What's new

Who is the most down played character?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Now, then, always, Jade.
After patch? Shang, people acting like the character is dead when he's still high tier.

Also not downplaying(or up-playing) but bonus award to Kabal for being the strongest character nobody talks about. He's even stronger after the patch and nobody says a word. I dub this award the Necalli award.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Downplayed? I think this topic needs to be more clarified. All matches vary between skill, whether you play online, offline, how well you can play/know the character, damage, how often you encounter the character cuz of alleged people stating buffs, and definitely counter picks in KL/ranked. Although it is no secret that certain characters are played way more often and have far more advantages than others resulting in boring matches. For example, there are many characters that I think are awesome and well balanced but I am just not very good at executing their moves. Also, if you are good at juggling and heaving hitting combos or trap characters in certain stages in the corner then you also have that edge. Plus, not to beat a dead horse but the lack of characters at launch and even now is kind of a buzzkill. Plus some seem to be hybrids of characters from Injustice 2 and MKX. So for me it is bittersweet as far as that goes. Even though some return characters like Kitana still have the same specials they still are very very different. So this topic is really hard to answer. For example, Jade plays very very different than Kitana Mournful. She actually works the pole and gives character's depth rather than just use it. Some characters just have terrible costumes or parts of their costumes are terrible. but then again, that sorta thing is subjective.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Downplayed? I think this topic needs to be more clarified. All matches vary between skill, whether you play online, offline, how well you can play/know the character, damage, how often you encounter the character cuz of alleged people stating buffs, and definitely counter picks in KL/ranked. Although it is no secret that certain characters are played way more often and have far more advantages than others resulting in boring matches. For example, there are many characters that I think are awesome and well balanced but I am just not very good at executing their moves. Also, if you are good at juggling and heaving hitting combos or trap characters in certain stages in the corner then you also have that edge. Plus, not to beat a dead horse but the lack of characters at launch and even now is kind of a buzzkill. Plus some seem to be hybrids of characters from Injustice 2 and MKX. So for me it is bittersweet as far as that goes. Even though some return characters like Kitana still have the same specials they still are very very different. So this topic is really hard to answer. For example, Jade plays very very different than Kitana Mournful. She actually works the pole and gives character's depth rather than just use it. Some characters just have terrible costumes or parts of their costumes are terrible. but then again, that sorta thing is subjective.
I don't think you understood the question.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The worst part about this is just the complaint that he can't jail into bf2 on block constantly. Literally the biggest complaint is that Johnny isn't constantly plus. Man has ridiculously good frames, zoning, damage, the works.
It takes meter to be plus. After that plus he has nothing to jail because his frames are bad. I just linked you twitter posts from pro players that say his frames are bad.

And you say ridiculous good frames.

Cage isn't the most downplayed, he's the most upplayed by people who literally didn't play a single match with him and just follow the clueless upplay train.

Cage has to be downplayed because you people put him in god tier so everyone is forced to downplay all the fake crap you put out so NRS doesn't believe this shit and nerf him into unplayable state.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I don't think you understood the question.
i probably didn't. sorry to ramble on other stuff. I'm tired and I can be moody. lol. Sometimes, I am not proud of posts I make. Regardless, I want everyone to be happy with their fav character as we are all here because we have a strong interest in the franchise and want it to succeed and thrive.

Gaxkang

Banned
I might. ;)

My experience against him is barely being to punish him after I block his stuff, when he hits he always seem to juggle and combo, and his zoning seems like the standard fast NRS zoning.
Maybe I am doing it all wrong, but I tried a variety of things.

I had heard advice to not fight him up close...but I just wanna fight... :D

Mentioning Johnny Cage should not be taken to mean letting off the characters like Sub Zero or Erron Black. But those are givens heh.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Scorpion is my post patch pick. The meltdown about losing the mid teleport was exaggerated. He still has a lot of game closing potential with F32xxEX Death Spin. He can still do what he’s done since MK9 and body people in the air with his tools. His stagger on F3 and 21 and 212 pressure didn’t change either.

I don’t think this falls under category of downplay, but I think the next community that’ll probably create some megathread trying to brainstorm how to fix their issues will be the Kitana community. The rising fan variation I believe has potential in the chip and pressure department, but it isn’t something Kitana is well known for. They are probably a meterburned fan away from being content though.

