What's new

Question - Kenshi Who is worse than Kenshi?

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I agree with this very much, it's not even safe and nets you shit for damage. I'm kinda interested in why you think parry is good since you need to cancel it additional time in most strings and the amount of times it must be cancelled depends on when the string is initially parried and if the opponent ends the string early they get to punish you.
I really only cancel into tele-push off of f2 just in case I don't want to risk going for ex df1 (unless I've been playing Kenjutsu wrong this entire time). For lows, I always hit confirm b32 into ex db4 on reaction. I know tele-push isn't safe, but it has pretty good push back and I hardly see anyone punishing it.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I really only cancel into tele-push off of f2 just in case I don't want to risk going for ex df1 (unless I've been playing Kenjutsu wrong this entire time). For lows, I always hit confirm b32 into ex db4 on reaction. I know tele-push isn't safe, but it has pretty good push back and I hardly see anyone punishing it.
Thats a serious mistake. You would get rekt in tournaments on that alone, especially with everybody playing now Mileena. Hit confirming is obviously the basics. Push is very situation and anything beside max range is risky. Even if some character can't punish it you're giving away initiative which means pressure. In neutrual you should use mostly B1, being -1 on block with decent range is pretty good.

I agree with this very much, it's not even safe and nets you shit for damage. I'm kinda interested in why you think parry is good since you need to cancel it additional time in most strings and the amount of times it must be cancelled depends on when the string is initially parried and if the opponent ends the string early they get to punish you.
You obviously have to know oponent character strings and tendencies. You can punish many otherwise annoying pressure strings if youre on point. Obviously if you make a wrong read you most likely gonna eat a combo for your trouble but if you succesfully parry any string and punish your oponent for it they will think 10x times before using it again. The fear is real. I obviously don't recommend abusing parry or using it by beginners but it is a decent tool that Kenshi players usually don't use.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
@Immortal Yeah I know it's kind of a fear factor thing but I just find it works against me more than for me. In theory it could be very strong and I think it will be a great tool for ppl who are loyal to this character and know the matchup, I just think it's annoying having to make a read to what string they are using and when the string will start. It's won me a match at the clutch moment twice and I feel amazing when it works.

Do you recommend cancelling into push or lift for Kenjutsu? Cause as of now I cancel into lift when I'm fetching for a combo and the string isn't really fast, I cancel into push when they are near death or I'm more iffy on the string but I find this isn't all that successful and I should probably be cancelling into another parry instead but I'm worried the string will end early. Sometimes I even cancel into armor after parrying an armor breaking string or when I am really worried about fucking consecutive parries or getting caught trying to cancel into a non armored special.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
First off all people should stop creating threads like this. We have already planty of those, really no reason to make another one.

And don't get me wrong - im disappointed by NRS patching politics like most Kenshi (and not only) players but it is what it is.

Possessed and Kenjutsu are okish. Problem with that is being okish in MK X - it doesn't mean that this character is good enough. In a game where like 15-20 other characters (variations) can easily be on rotation for top 10 Kenshi has no place.

Can you win with him? Sure, like with anybody if you outplay your oponent. It just gonna be harder with Kenshi than with other, better characters / variations.

And it doesn't matter that some characters have only 1 viable variation and 2 bad ones. Coz usually that 1 is considered top tier / top 10 and that's all you really need. Almost any competitive player will take 1 good variation over 2 okish.

Balanced is bad. No point in whining about it for 100th time, if anybody wants to play Kenshi than he should forget about this variation. And no, you wont do much with this variation, you can win if somebody doesn't know the MU or if youre outplaying hard your oponent. Other than that you probably gonna get destroyed on first whiffed special.

Also most of my Kenshi mains/friends should use more parry, it's pretty great in Kenjutsu. Granted you can get destroyed on a bad read but i rarely see any Kenshi player using parry (not reflect) at all which is a mistake imo - it can stop a lot of bullshit.

Also people saying you can and should cancel any string into push (especially in Kenjutsu) to make it ok, should.... quit the game.

Anyway, Kenshi in MK X is how he is, probably not gonna change much / more if at all. So unless you love that character like me i suggest you pick up another variation / character as your main if you wanna compete and use Kenshi only for fun or certain MUs. No point it constant whining.
Preach Sensei!

