What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

boba_buster

Noob saibot
That's not what ANYONE is saying at all.

Man I was trying to be nice and patient with you but now I'm starting to not give a fuck anymore.

What you are proposing is garbage. NO ONE WITH A BRAIN is going to use ex invisibility, then do ex sb. What sense does that make? That's 2 bars gone, 3 if you started a combo with ex tele. He's already meter dependant in a game that is based heavily on meter, so as the days go one and we progress more with the character, we are NOT going to spend all the meter just do get the same situation we get now for a bar/meterless. Why can't you understand that?

Yes, it's only day 2. But everything I'm preaching about day 2 smoke is far more superior to what you're preaching.

Basically, I make sense. You don't.
I never said using two bar was a good idea, I was trying to find a way to use invisibility in the vortex without spending two bars to connect the over head dip shit . Learn to read. Get some hooked on phonics ...something !

boba_buster

Noob saibot
That's not what ANYONE is saying at all.

Man I was trying to be nice and patient with you but now I'm starting to not give a fuck anymore.

What you are proposing is garbage. NO ONE WITH A BRAIN is going to use ex invisibility, then do ex sb. What sense does that make? That's 2 bars gone, 3 if you started a combo with ex tele. He's already meter dependant in a game that is based heavily on meter, so as the days go one and we progress more with the character, we are NOT going to spend all the meter just do get the same situation we get now for a bar/meterless. Why can't you understand that?

Yes, it's only day 2. But everything I'm preaching about day 2 smoke is far more superior to what you're preaching.

Basically, I make sense. You don't.
Oh and by the way my message u quoted wasn't for u lol

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Okay then why go invisible at all then?

It seems like you guys are trying to come up with way too much fancy/technical stuff just to do the same exact vortex. For what? Going invisible and then doing b1 ex sb is a waste of 2 bars when I can just do 3 phase b1 exsb for a bar. Going invisible and then doing b1 sb on a female is a waste of a bar when I can just do 3 phase b1 sb for a METERLESS VORTEX.

Just keep it simple. No reason to spend extra bars, stamina or none of that stuff just to get the same results. It's lame to me.

@EMPEROR PRYCE I get what you're saying but smoke is a vortex character. If I end combos with F21 ex invis, not only do I not get the vortex, but I'm giving my opponent the chance to breathe. Once I get my vortex going, I'm going to keep doing it until it stops, especially since it's safe and one of the options leaves me +8.
I don't think smoke is a vortex character. He has a vortex, but one option you can't combo from meterlessly and out of both options you have holes that are easy af to expose.

He has some of the best whiff punishes in the game and that's also where he gets his most damage.

I kind of feel like he's similar to takeda in that regard, has decent mix up potential, but plays the footsie game better.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I don't think smoke is a vortex character. He has a vortex, but one option you can't combo from meterlessly and out of both options you have holes that are easy af to expose.

He has some of the best whiff punishes in the game and that's also where he gets his most damage.

I kind of feel like he's similar to takeda in that regard, has decent mix up potential, but plays the footsie game better.
So you would recommend ending combos for damage majority of the time instead of trying to reset the opponent into the vortex? Would you recommend playing him generally from a distance and whiff punishing than going in? Curious to hear your thoughts, knowing you put in a ton of time with him already.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
So you would recommend ending combos for damage majority of the time instead of trying to reset the opponent into the vortex? Would you recommend playing him generally from a distance and whiff punishing than going in? Curious to hear your thoughts, knowing you put in a ton of time with him already.

Honestly, I leave my opponent standing and go for a mix up most of the time unless I use the bar on invisibility.

If he's in, he should use his vortex meterlessly, use his meter for breakers.

I'm no smoke expert though, no one is. we all still tryna figure him out.

Although, I feel if you aren't using ex invisibility out of f21 or don't see the utility behind it then idk what to tell you.

RM_NINfan101

Honestly, I leave my opponent standing and go for a mix up most of the time unless I use the bar on invisibility.