Last edited:
Jade, Cage, and Shang get my vote. To the user that compared Jade to early injustice 2 supergirl: spot on. some characters aren't designed around big damaging midscreen combos but are still very good.

As for Kabal down players, I am one. People seem to think he is this secret top tier when he is extremely mediocre. Jack of all trades but master of none. Maybe the cancel variation has hidden dirt idk I don't play that one yet. Just play Lui Kang tho. I don't get his hype.

DelilahKane

I’m not your baby.
It takes meter to be plus. After that plus he has nothing to jail because his frames are bad. I just linked you twitter posts from pro players that say his frames are bad.

Cage isn't the most downplayed, he's the most upplayed by people who literally didn't play a single match with him and just follow the clueless upplay train.

Cage has to be downplayed because you people put him in god tier so everyone is forced to downplay all the fake crap you put out so NRS doesn't believe this shit and nerf him into unplayable state.
Don't you love it when the members of this site bring up the first couple of tournaments of this games life?

"But but but Kombat slayed with Johnny Cage! There are so many Jades...look at Waz!!!"

Said pros rush to drop said characters. There is a reason why, folks.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.

Did you even look at the tweets you linked? It's literally just Rye talking about how he personally gets tilted by situations where people mash and he needs a dumb fast mid to stuff it. That's why he plays Liu, with a 9-frame mid.

Johnny has one of the easiest hit-confirmable strings in the game in f3,4,4 which is his higher-damage 14-frame combo starter, and this string is -2 on block. -2. Johnny's f4,4 is a 14-frame startup double mid string, far reaching, and -5 on on block. b3,4 is 18 frames but it's a low,low string, also easy to hit confirm into a full combo, it covers all of mid range, and it is -7 on block. Literally gets standing plus frames on a couple strings that end on highs, 1,2,3 and 3,4,u3. This of course in addition to his bf2, which jails on block against MOST of the cast, which is only -10 in itself even being a ridiculously fast projectile but can be EX'd in pressure to make him +3 on block. He is BEYOND safe and advantageous if you just play with the slightest consideration for it.

If you can't make anything happen with those frames, then I'd hate to see you pick up someone "low tier," you'd cry.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

No one cares about "but meter" dude, it comes back for FREE in this game

You also seem to be implying his plus frames "arent real plus frames" just because he cannot jail after them as if he is not still the one controlling the pace and able to frame trap still. Do you really need MKX Lao plus 27 to think its viable?

Remember what game you are playing. Only Geras and now Jade have MB plus frame specials and guess what, they dont jail either. You are lucky to have plus frames at all

I change my answer to Johnny

By far jade.

But what actually triggers me is when people say kabal and baraka have a weakness. Everyone knows they are good there is no question about that. But it is weird the community hasnt jumped at them and keeps defending them. ( I am not saying they are busted, but they are too good in all situations)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Don't you love it when the members of this site bring up the first couple of tournaments of this games life?

"But but but Kombat slayed with Johnny Cage! There are so many Jades...look at Waz!!!"

Said pros rush to drop said characters. There is a reason why, folks.
Okay, pros drop characters because they want to win money. When other pros all play Geras or Erron, yeah, any other lower-tier character that isn't A+ or S is gonna have a harder time, especially at a high level. That's why pros drop characters. They want to win, Tweedy said it himself. He picked up Geras cause he's the best and he wants to win.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Scorpion, no doubt .... he is a still annoying son of bitch to deal with in this game, hehe :p

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
a lot of people here seem to have a hard time to tell the difference between downplayed and underplayed.

By far jade.

But what actually triggers me is when people say kabal and baraka have a weakness. Everyone knows they are good there is no question about that. But it is weird the community hasnt jumped at them and keeps defending them. ( I am not saying they are busted, but they are too good in all situations)
Wait, your complain is that people don‘t constantly complain like pre patch about specific characters? How about you actually enjoy that more and more tech thread pop out instead of 4/5 being crying for anything threads.

Last edited:
Yikes, good thing I’m not a Johnny main; would hate to get labeled a downplayer for just wanting them to fix his hitbox inconsistencies.

I’m going to go with Erron Black, hands down. REO is literally the only one not attending his funeral right now.
I like how everyone ignored this post and just continued to complain about Johnny lol.

I see people talking about forceballs whiffing in pressure situations but what about zoning situations?

Lol.

This is the best bait thread ever.

It’s literally people who struggle to win with Johnny vs people losing to Sex Machine and absolutely not knowing why lol.