What's new

Question What made Bane so good?

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
The last buff and nerfs to Superman/Batman/Adam/Frost made him better. IMO you still shouldn't see him in finals of a tournament that Superman/Batman/WW/Frost players are in. Just my opinion though. Nobody freak out. A lot of people still have no idea how to fight bane and just try to hit buttons and shit. That's another huge factor of why he places so high.

Oddly enough that's the same reason Doomsday still wins things even though he shouldn't like ever.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
-- Because of how the character works, getting the dash buffs meant you had to fight him up close no matter what, keeping him out was no longer an option. Once he got in, you'd need to know exactly what to do and when or you'd lose out every time, and no one looked into him enough to know what to do.
basically this. dash buff changed EVERYTHING for characters who could (and needed to) keep him away

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
The last buff and nerfs to Superman/Batman/Adam/Frost made him better. IMO you still shouldn't see him in finals of a tournament that Superman/Batman/WW/Frost players are in. Just my opinion though. Nobody freak out. A lot of people still have no idea how to fight bane and just try to hit buttons and shit. That's another huge factor of why he places so high.

Oddly enough that's the same reason Doomsday still wins things even though he shouldn't like ever.
I disagree not only with your mentioning of Frost but pressing buttons against Bane has little to do with it. His command grab is unblockable (obviously) he destroys wakeups and has a 50/50 and a variety of options to punish players incorrect reads something Killer Frost still can't do yet

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
now he breaks Parry's ... before he couldnt and fighting someone like Bruce Wayne was a like a 10-0 mu

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I disagree not only with your mentioning of Frost but pressing buttons against Bane has little to do with it. His command grab is unblockable (obviously) he destroys wakeups and has a 50/50 and a variety of options to punish players incorrect reads something Killer Frost still can't do yet
What....

Agreed on the nerfs part. But why would you say killer frost is a horrible mu for her? Batman seems about as even as it can get. Superman is a challenge. But not close to unwinnable. Ww is the epitomy of even. And sure some people clearly don't know it. But doesn't change the fact that a wrong guess = insanity. Between armored d1/d2 cancels and amazing footsies I don't see how some of those matchups give him problems. Just my 2 cents

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

All those characters you listed are 5-5, js.
Barring supes which is like a debatable 4-6, maybe.

SonicBoomBrad

All those characters you listed are 5-5, js.
Barring supes which is like a debatable 4-6, maybe.
Cool, play Theo in a money match for $500. I'll sponsor him if you put the money up.

To be fair I posted this before you edited in the part about Superman.

Last edited:
Since we're just balling out lets raise it to $15,000. And hire Craig Sager to do the sideline interviews.

This is going nowhere lol, opinions are opinions.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I'll tell you what made Bane so good:

He became the BANE! of people's existence. People cowered in fear when they saw BANE! selected at the character screen. A roided up level 3 BANE! coming towards you when you find yourself in the corner is terrifying. Terrifying is an adjective that is exclusive to BANE!

Edit: I realize this is how @GGA 16 Bit must have read my post:

Don't worry guys. I've started a kickstarter to pay off head NRS honchos. Come EVO 2014, Bane will no longer be a playable character.

SonicBoomBrad

If a Superman is losing consistently to a Bane player, that Superman is significantly worse than the Bane player. When your entire character model revolves around armor and you're fighting against a character with a trait that breaks armor, there isn't a reason why you should be able to open Supes up. Specially because you have to get past his lasers just to hit him. And being in debuff against Superman is scary as fuck. I don't understand why people try to fight for match ups that are blatantly obvious. Like you don't gain anything for upplaying your character.

Trust me I think Bane is one of the stupidest characters in the game, but there are some match ups that he really struggles in.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Cool, play Theo in a money match for $500. I'll sponsor him if you put the money up.

To be fair I posted this before you edited in the part about Superman.
Yes, yes I know. I'm not good enough yet to be doing MM, but I feel like Supes could be a 5-5 but we don't have the results quite yet.

KF, however, I'm convinced is probably a 5-5 since Batgirl is more likely than not a 5-5 and she is much more threatening to us.

SonicBoomBrad

Yes, yes I know. I'm not good enough yet to be doing MM, but I feel like Supes could be a 5-5 but we don't have the results quite yet.

KF, however, I'm convinced is probably a 5-5 since Batgirl is more likely than not a 5-5 and she is much more threatening to us.
Not going to lie I threw KF and WW in there just to throw them in there. I don't think he does great against Aquaman or Hawkgirl either but that's just my opinion because I picked those two characters to counter him.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Not going to lie I threw KF and WW in there just to throw them in there. I don't think he does great against Aquaman or Hawkgirl either but that's just my opinion because I picked those two characters to counter him.
Its ok, brad. Your scene has an incomplete meta, it makes sense you don't know what Bane's MU numbers are.
Aqua is 5-5, HG is 5-5 if memory serves, possibly 6-4 but you'd need to check the chart for that one.

>_> You named one character who is debatably bad for Bane (and even then only slightly) and then a bunch of 5-5s >_>

Oh also...

