What's new

Question Who has the best corner game in MKX?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Pretty much nailed it on the head, best option is to block, but even then db1 is only -2 and it's totally viable to get a d1~db1 cancel afterwards for a full combo if people don't get their own low poke at the right moment.
Summoner can jail a S1 off his D3 on block and make his D1 slightly plus if he sends the bat to cover the gap lol, and hit confirm off it if you get the hit from the bat. This doesn't have that much application in the corner though tbh as you should always be using your plus frames to go for a 50/50 when possible.

UPR_Nova

Noob
The rest are kind of on the money but not Ajax imo nothing really amazing there. Cool mixes but almost all unsafe, and no oki after tick throw
Jax is safe if you want to be with Gotcha Grab and if you can condition your opponent to respect overheads in strings you can throw purple stuff to be plus and either go in or bait armor. B3d2 is plus and some characters must respect the d4 after the string. He doesn't need to land the Overhead Dash Punch to be threatening because he's plus, neutral or very slightly minus on his good stuff. Corner game has always been great and nothing about him offensively changed. Not at all trying to bash your opinion I'm just stating mine in further detail. Maybe I can change your mind! :p

110% Dragon's Breath Bo Rai Cho.
-Has incredible staggers which are all safe if he ends in DB1 (which also launches on hit).
-Safe 50/50's
-An unblockable launcher which is pretty hard to react too
-Can meet your wake-up with OTG Ex-Stomp which guarantees him enough hit advantage for an un-reactable 50/50 into same bullshit unmentioned above, he can just loop it until you die basically.
-Ex-Fart shenanigans which in short makes you block a tick throw 50/50 that can not be armoured out of even if you know it's coming and guess correctly cause you'll be hit by the fart and put back in the same situation.

This character is literally bullshit unfair in the corner, I have played @myri hundreds of times and seriously I think I have ulcers from the amount of stress I get put through getting my ass absolutely raped in the corner.

Everyone go and play one of the Bo loyalists here in the forums and then come back and answer this question again, it's easily DB Bo, then Sorcerer.
That fuckin whale is so damn annoying

GM is still nr. 1 tho

Last edited:

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Just gonna throw an honorable mention for Brood Mother D'vorah out there. +20 Vortex that has decent damage for meter but doesn't require it, looping hard to blockable setups, and almost pre patch Swarm Queen levels of plus oki with 212~krawler setups, which becomes more plus if they tech roll, and becomes a hard to blockable if they delay. It's a bit simple, but some characters can't really deal with the spacing of d4/d3/f22.

Hardly best in the game due to her gaps, but the bug lady has some dirt.

Last edited:

xMEECH

Dyslexic
Sorry but getting hit by janky overheads that you haven't labbed and spending 1 bar for a restand with unspectacular hit advantage is not grounds for having the best corner game.

So Bo is out.

How does Mystic blow up any attempts at GM's corner game? On one hand he's able to full combo punish B2 with clone up meterlessly sure but that still leaves the door open for B33~shatter (which even if you read that, Ermac lacks an armoured move that can take 2 hits outside of Spectral to get through the gap). Unless you wanna chuck out moves that are -24/-51 on block on a read (I wish I was making those numbers up by the way) he still has to play GM's corner game the same as others up front.

Granted Mystic still wins the matchup because of the ability to fuck over Sub on any unsafe clone cancel midscreen but that's not what this thread is about.
Ex push.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub and Bo both have insane corner carry. I can't speak too much on the applications of Bo's though. But after the F1 buffs this patch, Sub is ending EVERY combo with his max advantage ender so he can initiate it almost instantly. He doesn't have to guess like he did when he was forced to use slide ender, he always will get the guaranteed re-klone. He needs one combo to get you in the corner too.

Anything he does in the corner is meterless, he has no need to spend a bar lol. Mystic is being mentioned a lot, and yeah EX Push shits down a lot of his corner game, Mystic is probably Sub's absolute worst matchup in the entire game right now, so yeah. But it's still not "out for free" if Ermac is spending a bar, if he's has no meter he has to use his shitty minus 5000 lift and push at point blank. Then to say characters like Smoke have no options is BARELY an exaggeration.

