What's new

Why is counterpicking looked down upon?

Tweedy

Noob
"Patched frequently" lol
What is your definition of frequently for video game patches? The game has been out since April and has been patched several times. In comparison to other games, isn't that "frequently"?

But my point was that the game does get patched, so if NRS doesn't want something in the game, it can be taken out. Because of this, everything that is in the game, is currently supposed to be in it.

I used to play UFC Undisputed 3. The people who made that game didn't have the money/resources to patch that game, so all of the game-breaking problems that were comparable to infinites in 2D fighting games, could not be taken out. If you abused those tactics, you were viewed as a cheap player. On a game where the developers patch the game and are able to make sure that things are removed or added, you can't really complain. If you don't like how they make their game, there are other games out there.

So whether you believe the game has been patched enough since release, it has still been proven that NRS can adjust the game, since it's been patched several times in less than a year.

XxDark_

Noob
I love when somebody counter-picks me and I still beat them. I honestly don't care if somebody counter-picks though...play to win, right?
thank you....you win because you out played your opponent. and playing to win is the ultimate goal.....im not about to change my play style, character choice or game plan just because someone doesn't agree...fuck them, im not playing for anyone's approval.

XxDark_

Noob
Because it takes less skill to win a 7-3 than a 5-5 . And after loosing to someone who isn't necessarily better than you because of a bad match it's easy to get frustrated.
so who fault is it for playing the 7-3 match up??? 7-3 will make it a little easier to deal with for who ever favor the mu is in. but that does not mean it takes less skill. you still have to play on point.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
so who fault is it for playing the 7-3 match up??? 7-3 will make it a little easier to deal with for who ever favor the mu is in. but that does not mean it takes less skill. you still have to play on point.
I suppose there are exceptions though. Imposter against any variation of Ferra/Torr steals a 19% command grab. I can steal it and use it and the only way F/T can avoid that is to break. I could confirm a 20% mimicry combo and in the end I would have done 39% damage. That to me is a 7-3 where if F/T is your only character, you'll get rocked regardless of whether or not you play on point.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
thank you....you win because you out played your opponent. and playing to win is the ultimate goal.....im not about to change my play style, character choice or game plan just because someone doesn't agree...fuck them, im not playing for anyone's approval.
I think your getting a little confused here mate. There is something called sportsmanship. Ill break it down:-

So lets say we have 2 players who's "Mains" are 5-5 match up for each other - they are playing a FT10
Call them Player A and Player B
player A is winning 5-3 so far in the FT10 - its a fair match and player B is just getting outplayed so instead of taking the loss like a man. He decides that he is accumulating too much salt to bare and his mates are watching so he decides instead of playing the whole set out he would rather change the odds ridiculously in his favour by picking a character that is well known to beat player A's character call it 7-3 match up.

Now this is the important bit - unless player B is a retard there should be no way of him losing a 7-3 match up in his favour. But player A has no counter picks to player B's new character selection - being a character loyalist he has only learnt how to play his character at a high level and no one else. At this point it is a guaranteed loss for player A. Kinda like bringing a rifle to a knife fight.
Now if there is money involved you best believe player A is gonna wait outside the venue for player B and do some educating.

XxDark_

Noob
I suppose there are exceptions though. Imposter against any variation of Ferra/Torr steals a 19% command grab. I can steal it and use it and the only way F/T can avoid that is to break. I could confirm a 20% mimicry combo and in the end I would have done 39% damage. That to me is a 7-3 where if F/T is your only character, you'll get rocked regardless of whether or not you play on point.
damn I never seen this mu played but it sounds fucked for ferra/torr. you are right on that one.. they will get rocked( unless they are some type of God) but the problem comes in once they bring out the excuses after the results. yea it was a bad match up. but you knew that before you played but you decided to do it anyways so there is nothing to be said once you lose.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
What is your definition of frequently for video game patches? The game has been out since April and has been patched several times. In comparison to other games, isn't that "frequently"?

But my point was that the game does get patched, so if NRS doesn't want something in the game, it can be taken out. Because of this, everything that is in the game, is currently supposed to be in it.

I used to play UFC Undisputed 3. The people who made that game didn't have the money/resources to patch that game, so all of the game-breaking problems that were comparable to infinites in 2D fighting games, could not be taken out. If you abused those tactics, you were viewed as a cheap player. On a game where the developers patch the game and are able to make sure that things are removed or added, you can't really complain. If you don't like how they make their game, there are other games out there.

