What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Full screen I spam smokeballs and force my opponent to move or I build the meter to do b21exsb for frames.
On the same note after an exsb what is guranteed for pressure or combos?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Full screen I spam smokeballs and force my opponent to move or I build the meter to do b21exsb for frames.
On the same note after an exsb what is guranteed for pressure or combos?
After exsb, f1 is guaranteed since it's 8f. I like doing f4 tho since it's a mid, only 2f slower than f1 and leads to more damage

For combos, I do *slight run under* 4, njp, 4 spear into whatever the situation calls for

Last edited:

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Smoke bomb needs to start up quicker if it was faster he would be the perfect character im just use to mk9 smoke bomb lol

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
After exsb, f1 is guaranteed since it's 8f. I like doing f4 tho since it's a mid, only 2f slower than f1 and leads to more damage

For combos, I do *slight run under* 4, njp, 4 spear into whatever the situation calls for
Thanks, I need to get out of the habit of commiting to extp and that helps

Hello Guys,

First time poster and long time lurker. I am having some trouble performing his air through consistently. Is there a trick to the timing?

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Heres somethings ive found

Midscreen vortex setup
B3 smoke bomb njp 4 f21 spear jip 3.
It seems that s3 grants you a free IJ2 but IJ2 doesnt jail into b1. But its still good.

Meaty ex smoke bomb
After 213 you can ex smoke bomb and iif they wake up you are able to block in time. Only if the wake up is 9f or slower unfortunatley. This is good brcause if they block yure at plus frames if they block or if they meterless wake up jump or anything they will get hit out of it.

Safe slide
Just some info.
SLide is safer based on distance and what frame it connects
You can end in a nockdown and go for slide and if blocked on the last active frame you can be 0 on block
A set up is 1112 into slide

Full screen smoke bomb
Ex is about +20
Regular is +5

smoke bomb block strings no gap
3 ex smoke bomb
114 ex smoke bomb
114 regular smoke bomb

B21 gap
B21 has a gap at point blank range but a max range b2 gets rid of the gap.

Thats all for now

Last edited:

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub

Midscreen vortex setup
It seems that s3 grants you a free IJ2 but IJ2 doesnt jail into b1. But its still good.

Meaty ex smoke bomb
After 213 you can ex smoke bomb and iif they wake up you are able to block in time. Only if the wake up is 9f or faster unfortunatley. This is good brcause if they block yure at plus frames if they block or if they meterless wake up jump or anything they will get hit out of it.

Safe slide
Just some info.
You can end in a nockdown and go for slide and if blocked on the last active frame you can be 0 on block

Full screen smoke bomb
Ex is about +20
Regular is +5

3 ex smoke bomb
114 ex smoke bomb
114 regular smoke bomb

B21 gap

Thats all for now
This depends on the reversal. I tested this last night with Lao's EX spin and he was always armoring through; however, Sub's EX Frost Bomb would not come out at max range.

Also, how much damage does that vortex setup do?
I go for b3xxdb1 njp 4 b21xxbf1 ji2 3xxphase for 24%

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
This depends on the reversal. I tested this last night with Lao's EX spin and he was always armoring through; however, Sub's EX Frost Bomb would not come out at max range.

Also, how much damage does that vortex setup do?
I go for b3xxdb1 njp 4 b21xxbf1 ji2 3xxphase for 24%
Oops thats my combo in meant to put b21

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!

Midscreen vortex setup

Meaty ex smoke bomb
After 213 you can ex smoke bomb and iif they wake up you are able to block in time. Only if the wake up is 9f or slower unfortunatley. This is good brcause if they block yure at plus frames if they block or if they meterless wake up jump or anything they will get hit out of it.

Safe slide
Just some info.

Full screen smoke bomb
Ex is about +20
Regular is +5

3 ex smoke bomb
114 ex smoke bomb
114 regular smoke bomb

B21 gap

Thats all for now
Nice stuff. Takin' notes....

Good to know about the gap-less Smoke Bomb options.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
Don't know if anyone's mentioned how good f2,1 is or not. You can delay the 3 or 4 along with the tele mix up. Once conditioned, you can do phase forward to continue pressure or stop and be safe for reversals. My favorite string as of now

xSamuel

Also only true block string into ex smoke bomb is standing 3, at least from all of my testing

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"

Midscreen vortex setup

Meaty ex smoke bomb

Safe slide
Just some info.

Full screen smoke bomb
Ex is about +20
Regular is +5

3 ex smoke bomb
114 ex smoke bomb
114 regular smoke bomb

B21 gap

Thats all for now
The only issue is with 114, as it has a gap, but I guess it is valid enough that people should maybe expect 111 and 1112.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm not getting it to link
Set the character to block, stance, duck, this is the situation you hit B1.
Female characters get comboed. Males dont.

Edit: NVM I see the issue, its a strange one because a duck blocking female character will eat the B1 smoke bomb, but after the vortex situation it'll have to reset to neutral before it works again, I'm sure theres a way to work around this.

Either that or its just another layer to the vortex if you wanna be cheeky and do it for no meter on the overhead.

Last edited:

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Could've missed it but haven't seen it on here yet... End vortex in j2 (+50) and you get free ex invis (41 recovery) and f1 (8) to lead into 50/50 or smoke setup.

xSamuel

Could've missed it but haven't seen it on here yet... End vortex in j2 (+50) and you get free ex invis (41 recovery) and f1 (8) to lead into 50/50 or smoke setup.
Yeah, I'm trying that but I can just down poke out with Mileena. Maybe I'm not doing it fast enough but I can't get it to frame trap, let alone jail

JesterSMX

Yeah, I'm trying that but I can just down poke out with Mileena. Maybe I'm not doing it fast enough but I can't get it to frame trap, let alone jail
The 1 frame is tight. I'm working on cross up timing after invis. Backdash might also be good to see if they panic and get a combo through whiff punishing or anti air.

xSamuel

My thought was to phase forward or backwards but I'm still in recovery frames from Invis. Is the jip delayed so it's closer to the ground? I think the landing frames are screwing up the +50. @JesterSMX

JesterSMX

My thought was to phase forward or backwards but I'm still in recovery frames from Invis. Is the jip delayed so it's closer to the ground? I think the landing frames are screwing up the +50. @JesterSMX
I think the timing of the f1 on the correct frame after invis recovery frames is the hard part. 1 frame link. I'm also doing j2 as a crossover and almost trying to cancel it into ex invis on the way down. It's tight and I don't have it down by any means but j2 +50? They put this in there for a reason.

JesterSMX

I take back what I said. Invisible vortex warrants no armor. Still don't know how good he is but we found his dirt.

Edit: It's so dirty. You can get two invisible mixups from meterless vortex.

Last edited:
every other variation has a better overhead option and his damage is pretty lackluster, but hes still sick looking
i havent messed around with smoke yet, just Sektor, but from what i've seen, all of them have identical OH (B1) right?

Last edited:

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
I take back what I said. Invisible vortex warrants no armor. Still don't know how good he is but we found his dirt.

Edit: It's so dirty. You can get two invisible mixups from meterless vortex.
Can you please explain how we do the invisible vortex again is it a 1 frame link ? Does it guantantee 50/50 after ex invisibility