What's new

Reptile IS top 10?

I usually have reptile at around 8th or 9th in my MU charts. People who think he isn't must not have played a top reptile player before.

PerfectMindGame I think they do. He avoids all of their force ball shenanigans with his mobility, punishes dash easily with 21 spin. And, well... he's KOONG LOU. None of Lao's tools are shut down by reptile.
uh i'd like to have a word with you about this mu :p you should know the main problem reptile gives lao, but if you don't I'll explain.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
uh i'd like to have a word with you about this mu :p you should know the main problem reptile gives lao, but if you don't I'll explain.
pls do, MITDJT, I sometimes have issues with this MU because of Lao's mobility w/teleport and dive kick.

Name 10 characters definitively better.
he's top 10, dnt care what anyone says haha and also the only bad mus he has and this is from experience: cyrax, kabal, and sonya and that is it. What ppl still fail to realize is reptile beats kenshi haha, and kenshi is top 3 in the game, so that is already something that puts him into top 10. Reptile beats freddy imo too, so he beats the two top 5 chars, how many ppl can say that about their char?

pls do, MITDJT, I sometimes have issues with this MU because of Lao's mobility w/teleport and dive kick.
I'll give you a breakdown of things that'll make this mu a whole lot easier:
*utilize the d4 like your life depends on it because it ducks lao's standing 2, has great range, safe on block, and very good to use in footsies vs lao
*if a lao gets cross over happy, dnt hesitate to njp them then follow with a full combo punish
* to punish tele use d2, but if for some reason he is changing up his tele timing then use the d4 to blow it up bcuz his d4 lowers his hitbox where the tele 3 will miss no matter what
* use ex slow/fast orb to bait him into teleporting, then punish the whiffed teleport
* limit dash use, the only time it is good is for closing distance usually in this mu, but it also punishes laos 2,4,1+2 which is -12 on block so always keep that in mind
*as i'm sure you know, bait out spins bcuz lao doesn't want you close in, he wants to keep you away
* if lao tries to throw hats consistently, dnt be afraid to use the acid spit since it is fast and is a good tradeoff.
*be very careful what you do when he jumps, bcuz he could dive kick, go for jip, or tele. I recommend doing d4s alot when he jumps or njp.
*ex dash is a risk, but take it if it is necessary. lao can punish ex dash with 21 spin to combo, naked spin, or x ray so be aware of that.

Human Cyrax IS better than Reptile. Stop reading "I'm enough of a scrub to pick up Cyrax just for the command grab bomb trap but Human can't do it so he must be the worst in the game" threads from May 2011 lol
Human Cyrax gives Reptile a run for him money though, so no way am I reading into the 2011 threads. Those old theories have been tested and proven to be wrong, which is why we got a whole new tier list. No longer do people think Shang is top tier or Jade/Kano are mid tier characters, there comes a time when people have to start going with their guts.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Kabal, Kenshi, KL, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy, Smoke, Skarlet, Cage, Jax, (NPO)

Kitana could be too. They are probably ranked around the same. Reptile is good but he has some serious holes.

All the top but not top 5 characters have holes. He's in that group for sure.

Reptile is top 10. No ifs ands or buts about it. Dude's D4 is fucking good on block, puts him in a good spot plus he can lock down on the mobility of certain characters like Kitana off a whiff fan throw or combo attempt. Plus he's one of the few characters who owns Kenshi.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Reptile is top 10. No ifs ands or buts about it. Dude's D4 is fucking good on block, puts him in a good spot plus he can lock down on the mobility of certain characters like Kitana off a whiff fan throw or combo attempt. Plus he's one of the few characters who owns Kenshi.
I wouldn't say "own" Kenshi, but yeah, he has it a lot better off than other characters.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Damn, I defintely should. I don't know it though, all of my Lao vs Reptile MU exp has come from online sadly. I've applied the little knowledge in our cage vs rep matches to the Lao MU, but I honestly don't know.

Damn, I defintely should. I don't know it though, all of my Lao vs Reptile MU exp has come from online sadly. I've applied the little knowledge in our cage vs rep matches to the Lao MU, but I honestly don't know.
well i explained the mu in this thread, so you can check that out.

