What's new

YOMI LIVING MATCH UP CHART (FIRST DRAFT) v1.0 - 7-2-15 Tremor Patch

Hello everyone. Team YOMI has been working together to put up a match up chart with the help of many players for the past two weeks. The match up chart below is our first draft of what we think could be the current match up numbers in the current and latest patch. None of these numbers are set in stone and are subject to change and always open for debate. If you spot any mistakes or spelling errors, please feel free to point them out and post them in this thread so we can fix them.

YOMI LIVING MATCH UP CHART (FIRST DRAFT) V1.0

Keep in mind we are also trying to use the most popular tournament variations to make things easier for now. More variations will be added in the future until we have each one.

For now enjoy and discuss. And if you have a question on why a match up is listed a certain way, don't hesitate to ask as I will try my best to appoint the player(s) to come in and explain why they feel that way.
I downloaded the sheet and was curious as to what the total points were to each character to determine the tier list. Messed around with the sheet and got the following:
Tier List
Character (Variation)
Tier Score
Shinnok (Bone Shaper) 192
Kung Lao (Tempest) 185
Tanya (Kobu Jutsu) 181
Predator (Hish Qui Ten) 179
Cassie Cage (Hollywood) 175
Predator (Hunter) 174
D'Vorah (Swarm Queen) 169
Kitana (Royal Storm) 169
Quan Chi (Summoner) 168
Scorpion (Hellfire) 167
Tremor (Aftershock) 167
Sub Zero (Grandmaster) 165
Erron Black (Outlaw) 163
Johnny Cage (A List) 161
Kung Jin (Shaolin) 161
Kung Jin (Bojutsu) 159
Quan Chi (Sorcerer) 159
Raiden (Thunder God) 159
Kitana (Mournful) 158
Liu Kang (Flame Fist) 157
Kano (Cybernetic) 157
Jax (Heavy Weapons) 156
Sonya Blade (Covert Ops) 155
Kotal Kahn (War God) 152
Kenshi (Balanced) 150
Mileena (Ravenous) 148
Ermac (Master of Souls) 147
Reptile (Noxious) 146
Takeda (Shirai Ryu) 140
Jacqui Briggs (Full Auto) 136
Ferra Torr (Vicious) 135
Jason (Relentless) 130
Goro (Kuatan Warrior) 112

Also added in the variations you didnt use which currently all show as 0. (Joint 34th). The list will update automatically the more matchups that are added. Happy to email the sheet across if anybody is interested

I dunno if you've played each of those characters at the highest level because even though dragon's fire is very good when he gets to play his game(constant pressure and good zoning) but when he has to play other characters game he struggles because his defense and Footsies without RCs are pretty poor.

Maybe @xarakamaka can give some insight.
this is the thing with mu charts . no one can judge a mu untill you can learn and play vs highest level with each character. all i know so far is that no character is a bad mu for him but could be subject to change in the future . maybe theres a sneaky couple 6-4 over him but not sure and havent found it yet. i know flame fist can wreck jax to be fair. and in dragons fire liu should be controlling the spacing game and zoning game. jax can give him issues with df when hes up in his face. but with flame fist theres so many holes in jaxs pressure the ex wp seems like a godsend and flame fist vs jax i think is bad for jax . but i put liu in top 3 overall to be fair. i found his hardest mu so far shinnok and lao. I still dont see a bad mu for him though but might be subject to change in the future who knows

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
this is the thing with mu charts . no one can judge a mu untill you can learn and play vs highest level with each character. all i know so far is that no character is a bad mu for him but could be subject to change in the future . maybe theres a sneaky couple 6-4 over him but not sure and havent found it yet. i know flame fist can wreck jax to be fair. and in dragons fire liu should be controlling the spacing game and zoning game. jax can give him issues with df when hes up in his face. but with flame fist theres so many holes in jaxs pressure the ex wp seems like a godsend and flame fist vs jax i think is bad for jax . but i put liu in top 3 overall to be fair. i found his hardest mu so far shinnok and lao. I still dont see a bad mu for him though but might be subject to change in the future who knows
I also have flame fist beating Jax but I was discussing about Dragon's fire. I agree that he is probably top 3 in the current state of the game, but I think you guys are slightly overrating by only looking at his tools(which are very good, don't get me wrong) instead of looking at his weaknesses as well.

