What's new

Breakthrough - Raiden F1 being a high now redundant, Quan has a 6f D1

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I don't know where the "end of world" sentiment comes from but . . .

But you can't just compare pokes across the cast without any context unless you're want to just stating facts to state facts.
Just saying, people are mentioning his d1 being -9 is like so bad, while half the cast has the same thing. It's certainly not an uncommon thing at all.

Maybe you Raiden players should focus on getting his b1 fixed (unable to low profile it) instead of whining about his pokes.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Just saying, people are mentioning his d1 being -9 is like so bad, while half the cast has the same thing. It's certainly not an uncommon thing at all.

Maybe you Raiden players should focus on getting his b1 fixed (unable to low profile it) instead of whining about his pokes.
his b1 is a common talked about topic. The whining about his pokes is because I think the general consensus is he's good but just bad/predictable in neutral with minimal ability to get going. (Outside of Thunder God)

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Also why are people talking about Raiden's d1 being -9 is like the end of the world? Let me list you how many characters have fast pokes that are that negative on block:

1- Cassie's d1, 7f, -8
2- Ermac's d1, 6f, -10
3- Jason's d3, 11f, -8 (lmao?)
4- Kano's d1 is 9f, -9, and his d4 is 8f, -7
5- Kitana's d1, 8f, -9
6- Kotal's d4, 6f, -10
7- Predator's d4, 8f, -13
8- Need I talk about Quan's?
9- Scorpion's d1, 6f, -9
10- Shinnok's d1, 6f, -9
11- Subzero's fastest pokes are d1 and d4, both 9f and -6 on block (NotLikeThis)
12- Tremor's d4, 12f, -8

Definitely not the end of the world but each character you named has a reliable mid (except tremor).

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Pre-day 1. Block a d1 and cyrax pulls your arm into a happy little -50-50.
d1 were outright punishable back then, every single one.

You have a safe option with B2 into Shocker for ~ 11%, but hey that's none of my business.
Yeah, especially on a whiff. Especially in a game where you can extend KD invulnerability for free.

People talk about "fixing mids" even more. That won't make him neither good nor interesting though.

In fact, nothing short of remaking other two variations from scratch will make him interesting. And definitely not being like 70th offensive up-close character in this game.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
is this still being talked about? holy shit, oh well. and @B W1zZ while what you said about pig is true to a certain extent (and well i can understand his behavior at times due to frustration, frustration of looking forward to a character for forever, and wanting to succeed with said character, only for the character to be absolute garbage, does that excuse everything he has ever said? no, not really but it is at least understandable), his complaints about kenshi are very well justified unfortunately, as much as i dont want to believe it, kenshi since day 1 has been absolute trash, and he is still garbage, hell how many kenshi mains do you see anymore? everyone that plays kenshi either switched mains or gave up on going competitive, that kind of shows something about the state of the character, and the same point can be said about raiden, although to a slightly (and i mean slightly) lesser extent since you still got digit placing very well with raiden, I do think raiden needs a bit of help to thrust him back into the competitive scene, i just dont know what since i dont play the character.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
d1 were outright punishable back then, every single one.

Yeah, especially on a whiff. Especially in a game where you can extend KD invulnerability for free.

People talk about "fixing mids" even more. That won't make him neither good nor interesting though.

In fact, nothing short of remaking other two variations from scratch will make him interesting. And definitely not being like 70th offensive up-close character in this game.
Yeah, and good luck confirming within 10 frames whether you blocked a d1 or d3, especially when so many characters had low profile or hurtbox lowering d3s.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Yeah, and good luck confirming within 10 frames whether you blocked a d1 or d3, especially when so many characters had low profile or hurtbox lowering d3s.
Nobody said it could be reliably done on reaction, although -13 was enough for some characters to go with default mids without giving a shit whether it was d1, d3 or whether it was a blocked poke at all.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Nobody said it could be reliably done on reaction, although -13 was enough for some characters to go with default mids without giving a shit whether it was d1, d3 or whether it was a blocked poke at all.
And good players knew that so they blocked. That's how you start mixups.

