What's new

Question - Kano WHAT KIND OF CHANGES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE TO KANO IN KP2

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As per the TYM trend for non top tier characters, our beloved Kano who is currently listed only one tier above stankin, what would we like to see for him to rise up the ranks? Or at least become relevant in competitive play again. Any and all input welcome.

@Youphemism has a suggestion list. Here it is-

Kano:

General-

-Standing 1 changed from 8 frames to 7
-All whiffing issues fixed (like standing 2, which is an important normal, and non-Cybernetic knives which can whiff on crouch BLOCKING characters such as Scorpion)
-Hit and block reaction changed on F4 so that several moves will not whiff after it, either that or increase the range of said moves that can whiff when cancelled from F4 (like DB1 in Cybernetic).
-Whiff recovery from mb air ball halved.
-5 more frames of hitstun from ex ball cancel (this will make Commando bnbs easier to execute and allow Commando to tap in to a slightly higher damage output)
-Up Ball issues fixed (ie getting beat out by a lot of normals, variable startup with anywhere between 6 and 9(!) frames)

Cutthroat-

-Cutthroat - Ex buff's DoT effect removed

Cybernetic-

-Cybernetic - 2% damage increase to DF2 (and therefore 0.5% chip damage) increase to allow him to compete in zoning wars and actually have zoning worth worrying about
-Cybernetic - Slightly decreased damage scaling on 2+4MB launcher to allow him to have average combo damage and so his variation-specific combo extender isn't made redundant by his universal combo extender (ex ball cancel) since it currently does around the same damage
-Cybernetic - You can now choose where you'd like to place the opponent when doing Kano's 1+3 ender, 1+3B places them near you, 1+3F places them 3/4 screen. In its current state it leaves the opponent in an awkward position where nothing Kano has that's guaranteed reaches and where anything that does reach isn't guaranteed.
-Cybernetic - Slightly increased block advantage on ex knives (from +5 to +8)
-Cybernetic - MB Up Laser hit reaction changed/recovery reduced to allow for more consistent conversions

-Commando - Slightly decrease the damage scaling on 321+3MB so that the move isn't made redundant by ex ball cancel combos as they currently do more damage
-Commando - New tick throws implemented, either B1, F4, B3 or all of them (note: You might think I'm crazy but look at all the other grapplers and try telling me that'd be broken in comparison somehow)
-Commando - Parry inconsistencies fixed (ie being able to parry lows high but not low, vice versa)

@MsMiharo also adds-

-give command grabs more priority and make ex knives (commando/ct) function properly ie the mid is a true mid, doesn't whiff in the corner etc.

Quoting these two because I strongly agree with most of it and not sure what else I would add. Nothing too powerful or game breaking, but would go a long way towards giving the character a hand.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'll add in (a parody of) what most of the Kanos complain(ed) about as well because why not :DOGE:DOGE:DOGE

General

- Ex knives hit high, overhead
- B31, F4, 2F4 and 32 are now all overheads

Cutthroat

- B1 now reaches half screen
- Reverted back to version before the 1/9 hotfix

Cybernetic

- B1 and B2 are both overheads too
- Ex knives are now +26 on block
- 1+3 restand now leaves Cybernetic at +37 and the opponent directly in front of him

Commando

- Grab immunity removed from the game Sorry, I mean grabs don't randomly whiff against certain moves now
- Ex ball cancel leaves Kano at +162 on hit

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It would be nice if Cybernetic and Commando had some sort of decent overhead options. At this point you really can't argue that a character doesn't need a 50/50 unless they have some insane frame trap (like Liu Kang).

I also always wanted his Up Laser to work more like Jacqui's Up Rocket. If he could use it to pressure and get some frame advantage, that would be awesome.

His ball attacks should lead to something. He currently suffers the same issue he faced in MK9, in that his risk/reward is all out of whack. Anytime he uses a ball attack he either gets a tiny bit of damage or full-combo punished.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
which highs can be parried with lows and vice versa?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I have to go in detail about why EX Buff in Cutthroat is so bad since this is the thread for it. Prior you would either EX Buff for big damage, or get hit and waste a bar. The risk/reward was balanced. It's nowhere near broken because Cutthroat does noooo chip damage at all, needs meter for all non corner combos, and it takes TWO bars to be plus on block and then do a 40ish% combo. This just isn't working anymore.

Now in it's patched state you get 33% less damage (the same amount as regular buff) AND the same 15% damage over time health loss. So it's basically the exact same as regular buff, which equals the type of damage other cast members do anyway. The only upside? Being + on block. But you could already be more + on block doing EX Knives than almost every EX Buff block cancel lol. This has to change asap. I haven't used EX Buff in months because it just isn't worth it anymore.

Spend one bar to be plus on block, land a 50/50 (no block string options so it's literally a high/low guess), and do a 42% combo for another bar while losing 15% health is the strategy here lol. I can think the best ways to fix it is-

1) Increase damage like before, leave the damage over time.
2) Keep the lower damage currently, remove DoT.
3) Slightly increase damage, lower the damage over time.

Somehow, this needs to be fixed. Cutthroat would be so much better and it's probably the one and only change the variation needs.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
which highs can be parried with lows and vice versa?
Someone had a list a while back of all the high/lows that was reversed. I'll have to look for it. Commando is the variation I don't play so I'm not too sure, but I specifically remember Johnny and Erron being mentioned as two people who have reverse parries or a high/low that doesn't parry their attack in the proper directional input.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
pretty sure all of those were fixed in previous patches
Ah ok makes sense. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played Commando lol.

