What's new

"Will you not listen to reason?!" Martian Manhunter discussion thread!

SZSR

Noob
Back 1 from Green Lantern catches backdashes etc and Sinestro's string has awesome range, it can sometimes even check minus four moves like mace charge that have similar pushback to teleport.

I would use his eight frame low, that string you mentioned probably isn't fast enough. I dunno his frame data aside from back 1, scoop and from the deep really.

Can't you cancel it into a special or something? I know it's minus nine for Shazam, but the point is it's an option to check him and if he attempts to escape I'm pretty sure you get a full combo.
I don't know Aquaman strings, I'll go look for that.

Yeah Shazam can cancel b2 into all his specials (both grabs, both teleports, and his torpedo). Torpedo tends to catchh jump backs, but it's his b2, 3 which is the jump back eater. Sounds like a guessing game for both players. Either Martian dashes away or blocks.

Espio

Kokomo
I don't know Aquaman strings, I'll go look for that.

Yeah Shazam can cancel b2 into all his specials (both grabs, both teleports, and his torpedo). Torpedo tends to catchh jump backs, but it's his b2, 3 which is the jump back eater. Sounds like a guessing game for both players. Either Martian dashes away or blocks.
Yeah, I'm not extremely well versed in Aquaman aside from the basics so I don't wanna say what will work or not work with him for sure especially.

Risk reward seems like it could go in both directions as both can get big damage potentially in the post teleport guessing game, which is pretty cool.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Quick question Martians, when you do overhead teleport and it's blocked, can you avoid any advancing normals (e.g., f2, 3 from Superman) or must you block the follow up?
There are multiple options.
-block
-MB f3/b3
-d2
-d1
-back dash
-jump back or neutral, and throw in air dash mind games if you want
-standing 3 if your opponent jumps
-super
-Sweep/d3
Note: Your opponent can push these if read correctly.
Ex: Backdashing, d3, super, jumping, and MB f3/b3 can be neutral jumped for full punish.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Is anyone using down 1 MB close orb? I haven't used it in any serious context outside of practice mode, but it seems like it could potentially be really good.

It seems pretty obvious, but I haven't seen it used or discussed.
What's the follow up? Explain.

Orbs are fine to keep pressure or make several moves safe but hey don't do much dmg if are starters for combo. After d1 its simply better to do f2,d3, mb grab and so on - full combo for atleast 33 - 35% dmg.

Espio

Kokomo

Orbs are fine to keep pressure or make several moves safe but hey don't do much dmg if are starters for combo. After d1 its simply better to do f2,d3, mb grab and so on - full combo for atleast 33 - 35% dmg.
I mean like down one on block cancelled into MB orb instead of always doing down 1 Push or down 1 Martian grab. I don't mean doing this as a combo starter at all, I'm thinking more for getting out of pressure/pressure reversal since everything after blocked MB orb is guaranteed.

Orbs are 13 frames likes psionic push is 13 frames so I figure it's a good thing to mix in here and there.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I mean like down one on block cancelled into MB orb instead of always doing down 1 Push or down 1 Martian grab. I don't mean doing this as a combo starter at all, I'm thinking more for getting out of pressure/pressure reversal since everything after blocked MB orb is guaranteed.

Orbs are 13 frames likes psionic push is 13 frames so I figure it's a good thing to mix in here and there.
It's fine as get out option, thou i like it more as a "keep my pressure or make my offense safe" option select.

Down 1 + mb grab / pp is a common option like you wrote since risk / reward here is hugely in MMH fav and both can lead to full combo. So its really a choice between being more safe (down 1 + mb orb) or a little risk for full combo reward (down 1 + mb grab / pp).

Espio

Kokomo
Is there a list of MMH's go-to strings?
The only strings I use outside of combos are variations of 2,2,2 (cancelled into orbs, martian grab, tick throw, etc)

Back 2, 3,3,3 (cancelled into push or MB orb ender).

Back 1,3

1,1, 2

The other strings like forward 2, down 3 I use as a combo extender after landing an overhead teleport, but not really outside of combos much although you can, just remember to cancel into a safe special like push if your opponent happens to block it correctly and you're worried about being punished.

