What's new

General/Other - Cyber Sub-Zero XL Cyber Sub-Zero Discussion Thread

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
you can cancel b2? how??

also, f4~ice beam bruh, learn it love it live it <3
You can cancel out of the backdash and into any special move. Note that this prevents the normal b2 hit from coming out, but it's a great way to make space or even make a ghetto 50/50 out of b2 and b2 xx slide.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
You know the 1112 fucked us over way more than Cyrax players, since they can end in 114 bomb because their bomb comes out in a net combo but our bomb doesn't come out in a freeze combo.

Also freeze full combos ending in f2 are a bitch since the timing gets very strict. In the corner njk works better for me.
Wait I thought you didnt like this character. Apparently soon to be Sheeva tier. -_-

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Welp I'm playing this guy now so get used to it ;D Might bring him out at Viennality and Hypespotting...

Day 1 and already this guy is m e n t a l, not only against other people but to play as too (but in a good way, I like it). Always liked playing characters that need you to press lots of buttons, that's why I played Skarlet in MK9 :)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I made a quick vid of this midscreen setup I've been trying more after NJP. Has anyone been using something similar? Feels like if the timing isn't precise there's a delay in releasing Bomb like @RM Ree was saying. Luckily they respect it a lot outside of armor'ing, which opens up other options like B1 and throws and such.

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
So I've probably played 500 game with this guy since his release and want to main him. The more I play, the more I realize his holes in the neutral game. People are just not respecting any options, because they're all highs, and most of my opponents will stuff the F43 with a neutral duck and punish. What is everyone else doing?

I was thinking about using his b3 and b3d4u3 a little more, as this seems like his best option. Also, I found F4 xx MB Iceball works sometimes, but I'd like more meters options. Maybe I should do more cross overs/ Jump ins? Let me know what you've found.

With all of that said, the character is sick and so much fun to play. I found a 1 bar 50% combo in the corner and some pretty cool tech with his b2 cancels.

beep_ima_sheep

RIP Smoke
So I've probably played 500 game with this guy since his release and want to main him. The more I play, the more I realize his holes in the neutral game. People are just not respecting any options, because they're all highs, and most of my opponents will stuff the F43 with a neutral duck and punish. What is everyone else doing?

I was thinking about using his b3 and b3d4u3 a little more, as this seems like his best option. Also, I found F4 xx MB Iceball works sometimes, but I'd like more meters options. Maybe I should do more cross overs/ Jump ins? Let me know what you've found.

With all of that said, the character is sick and so much fun to play. I found a 1 bar 50% combo in the corner and some pretty cool tech with his b2 cancels.
I pretty much exclusively use F43 mid-combo. I haven't found the risk/reward of throwing it out in neutral or as a starter to be worth it. I like keeping my space and punishing their approach (F2 is great for this). Keep em on their toes with bombs if your at a safe distance. Once you can open them up, typically with B3 or B1, his carry ability has a good chance of putting em in the corner and we all know how that goes haha.

The issue I'm running into most is if I read they're going to try to armor through after I put the bomb down in the corner, a lot of times I'll block them but they'll manage to get away scott free if its not an easily punishable move. I haven't really figured out what to do in those situations. I just saw someone post some footage of an anti-crossover set up so I'll have to give that a shot.

Last edited:

Bender

I pretty much exclusively use F43 in combos. I haven't found the risk/reward of throwing it out in neutral or as a starter to be worth it. I like keeping my space and punishing their approach (F2 is great for this). Keep em on their toes with bombs if your at a safe distance. Once you can open them up, typically with B3 or B1, his carry ability has a good chance of putting em in the corner and we all know how that goes haha.

The issue I'm running into most is if I read their going to try to armor through after I put the bomb down in the corner, a lot of times I'll block them but they'll manage to get away scott free if its not an easily punishable move. I haven't really figured out what to do in those situations. I just saw someone post some footage of an anti-crossover set up so I'll have to give that a shot.
It depends on the MU, but if you hard read a wakeup armor on your bomb setup in the corner, d3 xx MB slide will break their armor and freeze them in your bomb. I haven't tested the whole cast, but it works with a lot of characters.

If Im not in the corner, I use b3d4u3 or grab to punish safe reversals. They rarely block or tech.

Noob
Can someone please help me understand something here, What Special is everyone using to stay safe after a string? Ill assume everyone is using Ice ball which is -13, what i want to understand is why is Ice ball so negative when Smoke has his Smoke Bomb at -6 which is also a combo starter? i dont really understand this double standards for characters, i really dont, it makes no sense to me that we cannot be safe with anything after a string and many other characters can with their combo starters... I play Smoke as well and it confuses me why he gets to be safe after a mix up and we cant -.- Rant over, sorry!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Can someone please help me understand something here, What Special is everyone using to stay safe after a string? Ill assume everyone is using Ice ball which is -13, what i want to understand is why is Ice ball so negative when Smoke has his Smoke Bomb at -6 which is also a combo starter? i dont really understand this double standards for characters, i really dont, it makes no sense to me that we cannot be safe with anything after a string and many other characters can with their combo starters... I play Smoke as well and it confuses me why he gets to be safe after a mix up and we cant -.- Rant over, sorry!
Mmm... gurl, no.

Oooo child, naw.

Oh lawd have mercy.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
@SaltShaker I do this exact set up, or I'll dumb it down and do NJP, run under f2. It's a cool set up, although more often than not I opt for the corner carry. I first saw STB Retro post a video of the above set up, that's where I got it from.

Side note: Do you always mash down 1 and stance switch or is that just a nervous tick you have while recording?

Noob
Mmm... gurl, no.

Oooo child, naw.

Oh lawd have mercy.
Thats all really fun and all, but if i see your doing that everytime ill just finish the string or use teleport or bait you, that doesnt answer anything at all... im qutie aware of the gap on Smoke Bomb, but on block its still -6 ("unpunishable" by many characters standards) while Cysubs Ice ball is -13, as well i can just Burn a Meter with Smoke and catch you and be at +8 on block something Cysub doesnt even remotely have ... If i could Burn a meter and be at +8 i would be totally ok with Ice Balls Being -13 or even if Drone buff gave us better frames that would be cool 2 (on Specials)

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Thats all really fun and all, but if i see your doing that everytime ill just finish the string or use teleport or bait you, that doesnt answer anything at all... im qutie aware of the gap on Smoke Bomb, but on block its still -6 ("unpunishable" by many characters standards) while Cysubs Ice ball is -13, as well i can just Burn a Meter with Smoke and catch you and be at +8 on block something Cysub doesnt even remotely have ... If i could Burn a meter and be at +8 i would be totally ok with Ice Balls Being -13 or even if Drone buff gave us better frames that would be cool 2 (on Specials)
I gotcha, I just didn't want anyone to think the move didn't have a down side. That's the match-up, y'know? Smoke has his tools, and we have ours, all of which are trumped by armor, which is trumped by reads and so on.

Noob
I gotcha, I just didn't want anyone to think the move didn't have a down side. That's the match-up, y'know? Smoke has his tools, and we have ours, all of which are trumped by armor, which is trumped by reads and so on.
Yeah ofc, and its nice to have vid reference, specially since i might not have explained myself clearly enouth and theres always ppls intrepertation you know... What i was saying is that having either Ex Ice Ball be similar to Sub Zeroes or Our Ice Ball be a little less punishable, would be within reason. considering we have literally no special move that is safe, quite the opposite they are all extremely negative, and for a character with poor pokes and poor damage outside the corner, i dont feel like it would make this character broken...

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I made a quick vid of this midscreen setup I've been trying more after NJP. Has anyone been using something similar? Feels like if the timing isn't precise there's a delay in releasing Bomb like @RM Ree was saying. Luckily they respect it a lot outside of armor'ing, which opens up other options like B1 and throws and such.

I do that thing sometimes but your opponent can just backdash it

Bender

I'd be cool with that. More than anything, I'd like a down 4 that is similar to Sub's. CS0's down pokes are so trash, it makes me want to throw the controller sometimes.

Noob
I'd be cool with that. More than anything, I'd like a down 4 that is similar to Sub's. CS0's down pokes are so trash, it makes me want to throw the controller sometimes.
Cysub has many problems, would overlook his trash down pokes if some of the other stuff was better, but as is, his down pokes are just 1 of the many weak points on this character

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
By the way i dunno what you guys have been using for anti-air (I know some say S4 is great) but the best AA I find is his B2. Seriously just stand at jumping distance to bait an opponent and when they jump, hit the B2 and do this combo:

B2 > S4 > Iceball > DS > rc > B2 (DE) > F131 > Slide (27%)

Then sit back and enjoy the rage when a person get's hit by it multiple times

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
By the way i dunno what you guys have been using for anti-air (I know some say S4 is great) but the best AA I find is his B2. Seriously just stand at jumping distance to bait an opponent and when they jump, hit the B2 and do this combo:

B2 > S4 > Iceball > DS > rc > B2 (DE) > F131 > Slide (27%)

Then sit back and enjoy the rage when a person get's hit by it multiple times
After the first b2, you can throw a jik xx CDK in there for a little extra damage. It's also a good midscreen bomb set up if you end with run f2.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Cysub has many problems, would overlook his trash down pokes if some of the other stuff was better, but as is, his down pokes are just 1 of the many weak points on this character
I dunno why people are saying stuff like this, I'm having no problems at all using his D3. His pokes are a little weak but it doesn't matter anyway, he can keep you in check with IADK and keep you blocking with his bombs. And his mobility is so insane you should ideally not be stuck in someones face anyway.

I think CSZ is a crazy character, along with most of KP2. He feels so much like Summoner Quan in the neutral to me because of how much space he controls. He has so much presence everywhere on screen no matter where he is and this will end up in him dominating in quite a few matchups imo.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I dunno why people are saying stuff like this, I'm having no problems at all using his D3. His pokes are a little weak but it doesn't matter anyway, he can keep you in check with IADK and keep you blocking with his bombs. And his mobility is so insane you should ideally not be stuck in someones face anyway.

I think CSZ is a crazy character, along with most of KP2. He feels so much like Summoner Quan in the neutral to me because of how much space he controls. He has so much presence everywhere on screen no matter where he is and this will end up in him dominating in quite a few matchups imo.
"like Quan in the neutral"?

I find that Quan is fairly strong in the neutral whereas CSZ is fairly weak. What kind of things about CSZ make you think this? Just wondering cause maybe you a much different approach to mine with CSZ in the neutral