What's new

Reptile IS top 10?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I have done A LOT of thinking and messing around with Reptile getting ready for Dallas. In doing so, I'm going to admit this to MITDJT GGA 16 Bit and everyone who has told me otherwise, since I have gotten into multiple heated discussions about this, that I was a blind fool, and even Kenshi could see how great this character is at this point as the matchup itself clearly shows the proof. He is definitely top ten, and there are quite a few MU's I have been playing that I used to think were bad that I just can't see anymore, just from changing up my strategy just a little. (Cage being an example) Although I won't go as far as MIT and THTB do as to say he only has like two bad MU's, I am willing to admit that I was definitely in the wrong with him having around the range of 7-9. I would say like 3-5 sounds perfect, because a couple of them I'm still just not sure about such Cyrax and Skarlet. I have been an arrogant and downplaying fool...that is all.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Numbers are lame...

...now group tier placings are awesome possum.

I don't think Reptile is S tier but A? yes it makes sense.
He is an S just based off of his pure fundamental prowess, one thing I have always had a problem with are the speed of all of Reptile's normals. Lately however, just sitting around and looking at the range and applicability of half of those normals, it's absurd. They are all that slow for a reason, over the course of this week I am going to do my very best to incorporate as much of it into my game as possible.

Edit: Oh and FUCK YOU GUAMO! :p

NKZero

Noob
Well who are his bad MU's? Off the top of my head I can list the following characters: Kabal, Kung Lao, Smoke, Mileena, Sonya

I could be wrong on some of these but those I feel are tough for him...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Well who are his bad MU's? Off the top of my head I can list the following characters: Kabal, Kung Lao, Smoke, Mileena, Sonya

I could be wrong on some of these but those I feel are tough for him...
Smoke and Mileena aren't IMHO, I believe them to be the following:

Kung Lao (Maybe 5-5, I have been improving and finding new setups for this one)
Kabal
Cyrax
Sonya
Skarlet (I'm still debating this one, but I think 4-6 atm, until we figure something out)
Freddy

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
He is an S just based off of his pure fundamental prowess, one thing I have always had a problem with are the speed of all of Reptile's normals. Lately however, just sitting around and looking at the range and applicability of half of those normals, it's absurd. They are all that slow for a reason, over the course of this week I am going to do my very best to incorporate as much of it into my game as possible.

Edit: Oh and FUCK YOU GUAMO! :p
;_; I wub you too

Well when I think about it he might be at least A+...he's so annoying.

Welcome to the civilized world.

Also Reptile beats Kitana. We need to be serious about that.
What's annoying is like...there's no clear gameplay strategy since Reptile has tools to make the matchup awkward and eliminate Kitana's tools.

Reptile players should pick Kitana and see just how annoying and awkward that MU is. By the end of the set you'll wish Reptile players would be castrated and shamed in public.

I mean with Kenshi you can at least kinda know what Kenshi can do but with Reptile its like...

he throws out a forceball that lasts longer than Sub-Zero mirrors and that eliminates jumping since Reptile can throw more projectiles...
...assing since dash punishes it so easily, giving Reptile the knockdown which is nightmares for the princess...
...free pressure once you respect his options...
...eliminates zoning since he will win the trade...
...and he can get free dashes in since the forceball hits after the dash, making it safe.

AND THAT'S JUST ONE MOVE.
ONE. MOVE.
Don't even get me started on his dash, his stupid d4 into either acid hand or invisibility, and his weird normals and hit box and retarded oki setups.

"B-b-but Sonya is just as annoying for us!"
BOOHOO everyone has to deal with her stupid safe things and you have the option to throw out 9001 projectiles and walk away with your Flash-tier backwalk and go "lol good luck getting in" You have the ability to keep out REAAAALLY well more so than Kitana actually. Reptile can make Kabal second guess his stuff. Let that sink in.

Kitana players have no options against Reptile that like work 100& of the time.

We have to rely on him messing up and punishing that stupid dash. We only have a 4 frame margin of error.

10/10 yes I mad. Reptile players have no right to downplay themselves.

It's like the rich guy complaining about income tax.

When Reptile does his stupid laugh round win pose vomit thing I feel like he's mocking me....

