What's new

General/Other - Jacqui Briggs Why isn't anyone playing Jacqui in tournaments???

Malarkey

"What's that? Something like underground?"
I've been a Jacqui main for a few months now, and I've discussed this same question with my local scene many times. After a lot a thought, I'm of the opinion that Jacqui isn't as immediately gratifying as other characters in both personality and gameplay. On the surface, she does appear to have a pretty straightforward personality, and also a straightforward gameplay style, but in my opinion that isn't the case.

The story mode did a great disservice to a lot of characters in my opinion, such as F/T, Jacqui, Reptile, Ermac, etc. They simply don't develop the character's personalities as much as they could, but I understand it's a big budget game, and they have a story to tell.

But this is where I absolutely love the way they handled intros in MKX, because that is where Jacqui really shines. She doesn't have the same outgoing showmanship of Cassie or Jahnny, but her wit and humor while maintaining some semblance of seriousness is what really made me like her. She takes after Jax in that way, with great puns/jokes, while still keeping that "This is a fight to the death, I'm still about to beat that ass" attitude.

As far as her gameplay goes, she fell into this stigma of "hurr durr, just shewt gunz and win with Jackie" that I'm sure arose out of online play and ignorance. When you get past those (beautiful) guns, she has interesting tools, damage, setups, resets, and everything else that keeps me coming back to her. She has three very different variations, and while one is well ahead of the others imo (FA) the other two can certainly hang in some match ups, and are a blast to play. True pressure into 55 meterless in the corner with High Tech? Reset into 50+ corner combos in shotgun? There's something for everyone.

I didn't mean to make this post so long, but I really do love playing Jacqui, even with a few issues she may have. I can't wait to travel more and meet other Jacqui players, and hopefully show the community why I think she is a heavily downplayed character.

stosn

Noob
In HT so many cansels that jails into s1, but most of them are very hard. She needed only good armor in HT ( may be df2 )

Yeah it's 6 frames but you're not mentioning the fact that it has shit range, it doesn't punish a lot of things. Remember to take into account all the properties of a move, not just frame data :p
She's not nearly as bad as people make her out to be. She's plus on block on practically anything so once you get in you're in. Overhead is fast and it has some good range and easy to convert into mad damage, her low mid admittedly abysmal at best and the range on the first hit needs to be fixed. Stanky leg is awesome. Full auto has projectile mixups, shotgun has vortexes. shes a good character and a pain in the ass to play against if your opponent is good
At least someone can see the positives in her

Any more buffs she'd be broke, that's they had to hotfix her up rocket as it was broke
Nah, B2 Uprocket was only a problem for Ferra/Torr (and iirc it was because of a hitbox issue) but instead of adjusting the hitbox they just nerfed the rocket. It also doesn't help that NRS gave her buffs while ignoring her core problems (lack of range, bad armor/wakeup).

I've been a Jacqui main for a few months now, and I've discussed this same question with my local scene many times. After a lot a thought, I'm of the opinion that Jacqui isn't as immediately gratifying as other characters in both personality and gameplay. On the surface, she does appear to have a pretty straightforward personality, and also a straightforward gameplay style, but in my opinion that isn't the case.

The story mode did a great disservice to a lot of characters in my opinion, such as F/T, Jacqui, Reptile, Ermac, etc. They simply don't develop the character's personalities as much as they could, but I understand it's a big budget game, and they have a story to tell.

But this is where I absolutely love the way they handled intros in MKX, because that is where Jacqui really shines. She doesn't have the same outgoing showmanship of Cassie or Jahnny, but her wit and humor while maintaining some semblance of seriousness is what really made me like her. She takes after Jax in that way, with great puns/jokes, while still keeping that "This is a fight to the death, I'm still about to beat that ass" attitude.

As far as her gameplay goes, she fell into this stigma of "hurr durr, just shewt gunz and win with Jackie" that I'm sure arose out of online play and ignorance. When you get past those (beautiful) guns, she has interesting tools, damage, setups, resets, and everything else that keeps me coming back to her. She has three very different variations, and while one is well ahead of the others imo (FA) the other two can certainly hang in some match ups, and are a blast to play. True pressure into 55 meterless in the corner with High Tech? Reset into 50+ corner combos in shotgun? There's something for everyone.

