What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Altsa

Smoke vs GM sub in the corner:

EX Phase forward gets your ass frozen every time against HKD into clone when used as a wakeup.
If you time EX Phase backward well enough, you can avoid Subs b2/b33/throw attempts and whiff punish.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
The 1 of b21 will whiff against any crouch blocking opponent. So if you try to start pressure with b21 x phase you get b213 leaving you at -23

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Isnt the b1 overhead kinda unreactable and the low b3 is definitely unreactable. So i dont see why we would use a bar for ex invisibility if our 50/50s are unreactable in the first place. I see the ex invisibility as a good mix up but not to be used all of the time.

xSamuel

Isnt the b1 overhead kinda unreactable and the low b3 is definitely unreactable. So i dont see why we would use a bar for ex invisibility if our 50/50s are unreactable in the first place. I see the ex invisibility as a good mix up but not to be used all of the time.
It's the same scenario as reptile. His mix ups are god like but people freeze when they can't see you so you get multiple tries.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
It's the same scenario as reptile. His mix ups are god like but people freeze when they can't see you so you get multiple tries.
What im worried about is spending two bars on already a meter depending heavy character. But yeah i agree i will definitely use the ex invisibility but not that often until i see better setups

xSamuel

What im worried about is spending two bars on already a meter depending heavy character. But yeah i agree i will definitely use the ex invisibility but not that often until i see better setups
Two bars? Ex invis can be setup off of regular spear and still connect 3 to leave you st +29 guaranteeing mix up or pressure

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
B1 is 18frames , you can block low and react , jus like sub zeros b2 ,
I think our overhead is a lil faster than subzeros i compare our overhead to shinnoks more than subzeros. Because its easier to react to subs overhead but shinnoks and smokes looks a litlea faster to me personally

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
He's a cool, fun character, and can definitely catch people with some resets, and u can hit confirm for good 40 percents. Unless they buff his smoke Bomb to mk9 speed I don't see how he can be tournament viable.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I'm trying to work on his vortex now. 21 seems to be the way to end it for +19. Meterlessly off of overhead he won't get much for vortex it appears but for low he can get more since it combos into bomb.
s3 is +29 on hit, I use that, but I've only had a few hours with him so far :/

Last edited:

xSamuel

Still 2 bars because you need to spend a bar to combo off of b1, unless it's a female.

I still don't like the idea but thats just me. I've been doing fine with the 3 phase vortex.
b1 x sb connects on low blocking males and females, exception being bigger hitbox characters. If you want to guarantee the combo, opponent is mashing buttons, then you can do spear or ex sb.

Edit: I was testing on Sub Zero who's hitbox, is apparently, small enough for it to work on. My fault on not checking other males @boba_buster

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
He's a cool, fun character, and can definitely catch people with some resets, and u can hit confirm for good 40 percents. Unless they buff his smoke Bomb to mk9 speed I don't see how he can be tournament viable.
Yeah hes definitely a cool character but something feels off with him he doesnt feel as smooth as mk9 smoke and smoke bomb is definitely too slow but its still early lets see what happens down the road i love this chararcter so ill play him no matter what

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Yeah hes definitely a cool character but something feels off with him he doesnt feel as smooth as mk9 smoke and smoke bomb is definitely too slow but its still early lets see what happens down the road i love this chararcter so ill play him no matter what
And i hate that people can pook out of f4 our fastest mid that thing should low crush please NRS fix your wonky hit boxes

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
As far as EX Invis goes, I def can see its Pros, as mentioned above. The meter reliance is a big turn off, when S3 and S3-Phase still grant you the vortex.
I feel it's def something to keep in the arsenal and through out once the opponent proves they can handle the post S3 and S3-Phase game.
I played with two training partners last night and did fine with just the S3/3-Phase options, but, as more people get used to the MU and his vortex down the road, I bet EX Invis will be more valuable. Needing the meter for B1-EX Smoke bomb, mid screen, is an important aspect, too.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
s3 is +29 on hit, I use that, but I've only had a few hours with him so far :/
I think 21 might offer slightly more damage and require no stamina but I don't know off of the top of my head, could be wrong. Anyway, I was wrong about 21 - it's actually +24, but after like +20 it doesn't matter how much advantage you have.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I think 21 might offer slightly more damage and require no stamina but I don't know off of the top of my head, could be wrong. Anyway, I was wrong about 21 - it's actually +24, but after like +20 it doesn't matter how much advantage you have.
Definitely wouldn't hurt to mix up 21 with s3-s3 Phase, either. The hit animations are different, as well. May cause panic/uncertainty in opponent.