Alot of people when fighting Dragon's Fire see all the crazy FBRCs and assume that fighting him in the up close game is a bad choice which is completely untrue. You can't zone or play defensive against Dragon's Fire because that's when he's strongest, you MUST get in and abuse his defensive options if you want to beat him.

I also have flame fist beating Jax but I was discussing about Dragon's fire. I agree that he is probably top 3 in the current state of the game, but I think you guys are slightly overrating by only looking at his tools(which are very good, don't get me wrong) instead of looking at his weaknesses as well.

Alot of people when fighting Dragon's Fire see all the crazy FBRCs and assume that fighting him in the up close game is a bad choice which is completely untrue. You can't zone or play defensive against Dragon's Fire because that's when he's strongest, you MUST get in and abuse his defensive options if you want to beat him.
like you said its just theory in mus because we cant know yet . the games too early :) , and yeh in df vs jax im not 100% on. just that flame fist beats him for sure. liu got his weaknesses but no bad mus found as of yet which is nice :). i dont think df liu vs is bad for either characters to be fair. i hear a lot of "jax cant get in with f21 cos lius d3 " , then im like then just use his f3/f4(dnt remember which is his) to full combo punish it. id have to play tyrant or someone of similar skill too decide. and jax can be like a bad rash to get him off liu upclose.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
like you said its just theory in mus because we cant know yet . the games too early :) , and yeh in df vs jax im not 100% on. just that flame fist beats him for sure. liu got his weaknesses but no bad mus found as of yet which is nice :). i dont think df liu vs is bad for either characters to be fair. i hear a lot of "jax cant get in with f21 cos lius d3 " , then im like then just use his f3/f4(dnt remember which is his) to full combo punish it. id have to play tyrant or someone of similar skill too decide. and jax can be like a bad rash to get him off liu upclose.
One of my main training partners has a seriously amazing Jax and I 100% positive that Jax beats DF. It's not just that he can get in with F21, F3, or either of his dash punches. It's the fact that when he gets in it's extremely hard for Liu Kang to get out of his pressure, backdash and his pokes aren't much of a help so you just have to wait until the Jax player leaves a slight hole for you to get out, even then the Jax player can read that and go for ex Overhead dash punch and combo you. I definitely cannot see Dragon's Fire winning this MU at all. Flame Fist has a much easier time with better zoning, Ex windmill punches, and parry to make Jax think twice before he does anything.

One of my main training partners has a seriously amazing Jax and I 100% positive that Jax beats DF. It's not just that he can get in with F21, F3, or either of his dash punches. It's the fact that when he gets in it's extremely hard for Liu Kang to get out of his pressure, backdash and his pokes aren't much of a help so you just have to wait until the Jax player leaves a slight hole for you to get out, even then the Jax player can read that and go for ex Overhead dash punch and combo you. I definitely cannot see Dragon's Fire winning this MU at all. Flame Fist has a much easier time with better zoning, Ex windmill punches, and parry to make Jax think twice before he does anything.
is he on ps4 or xboxone? , id like to try so i can see.

@PND i2 Gaug3 @Undeadjim @PND OmegaK

opinions?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
is he on ps4 or xboxone? , id like to try so i can see
I play offline with him and couple of friends, they sometimes play online but don't play with randoms or anyone from the East Coast or overseas(they live in California) because it's pointless. I can try to get them to play with you, but they're not the biggest fans of TYM either.

I definitely know enough about the Jax, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kung Jin, Shinnok, Johnny Cage, Erron Black, Ermac, D'Vorah, Raiden, Quan Chi, Kano and Kenshi MU to give accurate Dragon Fire numbers against them.

Spencer

Always Training
Tanya Kobo jutsu only has 3 losing matches up. Smh.

Tanya and predator top tier Wow two dlc characters

I play offline with him and couple of friends, they sometimes play online but don't play with randoms or anyone from the East Coast or overseas(they live in California) because it's pointless. I can try to get them to play with you, but they're not the biggest fans of TYM either.

I definitely know enough about the Jax, w Zero, Scorpion, Kung Jin, Shinnok, Johnny Cage, Erron Black, Ermac, D'Vorah, Raiden, Quan Chi, Kano and Kenshi MU to give accurate Dragon Fire numbers against them.
nice and whats are those other mus in your opinion?

