What's new

"Will you not listen to reason?!" Martian Manhunter discussion thread!

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Flash's Flying Uppercut could punish the teleport overhead even before the patch, however, Ares could not punish with standing 1 at all.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Wait...so you can dash forward and punish with standing 1 now? Ares has a six frame jab, right?
Walking forward and blocking the teleport therefore, pushing himself closer. Ares had a 6 frame D1 which did indeed punish, but not his 8 frame standing 1.

Flash's Flying Uppercut could punish the teleport overhead even before the patch, however, Ares could not punish with standing 1 at all.
I am not certain about Flash's uppercut but lex's corp charge ,being a 6 frame move as well, definitely couldn't punish it before the patch due to the pushback.

Espio

Kokomo
I was looking at his other hard knockdown options aside from back 1, 3 since that's gone now. I'm just gonna post the ones that I'm aware of and of course this isn't anything ground breaking, but worth looking into.

1,1,2 (regular orb)

2,2,2 (close orb)

Phase charge

MB Psionic push (not the regular version) so I might try to end combos in that more plus you get the added damage as well.

Down 3 (this is universal, but still worth mentioning).

Martian grab (regular and MB versions).

I tested I think pretty much everything, but if I missed something please let me know :).

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
I actually think his teleport isn't that good in the same way I don't think Batgirl's teleport isn't that good. Hear me out on this. Yes it's as good as you think it is at what it does, but teleports are logistic tools by nature, and as far as that goes, it's bad. It always teleports him to the same horizontal spot on screen, as well as adding an easy to react to startup animation. NRS balances out this 'easy gap closer' by nerfing MMH's overall movement, making approaching outside of teleport more difficult. Compare that teleport to the likes of Zatannas, Ares, and Shazam's. Each of these teleports are vastly superior in their purpose: screen movement. But more than that, they also allow access to other parts of the screen than the one spot MMH lands on. They can get close, runaway, crossup, and even make safer. They create a mind game out of their mixups: "where are they going to teleport", and punishing becomes much harder based on this alone. But if you play MMH, and he teleports, you can react accordingly with a MB B3 everytime.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
I actually think his teleport isn't that good in the same way I don't think Batgirl's teleport isn't that good. Hear me out on this. Yes it's as good as you think it is at what it does, but teleports are logistic tools by nature, and as far as that goes, it's bad. It always teleports him to the same horizontal spot on screen, as well as adding an easy to react to startup animation. NRS balances out this 'easy gap closer' by nerfing MMH's overall movement, making approaching outside of teleport more difficult. Compare that teleport to the likes of Zatannas, Ares, and Shazam's. Each of these teleports are vastly superior in their purpose: screen movement. But more than that, they also allow access to other parts of the screen than the one spot MMH lands on. They can get close, runaway, crossup, and even make safer. They create a mind game out of their mixups: "where are they going to teleport", and punishing becomes much harder based on this alone. But if you play MMH, and he teleports, you can react accordingly with a MB B3 everytime.
you cant MB b3 everytime as you dont always have meter or he does what reo does and dont use it raw use it after jump ins etc the hit box on it is stupid and he get full combos from it into setups, teleports ruin the game in my opinion

Colonel-Gilgamesh

you cant MB b3 everytime as you dont always have meter or he does what reo does and dont use it raw use it after jump ins etc the hit box on it is stupid and he get full combos from it into setups, teleports ruin the game in my opinion
If you hate it so much, find an answer for it. You don't like MB b3. Forward dash it then. Treat it like Doomsday's MB Venom. Complaining about it doesn't make it better if no one can do anything about it

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
If you hate it so much, find an answer for it. You don't like MB b3. Forward dash it then. Treat it like Doomsday's MB Venom. Complaining about it doesn't make it better if no one can do anything about it
dash? and if he does the normal one? oh hit full combo. And the dash isnt 100% the hitbox is so big it can still hit you sometimes and doomsdays is really low easy to react to and he cant do it in the air