Trust me I think Bane is one of the stupidest characters in the game, but there are some match ups that he really struggles in.
Bane struggles in MUs where he has to fight characters who can convincingly keep him out (which isn't superman) or characters who can break his armor WITHOUT needing to do it in a 5 second window with a 7 second cooldown. You also need to have half decent wake-ups, also not superman.

Flash, Zatanna, Sinestro... These are characters who are solid 4-6 MUs. Bad for Bane, and some debatable ones like Lex and Scorp as well. They all have either the ability to keep Bane out for a very very long period of time, or can work their way around it through naturally armor breaking attacks or just avoiding it in general.

You can't just look at one aspect of the match and say "oh trait > armor so Superman > Bane" because the moment supes lands on his back then that trait won't matter too much.

Last edited:
Its ok, brad. Your scene has an incomplete meta, it makes sense you don't know what Bane's MU numbers are.
Aqua is 5-5, HG is 5-5 if memory serves, possibly 6-4 but you'd need to check the chart for that one.

>_> You named one character who is debatably bad for Bane (and even then only slightly) and then a bunch of 5-5s >_>
Oh god. What have you done

SonicBoomBrad

My scene has the most complete meta in terms of top tier representatives. But we're lacking in the weird ass characters. I can see aqua being 5-5 even though he can punish every dash with d1 from the deep for 40% or just d1 trident rush if you don't want to risk the ftd, not to mention he gets awesome damage for anti airing, and Bane has to come to him. The only time I see bane giving Aqua trouble is on his wake up.

Hawkgirl can go through pretty much everything with wing evade 3 and you have to take risks to hit her out of it. Not to mention any time I have bar I get free mace charge pressure because if you're doing something when I mb it I'll go through you, and if I hit you at any point when you're in debuff, specially in the corner, Gandhi help you. Not to mention you can't do double punch into double punch because I can wing evade 2 on reaction and punish you for 30%, even though that's kind of difficult to do, you can't count it out.

I still think he gets bodied by Nightwing as well. You can't really ignore wingdings and his tripple hitting string that I forgot the input for.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
My scene has the most complete meta in terms of top tier representatives. But we're lacking in the weird ass characters. I can see aqua being 5-5 even though he can punish every dash with d1 from the deep for 40% or just d1 trident rush if you don't want to risk the ftd, not to mention he gets awesome damage for anti airing, and Bane has to come to him. The only time I see bane giving Aqua trouble is on his wake up.

Hawkgirl can go through pretty much everything with wing evade 3 and you have to take risks to hit her out of it. Not to mention any time I have bar I get free mace charge pressure because if you're doing something when I mb it I'll go through you, and if I hit you at any point when you're in debuff, specially in the corner, Gandhi help you. Not to mention you can't do double punch into double punch because I can wing evade 2 on reaction and punish you for 30%, even though that's kind of difficult to do, you can't count it out.

I still think he gets bodied by Nightwing as well. You can't really ignore wingdings and his tripple hitting string that I forgot the input for.
Odd, last I heard Bane was a "top tier" character. Also last I heard, you guys thought Grundy was 21 spaces above Bane. I forget, are you guys ATL or West Coast?
Do you guys even have a Bane player? Because from what I've seen, these "weird ass characters" are the ones flooding the top 8 while leaving a pile of "top tier" corpses behind them. Having a "complete meta of top tiers" means less and less these days when the real threats are those you aren't playing against. So I'll say it again...
You guys have an incomplete meta. If you lack strong representation from those characters who are placing well, that's called having an incomplete meta.

Aquaman is a 5-5 because his trait loses relevance, Bane has faster pokes and can get that knockdown pretty convincingly. The wake-up is the worst part for Aqua, but its not the only part. Still, he gets his damage where it counts and we do have to do timing so its a 5-5. We have our assets, he has his.

Hawkgirl has no wake-ups, pretty much everything is single-hit, and her main benefit is flying to the top of the screen and throwing maces. Also DP -> DP usually isn't the thing, its d.1xxDP -> d.1xxDP or d.1xxDP -> d.2xxBP/DP. She has us on zoning, but she suffers just as much as the next guy on wake-up and she doesn't have very much to contest us. The new MB VU buff also helps pluck her out of the sky.

Nightwing is a 5-5 also because we can actually block. Like we block wingdings and input a punish and he can't do much about it.

Just gonna comment on the mu part. Be patient getting in on aquaman, walk forward. When a FTD comes out block and dash. It's really does feel 5-5.
Hawkgirl, Block mace charge, then punish. wing evade 3 can be punished, I've done it. Honestly if a Bane is just standing there going DP DP DP DP the odds are he's playing it wrong. Mbb3 would be a better option to net you more damage then, as you can do it in between the punches.

And nightwing doesn't body him. Feels extremely even. wingdings block and dash. and that triple string I know which one you're talking about. It's punishable by us. That matchup needs patience, if nightwing blocks then prepare to block the string.

Everything you listed is a legitimate threat in general don't get me wrong, but there are ways around all of those.