What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
If smokes 50/50s were reactable id say go for invisibility but his mix ups are unreactable maybe the overhead if your sonic fox. But preety much unreactable so why use the extra bar that you desperately need with this character.

Just my 2 cents

But a 1 bar invisibility vortex would be Godlike if you guys find away to do it

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
I know, I get it.

Look at it in this scenario:

You're fighting sub and he does an ice ball. You ex tele on reaction and hit. That's a bar right there but that's fine. Do whatever combo you want into a spear. Then you do ex invisibility. That's another bar. Then you do b1 ex sb, but it's blocked. That's 3 bars gone in less than 20 secs. See what I mean? Or what if sub decided to ex slide b1 ex sb and he had aura on? That's a full combo we have to eat and we can't break.

Just trying to put things into perspective
I've been a little underwhelmed with him this far. My game plan usually revolves around getting them to block low and hit with b1 spear. I don't find invis to be useful but it's an option for him. My best approach is to use meter for breaker and phase or teleport. Ex sb isn't guaranteed and doesn't really lead to anything and, as you've mentioned, invis isn't that beneficial

IsrA9x19

Noob
I've been a little underwhelmed with him this far. My game plan usually revolves around getting them to block low and hit with b1 spear. I don't find invis to be useful but it's an option for him. My best approach is to use meter for breaker and phase or teleport. Ex sb isn't guaranteed and doesn't really lead to anything and, as you've mentioned, invis isn't that beneficial
i haven´t tested yet but i think in the corner could be a really good tool to apply pressure with everything safe strings,50/50 ,grabs or bait any unsafe ex wake up or reversal ... they aren´t going to be able to see the strings so you could make them respect it

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Smoke's overhead starter is his B1. His B2 is Mid. Just an FYI.

But I like it. Definitely something. It'd probably be wise to mix up the enders listed, as well, in-game.

KombatJames

For the lin kuei!
I'm not stuck on day 1 stuff but I'm just saying I don't see the whole point of the whole invisibility thing. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sometimes keeping it simple it what you need to do. Reminds me of IGAU when people were doing unnecessary stuff with Frost and Batgirl, yet Fox and I kept it simple and were recognized as the best for the characters.

Nothing wrong with finding tech. Hell I just posted tech yesterday. But this ex invisibility stuff b1 exsb stuff is just LOL to me.
I agree 100%. Why would you use 2 bars for 1 vortex sequence from a meter & stamina dependent character?? S3 phase and/or f21 phase is enuff for me lol. This discussion got real stupid really quick

KombatJames

For the lin kuei!
Definitely not the same thing lol.

Ice clone is a physical attack that keeps you trapped because of the freezing effect is causes, leaving you open for a combo. Because of that, it gives sub the opportunity to do a low, OH or even grab. Same with Bo's fart.

Smoke's ex invis is not even close to that. You use it to cause the opponent to panic, and probably cause them to make a mistake, and capitalize on it. You are not going to use it the same way sub using ice clone, or even how reptile uses his ex invisibility.

It's like you're missing the point. This game is highly meter dependant because breakers are such an important tool. So smoke using ex invisibility in a vortex situation just seems stupid to me. It's going to be the same vortex regardless, and since he gets a meterless vortex on females, I seriously don't see the point to it.
Right also. The only time i go ex invisible is when im full screen and my opponent is scared to death to press a button because of my db4. They panic real quick. Idk y these guys are so infatuated with vortexing ex invisible and burning 2 bars smh

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Hey guys. I been practicing all morning and I got my bnb down to the T. But before i jump into ranked online, what's the best gameplan to play smoke? Also with unsafe strings, how to I open up my opponents?

-Thanks guys:)
u think he's unsafe? nvm ur a scrub , I'm srry for entertaining you

KombatJames

For the lin kuei!
Scared of your db4? That's slow ass tele that's like -42 on block? Really?
Yea but if you are using smoke bombs they always try to jump out of it bro. When they jump, the teleport always connects. Especially if u ex it, its a free combo. Are u guys really that clueless??

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Yea but if you are using smoke bombs they always try to jump out of it bro. When they jump, the teleport always connects. Especially if u ex it, its a free combo. Are u guys really that clueless??
Hahaha no one is good is gonna jump over ur slow ass smoke clouds , wow dude ... Jus wow

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Hahaha no one is good is gonna jump over ur slow ass smoke clouds , wow dude ... Jus wow
The fuck is wrong with you?

Yes people to do try jump at you (over your smoke bombs or not); especially those with an instant air or a dive kick. You can catch them out of the air for full combo with ex tele. Quit acting like some smug superior arsehole and actually listen; in this case it's good advice.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Is there a certain distance or timing to getting the smoke bomb to connect off the overhead? It never combos for me unless I do EX smoke bomb.

KombatJames

For the lin kuei!

Yes people to do try jump at you (over your smoke bombs or not); especially those with an instant air or a dive kick. You can catch them out of the air for full combo with ex tele. Quit acting like some smug superior arsehole and actually listen; in this case it's good advice.
Thanks bro!!!! I was really losing faith in this thread lol. I apreciate it:)

boba_buster

Noob saibot

I'm not smug or superior , and if he had his mk9 smoke bomb it would be a great strategy but it's jus too damn slow , it has the speed of sub zeros iceball and That's like the slowest projectile in the game , I know I'm being an ass and all but doing that is just gonna get you punished for trying to use smokes most punishable special in the wrong situation. It's jus not something u should throw out there like that. I have a bad habit of sliding all the time with subzero and I can't tell you how many times I've lost matches because of it. Smokes tele is the same thing

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
My thoughts:

Certainly a character that seems easy enough at first, but really difficult to master. It's not so much his combo potential but sometimes getting in can be excruciatingly painful. Not having any legit mids aside from F4 (which, seems to not be a true mid?) hurts him. I was playing a Tarkatan Alien today and all he had to do was just d1 my B3 (seems to trade pretty often against pokes) and my grab, and my OH option in B2 off of 21xxphase. Maybe I'm clearly not getting the timing right, but other characters seem to just kinda shrug off his normals and range. Smoke ball being really slow doesn't help. Meter is pretty much going to be used for hit confirms with EX Tele, EX Phase for wakeups and EX Bomb for confirms and blockstrings.

Playing against characters who have great footsies, or can keep you out makes it difficult as well. I personally think Invis is just a bill and while not terrible, is used sparingly and certainly not even in every match. Sometimes you need the damage and/or the vortex to keep pressure. Plus, to use the bar for EX Invis just seems to be a waste especially given how important meter is to this character and EX Phase.

His d3 just sucks, D1 isn't too bad though. T-Rex arms and a ton of highs off of standing 1, 2, F1 is not fun, given those are his fastest moves. Seems you can just kinda duck against Smoke unless you use NJP which has it's own risks.

He's not terrible, but he kinda is underwhelming at first and maybe once I play a ton of games with him aside from a few days worth my opinion might change, but he might be the weakest of the four right now. Anything he does, Scorpion can kinda do better tbh.

Has anyone figured out if EX Trident is even worth anything useful? It just seems to provide a bit of extra damage and starts up faster.