I didn't mean to make this post so long, but I really do love playing Jacqui, even with a few issues she may have. I can't wait to travel more and meet other Jacqui players, and hopefully show the community why I think she is a heavily downplayed character.
Yh I'm also Jacqui main myself. She's strangely satisfying and there's so much tech with her that people don't know of and ignorant to tbh. I think all three of her variations have potential even high tech, 60+ meterless in the corner(lvl 2 charge) now that's crazy. I always check the Jacqui thread and tbh I'm never satisfied cos there's hardly many people commenting or posting new tech, I'm probably gonna post some videos on here and youtube soon. Are you from the EU by any chance??

Last edited:
Nah, B2 Uprocket was only a problem for Ferra/Torr (and iirc it was because of a hitbox issue) but instead of adjusting the hitbox they just nerfed the rocket. It also doesn't help that NRS gave her buffs while ignoring her core problems (lack of range, bad armor/wakeup).
Yh I somewhat agree but before the hotfix ex rocket used to jail and she could get crazy amount of chip, something like that anyway.

HT has some problem bro!!

He poor range really affect her in this variation. She is reliant on stamina to get decent combos mid screen.

And Gauntlet charge is only viable after 212 in the corner.

Yh I somewhat agree but before the hotfix ex rocket used to jail and she could get crazy amount of chip, something like that anyway.
Yeah & now it's less plus with more pushback so she gets nothing anymore which is a bit much imo. Considering the amount of dirt a lot of characters have I think they could have adjusted it a little differently.

Because i don't have a US Visa :cool:[/QUOT
she's even for a weird command dash thing to extend the reach of some of her normals, feels like Harley's silly slide

Also I feel like ex up rocket jails into s1 can anyone confirm?

Also also @rev0lver
Thats only off b2 ex rocket and I think f12 ex rocket, I'm gonna have to check. Yh I heard about Revolver just now lol, heard he was at NEC. Dunno how well he did though. They did hotfix her ex rocket so it only jails the ones I've listed I think.

Yeah & now it's less plus with more pushback so she gets nothing anymore which is a bit much imo. Considering the amount of dirt a lot of characters have I think they could have adjusted it a little differently.

You still get plus frames. I still rush in after a blocked Up rocket to put on pressure. It isn't guaranteed but its something.

SOme of her strings jail such as b2 and f12 and thats it I think

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
She's maybe the worst character in the game. She doesn't have a single safe wakeup, her mix-up game is ass, she has overly complicated inputs (see my Jacqui guide for more info on this), she has low damage output, her corner combos are inconsistent, most of her pressure and specials can be low profiled. She's just a mess of a character. She's Buster Bluth:

She's maybe the worst character in the game. She doesn't have a single safe wakeup, her mix-up game is ass, she has overly complicated inputs (see my Jacqui guide for more info on this), she has low damage output, her corner combos are inconsistent, most of her pressure and specials can be low profiled. She's just a mess of a character. She's Buster Bluth:

Low damage??? She gets over 40% easy in full auto and shotgun.

My corner combos are pretty consistent ranging from 32% to 49% with out ji1/2.

Yea her wake ups suck. I tend to wake up with grab if i think there are trying to bait me out .

Over complicated input is only for stanky leg which you really don't need to use though it is useful.

BF4 can be low profile that sucks, but i use bf2 when i think they might go for that. So can SShe is not Buster Blunt.... Jason is Buster Blunt.... Well maybe HT is buster too... lol.

LOL don't piss me of saying invalid shit.
Her mixup game in shotgun definitely ain't ass.
Not everyone has a safe wakeup.
Complicated inputs maybe but just get better with your execution.
This is the funniest..... LOW DAMAGE OUTPUT okay..... she can get an easy 40% midscreen in Shotgun or full-auto.
Corner combos inconsistent .... thats your execution cos mine are pretty consistent.

She is far from being the worst character in the game.

Hold on bruh, damage is one of the things they buffed lol. She gets;
34% meter less off f1 whiff punish
38% 1 bar off B2
42% 1 bar off B33
And that's just midscreen in Full Auto

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
We're on the same page.

Nerfing her rocket because Ferra/Torr had an issue was completely unjustified. She has the worst range in the game by far, and has to stay inside once making contact and they nerf what wasn't broken. Rocket prepatch was literally inferior to options some other characters had, and still have. Not even gonna say what I think of it now.. Stupid.

She has so many not just weaknesses, but things that are way worse than other characters, but then you hear "oh but if Jacqui gets buffs she'll be broken and OP". Every time I hear that I cringe. I guess if Jacqui gets a few needed buffs she'll magically be better than Lao, QC, Shinnok, and Tanya because that's what broken and OP would mean.

Again, stupid.