What's new

Your favorite character could not be in MKX

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You don't even know if they're fucking out of the game yet. Why the hell are you "loathing" him right now? Even so, the game's not really built around you, or me, or anybody else. Why the fuck does it matter to him if your mains are removed? His job isn't to make sure your mains are in the game, but to make the game good. I don't care if your fucking mains are Sub-Zero and Scorpion and they're taken out of the fucking game. There are always other characters, so fucking learn to use them.

There's no need to jump all over a guy for expressing his dislike of his characters not being in the game. Chill out. He may be one of the players (like myself) who have to like the character to be able to learn to play them. If Sub wasn't announced, I honestly wouldn't feel as hype about this game right now b/c after him my next would be Cassie who looks just ok so far.

Sure, these people shouldn't be super worried yet as only 6 characters have been revealed. So they still have a shot to find someone they might like. I get that the complaining gets old, but you can ignore it... sometimes people just need to vent.

Anywho,

My favorite is back so... I really have no say haha

Cody

Noob
There's no need to jump all over a guy for expressing his dislike of his characters not being in the game. Chill out. He may be one of the players (like myself) who have to like the character to be able to learn to play them. If Sub wasn't announced, I honestly wouldn't feel as hype about this game right now b/c after him my next would be Cassie who looks just ok so far.

Sure, these people shouldn't be super worried yet as only 6 characters have been revealed. So they still have a shot to find someone they might like. I get that the complaining gets old, but you can ignore it... sometimes people just need to vent.

Anywho,

My favorite is back so... I really have no say haha
I'm going to assume you didn't read the post about me saying how the "fucks aren't hostile, it's just how I usually talk.

Anyways, the point still stands. If there's 20 people (which could even be more or whatever) in a game, the chances of not having somebody you think is cool is very slim, or you're just picky. Again, that sounds worse than it means. I'm not saying you're picky, it's a general term for whomever thinks that. There is also the reasonable option that people are afraid of change, but that's not really a reasonable reason to get upset over a game. If you don't like the change, you don't have to just let it slide, but they shouldn't shit all over it for the sole reason of it not having their main.

Justice

Noob
I think it's a smart way to reboot a series. To heal the wounds of the past *cough* 3d games *cough*, NRS gave us MK9 with updated versions of most of our fave characters with a new Kombatant (Skarlet) and an awesome guest character (Freddy) thrown in. This brings back the hardcore fans and reintroduces the series to a new generation of gamers that whether or not they are familiar with the series, missed out on the hype of yesteryear. Skip forward to today where the next stage of the reboot is happening with MKX. To further bring MK to the new generation, it's time to shed some of the classic elements that may seem outdated or even corny to the modern audience: 50 million ninjas, cyber ninjas, the palette swaps, etc. It may not be intentional but I see this as NRS making a game that this generation can call their own much the same as we did back in the day with MK1.

I for one am pissed that there's a pretty good chance that my main won't return. Much like it's time for me to step aside as a gamer for the next generation, it's time to say goodbye to some of what we know to make room for new favourites and new memories for this generation. It's not a bad thing, it's just growing pains that must be endured. I was involved with the Soul Caliber community when V was announced and released. The amount of hate at the new characters was unreal. Sigfreid is an old fart? Where is Taki? WTF is up with Patroklos and his sister? Sure the new Taki plays the same, but she doesn't illicit the same feels to a Taki main when looking at a different avatar while playing. It was bad. At least NRS is being smarter than Project Soul and doing more than transplanting a moveset onto a new character. Take Cassie for example. She has similarities to both Cage and Sonya but still looks like her own character (at least at this point anyway). I think NRS is doing an excellent job of bringing the "feels" that we had back in the day to a new generation with a gam they can call their own and not a 20+ yr old one passed down like a children's tale.

Actually, speaking of Cassie, I am less inclined to agree that her inclusion means the exclusion of Sonya and Cage. While from a technical standpoint she shares some moves with her predecessors, there is still much room for the originals to be their own characters. Also, with the story starting immediately after MK9, there is much to do and both Sonya and Cage will need to be a part of that; given that they are among the few surviving heroes of the "War with Outworld". Not to mention that they would be instrumental in "passing the torch" to the new generation of characters. So I think there is still a possibility for these two characters to be involved in MKX: without a doubt in Story mode, quite possibly as playable characters as well.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
They can be dead in the story but still playable in vs, don't see why that'd Becca problem.
I don't think so, the story is cannon you know, unless they are DLC then there is no problem (those are non cannon). Btw, in an interview Boon said about fatalities between relatives! So I guess we will see Johnny Cage or Sonya, or both!

exyle

Noob
It seems like NRS is going with the offspring generation route with all the human/mortal characters that can age like Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Jax, Kitana, Stryker, ect. So we will see their grown young adult children in the lineup. These will be the very young looking characters 21-25 years old.

