What's new

Why is there so much QoL missing?

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
It drives me nuts honestly. I like the game but there is so much QoL missing it´s bothering to no end.

Why can´t we pin strings in trainingmode anymore?
Why is there no overview of all the cosmetics? Like, do chars have 3 outfits? 4? 10 pallets or 20?
Why does the shrine feel like it takes ages after you put in coins to get your stuff and be able to put more coins in? If you have 15K Koins you gonna sit there for like 10min.....
Why does the premium shop say "refresh in 24h" but it never refreshes? Same items for couple days
No Invasion Map.........good luck finding chests you didn´t open the first time you found them and good luck finding those gates you need Scorpions item for. Takes forever for no reason. And we don´t even want to talk about the constant hyperarmor every enemy has.
Why is there no good description for the moves in the moveslist. Like for the Kameos which move is an ambush for example (or am I blind and I just don´t see it?)
And one of the biggest ones for me, Why the f.... do we not earn XP when we play private matches against our friends???? If we want to "boost" we can just repeat the same stupid invasion mission over and over.....
Online Training mode still missing......why NRS.....just why....

It feels like the game was rushed in the end to be able to get released

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
This does suck

Why is there no overview of all the cosmetics? Like, do chars have 3 outfits? 4? 10 pallets or 20?
It dose? If you go into cosmetics or into the seasonal store, you see exactly what they have. Also, if you click on them, you again see that info.

Why does the shrine feel like it takes ages after you put in coins to get your stuff and be able to put more coins in? If you have 15K Koins you gonna sit there for like 10min.....
They have to communicate with the server each time. Not a lot can be done about that. Though maybe a option to dump all in one go would be nice!

Why does the premium shop say "refresh in 24h" but it never refreshes? Same items for couple days
The game has not been out for 24 hours yet. You probably have been playing from the early release. My guess it will change shortly.

No Invasion Map.........good luck finding chests you didn´t open the first time you found them and good luck finding those gates you need Scorpions item for. Takes forever for no reason. And we don´t even want to talk about the constant hyperarmor every enemy has.
There are massive green lines pointing the way to go. How can anyone get lost. A map is not needed in anyway. As for the armour. Use block and stuff. It is actually trying to teach you how to punish. Also make sure you do not have a relic required that makes you cause zero damage to armour.

Why is there no good description for the moves in the moveslist. Like for the Kameos which move is an ambush for example (or am I blind and I just don´t see it?)
you are blind it is there. Try turning on advanced options

And one of the biggest ones for me, Why the f.... do we not earn XP when we play private matches against our friends????If we want to "boost" we can just repeat the same stupid invasion mission over and over.....
You said it yourself. It is to stop boosting.

This is one i agree with. We should be able to sit in training mode while in King of the Hill and Kombat League Ques.

It drives me nuts honestly. I like the game but there is so much QoL missing it´s bothering to no end.

And one of the biggest ones for me, Why the f.... do we not earn XP when we play private matches against our friends???? If we want to "boost" we can just repeat the same stupid invasion mission over and over.....

It feels like the game was rushed in the end to be able to get released
because the game was obviously rushed out under release pressure. i am extremely glad though that they got right what matters, thats the gameplay. and even though i hate the"unfinished release" culture nowadays, the rest will follow.

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Agree with everything here. Also the lack of modes online. No rooms? No survivor? I think you have to customise your character and stick with that, you can't have several skins you like and choose them at the select a fighter screen (I believe). Not being able to pin moves in training is annoying. Things like being able to change kameo from practice mode like you could variations in MKX would be good. Also I got disconnected from single player towers because my internetost commection... why do I need internet to play single player modes. Long black loading screens. Players disconnecting. No crossplay.

Enjoying the game, but it does feel ratherunfinished/rough around the edges

Last edited:

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Inzzane_79 said:
And one of the biggest ones for me, Why the f.... do we not earn XP when we play private matches against our friends????If we want to "boost" we can just repeat the same stupid invasion mission over and over.....
You said it yourself. It is to stop boosting.

But we can Boost already in Invasions.......and I don´t see anything wrong with boosting char xp that gives you no advantage, you just unlock stuff like cosmetics. Maybe I´m wrong but didn´t we get xp and hearts and stuff in MK11 when playing friends in private lobbies?