So whether you believe the game has been patched enough since release, it has still been proven that NRS can adjust the game, since it's been patched several times in less than a year.
Fair enough. I just feel the games only patched when there is a brand new and important scorpion skin. I'd much rather this game get fully balanced out and have the netcode fixed wayyyy before a KP2. It just COULD be more frequent I feel. But I could be wrong, I haven't been playing these games for long.

XxDark_

Noob
I think your getting a little confused here mate. There is something called sportsmanship. Ill break it down:-

So lets say we have 2 players who's "Mains" are 5-5 match up for each other - they are playing a FT10
Call them Player A and Player B
player A is winning 5-3 so far in the FT10 - its a fair match and player B is just getting outplayed so instead of taking the loss like a man. He decides that he is accumulating too much salt to bare and his mates are watching so he decides instead of playing the whole set out he would rather change the odds ridiculously in his favour by picking a character that is well known to beat player A's character call it 7-3 match up.

Now this is the important bit - unless player B is a retard there should be no way of him losing a 7-3 match up in his favour. But player A has no counter picks to player B's new character selection - being a character loyalist he has only learnt how to play his character at a high level and no one else. At this point it is a guaranteed loss for player A. Kinda like bringing a rifle to a knife fight.
Now if there is money involved you best believe player A is gonna wait outside the venue for player B and do some educating.
so who fault is it that he only learned that one character!?!?... once again...this is an excuse that isn't valid.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
so who fault is it that he only learned that one character!?!?... once again...this is an excuse that isn't valid.
How did you miss my point completely? That was an example - they both started with their "MAINS" which was a 5-5 match up only after getting outplayed did he change his character. No excuses were used Player A just sticks with it player B acts like a B

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I think this mentality is a total cop out. If you don't want to play a 7-3 match, switch variations, or switch characters. It doesn't excuse your loss that they counter picked you. No one is tied to a "main". You can pick whoever you want.
But I shouldn't have too. Unless it's a competitive competition, play the fair matchup. Unless, like I said, it's your main. I'm just trying to have fun. I don't wanna be forced to swap just cause you want an easier win.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
But I shouldn't have too. Unless it's a competitive competition, play the fair matchup. Unless, like I said, it's your main. I'm just trying to have fun. I don't wanna be forced to swap just cause you want an easier win.
Sounds like your friend is trying to compete. Guess you gotta set some ground rules.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Another good example is like week one Imposter vs Jax. Shinnok was horrible back then but there's no way this wasn't 8-2 for Shinnok.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Counterpicking can be seen as a cowards way out if say you play someone who is using a mid-tier character like Scorpion or Mileena and they constantly beat you, then they decide to run to someone like Jacqui, Erron Black, Shinnok, Kitana, Tanaya, Quan Chi or Kung Lao out of frustration. I use 6-7 characters interchangeably because of fun reasons. My characters are Scorpion, Mileena, Jason, Predator, Sub-Zero, Reptile. When I'm about to play someone and they wait for me to pick at the character select screen, that usually tells me they are counterpicking scrubs. The moment I hide my cursor and they choose either Erron Black, Jacqui, Kung Lao or Kitana I instantly know they are going to play a projectile-spamming defensive game. I usually give them two matches to prove themselves of not being cheap before I decline and look for a more confident and worthy player who is not so fragile ego-wise over losing a match online looking to always have a 7-3 matchup.

TamedLizard

Buff George
I don't mind people who counterpick. I do it.

I can hold my own with my Rep against a GM, but seeings how I have D'Vorah pocketed, why the hell would I not counterpick?

It'll save me some headache. Besides, isn't that kinda the entire point of having pocket characters? Covering the gaps in which your main doesn't excel.

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Counterpicking can be seen as a cowards way out if say you play someone who is using a mid-tier character like Scorpion or Mileena and they constantly beat you, then you decide to run to someone like Jacqui, Erron Black, Shinnok, Kitana, Tanaya, Quan Chi or Kung Lao out of frustration. I use 6-7 characters interchangeably because of fun reasons. My characters are Scorpion, Mileena, Jason, Predator, Sub-Zero, Reptile. When I'm about to play someone and they wait for me to pick at the character select screen, that usually tells me they are counterpicking scrubs. The moment I hide my cursor and they choose either Erron Black, Jacqui, Kung Lao or Kitana I instantly know they are going to play a projectile-spamming defensive game. I usually give them two matches to prove themselves of not being cheap before I decline and look for a more confident and worthy player who is not so fragile ego-wise over losing a match online.