What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
The only scary thing ive noticed so far is he seems pretty meter dependent for most things.

Also the lack of armor is a glaring weakness seeing as the invincible move still keeps you right next to them.
First things I noticed after playing a few matches. I guess you can kind of use b214 for some meter building.

I've pretty much been saving meter to make the vortex safe, not once have I considered using ex invis. I understand how to, i just feel that making his vortex safe is a more efficient use of meter than invisibility. Thoughts?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
After a few sets I find myself playing a keep away kind of game. Using a lot of smoke away in the neutral and throwing smoke bombs to build meter and force them to move. Once they start moving I either punish with njp or a tp. From there I either smoke away again, ex smoke towards to start f214 or b214 pressure into grabs or into a 50/50. By keeping away with this you build meter pretty fast.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You can delay the F3,4 input just like stagger strings in tekken, Lmao, that one will make kinda hard dificult to punish, since you can delay the 4 pretty much to the point of they considering a late delay, and then you don't cancel into anything at all and remain safe. but still pretty sure it can be armored out of.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
The b214-string allows constant pressure that the opponent can hardly react to. E.g. b21-fade towards, JIP, and so on... All moves that produce smoke look quite similar so that there will be constant mindgames if applied properly. Besides his pressuregame can be made safe or even plus on block (ex smokebomb, 4). This is pretty much the best offense that I have seen among the dlc chars so far...

iamShorteh

"Vengeance will be mine!"
The biggest issue for Smoke that I can see so far is the new Breaker stamina change, which removes all stamina from both players when somebody breaks.
As you're so stamina dependent (no armored wakeup, no movement without stamina) if you're stuck in a corner and the opponent breaks you're literally stuck there with nothing to do.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
The biggest issue for Smoke that I can see so far is the new Breaker stamina change, which removes all stamina from both players when somebody breaks.
As you're so stamina dependent (no armored wakeup, no movement without stamina) if you're stuck in a corner and the opponent breaks you're literally stuck there with nothing to do.
Ex phase doesn't require stamina

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
You can spend a bar for EX Smoke Away since it costs no stamina.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
at school atm so I can't play myself but how's smoke looking, what's he good at and what isn't he good at

was I right to assume CSZ would be better

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Thanks for pointing that move out, overlooked it before.
How would you continue after that EX Smoke away/towards?
Couldn't the opponent expect this and backdash into a full punish?
Well, yeah but if they're trying to attack you, you can get out using it and punish them. If you think they're going to read a wakeup from you then you can just not wakeup. If you think they're going to try and react to it then you can just wakeup towards the corner with regular Smoke Away and bait them to do that. They're the one that needs to make the read to punish. When you wakeup you reset the neutral and can runaway and play the neutral game.

Basically, it's a game of reads on wakeup - like any other wakeup.

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
It's worth mentioning that 3 xx EX db1 is a true blockstring that gives us some nice pressure options if we have a bar to spare.

I think it can be useful after a restand in some cases where we want to keep pressure instead of commiting to a mixup. It's not a go to option obviously, but it's another possibility to mix things up.

Last edited:
changed one of the combo's i saw earlier in the thread for greater set up potential

JIP-F43- EX DB4- S4- BF1- JIP - F13- DB1 - NJP - F21 (39%)

can also cancel into a EX dd3 for set ups

its also a standing reset aswell :]

nugava

Noob
His Low Low Overhead Mid is safe on block with now gap (b3 d4 u3) (Except against EX Slide of Reptile)...