What's new

Question What made Bane so good?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
lol. I'm poking fun at him about the meta thing, but as far as MUs go it does make me sad to see people still using the chart from 1.03. :(

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Since Doombawkz is arguing off on a tangent about some shit Chef said that I don't really care to argue with or explain I'll just leave that alone. You can't punish mace charge because it's +1 on block meter burned and not meter burned. Technically you can venom uppercut it if you make the read, but that's a read, not a punish. You might be able to punish wing evade three if it goes through you but I'm not 100% on it. The frame data on that move is really weird because the block advantage varies based on where you hit the 3. I'd agree with everything you posted though.

I'll only talk about that one because Hawkgirl is the only character I play at a really high level besides Doomsday and LBSH, Bane bodies the shit out of Doomsday.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
If people are going to start talking MUs, you should probably move it to the MU thread, otherwise this thread is seriously getting derailed, and that's saying something coming from me.

Since Doombawkz is arguing off on a tangent about some shit Chef said that I don't really care to argue with or explain I'll just leave that alone. You can't punish mace charge because it's +1 on block meter burned and not meter burned. Technically you can venom uppercut it if you make the read, but that's a read, not a punish. You might be able to punish wing evade three if it goes through you but I'm not 100% on it. The frame data on that move is really weird because the block advantage varies based on where you hit the 3. I'd agree with everything you posted though.
Sorry I didn't phrase that properly. After the mace charge followup we can typically fit an armored poke in. If I'm anywhere near the corner against hawkgirl I pushblock the followup. Wing evade 3 is weird, seems 80% of the time I can. Maybe a distance thing? I do feel it's a pretty even matchup, both have dirt. She has a decent keepaway and good pressure game, but still can suffer alot on oki/neutral game.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I generally agree with Doombawkz. Dash buff made him ok. The d+2 buff made him good. The rest made him great.

Once they solved the problem of him having to take a huge risk to blow up jump back he was viable. Now he just blows people up. A character like Catwoman gets out footsied and can't jump. Bane is like completely unapproachable and her real means of damage is punishes...which now do less damage. Sucks lol.

Bane is the most downplayed character in this game by people who don't play or fight Bane. Like so many bad mu are just thrown out there that no one that plays Bane actually thinks are bad. I'm still being told Catwoman does well against him. YJDK.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
What makes Bane good is the fact that he is a character that forces you to respond, to play "his game" in order to win.

Flash MU is a 3-7 "If the flash player knows exactly what they are doing and when to do it."
GA MU is 7-3 "If the Bane player plays the MU how its supposed to be played."

Pretty much all of his MUs are put into that context.

If you don't know how to play the Bane game, or you don't have the pieces you need to compete, then you lose.
You could pick MMH, Flash, Zatanna, any of them... the moment you try and flowchart against Bane expecting it to play like any other MU, you've just lost basically 2 numbers off your score.
Your 7-3 just because a 5-5, your 5-5 just became a 3-7, and your 3-7 just became a 1-9.

What makes Bane good is the fact that he is a character that forces you to respond, to play "his game" in order to win.

Flash MU is a 3-7 "If the flash player knows exactly what they are doing and when to do it."
GA MU is 7-3 "If the Bane player plays the MU how its supposed to be played."

Pretty much all of his MUs are put into that context.

If you don't know how to play the Bane game, or you don't have the pieces you need to compete, then you lose.
You could pick MMH, Flash, Zatanna, any of them... the moment you try and flowchart against Bane expecting it to play like any other MU, you've just lost basically 2 numbers off your score.
Your 7-3 just because a 5-5, your 5-5 just became a 3-7, and your 3-7 just became a 1-9.
That is the best way I've seen it summarized. Every character has a playstyle, and then each character has weird little tricks for a Bane playstyle. Like some characters have floating normals we can't command grab, etc.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What made Bane so good, you ask?

I say the Bane forum's constant complaining and whining about Deathstroke's low gunshots, Black Adam's low lightning, Killer Frost's parry, etc. until they finally got the brain dead character they wanted since day one.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

I say the Bane forum's constant complaining and whining about Deathstroke's low gunshots, Black Adam's low lightning, Killer Frost's parry, etc. until they finally got the brain dead character they wanted since day one.
I actually don't think we complained about most of that stuff.

Pretty sure no one ever complained about KF parry... like ever.
BA's low lightning wasn't a projectile, it still isn't.
DS's low guns were a common complaint in every forum, we got our dash buff and then no one cared about DS low guns.

We wanted a viable character, and we got it like 2 patches ago. The nerfs to the top tiers was just gravy.

The people not playing Bane complained lol. Remember the patch buff threads being made? We suggested reasonable things. Like Adam's lightning being a projectile.
We all grouped together and found mu specific tech, etc.
BA and Supes needed what happened to them, they're reasonable now. The fact they were horrible matchups for us just made it gravy as doomy said. I was satisfied with Bane after the dash buff.

If anything I remember being blown up as being an upplayer haha.

RIF

Noob
Bane used to be a fan favorite, now he's just another character non-Bane players root against.

Well.....We'll always have Shazaam and Catwoman!

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Bane used to be a fan favorite, now he's just another character non-Bane players root against.

Well.....We'll always have Shazaam and Catwoman!
I find it intreaguing having played him from the start. He has certainly been on the roller coaster of opinions.