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
Thats a serious mistake. You would get rekt in tournaments on that alone, especially with everybody playing now Mileena. Hit confirming is obviously the basics. Push is very situation and anything beside max range is risky. Even if some character can't punish it you're giving away initiative which means pressure. In neutrual you should use mostly B1, being -1 on block with decent range is pretty good.

Thanks for the tips. You have obviously been playing Kenshi way longer than I have. So if I want to go for the f2, should I just go for df1 or ex df1? And honestly, Kenshi is just fun for me, so that's why he's my main lol

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
They are very, very wrong about Pyro. She is baaaaad overall now.
She has mid, safe armor and 7f d1. Already better than a lot of variations. She's kind of low reward variation, but not that bad when you know how to use her tool and gimmicks differently based on matchups, just don't repeat the same stuffs all over and over again, lose and think she's bad

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
She has mid, safe armor and 7f d1. Already better than a lot of variations. She's kind of low reward variation, but not that bad when you know how to use her tool and gimmicks differently based on matchups, just don't repeat the same stuffs all over and over again, lose and think she's bad
I never said I repeat the same stuff and lose with her - I play her and don't sit around losing all day. I am saying she is an uphill battle much like Balanced Kenshi is an uphill battle (and I am not suggesting she is worse). You work harder for the win. You do not need to respect her as she is low threat.

Vanilla Kitana (all variations), MOS Ermac, Kung Jin (all), Mileena pre patch (all), Sonya (all), TG Raiden ara all easier wins IMO (I play these ones). There is a reason you don't see people playing her.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Thanks for the tips. You have obviously been playing Kenshi way longer than I have. So if I want to go for the f2, should I just go for df1 or ex df1? And honestly, Kenshi is just fun for me, so that's why he's my main lol
I feel like that's a common misconception among Kenshi players how to play the character, especially Kenjutsu.

All Kenshi players should keep in mind that althou Kenjutsu has 50/50 he IS NOT a 50/50 character.

The gameplan for Kenjutsu is pretty similar to Mileena ones. You should play neutral with B1, D1, D4, staggers and some throws for 90% of the match. You have good counter-zoning tools so you should have no problem in forcing your oponent to do so. You should save meter all the time and ONLY commit to 50/50 when you have a breaker in case they block it and punish you. Same goes for using parry. There is no other, viable way to play Kenjutsu at tournament level.

Last edited:

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Mournful has comparable damage to posessed and kenjutsu. Kitana doesn't have any solid rush down in any variation unlike kenjutsu which is pretty solid, 50/50's make up for a lack of staggers.
Wtf? Not at all. He gets no damage without meter and to get a combo you're gonna cancel off NORMALS. So not hit confirming. And the oh sword is -10

gam224

The world's least hype player
Wtf? Not at all. He gets no damage without meter and to get a combo you're gonna cancel off NORMALS. So not hit confirming. And the oh sword is -10
Sorry you don't have risk less offense. He has a low you can HIT CONFIRM and an armored overhead launcher in kenjutsu . You have a character with good anti air , decent counter zoning, decent speed and good normals / spacing techniques from mid range. You kenjutsu guys have to stop complaining he was pretty good even before the b1 buff and such. Focus on how to fix balanced

TheGangstaFace

Sorry you don't have risk less offense. He has a low you can HIT CONFIRM and an armored overhead launcher in kenjutsu . You have a character with good anti air , decent counter zoning, decent speed and good normals / spacing techniques from mid range. You kenjutsu guys have to stop complaining he was pretty good even before the b1 buff and such. Focus on how to fix balanced
If you hit confirm off the low string (you aren't confirming off a normal. You're dedicating yourself to the combo) with oh sword you get 17% ex oh sword you can't combo off of. If you do the rising sword you can't combo off of it unless you ex it which is -12. And same with db4. My point being there's no damage without meter. And every other character in this game has at least 1 safe option when it comes to their mixups. And if the armored oh launcher catches someone in the air you can't combo off it (lol). And a good anti hair? Uhh you lunge forward with the rising sword so you actually go PAST people jumping, the bf3 is 15 start up and kenshis standing 1 is 9 frames compared to most of the casts 7 and 8f standing 1. And you want to go there with buttons? Lol okay mr reo. 13f b1 (advances so it's decent). 2 is a 9f high. B2 is 27f. F2 is 18. 3 is an 11f mid THAT CAN BE LOW PROFILED AND IS PART OF AN IMPORTANT OFFENSIVE STRING. B3 is 12. F3 is 15. 4 is an 11f high. F4 is a 16f high. And I can't complain about pokes. But idk what the deal is with his uppercut being -18. And ji1 has hitbox issues

