What's new

Discussion Which MKX Character has The Steepest Learning Curve?

D. R.

Noob
Impostor easily. You can learn any of the cast in less than two hours: pokes, combos and application.

Try that with Impostor. Good luck learning all the different combo variations based on 1 of 36 special moves he steals along with understanding his reliance on meter and how to build it with otherwise lackluster frame data in that time period.

I implore anyone to pick up Impostor. He's fun.

#buffshinnok

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Cassie Cage. Even Sonic Fox fucks up instant air gun and gets punished for it, he also loses 1-2% per combo as the optimized ones are very hard

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Well Bo is already a shit character that requires a lot of work to have success with, while adding having to keep up with drinking and not barf while maintaining the neutral makes the hill to climb that much harder.
Forgot about that puke. That's honestly a bullshit thing they put in the game. I honestly would rather have Noob, Kabal, Baraka, Fujin, or Havik in the game. But nope, we get BRC...

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
It's difficult when you can lose the entire tide of momentum just for puking. You have to constantly drink while keeping pressure on your opponent or drinking while getting pressured. Cause a vomit equals free combo for your opponent. But it's worth it for the high meter less damage with him.
Perfect explanation. So you have to keep drinking to not puke is what I got out of that. There must be combos where it ends in a drink.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
If we are talking about characters:
Liu (his combos in dragon fire needs very good execution to go above 40%)
Tremor, Bo, Erron, D'vorah, F/T also are hard to learn.

Variation: Drunken Master, Daulist, Hatrick, Ronin, Deceptive (how do you guys do his combos when you cant see him lol).

Kung Jin is the easiest charecter in the game to learn. I think everyone in tym should have a pocket shaolin.
For Deceptive, it's not really steep. I played around a bit with Deceptive, and it's just feeling of when you do things. It's practice, that's all. Hard at first, but easy once you hit the lab. It won't take too long.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
High tech Jacqui. All the pain of A-List run cancels with a much harder neutral to learn and no full screen presence.
High Tech? Haha! High Tech is braindead compared to Full Auto. With Full Auto, you have to keep pressing DF2. Very challenging!
In all seriousness, I don't know anything about HT. I feel like it's one of those variations that no one uses, because it's hard and inferior to shotgun.
Thanks for the Cassie guide by the way! (I believe it was you at least)

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
High Tech? Haha! High Tech is braindead compared to Full Auto. With Full Auto, you have to keep pressing DF2. Very challenging!
In all seriousness, I don't know anything about HT. I feel like it's one of those variations that no one uses, because it's hard and inferior to shotgun.
Thanks for the Cassie guide by the way! (I believe it was you at least)
It isn't inferior to shotgun, just different. It's all a matter of understanding her neutral. Her block pressure is probably the best in the game to be honest, and any stray hit can be converted to full combo with good enough execution.

The difficult thing is learning how to get in and use your walk speed because your normals and pokes are shit. Also requires a lot of MU specific knowledge (e.g. which characters can I poke back against? Which ones do I have to walk back and bait something else? Which chars have df2 push them too far away for s4?) to be even remotely successful.

And of course some matchups just aren't even worth trying as high tech (lel D'Vorah).

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
It isn't inferior to shotgun, just different. It's all a matter of understanding her neutral. Her block pressure is probably the best in the game to be honest, and any stray hit can be converted to full combo with good enough execution.

The difficult thing is learning how to get in and use your walk speed because your normals and pokes are shit. Also requires a lot of MU specific knowledge (e.g. which characters can I poke back against? Which ones do I have to walk back and bait something else? Which chars have df2 push them too far away for s4?) to be even remotely successful.

And of course some matchups just aren't even worth trying as high tech (lel D'Vorah).
I've always heard HT is inferior. I played against a few, with ~500-1000 wins, and let's just say the outcome wasn't great for them. I either played Cassie Brawler, KJ Shaolin, or QC Summoner.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I've always heard HT is inferior. I played against a few, with ~500-1000 wins, and let's just say the outcome wasn't great for them. I either played Cassie Brawler, KJ Shaolin, or QC Summoner.
Honestly, and this is not meaning to sound cocky or arrogant in the slightest, I don't think they were using her correctly. High tech gets a lot of dirty stuff that not many people apply. People will say high tech is low tier until the actually play a decent one.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Honestly, and this is not meaning to sound cocky or arrogant in the slightest, I don't think they were using her correctly. High tech gets a lot of dirty stuff that not many people apply. People will say high tech is low tier until the actually play a decent one.
That's honestly is probably the case. The people I played just probably gave me the sense she was a bad character.

D

Deleted member 9158

Whichever one keeps getting nerfed the hardest and most often

Hiyomoto

Noob
Perfect explanation. So you have to keep drinking to not puke is what I got out of that. There must be combos where it ends in a drink.
Pretty much every specials recovery frames on hit can be canceled into a drink. So ending your combos with specials grants a drink. Or you can meter burn it and get to level 3 faster. The drunker you are, the longer you vomit. More damage though.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Pretty much every specials recovery frames on hit can be canceled into a drink. So ending your combos with specials grants a drink. Or you can meter burn it and get to level 3 faster. The drunker you are, the longer you vomit. More damage though.
Strategic payoff. High risk, low or high reward?

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I wouldn't say unsafe , he has plenty of gaps to exploit but that's just another part of the learning curve and what makes it hard , f43 for instance , if you think they will neutral duck the 3 you can use 2 instead. Everything is a read with him , if they think you will use smoke bomb and you make the read you can use ex spear which has no gap and is safe on block. That's what I mean when I say he has a huge learning curve , so many options for you and your opponent
As I said before (I think at least) I've only played bad Smoke players who only slide and teleport which is easily punishable. They just make me want to just stay away from him.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Dualist isn't as hard as everyone thinks lol
It is because you have to adapt to so many issues - useless healing, useless air orb, very slow zoning, orbs exploding on walls, orbs getting too far from Liu Kang, orbs that has small hurtbox, tight links to combo...

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
But OP is talking about learning curve, not necessarily difficult. Yes run cancels that jail consistently is a technical challenge, but once you've got it down where does the curve go?
If you're playing high tech the curve just gets steeper, since now you have to master her neutral game and getting in with your 0 full screen presence and teeny tiny limbs with no fast advancing mid

Seams to me there are two separate discussions going on here.

1) One is talking about execution, as in physically playing the character.
2) The other is talking about how to effectively play the character in regards to match ups.

These are in fact very different topics.