Reptile, Sheeva and even Baraka may fall into a different category of beings who age slower than the humans like Cage and Kitana, so they may appear the same or slightly older but not much.
Kitana is over 10 000 years old.
Another 25 years is not going to change her.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I can see Saggi do an gruesome fatality with this attack if here were to be in the game as a sorcerer zoner type. Lol

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I am totally on board with the new characters and I like the direction they seem to be heading, but there are plenty of characters they could bring back with a smooth redesign.

I'd personally like to see:
1.) Reiko
2.)Sareena
3.)Nitara
4.)Kintaro/Motaro
5.)Make Shao Kahn playable
6.) Make an edgy Fujin
7.)and of course Tanya
8.) and of course the legends like Kitana, Baraka, Jade, etc.,

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
MK9 characters I feel are very unlikely to reappear (as playable):
- Johnny Cage
- Sonya
- Nightwolf
- Sheeva
- Stryker
- Jade
- Kung Lao
- Sindel
- Kabal
- Rain
- Freddy Krueger

MK9 characters that may return, but in new forms:
- Smoke - As a cyborg since he was in high demand in MK9.
- Cyber Sub-Zero/Noob Saibot - I'm guessing the Sub-Zero we've seen so far is Noob Saibot reborn after the soulnado incident. If not, he has a high probability of reappearing as something new.
- Liu Kang - Evil fire god, anyone? Doubt he'll be a zombie again.

Characters that are almost guaranteed to appear:
- Shinnok
- Quan Chi
- Raiden
- An Edenian female ninja. Either Kitana or a descendant.
- Ermac
- Kenshi - If Ermac is in, you can bet your ass he is too.
- Descendant of Kano, or a new leader of the Red/Black dragon clan.
- Descendant of (Great) Kung Lao, if not Bo Rai Cho.
- A token character. Jax has a shot!

Toss-ups:
- Mileena
- Reptile
- Sektor
- Cyrax
- Shang Tsung
- Skarlet
- Kano (maybe as a full cyborg)
- Baraka
Ermac being in has absolutely zero holdings on wether Kenshi is in or not.

They had no connections in MK9 at all.

Not saying he won't be in, but it won't be because of Ermac.

And what do you mean a token character? Since when has MK had a lack of different races and skin colors? Token doesn't mean black by the way, if that's why you put that.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Ermac being in has absolutely zero holdings on wether Kenshi is in or not.

They had no connections in MK9 at all.

Not saying he won't be in, but it won't be because of Ermac.
Part of the original timeline involves a relationship between Ermac and Kenshi. Kenshi is who "frees" him, and Ermac, in turn, teaches him a telekinetic ability. Maybe more of a hunch than a guarantee, but I have a strong feeling he'll return.

And what do you mean a token character? Since when has MK had a lack of different races and skin colors? Token doesn't mean black by the way, if that's why you put that.
It was a joke!

aj1701

Noob
I don't think so, the story is cannon you know, unless they are DLC then there is no problem (those are non cannon). Btw, in an interview Boon said about fatalities between relatives! So I guess we will see Johnny Cage or Sonya, or both!
What would really be the difference if an older character were DLC or just on the disc at the time of shipping? I'm saying the dead ones just would be in versus mode, they shouldn't appear in the story.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
What would really be the difference if an older character were DLC or just on the disc at the time of shipping? I'm saying the dead ones just would be in versus mode, they shouldn't appear in the story.
But I don't think NRS will release chars exclusive for VS mode or anyother non-story mode. The more realistic aprox is that they release DLC (like Freddy, Kenshi, Skarlet, etc) that weren't part of the canon story. But I get you, I also would like to play the MK9 cast even if it's just in VS mode.

NoDoubt

nasty
wow this game looking pretty sick so far and dark. Id like Kitana or someone like her I guess in here and someone like Jax. Sheeva looks like she'd really fit in graphically with this games vibe but otherwise just wanna see all these new characters

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Looks like they are doing what capcom did with Street Fighter 3, keeping some old characters but introducing mostly new characters that are hybrids or different takes of old characters.

SZSR

Noob
While I do want my favorites in, I really just want to see them do justice to the older characters whose second game was basically Armageddon.

MK9 was the love letter for 2D MKs, I'd like to see them continue on to the other MKs.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I'm not really worried whatsoever. There will (probably) be plenty new characters, yes, but all of the already revealed ones are very cool and fit in just fine. Apart from that, I'm almost sure most characters that survived in MK9 will be back, at least I hope so. Raiden should be back cause he was like the main character of MK9's story.. though I guess that really doesn't have anything to do with MKX's story.. I just really want him back. :( Imagining how cool his moves would look with the new engine. You could say the same for almost every other character as well though lol... But yeah, not worried at all. And it's not like it's only Sub and Scorp and the rest is new characters. There will be enough returning ones.

Regarding which Sub-Zero this one is btw, he at least has the voice of the original Sub.. would be weird if it's just some random cryomancer who's the "new" Sub now, yet he has exactly the same voice.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
Boon essentially confirmed Sub and Scorp aren't the only Ninja's we're seeing, so:

Reptile
Ermac
Noob Saibot
Smoke

All appear to have chances, but I'd bet my money on Reptile and Ermac returning out of the four.