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Im so sorry but you can't be 100% positive on that my TYM acquaintance and it comes down to this- your either not using liu kangs tools well or your suffering from respecting your opponent too much. Jax does NOT in anyway shape or form beat liu kang dragon fire 100% AT ALL are you high?
You said when jax gets in? Dude he gets in for like a few seconds- he's either neutral after his mids and you both have a 6frame high or he goes into his 7frame poke that is minus or he does 11 which is a high and can be punished or he ends its with -4 gotcha.

I downloaded the sheet and was curious as to what the total points were to each character to determine the tier list. Messed around with the sheet and got the following:
Tier List
Character (Variation)
Tier Score
Shinnok (Bone Shaper) 192
Kung Lao (Tempest) 185
Tanya (Kobu Jutsu) 181
Predator (Hish Qui Ten) 179
Cassie Cage (Hollywood) 175
Predator (Hunter) 174
D'Vorah (Swarm Queen) 169
Kitana (Royal Storm) 169
Quan Chi (Summoner) 168
Scorpion (Hellfire) 167
Tremor (Aftershock) 167
Sub Zero (Grandmaster) 165
Erron Black (Outlaw) 163
Johnny Cage (A List) 161
Kung Jin (Shaolin) 161
Kung Jin (Bojutsu) 159
Quan Chi (Sorcerer) 159
Raiden (Thunder God) 159
Kitana (Mournful) 158
Liu Kang (Flame Fist) 157
Kano (Cybernetic) 157
Jax (Heavy Weapons) 156
Sonya Blade (Covert Ops) 155
Kotal Kahn (War God) 152
Kenshi (Balanced) 150
Mileena (Ravenous) 148
Ermac (Master of Souls) 147
Reptile (Noxious) 146
Takeda (Shirai Ryu) 140
Jacqui Briggs (Full Auto) 136
Ferra Torr (Vicious) 135
Jason (Relentless) 130
Goro (Kuatan Warrior) 112

Also added in the variations you didnt use which currently all show as 0. (Joint 34th). The list will update automatically the more matchups that are added. Happy to email the sheet across if anybody is interested
Raiden has 164

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
nice and whats are those other mus in your opinion?
Jax: 4-6
Sub Zero(GM): 6-4 possibly 5-5.
Scorpion(Ninjitsu and Hellfire): 6-4
Kung Jin(Boujitsu): 5-5
Shinnok(Boneshaper, His toughest MU by far): 4-6
Cage(A-List and SD): 6-4
Erron Black(Outlaw and Marksman): 5-5, slightly tougher for Erron Black
Ermac(MoS): 6-4
D'Vorah(SQ): 5-5
Raiden(Thunder God, Not sure why people are forgetting about him): 5-5
Quan Chi(Summoner): 6-4, maybe 7-3. It can get pretty rough for him.
Kano(Cutthroat): 6-4, maybe a tough 5-5
Kenshi(Kenjutsu and possessed(a bit worse), balanced gets rekt,): 6-4

I can explain them later if you want.

And @GOOD DRAGON I dunno what to tell you man, I'm not sure which Jax players you're playing but I know for a fact you can't disrespect Jax, he's not Commando Kano lol. Who did you play to think Jax gets rekt by Liu Kang, and did you play him or was it your opponent.

Last edited:

gam224

The world's least hype player
The only way for you to get around a high attack that is insanely negative on whiff is to EX armor through it? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I've been playing the matchup all wrong. I mean, it's not like his overhead is the most easily blocked move ever. And it's not like I can run full screen every time he whiffs a bf3.

Yep, gotta armor through that shiiiiit otherwise there's just no way around it :(

Congrats you beat up a training dummy.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Sub Zero(GM): 6-4
Kano(Cutthroat): 6-4, maybe 5-5
Kenshi(Kenjutsu, balanced gets rekt, not too much Possessed exp. but it's sort of in the middle for both): 6-4

And @GOOD DRAGON I dunno what to tell you man, I'm not sure which Jax players you're playing but I know for a fact you can't disrespect Jax, he's not Commando Kano lol. Who did you play to think Jax gets rekt by Liu Kang, and did you play him or was it your opponent.
I think A-List loses 3-7, it is super though. Looks like one of JC hardest MUs to me:

1) Liu wins the zoning battle easily

2) From upclose Johnny pressure is much inferior. He doesn't have any 7f normal and gets trapped by the Fireball dash cancel pressure...he has to commit to a random Nutpunch Ex if he has meter, or try a backdash but that gets stuffed very easily. Withou meter is pretty much gg.

