What's new

"Will you not listen to reason?!" Martian Manhunter discussion thread!

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Found some tech I think will be useful to MMH's mixups, let me know what you guys think:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/ending-combos-with-mb-martian-grab-db1.36365/
I agree it's good mix up, but I think it will be too much of a sacrifice in the long run. The Phase Charge ender that I made a thread about, gives you very good mix ups too, but it's much easier to end a combo with the Charge, and you also don't have to use the special move that gives him the most damaging combos (db1 MB) as an ender as you present in your tech. I think your tech will have it's use, but I think it will be too expensive (Both meter and damage vise) for it to be the go to pressure ender.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I agree it's good mix up, but I think it will be too much of a sacrifice in the long run. The Phase Charge ender that I made a thread about, gives you very good mix ups too, but it's much easier to end a combo with the Charge, and you also don't have to use the special move that gives him the most damaging combos (db1 MB) as an ender as you present in your tech. I think your tech will have it's use, but I think it will be too expensive (Both meter and damage vise) for it to be the go to pressure ender.
Thanks man, I saw the potential in Phase Charge, but by the time I was ready to post about it, you'd beaten me to the punch :p
MM grab mixups won't be as Good to have multiple set ups to cycle through, just to keep the opponent on their toes. Phase Charge set up > Orb combo ending in MB Martian Grab > Reset combo = Round over. MMH is proving to be a very scary character when he knocks you down.

dmnc011m

PSN: KomboDrop
okay, so, f123 and b2333. Weird execution, right? Also, do you guys see any use for these strings? I mean, I see the potential b2 has, of course, but I don't know about the rest I just started practicing with him like 15 minutes ago and I really don't like those strings, so far.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
okay, so, f123 and b2333. Weird execution, right? Also, do you guys see any use for these strings? I mean, I see the potential b2 has, of course, but I don't know about the rest I just started practicing with him like 15 minutes ago and I really don't like those strings, so far.
for f123 just plink the 1 and 2 (slide thumb from one to other no pause)
for b2333 just mash to all hell and you will get it lol

nymous

Noob
So........ I was wondering where you all would put MMH in terms of gameplay style. From what I gather, most characters in this game usually fall into these 3 categories: Zoners(Cyborg, Sinestro, Deathstroke), Footsies/Whiff punishing(Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern), or Rushdown(Batgirl, Doomsday, Shazam). Keep in mind that some characters can be hybrids and fit into multiple categories. Where would you all put our martian friend?

In terms of zoning, I find his only real notable attack to be MB db2 since it tracks and hits the top of the screen. It also allows us a free teleport combo if it hits. Other than that, nothing really seems worth it imo. For footsies, I believe he can excel here only if his trait is active. His trait increases the range on his normals and adds a little bit more damage to his combos, and has no start up or recovery. With trait up, his 22 and j2 have some pretty mad range to them which allows him to play footsies. However, without trait, his normals don't have too much range on them. Lastly, we have rushdown. We all know that MMH has a teleport which can help immensely against zoners (it hadn't been much help against Raven though). He has two versions: one that hits mid and is fast, but has tremendous negative frames on block; and one that hits overhead but is slower and has less recovery on block. Both are very negative on whiff, but both lead to combos on hit. MMH also has some 50/50 options up close. The two attacks I use for 50/50's are b1(low) and b2(overhead). Both can be used to start pretty damaging combos, but both are unsafe. Both also have pretty short range to them, but trait helps with this issue. As far as I know, he doesn't have any sort of vortex. He does, however, have some pressure setups with his mb df1 which should be looked into.

So, where would you all put our green, lean, machine?

dmnc011m

for f123 just plink the 1 and 2 (slide thumb from one to other no pause)
for b2333 just mash to all hell and you will get it lol
yeah, I can get them out, but is there a use for the entirety of the strings that anyone had found yet? like are they viable?

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
yeah, I can get them out, but is there a use for the entirety of the strings that anyone had found yet? like are they viable?
well f123 is good with trait on otherwise id stay away
ive just been usin b2 on its own with martian grab :)

also ive been ending combos with trait 3 df1 f , dd2f , instant uppercut ... or trying to lol it works but its hard

dmnc011m

well f123 is good with trait on otherwise id stay away
ive just been usin b2 on its own with martian grab :)

also ive been ending combos with trait 3 df1 f , dd2f , instant uppercut ... or trying to lol it works but its hard
Thanks man, that's kind of what I was thinking and I'll give that ender a try. I just wanted to be sure. Are you on xbox or ps3, by the way?

Error

DF2+R2
His pillars are unclashable. Although I can't seem to get much damage off them.

Ending combos with martian grab seem to give him some nice mix-up potential.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
as a GL player im already annoyed with MMH, everyone who uses him online just backs away full screen and looks for a hance to teleport. i do love his moves though even though his combos are hard as shit to do with online lag

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
as a GL player im already annoyed with MMH, everyone who uses him online just backs away full screen and looks for a hance to teleport. i do love his moves though even though his combos are hard as shit to do with online lag
Wait 3 weeks. Once people figure out you can easily b3 that stuff, MMHs will go in legit. Which is fine because he belongs there.

ferncaz95

Vicariously living through Dick
What air-to-air strategies do you guys use with J'onn? I'm constantly getting blown up by air attacks from characters like Batman.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Don't know if this was posted or how good it really is, but some Anti Hawkgirl tech.

End combos with b13 and no matter where you place a normal orb, if she wakes up with Mace charge she will get hit by them and you can hit confirm into a teleport for a combo. Also, you can do a close orb, then b3. The close orb itself won't hit her if it's timed right but the b3 will because b13 puts you at the perfect range to where her MC will not reach you and she will be in recovery frames. If this doesn't makes sense I can just make a quick video if someone wants me too.