What's new

Question What made Bane so good?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
There are ghost buffs?! This... this changes everything.

jk, but seriously, ghost buffs are a thing?! I had no idea! How do people figure out something is improved/nerfed then?
You have someone like me who has no life and spends the first 50 hours of every patch labbing with Bane.
Yeah, ghost buffs are a thing. Sometimes they don't note it, but we luckily saw one of the development people talking about it and his words were accurate.
d.2 getting that huge frame drop opened up so many doors it was redic.

My top 5 buffs for Bane -

1) Dash buff, only reason we even exist
2) venom buff, we take what we give
3) d.2 buff, my god its soo good
4) mB VU buff, made some MUs a lot better
5) MB b.3 buff, lets us do like... 74% combos for like 1.25 bars

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
There was a universal buff to d2s in this game. Almost everyone got a d2 buff.
Although true, most got buffs in hitboxes. Bane's d.2 literally got a 6 frame drop and a huge hitbox increase.
We gained more than pretty much everyone else in that dept, and it was all unlisted specifically in the patch notes for us.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
See, that's called spite.

Pre-patch 1 Bane was someone you pitied. He was so bad, people couldn't even bash you for using him because you spent the entire game bashing yourself just by picking him.
Brother, you truly are an enigma. lmao

If there was a rep system on this website that post would definitely be worth some good reputation points.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Brother, you truly are an enigma. lmao

If there was a rep system on this website that post would definitely be worth some good reputation points.
Its true.

He was so bad, even I couldn't up-play him.
And anyone whose been on the site long enough can tell you, that's a pretty big deal.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Its true.

He was so bad, even I couldn't up-play him.
And anyone whose been on the site long enough can tell you, that's a pretty big deal.
I believe you (100% Serious) I started as a Bane main before Lobo was released. Level 3 de-buff was so high-risk it wasn't even funny.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
:p

Man, its funny too because we still have hidden buff advantages.
Like f.2.d.3 is listed as -6, but in reality its -5 with a low hitbox so its not even possible to punish it on block.

Don't count out the fact that the Bane mains were grinding shit. Breaking down every matchup, every wake up etc. Finding tech. (99%) doombawks. We got buffed, but we also were doing well with this character pre patch. There just weren't many dedicated Bane mains. Maybe 5 at most at one point before?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Don't count out the fact that the Bane mains were grinding shit. Breaking down every matchup, every wake up etc. Finding tech. (99%) doombawks. We got buffed, but we also were doing well with this character pre patch. There just weren't many dedicated Bane mains. Maybe 5 at most at one point before?
Doombawkz...
C'mon man, you're a fellow Bane. I would hope you'd at least know my name lol.

And yeah, honestly the BCC started with just 2 people, and we included 5 more which made for 7. After the dash buff, we increased to 10, and we capped out at 23.

I think you can argue that most of Bane's insanity can be attributed directly to 1.06. Vanilla Bane was probably one of the worst characters in the game (still not as bad as Joker) because he basically had no way to get in on a lot of the cast. His dash buff changed all of that, and if I remember right his venom cooldown was also tweaked in one of the earlier patches. At that point he was probably low mid tier and eventually as players leveled up and technology like wakeup stuffing was grinded out he would have emerged as such, but the popular perception that he was bottom 5 had already taken hold and ultimately 1.06 was based on that perception rather than the reality.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I think you can argue that most of Bane's insanity can be attributed directly to 1.06. Vanilla Bane was probably one of the worst characters in the game (still not as bad as Joker) because he basically had no way to get in on a lot of the cast. His dash buff changed all of that, and if I remember right his venom cooldown was also tweaked in one of the earlier patches. At that point he was probably low mid tier and eventually as players leveled up and technology like wakeup stuffing was grinded out he would have emerged as such, but the popular perception that he was bottom 5 had already taken hold and ultimately 1.06 was based on that perception rather than the reality.
Where do I begin...

No, his insanity existed long before 1.06, in fact the most recent patch was one of the more minor patches overall. Vanilla Bane WAS the worst character, even worse than Vanilla joker, and it stems from a lot more than just his issues getting in. The sentence about the dash buff and venom tweak is the only accurate one. Technology like wake-up stuffing was existent from day 1, it was the only thing we had and it was grinded out long before that first patch came around. He was bottom 5 for a long long while. I'd say 1.04 onwards was where he emerged beyond that marker to be a convincing mid-tier, albeit still not viable without a second. Full circle, 1.06 didn't give Bane much; He was pretty potent before the patch, but 1.06 eliminated some big threats and gave us Mb VU on block, and people had begun to actually pay attention for once which is why he seems to have come out of nowhere when in reality he never left.

I give credit to Grr for being the first one to really make that recent landmark first, as his round of win over KDZ's prepatch superman got people raising their eyebrows.

Where do I begin...

No, his insanity existed long before 1.06, in fact the most recent patch was one of the more minor patches overall. Vanilla Bane WAS the worst character, even worse than Vanilla joker, and it stems from a lot more than just his issues getting in. The sentence about the dash buff and venom tweak is the only accurate one. Technology like wake-up stuffing was existent from day 1, it was the only thing we had and it was grinded out long before that first patch came around. He was bottom 5 for a long long while. I'd say 1.04 onwards was where he emerged beyond that marker to be a convincing mid-tier, albeit still not viable without a second. Full circle, 1.06 didn't give Bane much; He was pretty potent before the patch, but 1.06 eliminated some big threats and gave us Mb VU on block, and people had begun to actually pay attention for once which is why he seems to have come out of nowhere when in reality he never left.

I give credit to Grr for being the first one to really make that recent landmark first, as his round of win over KDZ's prepatch superman got people raising their eyebrows.
Well I think you've either misunderstood some of what I've said or I'm unclear on where you're disagreeing with some things I've said. I did not imply that wakeup stuffing wasn't there since day 1. Obviously it was. Nothing in any patch changed or affected it dramatically. What I'm saying is that it was an aspect of the meta that only began to become more prominent as people began to grind out matchups and learn the game, and as a result it had a major effect on the characters perceived tier placement.

It sounds like you agree that the character was probably mid tier prior to 1.06, so our only real point of disagreement seems to be just how dramatic the last patch was and how good he is right now.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
And now...bane just gets in and roid rages in ur face all day...he's easy mode :I

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
Bane forum must be like they banged Kate Upton when Bane got buffs lol.
i don't even know if he's top 10 or not ._____. ...

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Well I think you've either misunderstood some of what I've said or I'm unclear on where you're disagreeing with some things I've said. I did not imply that wakeup stuffing wasn't there since day 1. Obviously it was. Nothing in any patch changed or affected it dramatically. What I'm saying is that it was an aspect of the meta that only began to become more prominent as people began to grind out matchups and learn the game, and as a result it had a major effect on the characters perceived tier placement.

It sounds like you agree that the character was probably mid tier prior to 1.06, so our only real point of disagreement seems to be just how dramatic the last patch was and how good he is right now.
Pretty much, my point on contention stands about the wake-up thing. Honestly it hasn't changed much either, just the difficult ones to keep down became easier through nerfs so Bane gives the illusion of having developed when in reality he hasn't changed and those around him have

Last edited: