What's new

Question - Kano WHAT KIND OF CHANGES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE TO KANO IN KP2

Gonna play this MU this weekend so I can comment better, I'm not too familiar with it.

Speaking of Injustice, I would typically break even against Grundy with Raven even though it was supposed to be the 2nd worst MU. Maybe Grundy's charts were all wrong. :eek:
Yea exactly...i sucked in the grundy mu and nightwing beat him on paper. :(

But yea bruh lab it out and you will see. Kano controls the pace and space. Its annoying

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
What the.... Murk you're talking about theory fighting here. Stuff you do in the lab or in your head is not equivalent to what is actually practical and happens in matches. If you think Kano controls the pace of anything against Liu Kang you're doing something wrong. Liu shuts down any area Kano wants to win in. Up close? Liu Kang has a much better up close game. Full screen? Liu Kang's projectile wins trades so it's not worth it for Cyber to zone. All Kang has to do is block one knife and he's off. Never mind the fact I'm labbing it right now (and have before a bunch of times to make sure it's not just me) but I've also played this matchup enough to know that I'm not going to outzone him if the Kang knows what he's doing. If I could outzone him I'd have no trouble saying this is a better than losing matchup for Kano but he 100% does not win from full screen. Midscreen? Kang has the better walkspeeds as well both advancing lows and an overhead (although not a full combo but still a threat) to worry about. I really don't see how you could possibly let Kano control Kang, maybe Cutthroat since it has a better up close game but not Cybernetic. Let's ask some people who actually play both characters and see what they have to say @Phosferrax @Derptile
But if the reason Kano wins is because he can sit back and throw knives and Cassie has to just deal with it, he's going to have to walk back since it doesn't take long at all for Cassie to get in. Obviously that'll take him straight to the corner unless he comes to play footsies with Cassie, which is what she wants. -6 or -7 doesn't mean the end of my turn when your fastest normal is 8 frames and I have a safe, armoured, launching flip.

We haven't played it in a while, and I don't play any more so god knows if we'll ever get to play it again at a decent level lol. The reason I said Cassie hits harder than Kano is because she gets to finish her combos into nut punch to get rid of oki and have a mixup or guarenteed 13% chip for a bar or keep up the pressure which in my opinion is much scarier than a little bit more damage and resetting the neutral and a few % of chip with knives because I'd be fullscreen. She does get to put the 50/50's into practice, after a successful B124 she's +1 and if Kano respects her option to D3 or flip because he doesn't want to risk armouring or poking then she's not going to do another b12, she's going to do a 50/50. As a Cassie player, I don't feel like in a tournement I'd panic if somebody chose Cybernetic.

Cassies F3 most likely outranges D'vorahs B1 by an insignificant amount (haven't tested, going by memory lol) and Cassie's D+F1 probably has a little less range than D'vorah's F2 - pretty similar 50/50's if you ask me. But anyway, I think you should be looking at each matchup as its own thing. I can definitely see why you think that D'vorah goes pretty even with Cybernetic. But I'm not a D'vorah main lol.
I didn't say he wins just because he can sit back and throw knives, did you not read my last post? I said that's a part of it, but not something she's going to deal with all the time. Kano does not have to walk back to throw knives either, where are you getting these things from? Reread what I said. He can sit where he is and throw knives, she needs to come to him. When she does get to midscreen he has the tools to compete with her in neutral so it's not auto-hold-this-string/mixup. There's no walking back needed. Just because my fastest normal is 8 frames doesn't mean my fastest move is 8, remember I have up ball to challenge you.

What pressure? You're the one that told me that sequences with a 13 frame gap aren't pressure. And it's not a little bit more damage, it's high 20s + knives vs your low 20s damage if you decide you're going to use the restands you're talking about. That's a whole 50% more damage per combo that Kano does, not a little bit. Who cares about B124? I have no reason to sit there and block it, I'll gladly take the hit and be full screen again. That's where I want you. You not panicking when someone chooses Cybernetic is fine, it's good that you don't worry about what are potentially more problematic matchups, but that doesn't mean Kano doesn't win. In the same way you're saying you don't panic if someone plays Cyber against your Cassie I could say to you that I've rarely lost to a Cassie as Cybernetic and that I win the majority of the games I've played against her, which is true, but it's irrelevant because it has nothing to do with the characters.

They do not have similar 50/50s lol. Yes D'Vorahs B1 requires you to be closer but Cassie needs to be pretty much right next to you to do either of her options. B+D1 is at least half the range of D'Vorahs F2, F2 covers a lot more space than either of Cassie's options. Plus D'Vorahs are not only both safe but convert into much more damage than Cassies. I am looking at the matchup as its own thing, otherwise I'd be saying the entire match is the same but I'm not, I just happen to approach the matchups at a basic level similarly because D'Vorah and Cassie have a similar gameplan in the Cybernetic matchup which is get in and 50/50 me. The difference is how easily they can do that. D'Vorah has better tools than Cassie and I think he goes even with D'Vorah, maybe 4-6 at worst so I can't see where Cassie would have the advantage. If Cybernetic was easier to get in on for Cassie then he'd probably lose since he wouldn't have effective ways of keeping her out/from 50/50ing him, but the combination of his solid neutral, mid knives, Cassie's lack of great anti/counter-zoning and damage just doesn't give her an advantage anywhere except up close where she rarely gets to be. You're theory fighting, it's like saying Jacqui wins matchups because of her safe 50/50s and good damage but ignoring that she gets beat in neutral so she'll never realistically get that many chances to do those things. Cassie doesn't get beat in neutral necessarily but her tools just aren't as effective as other characters' for getting in and doing all these mixups and restands and what you're mentioning.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
What the.... Murk you're talking about theory fighting here. Stuff you do in the lab or in your head is not equivalent to what is actually practical and happens in matches. If you think Kano controls the pace of anything against Liu Kang you're doing something wrong. Liu shuts down any area Kano wants to win in. Up close? Liu Kang has a much better up close game. Full screen? Liu Kang's projectile wins trades so it's not worth it for Cyber to zone. All Kang has to do is block one knife and he's off. Never mind the fact I'm labbing it right now (and have before a bunch of times to make sure it's not just me) but I've also played this matchup enough to know that I'm not going to outzone him if the Kang knows what he's doing. If I could outzone him I'd have no trouble saying this is a better than losing matchup for Kano but he 100% does not win from full screen. Midscreen? Kang has the better walkspeeds as well both advancing lows and an overhead (although not a full combo but still a threat) to worry about. I really don't see how you could possibly let Kano control Kang, maybe Cutthroat since it has a better up close game but not Cybernetic. Let's ask some people who actually play both characters and see what they have to say @Phosferrax @Derptile

I didn't say he wins just because he can sit back and throw knives, did you not read my last post? I said that's a part of it, but not something she's going to deal with all the time. Kano does not have to walk back to throw knives either, where are you getting these things from? Reread what I said. He can sit where he is and throw knives, she needs to come to him. When she does get to midscreen he has the tools to compete with her in neutral so it's not auto-hold-this-string/mixup. There's no walking back needed. Just because my fastest normal is 8 frames doesn't mean my fastest move is 8, remember I have up ball to challenge you.

What pressure? You're the one that told me that sequences with a 13 frame gap aren't pressure. And it's not a little bit more damage, it's high 20s + knives vs your low 20s damage if you decide you're going to use the restands you're talking about. That's a whole 50% more damage per combo that Kano does, not a little bit. Who cares about B124? I have no reason to sit there and block it, I'll gladly take the hit and be full screen again. That's where I want you. You not panicking when someone chooses Cybernetic is fine, it's good that you don't worry about what are potentially more problematic matchups, but that doesn't mean Kano doesn't win. In the same way you're saying you don't panic if someone plays Cyber against your Cassie I could say to you that I've rarely lost to a Cassie as Cybernetic and that I win the majority of the games I've played against her, which is true, but it's irrelevant because it has nothing to do with the characters.

They do not have similar 50/50s lol. Yes D'Vorahs B1 requires you to be closer but Cassie needs to be pretty much right next to you to do either of her options. B+D1 is at least half the range of D'Vorahs F2, F2 covers a lot more space than either of Cassie's options. Plus D'Vorahs are not only both safe but convert into much more damage than Cassies. I am looking at the matchup as its own thing, otherwise I'd be saying the entire match is the same but I'm not, I just happen to approach the matchups at a basic level similarly because D'Vorah and Cassie have a similar gameplan in the Cybernetic matchup which is get in and 50/50 me. The difference is how easily they can do that. D'Vorah has better tools than Cassie and I think he goes even with D'Vorah, maybe 4-6 at worst so I can't see where Cassie would have the advantage. If Cybernetic was easier to get in on for Cassie then he'd probably lose since he wouldn't have effective ways of keeping her out/from 50/50ing him, but the combination of his solid neutral, mid knives, Cassie's lack of great anti/counter-zoning and damage just doesn't give her an advantage anywhere except up close where she rarely gets to be. You're theory fighting, it's like saying Jacqui wins matchups because of her safe 50/50s and good damage but ignoring that she gets beat in neutral so she'll never realistically get that many chances to do those things. Cassie doesn't get beat in neutral necessarily but her tools just aren't as effective as other characters' for getting in and doing all these mixups and restands and what you're mentioning.
Although i said agree to disagree one final comment, i tested it in the lab you can do reg knife full screen then another knife while liu kang reversals your first and still block in time.

Youphemism

Although i said agree to disagree one final comment, i tested it in the lab you can do reg knife full screen then another knife while liu kang reversals your first and still block in time.
I'm literally testing this myself right now myself. Liu Kang only has to block one knife then he can throw out his own fireball and trade. One fireball from Liu Kang actually does 0.15% damage MORE than one of Kano's knives of hit AND one on block. Not an advantageous trade for Cyber.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
I'm literally testing this myself right now myself. Liu Kang only has to block one knife then he can throw out his own fireball and trade. One fireball from Liu Kang actually does 0.15% damage MORE than one of Kano's knives of hit AND one on block. Not an advantageous trade for Cyber.
Then you are throwing them out to slow, because i put my opponent on reversal, then threw a knife, and then another won after he reversed my first and was able to block, you are doing it to slow.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.

Oh jesus christ no matter how little I try to responnd with you always reply with a bible worth of text lmao. This is why I don't ever discuss things with you. Makes me roll my eyes, sigh and pop some adderall to stay focused lol :p

I'm getting that he'll walk back and throw knives because apparently it's the reason Cassie gets beat apparently. If he stands there, then Cassie gets in and that's where she wants to be. If he walks back then he can continue throwing knives, that's what Cassie doesn't want. Or am I misunderstanding? What else is Kano going to do from fullscreen? You said that Kano wants to be fullscreen. I don't think knives are a reason she loses the matchup. She has to hold the knives - who cares? Cassie doesn't care.

I mean you say 50% more damage to try and emphasise your point, but in reality it's more like 5% difference or something. I'll let you take the last hit of b124 all day, free damage (probably the same amount you'd do throwing knives at me), frame advantage and corner carry for me - exactly what I want. I don't think you've played a good Cassie who knows the matchup offline ever, but like you said, we're talking about the matchup and not your experience.

I said I don't main D'vorah. I also said I haven't tested it. My comparison obviously was that D'vorah and Cassie have 50/50 options that are similar because they both have an option with very little reach and a much farther reaching normal. Anyway, I'd rather we didn't try and mix in D'vorah with this discussion since that matchup has nothing to do with this one. We're both theory fighting. Everything I've said about the Cassie matchup is practical.

I'm still not convinced Cassie loses this matchup and I'm positive that in a year from now when top level players start using Cassie more to the highest level and have experience in the Cyber MU and post matchup charts that it'll say 5-5. Disagree with me if you want, but I think it's 5-5 and don't see a reason why it should be in Cybers favour.

Also, are you coming to Max Xp tomorrow? Word on the street is that Gavin is bringing some fresh blood :p

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Dragon's Fire beats all variations of Kano, and Cutthroat > Cybernetic. You have to abuse his defensive options and go ham with 50/50s.

I'm too lazy to do a detailed explanation but that's the gist of it.

Youphemism

Then you are throwing them out to slow, because i put my opponent on reversal, then threw a knife, and then another won after he reversed my first and was able to block, you are doing it to slow.
Why are you testing against the AI? And what projectile are you using?
Oh jesus christ no matter how little I try to responnd with you always reply with a bible worth of text lmao. This is why I don't ever discuss things with you. Makes me roll my eyes, sigh and pop some adderall to stay focused lol :p

I'm getting that he'll walk back and throw knives because apparently it's the reason Cassie gets beat apparently. If he stands there, then Cassie gets in and that's where she wants to be. If he walks back then he can continue throwing knives, that's what Cassie doesn't want. Or am I misunderstanding? What else is Kano going to do from fullscreen? You said that Kano wants to be fullscreen. I don't think knives are a reason she loses the matchup. She has to hold the knives - who cares? Cassie doesn't care.

I mean you say 50% more damage to try and emphasise your point, but in reality it's more like 5% difference or something. I'll let you take the last hit of b124 all day, free damage (probably the same amount you'd do throwing knives at me), frame advantage and corner carry for me - exactly what I want. I don't think you've played a good Cassie who knows the matchup offline ever, but like you said, we're talking about the matchup and not your experience.

I said I don't main D'vorah. I also said I haven't tested it. My comparison obviously was that D'vorah and Cassie have 50/50 options that are similar because they both have an option with very little reach and a much farther reaching normal. Anyway, I'd rather we didn't try and mix in D'vorah with this discussion since that matchup has nothing to do with this one. We're both theory fighting. Everything I've said about the Cassie matchup is practical.

I'm still not convinced Cassie loses this matchup and I'm positive that in a year from now when top level players start using Cassie more to the highest level and have experience in the Cyber MU and post matchup charts that it'll say 5-5. Disagree with me if you want, but I think it's 5-5 and don't see a reason why it should be in Cybers favour.

Also, are you coming to Max Xp tomorrow? Word on the street is that Gavin is bringing some fresh blood :p
Lol sorry ;)

No it isn't the reason Cassie gets beat so you're getting this from nowhere. Noone has said anything about walking back except you. Kano does not need to walk back, this is the third time I've said this. He will zone her with knives where he stands, she will attempt to get to him. If he stands there she does not get in, she is then trying to compete with him in the neutral where he has arguably better options. Her getting past knives doesn't mean she's in his face, she's at midscreen. Cassie does care about the knives, they are what is preventing her from getting in at anywhere from 1/3 of the screen to full screen. Then she's got more to deal with from Kano's neutral game from any closer than that which is at the very least comparable to hers which makes it a problem for Cassie because Kano is one of the only characters that can shut/slow down what is one of her strengths - her midscreen game.

I'm not emphasising anything, you're downplaying the difference. 50% more damage is 1.5 times the amount of damage. Kano does nearer 30% and Cassie does nearer 20%. Kano outdamages her, fact. B124 may be "free damage" but then you're full screen again, it's not like you're going to land B124 all the time. You whiff that and I'm going to full combo you easy, you can't throw it out there like you're making it sound like you can. And if you do keep doing it I have multiple options to get you off me for trying that such as backdash and ex reversals. I've played you and you're a competent enough Cassie, don't just downplay yourself to prove a point.

Well if you haven't tested it it's not worth discussing is it? And that's incorrect, not everything you've said is practical because Cassie cannot get in on Kano and start up all the theoretical pressure/mixups/vortex you've implied she'll even get the chance to implement in the match. I don't see a reason it should be winning for Cassie at all, besides 50/50s she has nothing better than Kano in the matchup, but the differences in their game aren't enough to say it's something like a 3-7 though. How could you not think Cassie loses the matchup? From every time you've played me offline in tournament in this matchup you've lost, and even though you played better in that set we played you still overall lost, so I'm sure you can understand where my confusion comes from in you saying she doesn't lose lol. Your reasoning for Cassie going even is that she'll get in and vortex/50/50 but every time we've played that's never how it's went. What I have described is how our sets have always went. At the highest level Cassie will still not have great anti-zoning tools and her neutral game isn't going to get any better. Even Coach Steve, who plays both characters, has this as 6-4 Cybernetic. I really don't know what other facts to give you about Kano or the matchup to explain why it's losing because I thought I went into everything and explained in detail but I respect that you can have a different opinion so ok man we'll just agree to disagree then.

Yeah I saw that, I wonder if he plays someone we don't have here yet #Kreygasm. Although I think Gav mentioned at one point he played Johnny but we'll find out tomorrow :D Should be there after uni.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
Why are you testing against the AI? And what projectile are you using?

Lol sorry ;)

No it isn't the reason Cassie gets beat so you're getting this from nowhere. Noone has said anything about walking back except you. Kano does not need to walk back, this is the third time I've said this. He will zone her with knives where he stands, she will attempt to get to him. If he stands there she does not get in, she is then trying to compete with him in the neutral where he has arguably better options. Her getting past knives doesn't mean she's in his face, she's at midscreen. Cassie does care about the knives, they are what is preventing her from getting in at anywhere from 1/3 of the screen to full screen. Then she's got more to deal with from Kano's neutral game from any closer than that which is at the very least comparable to hers which makes it a problem for Cassie because Kano is one of the only characters that can shut/slow down what is one of her strengths - her midscreen game.

I'm not emphasising anything, you're downplaying the difference. 50% more damage is 1.5 times the amount of damage. Kano does nearer 30% and Cassie does nearer 20%. Kano outdamages her, fact. B124 may be "free damage" but then you're full screen again, it's not like you're going to land B124 all the time. You whiff that and I'm going to full combo you easy, you can't throw it out there like you're making it sound like you can. And if you do keep doing it I have multiple options to get you off me for trying that such as backdash and ex reversals. I've played you and you're a competent enough Cassie, don't just downplay yourself to prove a point.

Well if you haven't tested it it's not worth discussing is it? And that's incorrect, not everything you've said is practical because Cassie cannot get in on Kano and start up all the theoretical pressure/mixups/vortex you've implied she'll even get the chance to implement in the match. I don't see a reason it should be winning for Cassie at all, besides 50/50s she has nothing better than Kano in the matchup, but the differences in their game aren't enough to say it's something like a 3-7 though. How could you not think Cassie loses the matchup? From every time you've played me offline in tournament in this matchup you've lost, and even though you played better in that set we played you still overall lost, so I'm sure you can understand where my confusion comes from in you saying she doesn't lose lol. Your reasoning for Cassie going even is that she'll get in and vortex/50/50 but every time we've played that's never how it's went. What I have described is how our sets have always went. At the highest level Cassie will still not have great anti-zoning tools and her neutral game isn't going to get any better. Even Coach Steve, who plays both characters, has this as 6-4 Cybernetic. I really don't know what other facts to give you about Kano or the matchup to explain why it's losing because I thought I went into everything and explained in detail but I respect that you can have a different opinion so ok man we'll just agree to disagree then.

Yeah I saw that, I wonder if he plays someone we don't have here yet #Kreygasm. Although I think Gav mentioned at one point he played Johnny but we'll find out tomorrow :D Should be there after uni.
The ai reverses as soon as possible, so i can throw my regular knife, then kang throws a fireball while i throw out another knife and then i can block.

Youphemism

Like i said you are doing it to slow i would post a video if psn were not down.
But I'm not, I'm doing it as soon as he recovers. You must be missing something, I find the AI is too unreliable so try testing it humanly if you can.

The only change I would really like for Kano is for his up ball to truly be 6 frames. All other listed changes would be amazing to have though. Lol

There is always so much nonsense going on about Kano in these forums. Number one reason I'm rarely here. When people believe cybernetic Kano BEATS cassie cage, subzero, etc... I know they are inexperienced. If they played someone who knows the matchup as well as I do, they would see. But most here have either quit playing kano, or don't have the ability to test the matchup vs good players.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
When people believe cybernetic Kano BEATS cassie cage, subzero, etc... I know they are inexperienced
Some of the best Kano players on the planet believe Cyber Kano beats Cassie and Sub-Zero while having played some of their best reps though. I hear some of what you're saying, but just thought I'd point that part out.