3) d3 nullifies any jump attempt, and makes approaching with f3 pretty hard too. After blocking it Cage has to respect whatever Liu wants to do...things like d3 on block, f4 can't be interrupted if not with armor. The best cage can get is a d1 trade in theory, but I'm not even sure it works since JC loses some frames because of crouch block.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I think A-List loses 3-7, it is super though. Looks like one of JC hardest MUs to me:

1) Liu wins the zoning battle easily

2) From upclose Johnny pressure is much inferior. He doesn't have any 7f normal and gets trapped by the Fireball dash cancel pressure...he has to commit to a random Nutpunch Ex if he has meter, or try a backdash but that gets stuffed very easily. Withou meter is pretty much gg.

3) d3 nullifies any jump attempt, and makes approaching with f3 pretty hard too. After blocking it Cage has to respect whatever Liu wants to do...things like d3 on block, f4 can't be interrupted if not with armor. The best cage can get is a d1 trade in theory, but I'm not even sure it works since JC loses some frames because of crouch block.
They're both very strong pressure characters in their own right. Liu gets more flow chart guaranteed pressure, far better zoning, and slightly better mobility, while Cage has more of a guessing game pressure, better footsies, standing resets, and an armored launcher. Neither character wants to deal with the others pressure nor should they be jumping around to get they're game started, but the zoning is what puts it in Liu's favor though.

Also the dash cancel pressure will be removed, there's no way it's gonna be staying as it is.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Sub Zero(GM): 6-4
Kano(Cutthroat): 6-4, maybe 5-5
Kenshi(Kenjutsu, balanced gets rekt, not too much Possessed exp. but it's sort of in the middle for both): 6-4

Lol I want you to tell me the truth- your high aren't you?!

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I don't see this as a 6-4 in Jax's favor given DF's current state, because Liu can build meter like crazy through either his fireball or pressure game he always has a safe option out of 90% of Jax's pressure options minus 12 which will break the armor. The problem with throwing out 12 is that you're negative from this point onwards and it is Liu's turn to hit you with the bullshit. So one option covers your armor but leads to eating god knows how much of you're pressure, or you can armor every other button after the slightly plus 11 or f2/f21 etc outside of armor though I understand your options are very much limited to what Jax can do. Reading with an EX overhead dash punch isn't really needed because if you're going to break the armor you may as well do it freely.

In HW the rocket is not good tool for trying to counter zone much to slow will only get me killed. Pumped up's more defensive style of play might be able to keep you in check more with air ground pounds in combination with plasma but then I lose my only safe armored reversal. Wrestler can't really make good use of the slow plasma with its slower ground pound game to keep you honest and now your F3 is unsafe (I've tested for all 3 variations even if I do either knee into any EX move to try and trade armor your EX Dragon Wraith, the backhand will always beat it)

Liu can lowprofile F21 very easy and while dash punches are a space control tool they are not the solution to get in the neutral because you're either going to eat a full combo from them ducking, or there going to not be sitting in the closer overhead range unless you've done well enough to trap them close to corner. F3 can work if spaced correctly but I don't get to start my pressure from this like cage does his knee, If i'm playing anything outside of HW and you block a knee i'm at -4 with gotcha or you've just armored through the gap and sent me fullscreen/EX bicycle kick In HW I am able to bait both and run in and block but again you can read this and start you're pressure.

TL.DR Liu plays a better zoning game even in DF, has a safe armored reversal (Puts me fullscreen) for all my pressure mixups minus 12 which if I read badly results in me eating you're pressure letting you build a bunch of meter and if you end in a throw which is pretty much 100% due to how plus you are i'm fullscreen eating fireballs again. Jax has options when he gets you to the corner and keeps you there and is able to mix you up, however just like any none correct read Jax does both his low and overhead options are negative enough for you to start you're turn.

IMO I don't see how this could be a 6-4 in Jax's favor looking at other MU's where he does arguably beat people 6-4. I see it as 5/5 until I get the chance to sit down and play someone like @xarakamaka offline in a long set.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
I don't see this as a 6-4 in Jax's favor given DF's current state, because Liu can build meter like crazy through either his fireball or pressure game he always has a safe option out of 90% of Jax's pressure options minus 12 which will break the armor. The problem with throwing out 12 is that you're negative from this point onwards and it is Liu's turn to hit you with the bullshit. So one option covers your armor but leads to eating god knows how much of you're pressure, or you can armor every other button after the slightly plus 11 or f2/f21 etc outside of armor though I understand your options are very much limited to what Jax can do. Reading with an EX overhead dash punch isn't really needed because if you're going to break the armor you may as well do it freely.