i think if they change f1,and make it a 8-9f mid it whould be perfectly ballanced.he will no longer be able to punish everything but he will be able to apply more pressure(and ofc he will have again a reliable mid).
he also needs a dmg buff,his combos are like 40 hits,32% dmg,wtf?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
i think if they change f1,and make it a 8-9f mid it whould be perfectly ballanced.he will no longer be able to punish everything but he will be able to apply more pressure(and ofc he will have again a reliable mid).
Did Raidens ever actually punish everything? I barely see or hear about things that leave you next to your opponent and being -7 to -9 (anything more then that it doesn't really matter).

I guess you're talking about TG damage and that probably could use a damage buff. I don't really play that one.

But really though, I wouldn't mind losing a mixup tool (either the overhead or low preferably the low), if MoS could get a useable variation move and both that variation and displacer got better normals. Heck take out superman. If orbs did something I wouldn't really have to be near you.

Did Raidens ever actually punish everything? I barely see or hear about things that leave you next to your opponent and being -7 to -9 (anything more then that it doesn't really matter).

I guess you're talking about TG damage and that probably could use a damage buff. I don't really play that one.

But really though, I wouldn't mind losing a mixup tool (either the overhead or low preferably the low), if MoS could get a useable variation move and both that variation and displacer got better normals. Heck take out superman. If orbs did something I wouldn't really have to be near you.
f1 is the best normal punisher in game paired with jax's 1.
but,i whould trade that every day for a good mid.

y i am talking about thundergod,he has mediocre dmg.lots of his combos do 30%-35% when he should be hitting for 38%-40%.

his other variations are pure shit and they should be reballanced if nrs wants them to ever see tournament play.

Vaiist

Noob

y i am talking about thundergod,he has mediocre dmg.lots of his combos do 30%-35% when he should be hitting for 38%-40%.

his other variations are pure shit and they should be reballanced if nrs wants them to ever see tournament play.
I think TG's damage is fair considering his insane meter building. You might sacrifice a slight amount of midscreen damage, but you basically always have armor or a breaker ready to go. I also really wouldn't say his other variations are pure shit. Yes, they have their problems, and as much as I love Raiden it's impossible not to acknowledge his place in the community and tournament scene, but there's a lot going on there. I think it would only take very small changes to make MoS and Displacer worlds better. If all you did was reduce the startup and recovery frames of orbs and teleports just a little bit more he'd be scary.

I think TG's damage is fair considering his insane meter building. You might sacrifice a slight amount of midscreen damage, but you basically always have armor or a breaker ready to go. I also really wouldn't say his other variations are pure shit. Yes, they have their problems, and as much as I love Raiden it's impossible not to acknowledge his place in the community and tournament scene, but there's a lot going on there. I think it would only take very small changes to make MoS and Displacer worlds better. If all you did was reduce the startup and recovery frames of orbs and teleports just a little bit more he'd be scary.
34% off a f1 punish using a bar of meter is not that good i'd say...its not unfair to have 37%-40% 1 bar bnbs...
i think MoS will always be a shenanigan variation with no true usefullness against the top tier chars of the game.
displacer can be really good if nrs buffs his teleport...but i don't think that they are gonna buff it,i think they will give quan chi a 6 frame mid that launches into 60% unbreakable damage cause he needs it and the rest of the cast is too stronk to get buffs...

Vaiist

Noob
34% off a f1 punish using a bar of meter is not that good i'd say...its not unfair to have 37%-40% 1 bar bnbs...
I almost never play TG (I like Displacer and MoS myself), so maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Can't he get more damage off of f1 than 34%? And even if he can't, 34% for a bar isn't bad considering it's your fastest punish. I know for a fact he can get into the 37-40% range you mentioned midscreen. All that aside though, there are two things that make this all a none issue. The first, as I mentioned earlier, is meter. TG can spend meter like there's no tomorrow because he builds it like crazy with those lightning strings. Using a bar for less than optimal damage or even wasting it entirely doesn't hurt him the way it does his other variations. Secondly, Raiden flourishes in the corner and TG does that exceptionally well. Even if these combos did less damage they'd still have that corner carry that puts them in the 50/50 hell where Raiden shines.

