What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@boba_buster, if the opponent is letting go of block to dodge the 3 part of F43, then you can do F42, which is safe (-5), so doesn't need to be hit confirmed, and leads to a 26%ish combo.

As for F43 whiffing on a blocking character, I haven't seen that happen. I've tested on Jacqui, who is quite small, and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Is there a specific character that causes this to happen?

boba_buster

Noob saibot
@boba_buster, if the opponent is letting go of block to dodge the 3 part of F43, then you can do F42, which is safe (-5), so doesn't need to be hit confirmed, and leads to a 26%ish combo.

As for F43 whiffing on a blocking character, I haven't seen that happen. I've tested on Jacqui, who is quite small, and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Is there a specific character that causes this to happen?
I've tested it against several characters and it's very in consistant , sub zero for instance , half the time it whiffs on crouch block

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main

I've tested it against several characters and it's very in consistant , sub zero for instance , half the time it whiffs on crouch block
For some characters (male or female) it's a completely random whiff during crouchblock, same for F214 and B214* (my mistake, B214 is consistent).
B21 doesn't have this issue, its whiffs are consistent.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

That's odd...I just tested it a number of times against Sub Zero and aren't seeing the block whiff. That said, I'm not surprised to hear about the existence of oddities in an NRS game. Even so, F43 is still very useful, and if you want to play it safe, that 40% combo can just be used as either a whiff punish or a regular punish, when you have 10+ frames to work with.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
@Harlequin969, F13, Spear, jump over punch, 4, Smoke Bomb, NJP, run, 4, F43, Tele-Drop does 30%. For females, changing the ender to NJP, jump air punch, run, F43, Tele-Drop does 29%.

Same combo for 111 does 29% on males, 28% on females.
I normally go into smokeball but I've started hitconfirming 111 into spear. I'll try to remember these consistenly though because damage is always good. Especially as a finish after a vortex

Jeffrey Wolf

@Poser Paul, of course. As I mentioned earlier (and I think everyone knows), the last hit of F214 is duckable. If you notice the opponent doing this though, you can instead end the string in sweep, which is safe if blocked and leads to a setup on hit. Smoke largely depends on your ability to read and adapt to what the opponent is doing.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
@Poser Paul, of course. As I mentioned earlier (and I think everyone knows), the last hit of F214 is duckable. If you notice the opponent doing this though, you can instead end the string in sweep, which is safe if blocked and leads to a setup on hit. Smoke largely depends on your ability to read and adapt to what the opponent is doing.
This is all correct but the problem is the f214 can whiff on crouch block like all his other high's , that is a big risk and a variable you can't account for in your game plan. He needs this shit fixed

Jeffrey Wolf

@boba_buster, I have yet to experience the block whiffing, at least on any consistent basis, and I've put in a lot of games with him. Since it's rare, the opponent is likely going to be just as surprised as you, and not punish or only marginally punish. Don't get me wrong, I hope very much it's fixed in the next Kombat Pack, if there is one, as shit like that shouldn't exist. Fingers crossed.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Wait until they start neutral ducking and punishing you
If they neutral duck they deserve the punish, they risked getting hit by F213 (or specials) / F4D12 or F42. However, as it is now, crouchblock randomly has the same effect. I don't use F214 anymore for this reason, it's completely random, spacing isn't a factor.

@boba_buster, I have yet to experience the block whiffing, at least on any consistent basis, and I've put in a lot of games with him. Since it's rare, the opponent is likely going to be just as surprised as you, and not punish or only marginally punish. Don't get me wrong, I hope very much it's fixed in the next Kombat Pack, if there is one, as shit like that shouldn't exist. Fingers crossed.
Try against D'vorah, It happens more often than not.

I hear that, but we're not talking about an inconsistent combo option, just a plus frame screen coverage option.
I WISH this was just an inconsistent combo outcome, having a F43 whiff on crouchblock is guaranteed full punish, that's even worse considering Smoke forces opponents to block the F4 strings and it's nullified due randomness.
It doesn't sound like a big deal, but put yourself in a Tournament setting this random whiff on your turn could mean your trip home.

Last edited:

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
If they neutral duck they deserve the punish, they risked getting hit by F213 (or specials) / F4D12 or F43. However, as it is now, crouchblock randomly has the same effect. I don't use F214 anymore for this reason, it's completely random, spacing isn't a factor.

Try against D'vorah, It happens more often than not.

I WISH this was just an inconsistent combo outcome, having a F43 whiff on crouchblock is guaranteed full punish, that's even worse considering Smoke forces opponents to block the F4 strings and it's nullified due randomness.
It doesn't sound like a big deal, but put yourself in a Tournament setting this random whiff on your turn could mean your trip home.
The f213 is very punishable isn't it?