What's new

"You're No Warrior!"- Hawkgirl General Discussion (1.06 and onward)

Espio

Kokomo
Corner escape, let's talk about that because while I think it's well known that Hawkgirl has a lot of good ways to escape the corner (2,2, up 3 + trait, mace charge + down 1, wing evade 3 etc).

I haven't seen much conversation about her buffed auto-correcting MB mace charge aside from the thread Tiger Wong made. What I was messing with is similar, but slightly different. As we're all familiar with, Hawkgirl's down 1 is plus twenty on hit, which means she gets guaranteed blockstring pressure on all her mid hitting strings.

Anyways, 3, MB mace charge after an on hit down 1 is guaranteed and grants Hawkgirl a corner escape that is plus on block and allows her to potentially start pressuring the opponent, turning the tables and doing around 5% chip as well, which is really good.

This is assuming they block it correctly, if they don't you still get damage,a corner escape that puts your opponent in the corner, knocked down and can start doing your corner pressure/oki game on them. No matter what you win in this scenario which makes it that much more awesome and a worthwhile additional layer to add to your defensive/offensive game.

F4tal

Noob
I would just like to point out how great the Hawkgirl forums are. Everyone is super nice and helpful. Aside from that what do you guys think about using the MB Mace Toss in the corner after a full combo punish of b22,WE2, b1 WE3, 3 MB Mace charge, trait,23? It works on most of the cast but against some characters like WW and GL you have to respect their invincible wakeups.
Thoughts?

F4tal

Noob
Corner escape, let's talk about that because while I think it's well known that Hawkgirl has a lot of good ways to escape the corner (2,2, up 3 + trait, mace charge + down 1, wing evade 3 etc).

I haven't seen much conversation about her buffed auto-correcting MB mace charge aside from the thread Tiger Wong made. What I was messing with is similar, but slightly different. As we're all familiar with, Hawkgirl's down 1 is plus twenty on hit, which means she gets guaranteed blockstring pressure on all her mid hitting strings.

Anyways, 3, MB mace charge after an on hit down 1 is guaranteed and grants Hawkgirl a corner escape that is plus on block and allows her to potentially start pressuring the opponent, turning the tables and doing around 5% chip as well, which is really good.

This is assuming they block it correctly, if they don't you still get damage,a corner escape that puts your opponent in the corner, knocked down and can start doing your corner pressure/oki game on them. No matter what you win in this scenario which makes it that much more awesome and a worthwhile additional layer to add to your defensive/offensive game.
I played EMPEROR_DARK's Joker online today and I don't know the Joker match up at all. He is probably one of the best Jokers and hopefully he plays offline. I found it draining trying to get out of the corner with all of Joker's gimmicks and his chattering teeth set ups. What do you think is the best way to get out of the corner with HG out of all the options you have posted? I usually do well against my offline training partners when it comes to not getting put in a corner but when I do I feel helpless at times especially against characters that are terrific in the corner like Joker, Bane, Ares, etc. Opinions and tips? Hopefully this all made sense.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
tbh d1 is my go to get out of the corner, if it hits i do w/e into MC MB, on block you can WE3 and you're out.

There's 22u3, jump MC, throw them into the corner (works alot for whatever reason, people dont seem to expect throws in this game), MB f3.

Joker's corner game is scary as shit dude, against a good Joker getting cornered can end the game from my experience. He sucks at almost everything else though and he has no real way out of pressure so its very momentum based. Just dont get cornered and you should be good.
Pushblock, use some WE3, MB mace toss etc to keep yourself out of the corner, easier said than done obviously but thats the idea lol.

