What's new

General/Other - Tempest What +12 Means to Tempest Lao

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Easily "reliece."
Yeah, I was tempted to quote just that by itself lol.

By the way, about not being able to follow up with standing 1, isn't that a hitbox issue moreso than it being a high hit? I'm stuck on the last patch since the patch isn't ready for PS4 EU and it's still happening on a few characters with the +27 advantage.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Ummm...

A) This is old news.

B) Re-read my post. I said if you read that your opponent will press buttons, then you do f23. If your opponent decides to press buttons, the f23 will beat him, which means that he's hit and he can't armor out of it.
how would you read this?
how could you predict that their poke wouldn't have longer reach?
how do you know the string they input doesn't have faster frames than F2?

so many scenarios where i could see that go wrong.... i may be wrong but cant you MB right through it anyways even if you poke out because the gap in that string is so large and noticeable?

coolwhip

Noob
how would you read this?
how could you predict that their poke wouldn't have longer reach?
how do you know the string they input doesn't have faster frames than F2?

so many scenarios where i could see that go wrong.... i may be wrong but cant you MB right through it anyways even if you poke out because the gap in that string is so large and noticeable?
Uh I would know this because I said you do the f23 after ex hat on block. Ex hat on block is +12. F2 is 11 frames. Simple math lets me know that the f2 is guaranteed in that scenario and will beat everything the opponent attempts.

That's actually what this whole thread is about: KL's options after ex hat.

Last edited:

D4G

Win At All Cost
I can see Kung Lao been targeted by cry babies who get what they want, nrs is going to nerf him to the ground cause ppl know about him, he will be bottom 2 by tremor reliece, just you watch, nrs fix his 112124 string on input too hard on pads and leave him bee.
Poor guy, You seem lost. EventHubs is that way and Gamefaqs is 2 miles down in the opposite direction, look for the big sign that says "Welcome to Scrub City". Cant miss it.

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
b321 xx orb hat isn't legit
f23 xx orb hat isn't legit
and now 1,1,2 ~ xx orb hat can be crouched poked now.

Even now, Tempest still lives.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Poor guy, You seem lost. EventHubs is that way and Gamefaqs is 2 miles down in the opposite direction, look for the big sign that says "Welcome to Scrub City". Cant miss it.
Wow, has to be the funniest thing I've read all day :p

@coolwhip I thought f2 was 11 frames? Could be wrong, since the difference is easily mistaken. However, if I'm right, that one frame could be quite impactful.

coolwhip

Noob
Wow, has to be the funniest thing I've read all day :p

@coolwhip I thought f2 was 11 frames? Could be wrong, since the difference is easily mistaken. However, if I'm right, that one frame could be quite impactful.
Yes, it's 11. It was 10 before they added an extra frame for every move in the game so I still get confused sometimes.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Lao can still crossup.
As already overstated, he has to commit to 112124 pressure now.
Even that is not guaranteed however.

Characters with faster d2s can uppercut after.
Most d1s and d3s can poke under Lao's s1. Haven't tested d4s or b4s.
Both Spinning Hat and Orbiting Hat can be backdashed, at least by most characters. Haven't tested the entire cast.
**F21 can usually catch backdashes. When I tried f23, the "3" whiffed.
Most everyone can armor through Orbiting Hat when cancelled off anything that isn't 112124.

Lao is safe on a lot of strings. Predicting when he will use Orbiting Hat will still be tough on the opponent, and can perhaps be used to bait punishable armored reversals.

EDIT: I'd like to add, as you said, that f2 is a good follow-up after Orbiting Hat.
f2 will stuff pokes, catch jumps, etc, but dies to armored reversals.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob

Lao is safe on a lot of strings. Predicting when he will use Orbiting Hat will still be tough on the opponent, and can perhaps be used to bait punishable armored reversals.
Yes, before DJT really started abusing 112124~orbitting hat, he did the above a lot. He was mainly relying on b321~orbitting hat, but what he would do is do a b3 stagger, or b321 without cancelling, and because the opponent is expecting the hat cancel, they don't react on time, and by the time they do, DJT does another b3 and catches them.

Lao is more interesting and less straightforward now.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
By the way, about not being able to follow up with standing 1, isn't that a hitbox issue moreso than it being a high hit? I'm stuck on the last patch since the patch isn't ready for PS4 EU and it's still happening on a few characters with the +27 advantage.
Uh I would know this because I said you do the f23 after ex hat on block. Ex hat on block is +12. F2 is 11 frames. Simple math lets me know that the f2 is guaranteed in that scenario and will beat everything the opponent attempts.

That's actually what this whole thread is about: KL's options after ex hat.
If you do a very tight run cancel to make Lao and your opponent as close as possible after the ExHatSpin shouldn't 1 jail? I'm not sure if its Quan specific but you can run cancel into a 1,4 after a MbRune and it will jail despite the MbRune being a low block.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
@coolwhip can you help me understand the video?

Lao is +12 and goes into the 11 string which is 8 frames of startup, shouldn't this be guaranteed before Tanya can armour out? Is there an execution error in the video or has she low profiled the first hit? I don't have Tanya and don't understand how scenario works, the numbers just don't add up to me.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING

Lao is +12 and goes into the 11 string which is 8 frames of startup, shouldn't this be guaranteed before Tanya can armour out? Is there an execution error in the video or has she low profiled the first hit? I don't have Tanya and don't understand how scenario works, the numbers just don't add up to me.
11 starts High.

coolwhip

Noob

She shouldn't be able to armor. I think what DMS was showing is that if you hesitate slightly before doing your follow up string she'll be able to armor.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Have we moved into the era of downplaying any sort of pressure if the opponent has options other than block? Not the decent Kung Lao players, but I've noticed a distinct increase in greediness regarding frame advantage. It's almost as a character's bad unless he gets to do what he wants without thinking 100% of the time.