Obs_SmSwag

well i explained the mu in this thread, so you can check that out.
Lao's tele 2 if timed right can blow up D4 (rarely) but yeah d4 usually works. I definitely wouldn't advise using reptile's uppercut because it's not that fast and a descently timed tele 3 can blow that up for 40%. I still don't think there's anything of Lao's that reptile specifically shuts down, some of the things you named can be said for the majority of the cast. Also, reptile cant use all of his tools as effectively against Lao.

We gotta play this MU before I head out to Denver in December, or before I go to Arizona late January man!

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
not being top ten doesnt mean the character is not good. Reptile is great but imo not top ten but juuust outside it.. maaaybbbe ten but i dont think so. 11-13 imo.
Kenshi, Lao, kabal, sonya, smoke, cyrax, jax, skarlet, freddy, imo are all deff better and then its shitshow between characters like kitana, reptile, raiden, mileena, jc

Lao's tele 2 if timed right can blow up D4 (rarely) but yeah d4 usually works. I definitely wouldn't advise using reptile's uppercut because it's not that fast and a descently timed tele 3 can blow that up for 40%. I still don't think there's anything of Lao's that reptile specifically shuts down, some of the things you named can be said for the majority of the cast. Also, reptile cant use all of his tools as effectively against Lao.

We gotta play this MU before I head out to Denver in December, or before I go to Arizona late January man!
you can always d2 his tele if you anticipate it, if you dnt anticipate it, then just d4 it. Reptile shuts down standing 2 in footsies and his jumping around bcuz of reptile's d4. njp blows up cross ups and ex slow or fast orb can bait teles easily. Dash also punishes 2,4,1+2, something most chars can't punish. Don't forget low hitbox chars make his rushdown defective in ways.

not being top ten doesnt mean the character is not good. Reptile is great but imo not top ten but juuust outside it.. maaaybbbe ten but i dont think so. 11-13 imo.
Kenshi, Lao, kabal, sonya, smoke, cyrax, jax, skarlet, freddy, imo are all deff better and then its shitshow between characters like kitana, reptile, raiden, mileena, jc
raiden is just a no completely lol, and this is coming from me and I know reptile inside and have played him against some of the best mk9 players, he is 100 percent top 10. There shouldn't be any doubting this, he has alot of tools all around. I haven't even seen skarlets around top 8s, so i'm still not too sure why ppl got her top 10.

Obs_SmSwag

you can always d2 his tele if you anticipate it, if you dnt anticipate it, then just d4 it. Reptile shuts down standing 2 in footsies and his jumping around bcuz of reptile's d4. njp blows up cross ups and ex slow or fast orb can bait teles easily. Dash also punishes 2,4,1+2, something most chars can't punish. Don't forget low hitbox chars make his rushdown defective in ways.
Even if you anticipate it, a Tele 3 can smack him out of the uppercut. Reptile's D4's not enough to shut down Lao's mobility. He can with Jk Dk over reptile for free. But yes he can duck Standing 2, i'm not sure if he can punish a ducked standing 2 though. Punishing 2,4 1+3 with Dash is something i've never even heard of and if that works it's huge. I can't see Reptile beating or going even with Lao. He can't zone him out or rush him down effectively. I'll look into the Mu more though.

Even if you anticipate it, a Tele 3 can smack him out of the uppercut. Reptile's D4's not enough to shut down Lao's mobility. He can with Jk Dk over reptile for free. But yes he can duck Standing 2, i'm not sure if he can punish a ducked standing 2 though. Punishing 2,4 1+3 with Dash is something i've never even heard of and if that works it's huge. I can't see Reptile beating or going even with Lao. He can't zone him out or rush him down effectively. I'll look into the Mu more though.
tele isn't a problem once you learn how to deal with it. Dive kicks are irrelevant if i'm playing footsies and just waiting for them so i can just block and punish. I can d4 under all his standing and i said punish 2,4 1+2 :p haha. Lao's tele is super overrated, me and denzell should make a thread on how to punish it because it really isn't hard haha.

Obs_SmSwag

tele isn't a problem once you learn how to deal with it. Dive kicks are irrelevant if i'm playing footsies and just waiting for them so i can just block and punish. I can d4 under all his standing and i said punish 2,4 1+2 :p haha. Lao's tele is super overrated, me and denzell should make a thread on how to punish it because it really isn't hard haha.
Yeah man, we're just gonna have to play this out lol. Nothing either of us can say will change much. We should play this soon, or if my next check is fat enough maybe i'll see you at NEC lol, if you're going.