What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
So many replies to quote... Lol
Thx for clarifying. Matix posed a good question about the frames it takes to land from a ji2. But like Boba mentioned, still isn't only +17.

Using standing 2, or even the old standing 3, is a good, safe test if you suspect armor/backdash buffering.

Standing 3 still keeps Smoke in perfect Throw range, while 21 does not. But ending in 3 is probably going to be met with armor a lot :/ 21 requires a quick run cancel before Throw.

Damage is just something we'll have to live with now.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Let's not forget u can stagger 111 and throw at any point , so if you go for b1xxexsmokebomb midscreen and they block , s1 jails and gives you 3 opportunities to throw
That's true. And I'm guilty of not exploring stagger-Throw options fully, thus far. I'll admit.
Only issue is that s1 is a high. After EX Smoke Bomb, I've been getting poked out of F1 and s1 (I've used them for their speed). Tremor syndrome. Lol. F4 has been treating me well, though.

Matix218

Get over here!
Does 11~smokebomb no longer combo? I was playing a match yesterday and I hit a jip into 11 and I must have missed pressing the third 1 before I cancelled into sb and they were able to block the sb. I am pretty sure 11 sb used to combo pre patch. I know its not a big deal, just my own fault for missing the last 1 before my smokebomb but just curious because im pretty darn sure that used to combo pre patch

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Does 11~smokebomb no longer combo? I was playing a match yesterday and I hit a jip into 11 and I must have missed pressing the third 1 before I cancelled into sb and they were able to block the sb. I am pretty sure 11 sb used to combo pre patch. I know its not a big deal, just my own fault for missing the last 1 before my smokebomb but just curious because im pretty darn sure that used to combo pre patch
Hmmm, no clue. And not to sound like a dick, but due to needing all the damage we can get- only 111-Bomb should be used. Hehe
111-Bomb/EX Sb still combos, on both male and females.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Guys, dont forget Smoke isnt all about the vortex. He has pretty darn good normals and footsie tools. You can just flat out end your meterless combos for 25%-30%. That's not bad at all for meterless.

Not to mention we can now jump in and 50/50. Before you could easily fuzzy guard it...now not so much. What we should be looking for is safe jump situations.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Guys, dont forget Smoke isnt all about the vortex. He has pretty darn good normals and footsie tools. You can just flat out end your meterless combos for 25%-30%. That's not bad at all for meterless.

Not to mention we can now jump in and 50/50. Before you could easily fuzzy guard it...now not so much. What we should be looking for is safe jump situations.
Got vortexed talking about the vortex...

Ya, ending in 213 or F213 is a personal strategy, for those meterless combos. Amazing hit adv on knockdown.
Like you mentioned, the jip-50/50 or run up 50/50 is stronger now.

Matix218

Get over here!
Hmmm, no clue. And not to sound like a dick, but due to needing all the damage we can get- only 111-Bomb should be used. Hehe
111-Bomb/EX Sb still combos, on both male and females.
Oh I know we need to use 111 anyway. I just must have missed my input, but thats my own fault, I just know it used to still combo regardless but now it doesn't. Definitely not a big deal though

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Considering Cyber Sub can't connect normal Ice Ball into several combo starters/punishes now, due to its increased start up (26f)- I'm breathing a sigh of relief that the 31f Smoke Cloud can still be used with Smoke's common starters, for meterless combos/punishes.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Ok so when we say safe jumps do we mean on hit or after knockdown? Cuz I don't think anything he could do without knocking them down will give him a safe jump , I'm testing against cyber Kanos d2 right now

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
What you been working with? How u ending the vortex etc. anything new?
I still play him the same. I use 21 vortex and keep it going until I finally get armored for it. Then I'll start playing mindgames by waiting a bit after 21 to bait stuff or go for the 50/50.

He didn't change that much. The nerf sucks but its something you can easily adapt to. I still think he's good

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I still play him the same. I use 21 vortex and keep it going until I finally get armored for it. Then I'll start playing mindgames by waiting a bit after 21 to bait stuff or go for the 50/50.

He didn't change that much. The nerf sucks but its something you can easily adapt to. I still think he's good
Yea , I been mostly going with the ji2 ender but I don't like it . I'll use the 21 when I know I wanna go for the low or a throw

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So after the tank that run over Cyber Subby Wubby with the last patch. Im looking for another character. I used to play Smoke in MK9 so I figured I'll try smoke here. How is he after the patch? worth learning or not really?

boba_buster

Noob saibot
So after the tank that run over Cyber Subby Wubby with the last patch. Im looking for another character. I used to play Smoke in MK9 so I figured I'll try smoke here. How is he after the patch? worth learning or not really?
He got pretty serious nerfs considering he needed buffs , he lost his true vortex , oh can be armored , his ex smoke bomb is now + 5 down from +8 , and his already low low damage was dropped by 2