Espio

Kokomo
I played EMPEROR_DARK's Joker online today and I don't know the Joker match up at all. He is probably one of the best Jokers and hopefully he plays offline. I found it draining trying to get out of the corner with all of Joker's gimmicks and his chattering teeth set ups. What do you think is the best way to get out of the corner with HG out of all the options you have posted? I usually do well against my offline training partners when it comes to not getting put in a corner but when I do I feel helpless at times especially against characters that are terrific in the corner like Joker, Bane, Ares, etc. Opinions and tips? Hopefully this all made sense.
Dark is very good and has a lot of Hawkgirl experience. That's the thing, Joker is a nightmare in the corner and if you don't know how to deal with him it's very daunting (it's still tricky even if you do). I'm still trying to learn it myself, Joker players are rare especially ones as good as Dark. It depends on the situation which one is best. Down 1, wing evade 3 is pretty good, but the other options are also very valid depending on the situation and reads involved.

Also, don't be afraid to be patient and deal with the pressure for a bit. You don't always have to push buttons or try to escape right away, keep your opponent guessing and on their toes. This can potentially avoid you getting baited and punished. Like for example a lot of people like to neutral jump to blow up wake up mace charge and if people do that you can almost get up for free as it were or potentially anti-air combo them. You have to guess to get out of pressure so it's important to make your opponent guess as much or close to as much as you're guessing.

If one tactic works for you to get out of the corner, you still probably wanna mix it up to avoid getting blown up for full combo or more pressure and potential oki for getting too predictable.

I don't know enough about the Ares match up to say much about his corner pressure. Bane is tough for almost the entire cast if he has you cornered especially on knockdown, but I think after blocking a MB double punch and some other armor moves you can wing evade 3 through him to the other side to safety if you make a read on his follow up.

kaseyk

Noob
ares is easy to escape corner with hg . assuming your knocked down , if he jumps pushblock or block string d1-we out , if hes doing godsmack we2 over him for full combo or just wakeup with trait (height is safe ) . if hes steps back sweep distance expect sword/axe .
only way out of my joker corner teeth traps is pushblock and even then prob gonna eat teeth and have to guess after because hes recovered and attacking before your up .

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm thinking of coming back to play the game casually. How's hawkgirl in the latest patch? I'm too lazy to search for patch logs and stuff. Are our matchups still as bad as before?

Espio

Kokomo
Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm thinking of coming back to play the game casually. How's hawkgirl in the latest patch? I'm too lazy to search for patch logs and stuff. Are our matchups still as bad as before?
Hey, this is a cool surprise lol.

The only change she got was auto-correcting MB mace charge, which is pretty cool in some instances. She's still floating around in that mid tier ish range, viable and strong but with some faults.

It depends on who you ask, everyone has a different opinion on her match ups. I think generally things got better for her in some match ups, while others have stayed relatively the same. Also, if you're playing casually only, match ups matter even less than they would otherwise in my opinion.

Espio

Kokomo
If you're gonna be playing regularly online for PSN you can add me (Espio872). I play two of those five characters well enough to give match up experience plus of course obviously Hawkgirl with some Doomsday sprinkled in lol.

A lot of random people you run into online have bad connections, but then there's tons of people who I connect with well and spacing, anti-air etc are very applicable and the matches are very fruitful. People from here usually have pretty good connections or at least the ones I choose to play regularly haha.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
If you're gonna be playing regularly online for PSN you can add me (Espio872). I play two of those five characters well enough to give match up experience plus of course obviously Hawkgirl with some Doomsday sprinkled in lol.

A lot of random people you run into online have bad connections, but then there's tons of people who I connect with well and spacing, anti-air etc are very applicable and the matches are very fruitful. People from here usually have pretty good connections or at least the ones I choose to play regularly haha.
Sweet I'll add you when I'm online next. Dunno about regularly coz I dont have that much free time in general and when I do I play BBCP or KI, but I'm trying to get back to injustice so I'll hit u up if I happen to see you online :D
might have to just play people from my FL instead of playing randoms in ranked.

Espio

Kokomo
Sweet I'll add you when I'm online next. Dunno about regularly coz I dont have that much free time in general and when I do I play BBCP or KI, but I'm trying to get back to injustice so I'll hit u up if I happen to see you online :D
might have to just play people from my FL instead of playing randoms in ranked.
Cool, I'm usually on a couple times a week, usually if people ask me to play. How are you liking Chrono Phantasma? I recently got Continumm shift extend as a gift to try it out, but I heard it was radically different from the sequel.

