What's new

Discussion Which MKX Character has The Steepest Learning Curve?

E

Eldriken

In my opinion, Grandmaster Scrub Zero. He's pretty easy to pick up and the clone kills a lot of your opponent's options, but getting over the threshold of being ok to being good is difficult. You have to learn to not rely on your clone all the time while you're in neutral. When you put your opponent in the corner, you have to really get used to where you place your clone as the shatters will give your opponent a different height depending on the distance the clone is from them. In addition, in the corner, the spacing of the clone dictates what you can combo into, like if you put the clone right next to your opponent, you can't combo b33 shatter. I also find the weirder conversions in the corner into a clone freeze difficult. Like if you clip your opponent with an unexpected s1 or if you're carrying to the corner and don't know if you'll make it all the way there to freeze. The female hitboxes thing is also something that you need to play around or get used to.

TLDR the clone doesn't work properly or something
It's pretty messed up that part (and a very important part at that) of a character's learning curve is determined by wonky hitboxes on specific characters. You've got to factor in a whole lot of shit the entire time you're playing.

"If the Clone is here, I can/can't do this", "If the person is a male/female, this is what I can/can't do", etc. Nonsense, I tell ya.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Honestly

I think ANY character with cancel pressure/combos is hard to motor boat, then again I'm a scrub so what would I know.

Solignac

Noob
It's pretty messed up that a character's learning curve is determined by wonky hitboxes on specific characters. You've got to factor in a whole lot of shit the entire time you're playing.

"If the Clone is here, I can/can't do this", "If the person is a male/female, this is what I can/can't do", etc. Nonsense, I tell ya.
Yeah I agree. A lot of fighting games do the character specific thing but it's a real game changer. Especially when there's other characters who have a really killer gameplan that works on everyone.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In my opinion, Grandmaster Scrub Zero. He's pretty easy to pick up and the clone kills a lot of your opponent's options, but getting over the threshold of being ok to being good is difficult. You have to learn to not rely on your clone all the time while you're in neutral. When you put your opponent in the corner, you have to really get used to where you place your clone as the shatters will give your opponent a different height depending on the distance the clone is from them. In addition, in the corner, the spacing of the clone dictates what you can combo into, like if you put the clone right next to your opponent, you can't combo b33 shatter. I also find the weirder conversions in the corner into a clone freeze difficult. Like if you clip your opponent with an unexpected s1 or if you're carrying to the corner and don't know if you'll make it all the way there to freeze. The female hitboxes thing is also something that you need to play around or get used to.

TLDR the clone doesn't work properly or something
I agree, Subs neutral is tough in the matchups where the Klone gets dunked on. And I know what you mean about going from ok to good. I feel like I'm transitioning through that now. The hardest part is learning patience, which is a rare thing in this game. The corner conversions change on which height you end up hitting a frost bomb, etc... Overall he isn't too too hard because of the clone it's self, but it's harder to grow as a fighting game player with this character as opposed to Mileena who is about neutral and fundamentals. When you have a match where one move gives you an insane advantage, and another where that advantage is taken and you get crushed in footsies and damage. It feels like two different games at some times, so I agree. If you play nothing but GM SZ it can be jarring before you get used to it.
Edit: it's hard to tell if you actually are good at playing the neutral. Sometimes the clone does it for you, and sometimes SZ's neutral is shit on because of some characters like Mileena or F/T or D,Whora. So I can't always tell if I'm only winning because clone, and only losing because clone. Idk if it matters because I play the game through SZ's eyes so in the context of MKX, who cares? He is a badass pocket character because he dunks on a lot of character, but he also gets dunked a bit to, so I think his place in MKX is to be part of a team of characters. I'm surprised a lot of the tournament guys like king who like to counterpick(nothing wrong with that) don't have him as a backup. Not gonna lose to another sun god Kotal I'll tell you that much.

Last edited:

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Execution wise, I always felt D'vorah and A list Cage was really hard.
Gameplay wise, Cyber sub and mainly because he was nerfed constantly and to get a freeze you need to ex or use f1,1,1. In the corner, jump out and because that HTB set up doesnt work (atleast from what ive heard) ,his combos do minimal damage and he just has no reason to be picked over someone like Takeda for HTB or even GM sub besides mobility. Dualist, and unbreakable could also be a contender. While I can say run cancels characters are hard, I main Kang, am working on D'vorah and got HW jax within a minute, I find Cage incredibly hard compared to the rest
Edit: Although I can jail with Kang, the most iafb fireballs I can do is 3 and 4 if I sit in practice mode for hours. I can link everything except f4,4 fbrc 113 consistently

Last edited:

