What's new

Why did NRS think ranking down your progress for 48 hours of inactivity was a good Idea?

S+ Main

Noob
They already do this with the KL challenges. At least for the first 10 days. On top of that, they have the daily time crystal reward for playing 5 matches. It's not an incredible reward, but it's more than nothing at all.
yeah its good that they give exclusive skins and crystals but most people don't care about that they just want to get the high ranks.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
yeah its good that they give exclusive skins and crystals but most people don't care about that they just want to get the high ranks.
I get that go a degree, but at the same time, the overwhelming consensus at launch was "give us ways to earn skins and gear" and that's what they're doing with KL now.

Parasurama

Dragon
I honestly have to agree.

I'm in the Army and have to go to drill weekends. It sucks that when I come back, I've lost 100+ points just because I had to go to work.

I completely understand why NRS has done this.

They don't want someone to get a high leaderboard rank early in the ranking process and then just camp on their rank. It doesn't give the best indication of who is truly the best at any given point on the leaderboards when someone is just sitting on their easier to get ELO ranking from a month ago.

That said, 48 hours is literally NO TIME AT ALL. It's crazy how I felt I had to rush home on Monday and play a match so I wouldn't continue losing points.
That means no weekends away from playing lol. 3 days would have been better.

S+ Main

Noob
I get that go a degree, but at the same time, the overwhelming consensus at launch was "give us ways to earn skins and gear" and that's what they're doing with KL now.
im talking about fixing a new issue with the points going down because NRS want players to play, the rewards people are given was not the point I was originally saying. I was talking about a good and effective way NRS can keep people playing KL.

Parasurama

Dragon
im talking about fixing a new issue with the points going down because NRS want players to play, the rewards people are given was not the point I was originally saying. I was talking about a good and effective way NRS can keep people playing KL.
People will play if they like it and rewards.
Punishment is not all that.... But good reasons were given for keeping the rank.... But 2 days is too short.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
They don't want someone to get a high leaderboard rank early in the ranking process and then just camp on their rank. It doesn't give the best indication of who is truly the best at any given point on the leaderboards when someone is just sitting on their easier to get ELO ranking from a month ago.
You can't get high early, we all start low and need people at higher levels to level up faster. This ranking system already rewards time invested just as much, if not more, than actual skill. Honestly this "points decay" thing is just icing on the cake.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
So would you be satisfied with it if it actually pitted you against good players and severely punish you for losing?

I get the frustration, but no one robbed you of anything, you get to keep the highest level you got to..... the rank is just to determine "where' you play in the "current" time you're playing.

It even says at the bottom on the details "You'll be give an icon and banner of the highest rank you achieve" blah blah.....

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You can't get high early, we all start low and need people at higher levels to level up faster. This ranking system already rewards time invested just as much, if not more, than actual skill. Honestly this "points decay" thing is just icing on the cake.
I agree with that. If you play enough and grind all day, anyone can get up to Demi and God rank.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
So would you be satisfied with it if it actually pitted you against good players and severely punish you for losing?

I get the frustration, but no one robbed you of anything, you get to keep the highest level you got to..... the rank is just to determine "where' you play in the "current" time you're playing.

It even says at the bottom on the details "You'll be give an icon and banner of the highest rank you achieve" blah blah.....
Mid season I had a big exam coming up and couldn't play for a week or so, I came back a rank and a half behind. Does that make sense to you?

I wasted an evening to get my rank back and the people I played were clearly less experienced than me, and I robbed them of their points for no real fault of their own. KL rewards points at random, so it's not as big of a deal as it could have been, but nobody had a good time that evening. That I can assure you.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
I agree with that. If you play enough and grind all day, anyone can get up to Demi and God rank.
You are confusing the design of a tournament with the design of a season / league.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Mid season I had a big exam coming up and couldn't play for a week or so, I came back a rank and a half behind. Does that make sense to you?

I wasted an evening to get my rank back and the people I played were clearly less experienced than I, and I robbed them of their points for no real fault of their own. KL rewards points at random, so it's not as big of a deal as it could have been, but nobody had a good time that evening. That I can assure you.
I never said it was good..... not one time.