Yeah, that's your best bet to be honest, playing people you know. Hard to glean information from ranked especially since most of the good people don't play ranked plus connections tend to be gross.

Although ranked always puts a smile on my face between the hate mail and randomness lol.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Started playing again, my inputs got sloppy as hell. Can't get 1, 2, 3, flight, 1, 2, Mace charge down anymore, even F1, 3 is coming out funky. There a trick I'm forgetting with some of her strings? I'm on Vita for practice between classes, not sure if that's my problem (offline training, not online). Squawk :(

Cabronium

Stream monster: Qperg.
What is the best way to stuff wake ups with hawkgirl. And if they go into a combo what are the inputs ??

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
What is the best way to stuff wake ups with hawkgirl. And if they go into a combo what are the inputs ??
Not sure what you mean by the second part and it depends on the wakeup. What works on say, Sinestro's Arachnid Sting might not work for Bane's command grab (random example). If you have a specific character giving you problems, me or @Espio (way more knowledgeable than me) will be glad to help

Espio

Kokomo
Not sure what you mean by the second part and it depends on the wakeup. What works on say, Sinestro's Arachnid Sting might not work for Bane's command grab (random example). If you have a specific character giving you problems, me or @Espio (way more knowledgeable than me) will be glad to help

3 wing evade works on a lot of wake ups like Martian Manhunter's push and Wonder Woman lasso spin for example. I like to do wing evade 2, 3,2, MB mace charge as it's easy to combo off of and does 30% damage. She always has meter so it's a worthwhile investment, there are other wing evade 2 combos that do slightly more damage, but I prefer consistency so I just do simplistic stuff.

After an upclose wing evade 3 you can do a wing evade 2 and I noticed it stuffs a lot of wake ups too which is really cool and parries lose to it as well so it has some worthwhile utility. Sometimes if you time it right you can do a wake up reversal too, which is pretty dope as you get a full punish.

Then there's the more obvious universal wake up stuffing options of MB forward/back 3 too.

Espio

Kokomo
I like using jump back down mtmb and block then d1 combo to train them not to attempt wakeups anymore . espio covered alot of options though :)
That's really good too, I should actually mix that into my game more.

There's also something I had specifically to troll Black Adam on wake up, which was jump in then cancel into trait to bait lightning cage etc and then punish with dive kick to hopefully open him up for other forms of pressure, but I dunno I only rarely use this as an oki tool, not a ton of universal uses and such.

Started playing again, my inputs got sloppy as hell. Can't get 1, 2, 3, flight, 1, 2, Mace charge down anymore, even F1, 3 is coming out funky. There a trick I'm forgetting with some of her strings? I'm on Vita for practice between classes, not sure if that's my problem (offline training, not online). Squawk :(
Aside from just practice and being out of it, that's about it I'd imagine.

Also, I'm sure the Vita controls are very different from a regular pad or fight stick.

F4tal

Noob
32 WE3 is, in my opinion, the best way to maximize her pressure if your opponent is blocking and if they refuse to push block. I believe it does a little over 2.5% chip on block and is safe overall with the exception of characters that have a very quick D2. Against characters with good D2's like Flash it seems best to delay the WE3 and to bait them into doing a D2 for a small punish. I was playing a very good Flash online and he was blowing up my pressure when I wasn't delaying the WE3 but once I saw that he was simply abusing his good D2 right before the WE3 I started to delay it so the WE3 would hit allowing me to get him closer to the corner or to Trait up and build meter. I did about 25% chip the other day against someone who was using a lot of low hitbox characters such as Catwoman, Nightwing (Who stayed in Staff Stance all match), and as well as Killer Frost. Anyone else like using 32 WE3 more-so than the typical D1 WE3? Both are good but I like 32 WE3 way better.

F4tal

Noob
I'd go with d1 just coz its faster but 32 into whatever is solid too, you can also cancel 32 into MC which i think does more chip if thats what you're going for.
Yeah but I usually prefer not to waste meter for chip unless if I am getting closer to putting them into the corner to go for her oki set ups.