@MsMiharo from your testing did you find any other Commando high/low abnormalities or is everything smooth from the last patch?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I just want to watch the world burn. I also want Jax to have more plus frames, a damage boost, better zoning in all variations, his command grab in Wrestler to do 20% and not be a stupid input plus 15 more button presses, Jax to have a smaller hurtbox, better AA's, a low-hitting version of dash punch and EVERY move he has to be safe when EX'd

Im not asking for much.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It would be nice if Cybernetic and Commando had some sort of decent overhead options. At this point you really can't argue that a character doesn't need a 50/50 unless they have some insane frame trap (like Liu Kang).

I also always wanted his Up Laser to work more like Jacqui's Up Rocket. If he could use it to pressure and get some frame advantage, that would be awesome.

His ball attacks should lead to something. He currently suffers the same issue he faced in MK9, in that his risk/reward is all out of whack. Anytime he uses a ball attack he either gets a tiny bit of damage or full-combo punished.
Honestly Cybernetic and Commando really don't need overhead options, that's not where their problems lie. Commando's mixups come from parries and grabs from safe blockstrings, Cybernetic is about keepaway and zoning. If you want the overhead it's there in Cutthroat :p Cybernetic mainly just needs a damage boost and it's pretty much good to go and Commando just needs a few tweaks, more ticks would help.

Cool idea but Cyber's not about pressuring up close, maybe they would've given ex knives more advantage if that were the case lol. The restand still kind of confuses me because of this but I'm not arguing, no wakeups for them!

Ex ball cancel leads to a full combo though...
As a Kenshi main i died a bit reading this. :DOGE

(sorry for offtopic)
Be glad that was a parody post :confused:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
How dare you. Also make Lasers ran cancellable....haha.
Omg Kano run cancelssssssssssss. Yes I'll take it.

As I said after last patch WHY CANT'T WE GET BROKEN STUFF???? I WANT A NEW/IMPROVED D1??? I WANT RUN CANCELS, I WANT HITCONFIRMABLE EX LAUNCHERS, I WANT IT ALL

(Also for commando I made a thread on it. Choke needs some love. Also the gap in 112 is dumb)

commando kano nerf/fix suggestions:

- parry has to be MB to parry MB attacks.
- command throw now whiffs on crouching opponents as a throw should
- gap after mb ball cancel normalized so you can no more follow up with dash njp

i could go on but i dont wanna go too hard on you kano crybabies, so this should be enough to move him down to reasonable regions of the tier list.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
As per the TYM trend for non top tier characters, our beloved Kano who is currently listed only one tier above stankin, what would we like to see for him to rise up the ranks? Or at least become relevant in competitive play again. Any and all input welcome.

@Youphemism has a suggestion list. Here it is-

Kano:

General-

-Standing 1 changed from 8 frames to 7
-All whiffing issues fixed (like standing 2, which is an important normal, and non-Cybernetic knives which can whiff on crouch BLOCKING characters such as Scorpion)
-Hit and block reaction changed on F4 so that several moves will not whiff after it, either that or increase the range of said moves that can whiff when cancelled from F4 (like DB1 in Cybernetic).
-Whiff recovery from mb air ball halved.
-5 more frames of hitstun from ex ball cancel (this will make Commando bnbs easier to execute and allow Commando to tap in to a slightly higher damage output)
-Up Ball issues fixed (ie getting beat out by a lot of normals, variable startup with anywhere between 6 and 9(!) frames)

Cutthroat-

-Cutthroat - Ex buff's DoT effect removed

Cybernetic-

-Cybernetic - 2% damage increase to DF2 (and therefore 0.5% chip damage) increase to allow him to compete in zoning wars and actually have zoning worth worrying about
-Cybernetic - Slightly decreased damage scaling on 2+4MB launcher to allow him to have average combo damage and so his variation-specific combo extender isn't made redundant by his universal combo extender (ex ball cancel) since it currently does around the same damage
-Cybernetic - You can now choose where you'd like to place the opponent when doing Kano's 1+3 ender, 1+3B places them near you, 1+3F places them 3/4 screen. In its current state it leaves the opponent in an awkward position where nothing Kano has that's guaranteed reaches and where anything that does reach isn't guaranteed.
-Cybernetic - Slightly increased block advantage on ex knives (from +5 to +8)
-Cybernetic - MB Up Laser hit reaction changed/recovery reduced to allow for more consistent conversions

-Commando - Slightly decrease the damage scaling on 321+3MB so that the move isn't made redundant by ex ball cancel combos as they currently do more damage
-Commando - New tick throws implemented, either B1, F4, B3 or all of them (note: You might think I'm crazy but look at all the other grapplers and try telling me that'd be broken in comparison somehow)
-Commando - Parry inconsistencies fixed (ie being able to parry lows high but not low, vice versa)

@MsMiharo also adds-

-give command grabs more priority and make ex knives (commando/ct) function properly ie the mid is a true mid, doesn't whiff in the corner etc.

Quoting these two because I strongly agree with most of it and not sure what else I would add. Nothing too powerful or game breaking, but would go a long way towards giving the character a hand.
This character needs buffs commando especially! He has one launcher!off of his shittiest strings!and a launcher which is 112 ex bf3 dd dash njp which is so hard!How does he not need buffs in commando?