In HW the rocket is not good tool for trying to counter zone much to slow will only get me killed. Pumped up's more defensive style of play might be able to keep you in check more with air ground pounds in combination with plasma but then I lose my only safe armored reversal. Wrestler can't really make good use of the slow plasma with its slower ground pound game to keep you honest and now your F3 is unsafe (I've tested for all 3 variations even if I do either knee into any EX move to try and trade armor your EX Dragon Wraith, the backhand will always beat it)

Liu can lowprofile F21 very easy and while dash punches are a space control tool they are not the solution to get in the neutral because you're either going to eat a full combo from them ducking, or there going to not be sitting in the closer overhead range unless you've done well enough to trap them close to corner. F3 can work if spaced correctly but I don't get to start my pressure from this like cage does his knee, If i'm playing anything outside of HW and you block a knee i'm at -4 with gotcha or you've just armored through the gap and sent me fullscreen/EX bicycle kick In HW I am able to bait both and run in and block but again you can read this and start you're pressure.

TL.DR Liu plays a better zoning game even in DF, has a safe armored reversal (Puts me fullscreen) for all my pressure mixups minus 12 which if I read badly results in me eating you're pressure letting you build a bunch of meter and if you end in a throw which is pretty much 100% due to how plus you are i'm fullscreen eating fireballs again. Jax has options when he gets you to the corner and keeps you there and is able to mix you up, however just like any none correct read Jax does both his low and overhead options are negative enough for you to start you're turn.

IMO I don't see how this could be a 6-4 in Jax's favor looking at other MU's where he does arguably beat people 6-4. I see it as 5/5 until I get the chance to sit down and play someone like @xarakamaka offline in a long set.
Boom drops mic

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

I'm just gonna post some bullet points of what I think of this from top to bottom.

-When you say safe option out of Jax's pressure do you mean Ex Backhand or Ex Flying Kick (Ex bicycle kick is irrelevant)? Because Backhand starts up in 18 frames which can be stuffed out even by 11 and Flying Kick is -8 so it can be full combo punished(a difficult punish though). Backdash isn't a very good option for Liu Kang because it's absolutely terrible, Liu Kang can kind of poke out with D3 but it's 12 frames and can be beaten by nearly all of Jax's pokes, allowing him to stay on Liu Kang. Also using 12 against Liu Kang isn't a bad idea at all, it's only -3 which means if you do a D1 right after you'll beat out every option Liu Kang does or trade with B1 and if you read onto that you can backdash and whiff punish the B12 string.

-Everyone has to deal with Liu Kang's FBRC pressure game with the way it currently is so I have no real comeback for that(sorry </3). At least Jax's backdash is good enough to escape F213 FBDC pressure so you have it better than most characters.

-I agree Liu Kang's zoning beats out whatever Jax can throw back but that's where the Ex OH dash punch comes into play. Anytime Liu Kang goes for a Low fireball the Ex OH dash punch will easily handle it, do a full combo punish, and cover a large distance of the screen towards the corner. This is the best use of meter you have because it'll make the Liu Kang player scared to throw fireballs which makes getting in alot easier, it's not like you can use meter to get out of Liu Kang's pressure since Liu's B1>Armor.

-D3 low profiling F21 is a problem I'll give you that, but I'm not sold on the idea that it stops Jax in his tracks. It can't really be done on reaction since it's 12 frames and F2 is 13 frames, Jax has plenty of good low pokes as well to deal with it in the footsies game(F21 isn't all he has), F3 can be used to punish an d3 happy Liu Kang player for good damage, and if Liu Kang does manage to do a D3 on block from anything other than point blank range you can backdash any follow ups and easily whiff punish since the animations for B12, F44, of F213 are quite long. Also Jax has some of the best jumpins to punish low profilers and Liu Kang isn't exactly a AA master.

It seems to me your problems with the MU are the zoning and staying in with pressure against Liu Kang, just go into practice mode and see which works best for you. Every Dragon's Fire player has a preference of how they like to play whether it's zoning or rushdown so remember that when you design your strategy.

Last edited: