What's new

Question Your Mentality about Cross-Ups

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
There are some players who can AA cross-ups online like people do offline, they're just used to the online timing. I just played against a lot of noobs who jumped a lot and over time I was able to get the timing down.
Meh MK9 online is a total joke when compaired to offline... I can anti crossover d1 and full combo punish 9/10 times offline.... I will MAYBE get it 4/10 online, the rest of the time I get blown up by a JIP.... I find that most people (myself incuded) will punish jumpy players with a NJP, which I'm pretty sure is not in Injustice. The point that I was trying to make is that as STB TakeAChance was saying, it goes beyond just holding a button to block the pressure and poke as in MK9.... the casual MK9 player and SOME (not all) serious MK9 ONLY players will have to take some time to get used to ambiguous crossups becasue they are just not familiar with the mechanics... which is the whole point I was making about B to block will force a larger gap between casual and hardcore FG fans.

Fractured_Shadow

Stuff in this game has way more whiff recovery than any other competitive 2D game I can think of
Example? Are you talking about specials, normal strings, just all around everything having longer recovery frames, or that the duration of moves is simply longer?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
It is all about conditioning, IMO. They can be dealt with, and they can be abused. Just like anything else in this, or any other fighting game. So no, in proper context I do not see it as a "scrub tactic". I play offline and even in casuals I love hearing my opponents bitch about and get salty over cross-ups. You know why? Because at that point, I am in their head...Play to win.

I can see the gripes people have with the fact that a blocked jip jails and they are a bit OP when relatively compared to other games. BUT, this is not other games and any fighting game has it's subjectively undesirable elements when compared to other titles. (That was not an arbitrary, "RAWR THIS IS MK, BITCH" type of statement...no fighting game is "other games")

The fact remains, however, they are in the game. So ADAPT. Online is one thing when you get your anti X-up stuffed, but offilne, if you have conditioned your opponent and they are are not taking care of business with regards to cross ups....abuse that shit. Play to win, man. Learn the meta game and play to win.

This mentality has helped me greatly with respect to getting abused by cross-ups. I know when its online, and I know when I fucked up or got caught slipping. Simple as that.

Fractured_Shadow

The fact remains, however, they are in the game. So ADAPT. Online is one thing when you get your anti X-up stuffed, but offilne, if you have conditioned your opponent and they are are not taking care of business with regards to cross ups....abuse that shit. Play to win, man. Learn the meta game and play to win.
This is the correct mindset to be in at all times... However it will be taken to a WHOLE different level in Injustice. The tears....oh the tears that will flow becasue of ambiguous crossovers and Flash's ability to slow time :D ... Batman crossover and Flash ftw...

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
This is the correct mindset to be in at all times... However it will be taken to a WHOLE different level in Injustice. The tears....oh the tears that will flow because of ambiguous crossovers and Flash's ability to slow time :D ... Batman crossover and Flash ftw...
You sir, are god damn right. <3 Back to block. Its gonna be epic

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Example? Are you talking about specials, normal strings, just all around everything having longer recovery frames, or that the duration of moves is simply longer?
Anything. Strings doesnt really apply as no other 2D game really has them. But anything comperable, low pokes for example, recovery way faster on whiff in other games.

Most things in MK9 that people complain are "safe on whiff" are punishable. Only the most broken moves have no consequence when whiffed :p

But this doesn't really have anything to do with cross-ups so probably should let the thread go back on topic :p

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
They piss me the fuck off especially when I see my attack phase through someone.
Things like this are why I have such a hard time taking my online training and efforts seriously sometimes. And it goes both ways for me and a klanmate or regular opponent; a lot of the time, it's still worth the fighting, but sometimes, you dont know if what you're seeing is real, and it's disheartening.

Fractured_Shadow

Anything. Strings doesnt really apply as no other 2D game really has them. But anything comperable, low pokes for example, recovery way faster on whiff in other games.

