What's new

Question Your Mentality about Cross-Ups

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
I have the same mentality as DragonPick on this one. As someone who plays 2D games and airdashers, I fuckin' love them. They add new layers to defense and offense, can be used for resets and gimmicks, and there are always tools to defend against them if you know it's coming; so it's never broken. There's also the fact that being someone that mainly uses mix-up characters they make my boner rise, as they're just another way to confuse people.

SLy

Noob
I hate playing people that base their whole gameplay on crossovers. If you get caught slipping they will wait until you get into that right position to jump over you.. Its hella annoying. There aren't many ways to expose that playstyle because jumps in this game is very good.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In the next MK Franchise i want Jump ins or crossups to be completely punishables on whiff, it would make the game far more interesting IMO.

I've literally never gotten as mad at a game as I have while dealing with cross ups. I get a d1 to connect like 10% of the time. Wether its reptile, cage, jax or anyone. The only time I can do shit is njp or uppercut with Sonya, cage, or oddly skarlet.

Enenra

Go to hell.
If lag isn't bad I like them a lot. D1, D1, Smoke bomb and then your ass is getting reset. When the game lags (always) I hate them because they are OP and retarded

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
tbh crossups are WAY WAY WAY easier to deal with offline

basically every crossup offline should be a full AA combo (unless they catch you doing something and their crossover punishes you)

Offline in SoCal random crossups very rarely work.

Online though they're bullshit as hell, but really what isn't bullshit as hell online?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Yes, that's what you have to do. However the timing has to be correct and you have to read if it's an actual cross up attempt. If you read it wrong, you'll just be walking into a regular attack.

See how Ken's back foot and his forward foot look? When Ken tries to cross you up, he's trying kick you with the back kick while jumping over you, since that will force you to have to block the other way. However, if he is trying to fake you out and hit you with the front leg (or just messes up) and you think it's a cross up and switch directions, you'll walk right into the Masters kick
the crossup's in this game sound very complicated....

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
then is it hard to get used to? or will it be fairly easy to get comfortable with?
I find that most people who have a natural prowesses about themselves when it comes to FGs adpat rather quickly. If MK9 is your ONLY fighting game, than yes, I could see this becoming problematic for some..... however, B to block and a true cross up system adds wonderful layers to footsies and furthers the experience.... though with the additional depth comes a larger fracture between skilled players and casual players.... players who invest time into Injustice will be able to abuse this mechanic rather easily on people who have not learned how to adapt and punish properly. Im just waiting for all the free combos becasue people will be holding R2 out of fear of the cross over :D

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
You're so sure of it, what happened to the ppl capability to quickly adapt to a game?
this isn't MK you know? Why would ppl would hold R2 to block?
What I was alluding to are the troves of MK9 ONLY players who answer a crossover with a block (with R2) becasue of the total fail that MK9 is online, and that they will instictivly hold R2 to block a crossup becasue they haven't fully ajusted to B to block yet. People will inevitably adapt but the first few weeks will be funny as hell... Why does it sound like you are trying to blow me up? Are you a MK9 player only?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
What I was alluding to are the troves of MK9 ONLY players who answer a crossover with a block (with R2) becasue of the total fail that MK9 is online, and that they will instictivly hold R2 to block a crossup. People will inevitably adapt but the first few weeks will be funny as hell... Why does it sound like you are trying to blow me up? Are you a MK9 player only?
Me?
No lol?
I've played lots of games, SF Ninja masters, all of them. I'm from the time where you could do D+HK~Hadouken with Ken Masters in sf II' Champion Edition:D

So Back to block definitely its not new to me, but i don't think ppl will hold R2 to block, specially if they have played other fighting games, like KOF, or yet Tekken.

And no, i'm not blowing you up lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
It's not so much the act of blocking that gets tricky with ambiguous crossups, it's knowing based upon slight visual cues which direction to infact block. Some characters cross ups are very fast and tricky to gauge which side their attack hits in other games.

ryublaze

Noob
There are some players who can AA cross-ups online like people do offline, they're just used to the online timing. I just played against a lot of noobs who jumped a lot and over time I was able to get the timing down.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I think everything needs to be more punishable on whiff. Normals, pokes, specials. EVERYTHING. it would actually make players play well and not just mash buttons and not get punished for it
Stuff in this game has way more whiff recovery than any other competitive 2D game I can think of