What's new

Question Your Mentality about Cross-Ups

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The best part about this is a year and six months later, Blake mains batman in injustice lol.
Oh, the irony. :D

But it should be "mained," not "mains." I'm retired from Injustice now.

And I've become more accepting of cross-ups after moving on to games outside of Mortal Kombat. I wouldn't even mind playing MK without a block button, except...the design of MK demands it.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Before anything else, this thread is not designed to share counter-measures against cross-up tactics. If you want to learn what those measures are and/or want to add to the list, go to this thread created by xKhaoTikx.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-deal-with-opponents-who-cross-up.27877/

Also, no, this is not a thread designed to petition for silly patches to any fighting games regarding the cross-up tactic. If you came here just for that reason, I hate to disappoint you. We are simply giving feedback on what we think, no more, no less, so let's keep it like that.

That aside...what is your general outlook on cross-ups? It doesn't have to apply only to Mortal Kombat, it can concern any fighting game you play...with the likely exception of 3D fighters, since you generally sidestep in those and don't see a lot of crossing up going on.

Do you see this as a scrub-friendly tactic, or one that actually has some merit? Do you find them annoying to contend with, or are they hardly an issue for you? Does it add depth to a fighting game or take away from it for you? Whether you've played online or offline, don't hesitate to pour your thoughts out.

I'll start with mine.

I hate them with a passion. It might just be me, but I've always had a preference for staying grounded while playing a match - unless I absolutely have to jump to avoid some specific moves. Another irritation to them is that when your opponent changes sides on the screen, it reverses your inputs depending on what counter-move you're trying to execute, which can screw with your timing unless you're used to this kind of stuff. And of course, these are easier to get away with online, but I sometimes see it happening offline as well and I let out a sigh whenever a player lands one.

Keep in mind, it's not just the cross-up punch that is being mentioned here. You can also mix in the jumpkick, and with its hitbox and block advantage, that can serve to make things worse.

For me, the risk/reward for cross-ups is retarded. Of course when I play as Sonya in MK9, I'm not as fazed by them as I normally am (hello 7-frame uppercut and EX Cartwheel <3), but when I'm without those tools, boy do I get agitated. This is definitely something you've gotta practice learning how to react against so that it doesn't become such a pain in your life.

And before anybody says, "Isn't d1 the usual go-to move for these things?" That's character-dependent and hitbox-dependent, but even so it's not something I personally want to risk. If it fails, you're eating a full combo, and no matter how much you practice it, there's always that little factor to worry about. The very thought of this makes me prefer to block and wait.

Now, your turn, members. How do you view the cross-up in general?
I hate them but feel its a necessity. It adds more depth to defense and blocking one correctly shows you have defense. High and lows are mostly based off normals and specials so its nice to have more "icing on the cake." That being said I wish some scaling was in order as it can be too rewarding.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Crossup add depth to b2b games. Crossups in MK9, though they havetheir purposes, are retarded. Though I do feel as if they weren't really felt with efficiently by majority. People failed to consistently use a2a jbk or jbp. Njp was used really well. Dash or walk under was rarely used. Seemed like characters without anti crossup tools were labeled as unable to deal w them when actually everyone can but just have to in different ways

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
The benefits of crossups is that it makes turtling much more difficult, especially in injustice. To block pressure along with cross up pressure is really rather impressive because it creates something more difficult than a simple 50/50. To that, crossups make characters with bad anti airs suffer greatly. They also allow for characters who rely on their knock down game to thrive. Although they are irritating sometimes, they are absolutely necessary for diversity in the game. Typically zoners have (or should) bad anti airs to make it actually do-able for people to get in.