What's new

Why is counterpicking looked down upon?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The problem with counterpicking is that it only promotes you to ever play gameplan 1.
Whereas if you don't you're forced to learn further.

This is why traditionally character loyalists look stronger than counterpickers with whatever character they play.
So while it helps counter 1 playstyle, it doesnt help strengthen fundamentals for that character because you're not eliminating the weaknesses and only playing by the strengths.

At least thats how I see it, and thats not true of everyone either.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
so who fault is it for playing the 7-3 match up??? 7-3 will make it a little easier to deal with for who ever favor the mu is in. but that does not mean it takes less skill. you still have to play on point.
Pfhhhhh. lol Kid wakeup. That comment has more holes in it that Swiss cheese lol.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
The problem with counterpicking is that it only promotes you to ever play gameplan 1.

This is why traditionally character loyalists look stronger than counterpickers with whatever character they play.
So while it helps counter 1 playstyle, it doesnt help strengthen fundamentals for that character because you're not eliminating the weaknesses and only playing by the strengths.

yes, to a degree.

WATCHD0G

Noob

I agree with this...I have no real judgement against counter pickers but i think this should be considered.
yes you would be good for that matchup (in that moment) but then you really don't become stronger in the long run, while the person you are countering is learning more when they stick to the main.

P.S = This goes for players who only use the base level tools that the counter has and don't really learn the character fully....for players like DJT and King, well that's a different story.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I get it if your playing for fun and someone just gets salty about loosing but in a real tournament setting why would not give yourself the best possible chance to win.

You can call me whatever you want but I'd still have $10,000 while your asking ppl for gas money home
Tournament is a whole different animal. In a tournament, you must use the cheapest-most broken-overpowered-projectile-heavy-most-plus-on block character the game offers. Tournaments are nothing more than a room full of tier-whore hyenas.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
If your are a character loyalist you should work on your bad match ups more so when the time comes and your counter picked your ready and know how to make the best out of the situation

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
P.S = This goes for players who only use the base level tools that the counter has and don't really learn the character fully....for players like DJT and King, well that's a different story.
No I think it can apply to them as well, they'd have no reason to play tempest lao against a grand master Sub Zero like Madzin because they play Tremor and Predator.

I got rekt by Madzin because I used to beat him and he learned how to stop what I was doing, and therefore was forced to add layers to the gameplan in that specific match. Now I have a particular style that suits tempest better against GM that probably would have been thought of at gameplan 1 level.

Most of the time when players counterpick, they probably wouldnt be playing game plan 1 to its maximum anyway. (now this is the statement that doesnt apply to DJT and FK)

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Counterpicking is fine because people want to win in a competitive game and certain characters have advantages over other characters thems the breaks.

If yall don't like it either play a character that can't be counterpicked(lao, predator) or just learn yall bad matchups like I had to do for years with T.hawk in sf4.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Tournament is a whole different animal. In a tournament, you must use the cheapest-most broken-overpowered-projectile-heavy-most-plus-on block character the game offers. Tournaments are nothing more than a room full of tier-whore hyenas.
All is fair in love & war

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
id never complain if somebody switches after i beat them but in my head im all like "so thats how it is"
I choose to play the same char that's on me

XxDark_

Noob
How did you miss my point completely? That was an example - they both started with their "MAINS" which was a 5-5 match up only after getting outplayed did he change his character. No excuses were used Player A just sticks with it player B acts like a B
I get your point... but its not valid. correct me if im wrong. with that scenario are you implying that switching characters was a b*tch move?

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Sometimes gameplan 1 is the only one necessary if you switching character to play towards your strengths IMO. A player being comfortable playing to his strengths rather than further knowledge of an MU can come more in handy.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I'm sorry but to all those players who specifically main top tier characters for their advantageous qualities will always have to live with the reality that they will never receive legit respect as a player. They will forever have to constantly defend their gameplay/skill level because of the OP character they have chosen to main. So they will always have to use comments like "oh just level up bruh", "learn the matchup", "go to lab", "stop crying" to defend their hollow winners image. They will never be able to have their cake and eat it too. You can't bring a gun to a knife fight, kill everyone and expect people to say "dang, u gots skillz bruh" lol

XxDark_

Noob
I'm sorry but to all those players who specifically main top tier characters for their advantageous qualities will always have to live with the reality that they will never receive legit respect as a player. They will forever have to constantly defend their gameplay/skill level because of the OP character they have chosen to main. So they will always have to use comments like "oh just level up bruh", "learn the matchup", "go to lab", "stop crying" to defend their hollow winners image. They will never be able to have their cake and eat it too. You can't bring a gun to knife fight, kill everyone and expect people to say "dang, u gots skillz bruh" lol
don't bring a knife to a gun fight...problem solved.

WATCHD0G

Noob
No I think it can apply to them as well, they'd have no reason to play tempest lao against a grand master Sub Zero like Madzin because they play Tremor and Predator.

I got rekt by Madzin because I used to beat him and he learned how to stop what I was doing, and therefore was forced to add layers to the gameplan in that specific match. Now I have a particular style that suits tempest better against GM that probably would have been thought of at gameplan 1 level.

Most of the time when players counterpick, they probably wouldnt be playing game plan 1 to its maximum anyway. (now this is the statement that doesnt apply to DJT and FK)
Well said

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Sometimes gameplan 1 is the only one necessary if you switching character to play towards your strengths IMO. A player being comfortable playing to his strengths rather than further knowledge of an MU can come more in handy.
Which brings me back round to the loyalist point, I'm the bane of the sub zero community, bar madzin, because of how much we've played.
Any other sub zero would expect game plan 1, but get gameplan 2 for example.