If he's in, he should use his vortex meterlessly, use his meter for breakers.

I'm no smoke expert though, no one is. we all still tryna figure him out.

Although, I feel if you aren't using ex invisibility out of f21 or don't see the utility behind it then idk what to tell you.
By leaving them standing I assume you mean ending the combos into 21xxPhase. I have been doing that, but might start using F21 instead due to the smoke visual mindgames. I feel sometimes people just like to d1 the B3 and B1 and grab so I wonder if perhaps that might help a bit to bait pokes/reversals.

EX Invis seems useful but I wouldn't do it without at least two bars of meter in your gauge. I certainly like making people guess with his B21 and F21 strings and whether I might end them, do a smoke bomb, EX tele if they're trying to press buttons etc...

It depends on the circumstance and matchup, if Im not that worried about the chars offense Ill go for longer combos and carry to the corner because even without the restand he can still keep on the attack. Although he doesnt need the corner, Im a corner rapist and I like how the oh works in the corner

RM_NINfan101

Anyone else figure out why smoke is borderline terrible yet?
Not Borderline Terrible at all, just takes a bit of work to get working.

Once you understand how to use his gaps in his strings to his advantage and how amazing Phase and EX Phase are, he's actually a solid character. Just not really super busted or has the oki of bombs and up rockets like the other variants have. He might potentially be the weakest variation, but I don't think he sucks super hard y'know?

Not Borderline Terrible at all, just takes a bit of work to get working.

Once you understand how to use his gaps in his strings to his advantage and how amazing Phase and EX Phase are, he's actually a solid character. Just not really super busted or has the oki of bombs and up rockets like the other variants have. He might potentially be the weakest variation, but I don't think he sucks super hard y'know?
Almost every character can blow him up for using EX SB from almost every normal,he has to sacrifice his plus strings if he doesn't want to get armored/whiff punished. Once people learn this most of the cast takes a lot of his options away.

RM_NINfan101

Is ex smoke ball not plus??? I swear I cant get any setup out of this.
It's +8

One thing I noticed about Smoke is that he seems not to benefit a ton from his plus frames. Even though 1112 and 114 are +2, the pushback just resets everything.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I think this chararcter is gonna live and dye by his vortex in my opinion most meter should be saved for damaging vortex combos the only way hes gonna compete is once you hit someone they have to guess everytime over and over until they guess right to get out, If we guess right a few times in the vortex and execute right and have enough meter the round can be over without them ever getting to play lol

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So what does one do when being pressured. No armor and trying to find gaps through staggers or just strings with gaps is a nightmare and one mistake means corner town no few to no options.

nugava

Noob
I think his vortex is very usable... If you are down in life in the last round and you have three meters... I'll def use the unsafe b3/b1 EX teleport into Spear 3 standing reset... That's like ThunderGod corner shit... Huge comeback potential... Not every char has that...

What is everyone ending their resets in? I use 3 but i might start using f21. & for a rush down character i use ex smoke away for a wake up, but how good is it?

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Does anyone know how many frames a crossup is? Spear is +68 and recovery on ex invis is 41. j2 is 8 frames and +50 and I'm wondering if you can get a crossover j2 in 27 frames to jail. If you're +50 you can crossup oh or njp for a meterless oh starter. The screen raises so they can see you're jumping but they can't see what you're doing. Crazy mixups like empty jumps, staggers, etc. I just feel like they had to give him some broke shit since every string has a gap, no armor, and meter dependency.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I think his vortex is very usable... If you are down in life in the last round and you have three meters... I'll def use the unsafe b3/b1 EX teleport into Spear 3 standing reset... That's like ThunderGod corner shit... Huge comeback potential... Not every char has that...
Yeah i agree im goona do more unsafe b3/b1 ex teleport just because it does the most damaging vortex combos

Once in a while We could start using ex invisibility vortex then do f12ex teleport. They would have to block overhead low while were still invisible isnt that basically an unblockable need to test when i get home