What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

boba_buster

Noob saibot
If people know the matchup they're probably going to start backdashing more often on the vortex. with b3 being a 2 frame link any hesitation allows them to get out, or eat a measly mid 20's damage if you're on point with the low.
With the ji2 ender backdashing won't work

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Can someone confirm if we actually have a normal that they changed that has more than 17 hit advantage that will leave them close enough for the vortex? I highly doubt it but that would be great if so. I can't test now, I'm at work.
We don't I checked , +17 is the most without a knock down other than jip

Matix218

Get over here!
If there isnt we really will be ending in Ji2...the damage is going to be like fucking 18-20% per cycle and is still unsafe if they make the right read. Sucky.
What is the hit advantage on ji2? Is it more than the +17 from 21? I didn't even think about just doing ji2 by itself

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Wish he could use phase to extend combos example f13 phase 111 bomb etc. Swag wouldn't be broke at all idk I'm just talking out of my ass lol

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Question about the Ji2- how long do you have to delay the B1/3 so it doesn't just combo from the Jip?
Too quick, we'll just get some combo continuation. Too slow- armor/block/poke/etc.
Just implying that the +24 from the ji2 may have to turn into only a +22/20(?). I have no clue how many frames you'd have to wait so the combo doesn't continue.

Thoughts? Ideas?

*I actually tried it in a set with a training partner last night (ji2- vortex) and got armored before B1, by Tempest Lao.... But i did no testing prior, I just knew ji2 gave the frames. So I'm not discounting anything- just posing the question because of my 2x out of 20 games I tried it (b1 after ji2 for vortex, specifically).

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Question about the Ji2- how long do you have to delay the B1/3 so it doesn't just combo from the Jip?
Too quick, we'll just get some combo continuation. Too slow- armor/block/poke/etc.
Just implying that the +24 from the ji2 may have to turn into only a +22/20(?). I have no clue how many frames you'd have to wait so the combo doesn't continue.

Thoughts? Ideas?

*I actually tried it in a set with a training partner last night (ji2- vortex) and got armored before B1, by Tempest Lao.... But i did no testing prior, I just knew ji2 gave the frames. So I'm not discounting anything- just posing the question because of my 2x out of 20 games I tried it (b1 after ji2 for vortex, specifically).
It's really not that tricky , just don't Input the b1/3 as part of the ji2 string like u normally would do if you were trying to combo off a jump in , if you got armored out you waited way too long. Slight pause after pressing 2 while in air is all that is needed

Matix218

Get over here!
It's really not that tricky , just don't Input the b1/3 as part of the ji2 string like u normally would do if you were trying to combo off a jump in , if you got armored out you waited way too long. Slight pause after pressing 2 while in air is all that is needed
I totally get what you are saying but I am also wondering something else about using ji2 to start the vortex. I assume that ji2 is +24 from the time that the jip hits, but you are still in the air when the jip hits, so how many frames does it take for you to land then input your b1 or b3? You obviously can't just dial it like a string after jip because, as we were just discussing, it would just combo. So if it takes a few frames to be able to land (probably a couple more depending on how high you were when you hit the ji2) it may not end up being anymore plus than 21, possibly less? I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there. If we test and determine that ji2 can truly (consistently) jail into b1 that is great but on an aerial attack plus frames can be deceiving because you still have to land before doing another standing normal

Redux

Ex Phase
I totally get what you are saying but I am also wondering something else about using ji2 to start the vortex. I assume that ji2 is +24 from the time that the jip hits, but you are still in the air when the jip hits, so how many frames does it take for you to land then input your b1 or b3? You obviously can't just dial it like a string after jip because, as we were just discussing, it would just combo. So if it takes a few frames to be able to land (probably a couple more depending on how high you were when you hit the ji2) it may not end up being anymore plus than 21, possibly less? I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there. If we test and determine that ji2 can truly (consistently) jail into b1 that is great but on an aerial attack plus frames can be deceiving because you still have to land before doing another standing normal
It jails I'm trying it in practice mode right now. I want to add if your opponent is always buffering armor or backdash you can just switch up when you do the vortex to keep them on their toes. Everyone knows 21 is the usual since prepatch. But you can also use 2 as its +14 and they might be waiting for the string to finish. honestly I don't mind the vortex changes that much anymore now that we have it guaranteed with ji2 but the damage is so bad now especially if we end with ji2.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
It's still more than + 17 lol and from testing I find that it jails and is not armorable, it's also very misleading to the opponent cuz they don't know they are being reset , with the buff to b3 they can't fuzzy guard so that's one good thing

Matix218

Get over here!
It jails I'm trying it in practice mode right now. I want to add if your opponent is always buffering armor or backdash you can just switch up when you do the vortex to keep them on their toes. Everyone knows 21 is the usual since prepatch. But you can also use 2 as its +14 and they might be waiting for the string to finish. honestly I don't mind the vortex changes that much anymore now that we have it guaranteed with ji2 but the damage is so bad now especially if we end with ji2.
Yeah imo even with 21, it is still not bad by any means, and now that you have confirmed that ji2 does jail into b1, it is basically the same as before the patch minus the 2% smokebomb damage nerf and whatever the 21 adds after the ji2 (I assume we lost a total of around 4%)?

Our nerfs are nothing compared to csz and cyrax so really we can't complain too much.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Yeah imo even with 21, it is still not bad by any means, and now that you have confirmed that ji2 does jail into b1, it is basically the same as before the patch minus the 2% smokebomb damage nerf and whatever the 21 adds after the ji2 (I assume we lost a total of around 4%)?

Our nerfs are nothing compared to csz and cyrax so really we can't complain too much.
4% was a lot considering he didn't deserve to be nerfed

Matix218

Get over here!
@Matix218
How do you feel smokes vortex compares to scorpions?
I wouldn't describe what scorpion has as an actual vortex. If you are talking about ending a combo in the teleport standing reset and the mixup between b3 (low) and f4 (overhead) that can absolutely be reacted to since f4 is so slow. Smokes vortex is a true guess since you cannot react to the low or overhead so you must make a guess. Scorpions mixup yields waaaay more potential damage of course but it can be blocked on reaction so I would not call it a true vortex. But when you do manage to hit a f4 with scorpion, its definitely going to hurt bigtime.