Raiden's damage is fine. What hurts him most (and what this whole thread is really about with the f1 being high instead of mid), is his neutral game.

Last edited:
I almost never play TG (I like Displacer and MoS myself), so maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Can't he get more damage off of f1 than 34%? And even if he can't, 34% for a bar isn't bad considering it's your fastest punish. I know for a fact he can get into the 37-40% range you mentioned midscreen. All that aside though, there are two things that make this all a none issuet. The first, as I mentioned earlier, is meter. TG can spend meter like there's no tomorrow because he builds it like crazy with those lightning strings. Using a bar for less than optimal damage or even wasting it entirely doesn't hurt him the way it does his other variations. Secondly, Raiden flourishes in the corner and TG does that exceptionally well. Even if these combos did less damage they'd still have that corner carry that puts them in the 50/50 hell where Raiden shines.

Raiden's damage is fine. What hurts him most (and what this whole thread is really about with the f1 being high instead of mid), is his neutral game.
he can get 37%-40% dmg from standing 2(9 frame if i m not mmistaken).
from f1 he can get 28% meterless if i am not mistaken(i have to play raiden a long time),and 32% with a bar.that is not good dmg...jax can do 40% from 123 ex overhead dashpunch(6 frame punish),cassie get 30%+ and a free jump in with a bar after a 6 frame punish,shinock gets 30%-32% and a standing reset...
i think that if he gets a dmg buff he won't even be played more...he will still be a mid tier...
nevertheless i said:
if f1 is changed to a 9 frame mid i pretty sure raiden will become top tier again(don't know tho if anyone wants that...)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

I didn't mean that f1 didn't punish anything but that it wasn't a major threat. Most of the stuff done in this game is generally safe. How many characters would have to alter their game plan so they don't get hit by f1 everytime raiden blocks some thing?

I didn't mean that f1 didn't punish anything but that it wasn't a major threat. Most of the stuff done in this game is generally safe. How many characters would have to alter their game plan so they don't get hit by f1 everytime raiden blocks some thing?
few but still,it makes punishing much easier...

in your opinion, would it be too much or just made punishing things easier?

Why would a 9f mid f1 make him top tier?
a 6 frame mid is too much,a 6 frame high with that hitbox is a perfect punisher.

because a 9 frame mid that is cancelable in socker(-6 on block with pushback),builds half a bar and is easilly confirmable to a full combo,is something any character would pray for...the big difference with his current f1 whould be that no1 will try to poke when minus(lets say more than -3 or -4 frames) or he will get caought by this 9 frame mid.so they will jave to respect it,and even then raiden will be able to build about half a bar.

Vaiist

Noob
a 6 frame mid is too much,a 6 frame high with that hitbox is a perfect punisher.

because a 9 frame mid that is cancelable in socker(-6 on block with pushback),builds half a bar and is easilly confirmable to a full combo,is something any character would pray for...the big difference with his current f1 whould be that no1 will try to poke when minus(lets say more than -3 or -4 frames) or he will get caought by this 9 frame mid.so they will jave to respect it,and even then raiden will be able to build about half a bar.
No offense dude, but I'm confused by this entire paragraph. Why would they need to respect a 9 frame mid when they could just poke out of it? Shocker builds half a bar? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but I'm just not seeing what you're trying to say at all.

No offense dude, but I'm confused by this entire paragraph. Why would they need to respect a 9 frame mid when they could just poke out of it? Shocker builds half a bar? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but I'm just not seeing what you're trying to say at all.
i mean,lets say that in any given situation that raiden is +3 or more frames,the opponent whould not be able to poke cause even a 6 frame poke whould be stuffed by a 9 frame mid.

socker does not but f12b2xxsocker build about half a bar(on block ofc).