What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Why who was stronger before the patch? And did they get nerfed? Or did smoke just get buffed?
All variations and Triborg globally got nerfs. Smoke didn't suffer from this as much as CSZ or Cyrax have, only thing really affected was his vortex game and he's got more going than that.
Cyrax, CSZ and Sektor also can't really use their F4 and the alternative F2 gets low profiled, F13 isn't an as accessible punishing tool for them.. those are some important tools, imo. Also B21.
I'd say Smoke is definitely the most viable one out of the variations but does suffer from more than one 7-3 MUs.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
wait, you think, currently, that CSZ is one of the, if not the best variation of Triborg right now?
Honestly yeah. His neutral is about on par with the other variations of triborg. f2's a great button. Properly spacing dive kicks, f3, and slide can keep your opponent guessing. He has all the good anti airs that the other variations can get and easily gets 30% mid with drones. He can get mid 30s in the corner and then can enforce either the HTBs or a good oki game in the corner.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Smoke is definitely solid. Some of the best neutral strings in the game, good frame traps, solid AA, good damage off of air conversions, and an ability to mix up his play style (i.e. vortex or not).

His cons are slightly lower damage than normal, but that's mitigated by the vortex potential and lack of armor wake-up options (obviously), though, of course, his EX Phase is quite good.

So, all in all, a solid character.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
What frame traps does Smoke have at his disposal? I think you get a free f4 after a blocked 1112 and consecutive f13's. Am I missing anything here without having the data in front of me?

Jeffrey Wolf

F43 is +2, though the second hit can be ducked of course.
F214 is +2, though, again, the end can be ducked.
21 is +2.
114 is +2.
1112 is +2, though there's a fair bit of pushback.

Also, forgot to mention that the other weakness of Smoke is his lack of quick "get off me" pokes, which is a decent hole in his game play.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Smoke is definitely solid. Some of the best neutral strings in the game, good frame traps, solid AA, good damage off of air conversions, and an ability to mix up his play style (i.e. vortex or not).

His cons are slightly lower damage than normal, but that's mitigated by the vortex potential and lack of armor wake-up options (obviously), though, of course, his EX Phase is quite good.

So, all in all, a solid character.
Totally agree. He was my favorite variation until they nerfed his damage for no reason. It's dishertening to barely get 28% on combos and getting hit by consistent mid 30s from my opponent. If they undid his damage nerfs I would return to the smoke train in a heartbeat.

Jeffrey Wolf

@Harlequin969, I hear you, but he still does 30% if you sacrifice the reset. And unless you're doing 35% like Piercing Mileena, it takes most characters 3 combos and some chip to win anyway. Plus, for one meter, Smoke does 40%, which isn't bad at all.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
@Harlequin969, I hear you, but he still does 30% if you sacrifice the reset. And unless you're doing 35% like Piercing Mileena, it takes most characters 3 combos and some chip to win anyway. Plus, for one meter, Smoke does 40%, which isn't bad at all.
I haven't seen many combos that do 30% off 111 or f13 which are his primary combo starters imo. B3/B1 do even less.

Jeffrey Wolf

@21122, F43, EX Tele-Drop, run, 4, Spear, jump over punch, 4, Smoke Bomb, F43, Tele-Drop does 41%. It's not his fastest starter, but since you'll be using F43 anyway for plus frames, it's not hard to get out in footsies or when punishing (assuming you have 10 frames to punish). Against females, you need to change the ender to Air Throw, in which case it does 40%.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
@21122, F43, EX Tele-Drop, run, 4, Spear, jump over punch, 4, Smoke Bomb, F43, Tele-Drop does 41%. It's not his fastest starter, but since you'll be using F43 anyway for plus frames, it's not hard to get out in footsies or when punishing (assuming you have 10 frames to punish). Against females, you need to change the ender to Air Throw, in which case it does 40%.
If they low block chances are the f43 will whiff

Jeffrey Wolf

@Harlequin969, F13, Spear, jump over punch, 4, Smoke Bomb, NJP, run, 4, F43, Tele-Drop does 30%. For females, changing the ender to NJP, jump air punch, run, F43, Tele-Drop does 29%.

Same combo for 111 does 29% on males, 28% on females.