And there is no overview of the cosmetics, I got several cosmetics out the shrine that you would have not seen anywhere. The seasonal shop sure, you can check what seasonal cosmetics chars have but not the normal ones that are in the shrine. In MK 11 for example we could already see how many outfits the chars had and what colors, it´s a step backwards with MK1 in that regard imo. Not the end of the world of course just what it is, missing QoL.

The armor in invasions is just dumb, I had no problem working around it (put all points in attack and just d2 them.....works till the end lol)

Don´t get me wrong, I am in no way trying to talk bad about the game or NRS, the game so far is amazing. Just the little things we already had in previous games that are missing now are bothering me.

The game literally just released. And some minor quality of life shortcomings are driving you nuts?

Give them a break. NRS games always release with practically bug-free, especially compared with other AAA releases. And MK1 is no exception.

Listen, I agree with some criticisms here. The shrine takes forever, the customization options could be better. But the game is fucking great. I can wait for future patches.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I AM glad that the thing that matters the most they absolutely nailed. Which is of course the gameplay. The gameplay feels so damn good, and I’m really glad there was a stress test and beta that allowed them to get feedback to buff the movement and also add dash blocking. That made this game feel amazing. And there’s a ton of depth, every character feels complete, and there’s a bunch of options with the different Kameos.

That said, I definitely agree about the severe lack of QoL options overall. But some of those things are more than likely going to be added relatively soon, especially things like sticking a string on your screen in training mode like they’ve had in the past titles.

But, Idk why this game outside of the gameplay feels rushed. Even the last leg of the story mode feels rushed. But they had so much time with this game, at least compared to the previous titles. You’d expect the game to feel polished not rushed. I can only imagine that the reason is based on working on a new engine and also on next/new gen consoles. Because iirc, they didn’t work on the Switch and PC versions right? Only on the Xbox and PS5 versions? And the Switch and PC versions were worked on by other devs? Anyway, yeah, my best guess is just unfamiliarity with the new engine (what is it, Unreal 4 or something?), and wanting to get the gameplay as good as they could and a lot of time going into the story mode.

The good news is that all of these QoL issues can seemingly be fixed or added afaik. But idk if they can be hotfixed or if they’ll require an actual patch/update.

my best guess is just unfamiliarity with the new engine (what is it, Unreal 4 or something?)
Yeah, I think it's Unreal 4. They had to start anew because they've been working with a heavily modified version of Unreal 3 since MKX.

I think is a number of factors: the new engine, the AT&T acquisition of Warner, Discovery's merger with Warner and Covid. If I'm not mistaken, Ed Boon mentioned Covid as the main reason why development was difficult.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
we should also be matched by character ranks. it so annoying to try a 3 hr character against people sweating their mains.
THIS.

But not sure how can that be actually managed when you are supposed to pick a fighter AFTER you accept the online match.
You can always end up fighting someone who is just mastering one character over and over.

But that's very much true. I'd love to play with entire cast and try out everyone with other human beings. And I'm a "dad-gamer" and my friends and wife are not much into the figthing games, so therefore I log onlin and end up losing most of the fights.

Even if I try out some combos with AI - it's not the same and you all know it.

So to conclude yea - it's an issue but not sure how they should actually solve it.

THIS.

But not sure how can that be actually managed when you are supposed to pick a fighter AFTER you accept the online match.
You can always end up fighting someone who is just mastering one character over and over.

But that's very much true. I'd love to play with entire cast and try out everyone with other human beings. And I'm a "dad-gamer" and my friends and wife are not much into the figthing games, so therefore I log onlin and end up losing most of the fights.

So to conclude yea - it's an issue but not sure how they should actually solve it.
i can add you if youre on xbox and preferaby european (for connection reasons).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
THIS.

Yup this is something I said I wanted for this game months ago. Really wish they’d adopt the SF6 ranking system where you pick the character before you match with someone and you have a different ranking based on your character. That way you can actually try different characters against other people who are most likely just now trying out the character as well. SF6 ranking system should be the standard for FG’s imo.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
The game literally just released. And some minor quality of life shortcomings are driving you nuts?

Give them a break. NRS games always release with practically bug-free, especially compared with other AAA releases. And MK1 is no exception.

Listen, I agree with some criticisms here. The shrine takes forever, the customization options could be better. But the game is fucking great. I can wait for future patches.
You did not seriously just call this game bug free lol.

It's the buggiest NRS game at launch for sure.

The core gameplay is great, but let's not deceive ourselves by saying things that are factually not true.

Rizz091

Noob
I could not agree more. The game plays very well, but playing this game online after playing sf6 makes it seem very inferior.

No separate character ranks. STILL no training mode match making. I'm sick of staring at the main menu. No ability to decline WiFi and then I need to do a ft3 in a laggy environment?

And as a Johnny player, I can't give myself full star power in training mode to practice hype combos. Very painful.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Yeah, I think it's Unreal 4. They had to start anew because they've been working with a heavily modified version of Unreal 3 since MKX.

I think is a number of factors: the new engine, the AT&T acquisition of Warner, Discovery's merger with Warner and Covid. If I'm not mistaken, Ed Boon mentioned Covid as the main reason why development was difficult.
It's not unreasonable when spending £60 for a full game to expect the full game when it launches. If they can't, they shouldn't launch it, or decrease the price. Adding it later is better than not at all, but it should be there at launch. Feels like lots is missing.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Yeah somethin

The game is not bug free stop defending bad practice

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It needed another 6 months to bake, the game is extremely barebones.

• missing basic QOL features OP mentions
  • invasions is the worst bonus mode they’ve released by a country mile
-no krypt for the first time in well over a decade
  • every 5 or so sets on ranked the game just fucks itself and you get a black screen upon rematch.
  • that’ll be $70 sir, hope you preordered for your on disc DLC like PS3 era Capcom
Game is a blast though and I’m enjoying actually playing it, but hopefully they can patch this game faster than they can get a Kombat Kast.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It definitely needed another 6 months.
But to be honest i don’t think I could have waited any longer.

as long as they slowly patch things in I’m fine.
It’s a shame, and I’m not one to really defend NRS because they fuck up all the time lol, but in this instance I at least understand there were a lot of factors in play for it end up like this, outside of usual incompetence.

thank the fire god they nailed the gameplay.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As most have said, they nailed the gameplay. So much so that if the gameplay wasn't as good as it is, the lack of "game" received would be a major issue. In modern gaming there are just some things to me that are unacceptable, especially considering how much extra time the build had.

-No online training mode - it's 2023, come on
-No individual character ranking - this is self explanatory and my biggest gripe for ranked
-Non-existent lobby system - Seriously? Where is the lobby to view players stats/characters and ask/run sets
-Weak training mode - another self explanatory
-Weak netcode - not sure if it's all the wifi warriors you're forced to fight in KL, or an overall regression, or both, but after playing games like KOF15 and SF6 nonstop, this netcode feels like a massive step down
-Lots of other stuff

Those are the main ones that bother me, and I'm not sure why it's even the case. But again, fortunately the game is godlike so I'm able to push through, for now, but hopefully some of this gets addressed in future patches.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
-No individual character ranking - this is self explanatory and my biggest gripe for ranked
Yeah I’ve been playing Kombat League to get that stupid Sub-Zero mask that looks exactly like all the others cause what else am I gonna do, but I can’t switch to someone else if I don’t want to risk “wasting” time playing KL since the people you play also have an established main at that point.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Yeah I’ve been playing Kombat League to get that stupid Sub-Zero mask that looks exactly like all the others cause what else am I gonna do, but I can’t switch to someone else if I don’t want to risk “wasting” time playing KL since the people you play also have an established main at that point.
Individual rankings is definitely better. As much work as it takes to make a new game, there is still likely a ton of trusted, reused stuff. Individual rankings would likely require touching quite a number of things from updating users profiles, to most matchmaking aspects - which are probably really involved and a lot weirder than most people would assume.

My gut says it's likely viewed as a somewhat high risk for the low reward item they have likely discussed, but probably figured won't do much for them other than stop a few people from making "I wish we had individual character ranks" comments. It's an easy one to say "people will get over it" on. Just not good ROI when there is probably a million other things to do trying to get a game out the door.