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Pretty much everyone with run cancels. Gotta remember which strings link into combos, which strings jail on block, how plus you are at all times, which options you and your opponent have at those things. It's like memorizing two sets of frame data instead of just one, one of which is provided, and the other you must memorize from either this site or your own testing, neither of which are always perfect sources of information. As far as it all goes, everyone else is easy to learn. Just look up some combos, read a guide if there is one to see which buttons you have to press, watch footage of someone better than you, test it on your friends and online scrubs etc. I suppose when you think about it, no one's exactly all that hard to learn. Sometimes execution is a pain though.
Everyone is a stretch. Cassie's in particular are brutal at first.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Execution wise, I always felt D'vorah and A list Cage was really hard.
Gameplay wise, Cyber sub and mainly because he was nerfed constantly and to get a freeze you need to ex or use f1,1,1. In the corner, jump out and because that HTB set up doesnt work (atleast from what ive heard) ,his combos do minimal damage and he just has no reason to be picked over someone like Takeda for HTB or even GM sub besides mobility. Dualist, and unbreakable could also be a contender. While I can say run cancels characters are hard, I main Kang, am working on D'vorah and got HW jax within a minute, I find Cage incredibly hard compared to the rest
Edit: Although I can jail with Kang, the most iafb fireballs I can do is 3 and 4 if I sit in practice mode for hours. I can link everything except f4,4 fbrc 113 consistently
D'Vorah SQ you mean? Because of bug cancels.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
You might wanna take into consideration that this question might have been based on a completely new player. I know I can learn JC easy, but how easy would it be for a new comer?
I don't like how this is being measured at all lol. We need a static way to determine how steep the curve is. If you say a new player well that varies from each new player to another. How much time are they putting into the lab and into learning MU's? New to fighters or new to MK? So they come from SF or something? Do you see where I'm getting at?

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I don't like how this is being measured at all lol. We need a static way to determine how steep the curve is. If you say a new player well that varies from each new player to another. How much time are they putting into the lab and into learning MU's? New to fighters or new to MK? So they come from SF or something? Do you see where I'm getting at?
I guess I could have been more specific. Just in general, if that makes any sense. Or which one for you had the steepest.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
D'Vorah SQ you mean? Because of bug cancels.
Well I also mean brood mother, I always forget D'vorah has 2 other variations besides SQ and yes, the execution for bug cancels do not come easy to me and I have spent hours trying to learn them.( It took me weeks before I got Kangs fbc cancels consistently) but to answer your questiion, I mean Brood and Sq, execution for SQ and the low crawler and the limit of tools she has compared to SQ.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Well I also mean brood mother, I always forget D'vorah has 2 other variations besides SQ and yes, the execution for bug cancels do not come easy to me and I have spent hours trying to learn them.( It took me weeks before I got Kangs fbc cancels consistently) but to answer your questiion, I mean Brood and Sq, execution for SQ and the low crawler and the limit of tools she has compared to SQ.
Forgot COMPLETELY about Brood Mother. Haven't heard that name in a while. Don't know a lot about her and didn't know it was steep because I can't find anyone that plays her. That variation, though decent, lacks what SQ and Venomous have IMO.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I'm gonna go for a little bit of a stretch here but I would say smoke can have a big learning curve , more so now after the nerfs. Not only does he have plenty of whiff and gender specific problems (like sub) but also he doesn't have a true vortex anymore. Every thing you do is on a read. If you go over head they can armor you , if you go low they can backdash , if you think they will do either instead of blocking you can jail with f4 etc. he has no armor which is a big change from 99% of the cast , and that alone is a huge learning curve in mkx.
@xKhaoTik @Matix218 @just_2swift

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
demo Sonya
I found Cassie easier (With an exception of learning the combos). Having to learn all those combos for 0-3 grenades and keeping track of the grenades is a pain! And being in need of them while trying to find a safe reload setup.

Reactions: jmt

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm gonna go for a little bit of a stretch here but I would say smoke can have a big learning curve , more so now after the nerfs. Not only does he have plenty of whiff and gender specific problems (like sub) but also he doesn't have a true vortex anymore. Every thing you do is on a read. If you go over head they can armor you , if you go low they can backdash , if you think they will do either instead of blocking you can jail with f4 etc. he has no armor which is a big change from 99% of the cast , and that alone is a huge learning curve in mkx.
I absolutely agree that given the many options both you and your opponent have as a smoke player (created by gaps, phase forward/back, invisibility) as well as his overall low damage output and complete lack of an armor move makes smoke without question a higher learning curve character especially when attempting to compete at a high level.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I agree for the most part other than him being the steepest. He's definitely hard and unsafe imo.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I agree for the most part other than him being the steepest. He's definitely hard and unsafe imo.
I wouldn't say unsafe , he has plenty of gaps to exploit but that's just another part of the learning curve and what makes it hard , f43 for instance , if you think they will neutral duck the 3 you can use 2 instead. Everything is a read with him , if they think you will use smoke bomb and you make the read you can use ex spear which has no gap and is safe on block. That's what I mean when I say he has a huge learning curve , so many options for you and your opponent

Matix218

Get over here!
I wouldn't say unsafe , he has plenty of gaps to exploit but that's just another part of the learning curve and what makes it hard , f43 for instance , if you think they will neutral duck the 3 you can use 2 instead. Everything is a read with him , if they think you will use smoke bomb and you make the read you can use ex spear which has no gap and is safe on block. That's what I mean when I say he has a huge learning curve , so many options for you and your opponent
And also with his overall low damage output you have to find ways to open your opponent up more times in order to kill them which adds to the steeper learning curve as well. You really have to be creative with how you mix things up.