Colonel-Gilgamesh

dash? and if he does the normal one? oh hit full combo. And the dash isnt 100% the hitbox is so big it can still hit you sometimes and doomsdays is really low easy to react to and he cant do it in the air
If you're looking for the answers from me, don't. I only offer suggestions. And if he starts doing the normal one raw, that means he has to take risks again, and overhead teleport is no longer braindead useable. He'll have to guess whether or not you're gonna dash and punish his overhead, or block and punish the ground teleport. And while it may be 'safe', he still sacrifices frame advantage and has to go on the defense. Try just blocking and then setting up a frame trap

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Is there a point to Phase Charge that I'm missing? Right now it just seems to be a slow, low-damage, unsafe move with no purpose.

Espio

Kokomo
Is there a point to Phase Charge that I'm missing? Right now it just seems to be a slow, low-damage, unsafe move with no purpose.

It's not supposed to be done naked.

Phase charge is like a combo ender that grants a hard knockdown into potential set ups or pressure.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Also, f12 are both labeled as mids, but they both whiff on crouching opponents. I'm sure this is known, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to read through 22 pages of discussion.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's not supposed to be done naked.

Phase charge is like a combo ender that grants a hard knockdown into potential set ups or pressure.
I figured that might be the case, but there seem to be much better option for that. Unless you MB it, Phase Assault has a higher Hit Advantage. I take it Phase Assault doesn't result in a hard knockdown?

Espio

Kokomo
I figured that might be the case, but there seem to be much better option for that. Unless you MB it, Phase Assault has a higher Hit Advantage. I take it Phase Assault doesn't result in a hard knockdown?

Neither version of Phase Assault grants a hard knockdown. I made a list above on this page of several hard knockdowns he has in strings and specials, there might be some I'm missing, but I do think I got most if not all.

Also, f12 are both labeled as mids, but they both whiff on crouching opponents. I'm sure this is known, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to read through 22 pages of discussion.

Well I honestly wouldn't use forward 1,2 outside of combos as it has notable gaps in it plus not actually being mid or even having worthwhile range. 2,2 and other strings are safer and have better range with trait activated too. I honestly only use it mid combo.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It looks as though you can follow up every Psionic Push with a far Psyche Orb and Telekinetic Strike for an almost guaranteed 4% chip or 13% combo if they connect.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Has anyone tested any real use of/ used f2,u1xx overhead tele? I try it every now and then and it has 100% of the time caused the opponent to get hit by the overhead tele. They assume I would f2,d3 or thought I'd Martian Grab (due in part to conditioning) and most MMHs do strings into low grab. The opponents weren't the most versed in MMH, I'm sure, but my main thing I'm trying to figure out is utilizing f2u1 in unconventional ways. Because the f2 can't be cancelled into anything, I don't think it would work outside of gimmicks, but yeah. 100% success rate thus far.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
So there is a large lack of activity on here other than tech (which i appreciate btw) and I was wondering if people were willing to start or contribute to a guide for a character. I feel like the character needs alot more exposure due to how strong he is being called and lack of overall footage for him. I think it would be great. Anyone agree?

Espio

Kokomo
So there is a large lack of activity on here other than tech (which i appreciate btw) and I was wondering if people were willing to start or contribute to a guide for a character. I feel like the character needs alot more exposure due to how strong he is being called and lack of overall footage for him. I think it would be great. Anyone agree?

I agree. Finding footage of other Martian Manhunters is very hard so I've been mostly just playing him in a very straight forward footsie oriented way, which has worked for me, but it would be nice to know what other players are doing because some players might be doing things better with him. The main thing I've found is everyone plays him very differently that I have managed to see.

I might start recording my matches more with him too because this characters is way too fun and interesting.

I'd be willing to help out with a guide if you're making one too. I tried pushing for more discussion of his match ups a bit ago, but his forum in particular is usually very quiet.