Most things in MK9 that people complain are "safe on whiff" are punishable. Only the most broken moves have no consequence when whiffed :p

But this doesn't really have anything to do with cross-ups so probably should let the thread go back on topic :p
Cross up.... wiff....? See we are on topic ;)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Stuff in this game has way more whiff recovery than any other competitive 2D game I can think of
Yes.

What Death is asking for is, if you whiff, to give him time to go beg his girl to make a sandwich, get it, pour some milk while he's at it, then come back, and still be able to dash in and f4 with Sonya. :p

Really, if you think the recovery in MK9 is too fast, don't play SF...or any other 2D fighter for that matter.

Fractured_Shadow

GGA Dizzy THTB

One last off topic question becasue this doesn't warrent it's own thread. Is the frame data that is listed as in depth as what our community has. I.E will I be able to see what is +/- on block, wiff, ect? Or is the frame data that is included simply start up/duration?

Back to the topic....uh..... traditional crossups rock and uh... ya... read my other posts concerning the matter :p

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Cross up.... wiff....? See we are on topic ;)
People actually dash away from cross-ups often to try and make them whiff :)

GGA Dizzy THTB

One last off topic question becasue this doesn't warrent it's own thread. Is the frame data that is listed as in depth as what our community has. I.E will I be able to see what is +/- on block, wiff, ect? Or is the frame data that is included simply start up/duration?

Back to the topic....uh..... traditional crossups rock and uh... ya... read my other posts concerning the matter :p
I assume you are talking about Injustice? If so, I have no idea. I assume there would be at least start up, hit/block advantage and recovery. That is what most games have for their frame data. Somberness is just such a boss that he did cancel advantage on hit/block as well but this is the only game I know of that someone actually did that for it. MK9 has more comprehensive frame data than any game i've seen.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
GGA Dizzy THTB

For Injustice or for other games? If for Injustice, that's a very good question. For other games, MK9's frame data is a little less in-depth (we still don't possess the invincibility/armor frames).

EDIT: Yeah, a lot of games don't have cancel advantage, so yeah, MK9's is about equal actually.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Yes.

What Death is asking for is, if you whiff, to give him time to go beg his girl to make a sandwich, get it, pour some milk while he's at it, then come back, and still be able to dash in and f4 with Sonya. :p

Really, if you think the recovery in MK9 is too fast, don't play SF...or any other 2D fighter for that matter.
This. In Sf/Capcom games, there is a reason why players blindly throw out poking normals. They are buffering the follow up into them. If the opponent advances and gets caught by it, their buffered move comes out and they get the punish.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
My cross up mentality?Hmmmm........D1

P.S. I still don't believe people dont know what to do against cross ups its so simple.Online is a different story tho if thats what u referring too

Fractured_Shadow

My cross up mentality?Hmmmm........D1

P.S. I still don't believe people dont know what to do against cross ups its so simple.Online is a different story tho if thats what u referring too
What is sad is that there is two different styles of play for MK online and off lol.... NJP online, d1 off.... however depending on move priority d1 might not alway be the answer for Injustice, if done right, some moves should be negative enough on a correctly blocked crossup that they are punishable (think blocked reptile dash) and it would be wiser to punish that way, vice an d1 AA combo...

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
What is sad is that there is two different styles of play for MK online and off lol.... NJP online, d1 off.... however depending on move priority d1 might not alway be the answer for Injustice, if done right, some moves should be negative enough on a correctly blocked crossup that they are punishable (think blocked reptile dash) and it would be wiser to punish that way, vice an d1 AA combo...
Well I'm don't know how injustice's mechanics are gonna be and frame data.I won't know until I actually play the game and get the feel of the gameplay first hand.But in MK you have 4 options D1, NJP,Uppercut, or dash forward(If you read that the opponent is gonna cross you over) so imo it doesnt need to be punishable on block since there are several ways to counter it.