead of vortex is funny as hell. Give him a slight dmg buff on his variation specific strings and air throw and fix b2 1 whiffing he would be solid and by no means broken just super honest.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Ronin comes to mind. With characters like Cage and D'Vorah, once you get the execution down that's it but for Ronin your neutral revolves around making reads with the Blades, you've got to keep track of where your Blades are/if you have them and your combos/conversions also depend on your positioning of them.

Also Dualist.

jmt

Noob
I found Cassie easier (With an exception of learning the combos). Having to learn all those combos for 0-3 grenades and keeping track of the grenades is a pain! And being in need of them while trying to find a safe reload setup.
Exactly.

Plus you have to learn the negative edge reload to play her at her best.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I wouldn't say unsafe , he has plenty of gaps to exploit but that's just another part of the learning curve and what makes it hard , f43 for instance , if you think they will neutral duck the 3 you can use 2 instead. Everything is a read with him , if they think you will use smoke bomb and you make the read you can use ex spear which has no gap and is safe on block. That's what I mean when I say he has a huge learning curve , so many options for you and your opponent
Maybe I'm too used to playing bad Smoke players who only slide and teleport. I just pull out my Quan Chi and punish their asses to death, haha!

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Ronin comes to mind. With characters like Cage and D'Vorah, once you get the execution down that's it but for Ronin your neutral revolves around making reads with the Blades, you've got to keep track of where your Blades are/if you have them and your combos/conversions also depend on your positioning of them.

Also Dualist.
When you were talking about Ronin and keeping track, Demolition Sonya comes to mind, except for Sonya there is a lot more strategy with that type of shit to learn.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Dualist or master of storms. Its not immediately at first glance obvious how the set ups work, and the variance in what can be done with set ups is all over the place.
Forgot about MoS. The placement can be really hard and strategic.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I doubt I'm alone on this, but even if I am, I don't feel Kotal fits the bill at all. I personally don't feel he has a steep learning curve in the slightest. He's got a very basic (although very good) set of tools to learn and there aren't too many to have to worry about, so it's less to have to remember during the process of learning.

I'd say his "skill ceiling" is determined by the person who is using him. Knowledge of the character, his MUs, etc all come into play here. I'd say his learning curve is on the same level as Doomsday's from Injustice. He's easy to pick up and do well with if you're willing to learn his MUs.

Also, thanks to his b1 (and I think his d4?), he gets "free footsies" because of how good they are.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, so don't take it that way. I just disagree with your opinion.
It really depends on the variation too. Blood God in my opinion being the hardest, and WG the easiest. The timing for F2, F2, F2 can be very difficult for a person who's just starting out. I think the Totems play a bit of a factor in his strategic abilities. Though he's definitely not "up there" in steep learning curves.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
It's pretty messed up that part (and a very important part at that) of a character's learning curve is determined by wonky hitboxes on specific characters. You've got to factor in a whole lot of shit the entire time you're playing.

"If the Clone is here, I can/can't do this", "If the person is a male/female, this is what I can/can't do", etc. Nonsense, I tell ya.
Yeah, that's what made me quit GM Sub Zero. I just didn't feel that was right in an MK game. Definitely annoying that you have to "classify" which works on who.