What's new

Question Who was the MOST Overrated character to get nerfed?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Gotta go with CSZ on this one hands down.

Day 1 gameplay of stuff in line with what everyone else could already do for less execution got the character nuked, while NO ONE wanted to hear what Alien can do. Fast forward and the rest was history. If the FGC has any influence on patches with their voice that was a huge ball drop by almost all of the community.

Second goes to Erron. I believe Sonic overplayed the character to the point where he was getting more nerfs after being normalized with nothing to compensate.

Overall the game is very well balanced at this stage, but those are my two are my standouts at their time.
I think one of the main things that comes up in these games is nerfing of a Mechanic vs. nerfing of a 'Character'.

Imo there are various mechanics in the game which were somewhat silly and very justly nerfed. Occasionally this has the side effect of moving a character's overall potency down the totem pole, and it's important that the devs counterbalance this by adding improvements to the character's overall toolset. (But it's possible that this wasn't an option with CSZ due to him being only 1 variation in the general Triborg rebalancing, rather than a whole character).

In general though, a dev should never have to apologize for nerfing a mechanic that's stupid. And 1-trick-pony characters will tend to be subject to those nerfs.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I think one of the main things that comes up in these games is nerfing of a Mechanic vs. nerfing of a 'Character'.

Imo there are various mechanics in the game which were somewhat silly and very justly nerfed. Occasionally this has the side effect of moving a character's overall potency down the totem pole, and it's important that the devs counterbalance this by adding improvements to the character's overall toolset. (But it's possible that this wasn't an option with CSZ due to him being only 1 variation in the general Triborg rebalancing, rather than a whole character).

In general though, a dev should never have to apologize for nerfing a mechanic that's stupid. And 1-trick-pony characters will tend to be subject to those nerfs.
Which character are you referring to?

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Which character are you referring to?
I think in terms of characters being nerf by mechanics. He's referring to run cancel characters and characters who were picked for armor due to the recent patch changing stamina and removal of armored launchers respectively. So characters like High Tech Jacqui and Warlock Quan are some of the few that are on the nerfing end of mechanic changes

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I think in terms of characters being nerf by mechanics. He's referring to run cancel characters and characters who were picked for armor due to the recent patch changing stamina and removal of armored launchers respectively. So characters like High Tech Jacqui and Warlock Quan are some of the few that are on the nerfing end of mechanic changes
But he was responding about CSZ but I don't think he got affected by any general mechanic changes.

@SaltShaker is referring to CSZ getting nerfed in the first patch after XL was released

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I'd say Bone Shaper Shinnok was up there. All they really had to do after his first round of buffs was nerf the Dark Beam (and no it wasn't + on block as legend had it for some reason) but apparently someone told NRS that his damage, advantage on restand and being able to follow up EX shoulder with a scoop were all too unbearable.

Apart from the August 2015 patch this actually is true lol.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
High tech Jacqui was hurt by the stamina changes, but they also specifically nerfed her as a variation making df2 -1 [from +2], df2(1) less plus and adding recovery frames to df2, significantly nerfing her level2 corner damage (by like 10-15%) and her level0/level1 corner damage (by 5-10%).

As well as nerfing Jacqui overall by making b2 have less cancel advantage.

When I say high tech was nerfed, I'm not just referring to the stamina changes (which lbsh, hurt high tech more than any other variation in the game) but also specific changes to her which Paulo thought necessary for some reason.

That's what I meant when I said she was the most overrated character [I remember all the "OMG Jacqui's block jail wow secret top tier" threads that everyone just seemed to accept as fact] to be heavily nerfed in this patch.

Whatever, she's still hella fun to use and mildly viable in most matchups. Only a couple of 7-3s to deal with.

Cassie Cage got normalized a patch too soon
Cassie Cage has been viable in every single patch since launch. She has never been overrated.

Wigy

There it is...
Apparently a lot of people didn't see Dizzy mercilessly destroy Michaelangelo's Quan Chi at CB using nothing but F1,2. (Sorry Mike...)
Then everyone got fast pokes and the left fisticuffs dogshit for a year.

(B12 btw)

Thats what cage players were annoyed over.

Wigy

There it is...
As far as wg, he was like lackey and got hit with universal nerfs that werent though out.

B122 mid would have been horrid in this meta but he needed something better that b32 in return.

Lao, they should have killed his j2 and see how he was after.

He was stupid with that move prepatch. The others probably stemmed from the hatred of his j2