NKZero

Noob
Smoke and Mileena aren't IMHO, I believe them to be the following:

Kung Lao
Kabal
Cyrax
Sonya
Skarlet (I'm still debating this one, but I think 4-6 atm, until we figure something out)
Freddy
Actually I forgot Freddy but yeah I agree on that. I just feel that not only does Smoke negate Reptile's zoning but he can avoid most of his set-ups. He has better footsies as well and can easily initiate a smoke bomb trade or hit Reptile out of a force ball animation. Mileena is awkward I still believe it's slightly in her favour but idk...

We both agree on Lao, Sonya, Freddy and Kabal. I know nothing about Skarlet so I won't comment lol. Why is Cyrax bad just out of curiosity?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Actually I forgot Freddy but yeah I agree on that. I just feel that not only does Smoke negate Reptile's zoning but he can avoid most of his set-ups. He has better footsies as well and can easily initiate a smoke bomb trade or hit Reptile out of a force ball animation. Mileena is awkward I still believe it's slightly in her favour but idk...

We both agree on Lao, Sonya, Freddy and Kabal. I know nothing about Skarlet so I won't comment lol. Why is Cyrax bad just out of curiosity?
People don't play safe against Mileena, you have to focus your game around baiting telekicks and rolls, which is easier than people think when Reptile has meter. If I'm not zoning from full screen nets are a threat, I can't punish nets with ex slide because the last hits whiff and don't send him full screen and he gets free pressure because of it. Better footsies imo (I think Cyrax has some of the best footsies in the game) and insane damage causing me to always have to save two bars of meter at all times. I think the only things that save Reptile in this MU are if he gets a knockdown, or can stay full screen which isn't often. Also dashes don't pose as much of a threat as they do to many other characters.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Kabal
Kung Lao
Kenshi
Sonya
Freddy
Cyrax
Skarlet
Jax
Smoke
Johnny Cage
Kitana
Reptile <------ 12

Based in the good MUs, he's top 12. That doesn't mean he's bad. Why do you guys feel the need to quantify everything?

GuamoKun

Kabal
Kung Lao
Kenshi
Sonya
Freddy
Cyrax
Skarlet
Jax
Smoke
Johnny Cage
Kitana
Reptile <------ 12

Based in the good MUs, he's top 12. That doesn't mean he's bad. Why do you guys feel the need to quantify everything?
Yeah, which is why the number placement thing is weird and why it shouldn't be used.

Also, some MUs are probably dated, wrong, or based on old gameplay patterns.

This game is STILL changing at some levels.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Yeah, which is why the number placement thing is weird and why it shouldn't be used.

Also, some MUs are probably dated, wrong, or based on old gameplay patterns.

This game is STILL changing at some levels.
Reptile is an A lister, but he has a hard time with S tiers. That's it, no one is downplaying anything. It's just the cold, hard, erect truth.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Kabal
Kung Lao
Kenshi
Sonya
Freddy
Cyrax
Skarlet
Jax
Smoke
Johnny Cage
Kitana
Reptile <------ 12

Reptile is better than JC, Kitana, Jax, is more viable than Smoke, and until someone proves otherwise and SHOWS me, Skarlet isn't a tier priority over anyone that's competing for top 10.

Kabal
Kung Lao
Kenshi
Sonya (Not positive on this one)
Freddy
Cyrax
Reptile
And then it gets sketchy from here.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
What's cold hard and erect right now?

The flag pole that I am next to, saluting since finally a Reptile player is saying Reptile is good.
I've never seen a Reptile worth mentioning that's said Reptile is bad. He destroys most of the cast. Just as the top 11 on top of him does too. But he doesn't have a NDC, his zoning isn't IAGB, his jab isn't 6 frames and his d3 isn't shang's. Acknowledging his weaknesses isn't downplaying.

GuamoKun

I've never seen a Reptile worth mentioning that's said Reptile is bad. He destroys most of the cast. Just as the top 11 on top of him does too. But he doesn't have a NDC, his zoning isn't IAGB, his jab isn't 6 frames and his d3 isn't shang's. Acknowledging his weaknesses isn't downplaying.
1st world problems. Kappa