TheGangstaFace

His 3 decent buttons are b3, b1, and 2. which anything off the b1 is unsafe. There's no string off b1 (at least it's safe) and standing 2 is a high. And we all know highs don't get you that far in this game

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
His 3 decent buttons are b3, b1, and 2. which anything off the b1 is unsafe. There's no string off b1 (at least it's safe) and standing 2 is a high. And we all know highs don't get you that far in this game
b1 thing in balanced is even worse. b1~push is punishable, same with b1~rising karma. And b1~overheadslash is armor interruptible.

gam224

The world's least hype player
If you hit confirm off the low string (you aren't confirming off a normal. You're dedicating yourself to the combo) with oh sword you get 17% ex oh sword you can't combo off of. If you do the rising sword you can't combo off of it unless you ex it which is -12. And same with db4. My point being there's no damage without meter. And every other character in this game has at least 1 safe option when it comes to their mixups. And if the armored oh launcher catches someone in the air you can't combo off it (lol). And a good anti hair? Uhh you lunge forward with the rising sword so you actually go PAST people jumping, the bf3 is 15 start up and kenshis standing 1 is 9 frames compared to most of the casts 7 and 8f standing 1. And you want to go there with buttons? Lol okay mr reo. 13f b1 (advances so it's decent). 2 is a 9f high. B2 is 27f. F2 is 18. 3 is an 11f mid THAT CAN BE LOW PROFILED AND IS PART OF AN IMPORTANT OFFENSIVE STRING. B3 is 12. F3 is 15. 4 is an 11f high. F4 is a 16f high. And I can't complain about pokes. But idk what the deal is with his uppercut being -18. And ji1 has hitbox issues
OK first things first you CAN combo off rising sword. Next kenshi has a top5 down 4. He can anti air with jump 1, down 2, and down back 4 which are all great anti air options. The low is hit confirm-able so you do have one safe mix-up option. Not to mention back forward 2 is fantastic in the neutral game. You guys need to just stop complaining. Kenjutsu is good.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
She's more like a no reward character tbh. Her zoning's bad, her damage is ass and her safe armor doesnt really lead to anything because the opponent could just turtle and she wont be able to get any fire damage unless she gets like 2% off of chip from b312(and that has a gap that can be armored through). Pyro and Naginata are undoubtedly worse than Kenjutsu or Possessed. Kobu is debatable though. She still has rekka pressure you just have to cancel off of different strings, and unless they took it out she still has a gapless safe rekka string that builds (not as much) meter. The flipkick nerf also hurts her the least because you can end combos in the rekka string anyway. Shes probably higher tier wise than any of Kenshis variations.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I feel like that's a common misconception among Kenshi players how to play the character, especially Kenjutsu.

All Kenshi players should keep in mind that althou Kenjutsu has 50/50 he IS NOT a 50/50 character.

The gameplan for Kenjutsu is pretty similar to Mileena ones. You should play neutral with B1, D1, D4, staggers and some throws for 90% of the match. You have good counter-zoning tools so you should have no problem in forcing your oponent to do so. You should save meter all the time and ONLY commit to 50/50 when you have a breaker in case they block it and punish you. Same goes for using parry. There is no other, viable way to play Kenjutsu at tournament level.
His Overhead is part of his neutral, it has great range and can be mixed up with D4 Push.

If you hit confirm off the low string (you aren't confirming off a normal. You're dedicating yourself to the combo) with oh sword you get 17% ex oh sword you can't combo off of. If you do the rising sword you can't combo off of it unless you ex it which is -12.
But... If you are hitconfirming it doesn't matter if it's -100000 or +857 on block... if you hit confirm into multiple of his ex specials of B32 you get a combo, end of story.