Bo's corner game is technically more devastating(not much might I add), but I'd still give it to Sub because he can start applying it virtually any time he takes the momentum.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Sub zero has the worst corner game in the entire roster.

Dragon breath Bo is free. You can actually block his ex flame carpet launcher. Secret tech

Best corner game goes to Stunt Double Johnny.

April fools hoes :D

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Jax is safe if you want to be with Gotcha Grab and if you can condition your opponent to respect overheads in strings you can throw purple stuff to be plus and either go in or bait armor. B3d2 is plus and some characters must respect the d4 after the string. He doesn't need to land the Overhead Dash Punch to be threatening because he's plus, neutral or very slightly minus on his good stuff. Corner game has always been great and nothing about him offensively changed. Not at all trying to bash your opinion I'm just stating mine in further detail. Maybe I can change your mind! :p
But just ending the string with all the mids is just a blockstring. The mix is when you do stuff to open your opponent up, and for Jax it is all really unsafe, except for as you mentioned the low, which has a few ways to be made safe. He also gets no oki after some of his core mixes, even on hit it's basically your opponents turn. I think what Jax is putting out there is not even close to the same level as some others can in the corner

Btw this is a dope thread idea @The_Tile good to see something decent that promotes some real discussion happenin

UPR_Nova

Noob
But just ending the string with all the mids is just a blockstring. The mix is when you do stuff to open your opponent up, and for Jax it is all really unsafe, except for as you mentioned the low, which has a few ways to be made safe. He also gets no oki after some of his core mixes, even on hit it's basically your opponents turn. I think what Jax is putting out there is not even close to the same level as some others can in the corner

Btw this is a dope thread idea @The_Tile good to see something decent that promotes some real discussion happenin
Have to agree to disagree. I definitely see what you're saying and maybe I'm just biased but I think it's very strong. Again, you're point is valid, I just think there's power to the elements you feel are weak. Btw, disagreement with courtesy is rare here and I really appreciate the tone of your post.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
After the discussion about Lao's corner game in the patch thread made by @REO I've been thinking about this and I have a few contenders who come to mind.

Imo it's either:
-Bo Rai Cho: Could be any variation really but probably DB
Quan Chi: Either Sorcerer or Summoner
Sub Zero: GM obviously

But this isn't about me, what do you fine genitalmen of TYM think?
Grand Master by far, in my opinion.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
What do you think makes Grandmaster's corner game better than someone like Quan or Bo's? I'd just like to know the reasoning behind your opinion that's all
The reason is the ice clone being put in point zero distance, where even if you try to attack, you'll get frozen. The only way to get out from the corner would be the armored attacks, the teleports and the wallrun. If you don't have the teleports, then you're in for a hell of pressure and punishing attacks.

This is why everyone HATES Ice Klone. I main GM, so I know how they feel. lol

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The ones that stick out the most to me:

All three variations of Bo Rai, though he needs meter for the real dirty stuff even variationless Bo is scary in corner

Quan, particularly non Warlock though Warlock is still nasty.

GM Sub - Clone forces reactions or you to hold mix

Crystalline and Metallic Tremor - Great pressure, flexing on oki and huge combos into restands plus uprock setups

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
What do you think makes Grandmaster's corner game better than someone like Quan or Bo's? I'd just like to know the reasoning behind your opinion that's all
Fair. Ice clone and his options. Even characters with two hits of armor can be in massive trouble, nevermind anyone without solid defense.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
TYM I'm drunk AF right now and imma say this, a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. Summoner Quans corner game is most likely better than Sorcerers. But Sorcerer is a dumb as fuck character it wouldn't surprise me if he was top 5. This is the first and last time youll ever hear a Quan main be truthful about his chatacters placement sk crucify me, because I am the jesus of the Quan community.

Also titties are great, just to let you know. These are the words of the Quan Chi Jesus so make sure you live and die by these words. A nice ass is great too btw. Maybe I should stay away from TYM when I'm not sober.....