But I also know if they changed it to truly use rank...... truly punish you for losing streaks........ and heavily reward for winning streaks...... people would still complain in the same manner.

Especially if they tied skins to each rank.

I also was simply pointing out that the OP didn't actually read anything and just assumed he knew what was happening.

I still think the separation of skill is horrible... and this current systems allows you to fail to the top.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
And just like that it fizzles out smh no one keeps their emblem on the kombat kard (which woulda been cooler than the kombat kard) fuck NrS

Last edited:
I think for a competitive ladder decay is necessary. It sounds like it's just too rapid currently. Instead of 2 days perhaps a week or two would be better. Especially this early in a games life, if you stop playing and others don't you're going to be worse than them thus it stands to reason they should be a higher rank than you. It's 2019 almost all online games are patched and rebalanced throughout their lifetime. If you take a break or stop following the changes you're going to be behind, simple as that.

Again with all of that said 2 days is pretty extreme. The concept is fine in general but the duration before decay could use a rework.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
overwatch was filled with smurfs and decay only happens after a week and not by that much, not 100 points like in mk11

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
You have to look at season length too though in relation to the decay and in comparison to other games. Season of Blood was less than a month long. If you want slower decay you'd need a longer season with longer time invested to rank up.

Last edited:
If I dont get my God rank back Then fuck this game. Im at 4226 points and have been on a losing streak. My win loss right now is 229/229
Its so frustrating having worked this hard and then coming back from a 16 hour shift to this crap
I know how you feel. Went up and down the same rank 3 times, until I just stopped after the third time.

I've had moments where I barely scraped by racking up 30 pt wins until I was one away from next rank, only to get matched up with someone with 60/25 record (obviously more skilled than me but lower rank) and lost 110 points...... wanted to smash my game.

People should play the game because they have fun playing it, not because its an obligation or a job. That's just going to generate frustration and salt.
This whole system is designed to trick players into sinking a bunch of hours in it even if they don't really enjoy it because of rank decay or to get the rewards.

I see tons of people stopping at Demi because they're tired/frustrated and just want the skins, that's not a healthy environment for the games future in my opinion.

I don't get this mentality? Goes back to the entitlement that's been shown since MK11 was announced. "I want it all, i want it now, and i don't give a shit about what plans are in place because it doesn't agree with mine".

"I got to X level and i want to keep it, even though i'm not playing". Like WTF? You get all the bits up to the highest level achieved. The only thing you get outside of that is bragging rights. You won't drop down to grunt unless you don't play for a looooong time, and even then why should you start where you left off?

I can't recall what happens in subsequent seasons, but even it goes off your current level, is it that much of a big deal that you play a few games and work you way back up?

Do people really care that much about their rank even though it's somewhat pointless seeing as the only thing you get is some pretty things?
He grinded to reach God. Why should he drop down if he takes some time off? You think NinjaKilla, Sonic etc should all drop if they don't continue to play Kombat League?

I think for a competitive ladder decay is necessary. It sounds like it's just too rapid currently. Instead of 2 days perhaps a week or two would be better. Especially this early in a games life, if you stop playing and others don't you're going to be worse than them thus it stands to reason they should be a higher rank than you. It's 2019 almost all online games are patched and rebalanced throughout their lifetime. If you take a break or stop following the changes you're going to be behind, simple as that.

Again with all of that said 2 days is pretty extreme. The concept is fine in general but the duration before decay could use a rework.
You think somebody taking a week off is going to be behind and clearly worse than what they were just 7 days ago?

Terrible idea, in my case the effect is the complete opposite: I get discouraged for losing points and don't wanna play ranked no more. NRS has always been great taking the best things from other titles, no idea why they came up with this dumb shit. There is a reason successful games don't apply this: it doesn't work.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I wouldn't worry about it. You were going to lose whatever rank you were anyway when season 2 starts. Then you get to do it all again if you choose.