Other strings are mostly best for mid combo and you should refer to the combo thread for more information on combos that incorporate his other strings.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Like Espio wrote above, the general rule is: if you hit confirm string go with combo if its blocked just cancel it into a safe ender. Thats one of greatest strengths of MMH.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
The only strings I use outside of combos are variations of 2,2,2 (cancelled into orbs, martian grab, tick throw, etc)

Back 2, 3,3,3 (cancelled into push or MB orb ender).

Back 1,3

1,1, 2

The other strings like forward 2, down 3 I use as a combo extender after landing an overhead teleport, but not really outside of combos much although you can, just remember to cancel into a safe special like push if your opponent happens to block it correctly and you're worried about being punished.

Other strings are mostly best for mid combo and you should refer to the combo thread for more information on combos that incorporate his other strings.
i think im the only mmh that doesnt use his b2333 string can u explain its uses really quick , id usually go b2 martian grab or b2 db3d if its blocked ?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
i think im the only mmh that doesnt use his b2333 string can u explain its uses really quick , id usually go b2 martian grab or b2 db3d if its blocked ?
B2 333 is good because you can hit confirm a teleport or phase after B233, pressure with orbs after a blocked B2333 or push.

fr stack

B2 333 is good because you can hit confirm a teleport or phase after B233, pressure with orbs after a blocked B2333 or push.
i remember when he first came out and i was hittin that string maybe once in 5 tries so i was just like fuck dat :) now i barely remember its there !

fr stack

after a phase ender
df1f dash 11 df1 , b2 db3d <crosses up
df1f dash 11 df1b , b1 db3d < crosses up
these are just little tricks for if they block the first orb

Espio

Kokomo
Well it has the multiple hits, which means more chip damage especially when accompanied by a safe cancel into MB orb or push. The Martian grab after back 2 is fine, but mixing it up more is better.

You can also cancel into combo launchers like teleport and phase like Krayzie mentioned. Or if you wanna do Martian grab on the end you can do back 2,3,3,3, martian grab as the string ender too if you wanna do that.

i remember when he first came out and i was hittin that string maybe once in 5 tries so i was just like fuck dat :) now i barely remember its there !
It's very worthwhile, just need to practice. After inputting the back 2, 3,3,3 you don't rush out the special cancel, you can wait a bit then do the push or orb visually.

It's good for wasting time on Doomsday's trait as well and there are other uses, but that's a more match up specific usage.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler

I think your thinking of d2... d1 into f2d3 makes no sense.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
It's fine as get out option, thou i like it more as a "keep my pressure or make my offense safe" option select.

Down 1 + mb grab / pp is a common option like you wrote since risk / reward here is hugely in MMH fav and both can lead to full combo. So its really a choice between being more safe (down 1 + mb orb) or a little risk for full combo reward (down 1 + mb grab / pp).
How exactly does d1~pp lead to a full combo? ??

Immortal

Blind justice....
How exactly does d1~pp lead to a full combo? ??
Yea i should clarify that in my first post. It's more a of a setup. Just place "full" screen mb orb first, then after pp (can be d1 before it) he will hit orb and you can follow up with tele combo. Nothing to fancy but around 27-33%. Timing is strict thou (not possible online) but its swag looking. :) You can also follow up in this setup with mb pillar, tele ... combo its easier to do but 2 bars total.

and god forbid you even thinking about phase charge, its like -19 on block and has like 38 of recovery frames lol.

fr stack

Yea i should clarify that in my first post. It's more a of a setup. Just place "full" screen mb orb first, then after pp (can be d1 before it) he will hit orb and you can follow up with tele combo. Nothing to fancy but around 27-33%. Timing is strict thou (not possible online) but its swag looking. :) You can also follow up in this setup with mb pillar, tele ... combo its easier to do but 2 bars total.

and god forbid you even thinking about phase charge, its like -19 on block and has like 38 of recovery frames lol.
oh haha i like it , i thought u meant d1 bf2 as a link to get outta pressure , will try this in a bit

roosTakk

Chode Juggler

That is fancy lol

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I am joining the MMH army! He is pretty fun. Are there any good guides being made here?

I will still be using mainly Zod until MLG/EVO are done (hopefully he can be ready before then). But after that... the sheer potential.... There is no reason not too.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I am joining the MMH army! He is pretty fun. Are there any good guides being made here?

I will still be using mainly Zod until MLG/EVO are done (hopefully he can be ready before then). But after that... the sheer potential.... There is no reason not too.
Dat heel turn.