What's new

What is the learning curve for Tekken.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I really wanna get this game, but don't have the money right now. Is it $59.99 like most games when they come out?
You should be playing this, Chris lol. We have some strong Tekken players in Dave, Master D, John, and Ed. Plus my brother, if I can ever get him out there more.

I really wanna get this game, but don't have the money right now. Is it $59.99 like most games when they come out?
Yeah it is, but the game does have a lot of content. The AI isn't too bad either (pretty good), compared to the AI in MK. They do Bnb combos, whiff punish a lot, and it has a ghost system (ghost system is when the AI records your tendencies to play like you. I'm not sure if you can record your own, but you can face other players ghosts)

Like in tekken 6, my bro was playing ghost mode, and he faced my ghost. It did mix ups and dropped combos like how I always do lol

After watching this video, the most important thing to master is movement. Good movement is used to bait attacks, aids with proper spacing, which leads to high damage. I'll post this in the other thread as well:

Aris speaking on Movement:

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Here are the current two best tekken players in the world going for tekken god rank.
Yea, america is gonna have to hold that L for a long time. Movement like this hurts my fingers.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
You should be playing this, Chris lol. We have some strong Tekken players in Dave, Master D, John, and Ed. Plus my brother, if I can ever get him out there more.
I have pretty much owned every tekken that ever came out, and played them kind of alot actually. So I think I have an idea of what I'm doing in this game... But I have never played it competitively, only with friends. So I'm probably gonna lose alot lol. And I think my favorite characters are low tier

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I think im gonna get this game, hwoarang is gonna be one of my mains for sure, so far I like xiaoyu a lot as well.
Xiayou is so damn fun. She is better solo but most tourneys ban that so you need to have a partner with very strong TAs.

That being said, anyone have any idea who has the best TAs? lol

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
The akward moment when someone thinks they have good footsies, but in reality, they have very little to none.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
If anyone wants to play, shoot me a friend request. xX-NAKM-Xx

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
The movement is horrible too. Any game you have to watch a tutorial on how to move properly is designed poorly.
Aww, not true! I'm dizzappointed with your attitude!

And yes, I posted in this thread just to make that horrific pun.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
No, it is not lol. AE players hate on it because it's not AE. The game is actually good. It's a lot less lenient on players who don't have good footsies compared to AE, and a number of the game's problems were solved through the latest patch. Not to say footsies don't matter in AE, but in xT, you can't just focus through stuff.

About Forrest and Marshall, Marshall has stances, Forrest has feints.
Idk Dontay I will usually agree with you, but that game is just awful. Any game that got released 7 months ago and just became playable shows how bad it was. the focus attack system does make certain characters better than what they would have been without it, but it's way better than sf x t. Any game out is better than that game at least in my opinion. I wish they wouldn't have rushed it the way they did, or hype it up like that. Maybe then it wouldn't have been that bad.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Xiayou is so damn fun. She is better solo but most tourneys ban that so you need to have a partner with very strong TAs.

That being said, anyone have any idea who has the best TAs? lol
I'm just quoting you because you are asking about TA's

honestly, I feel like TA's are only good when you launch someone with Netsu. That way they lose the netsu and force your opponent into a very bad situation. Do I use tag crush? Or do I try and fight it out and tag out?

Landing a solo combo for around 80 damage puts them in the "death" zone... where any combo will kill them next.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Idk Dontay I will usually agree with you, but that game is just awful. Any game that got released 7 months ago and just became playable shows how bad it was. the focus attack system does make certain characters better than what they would have been without it, but it's way better than sf x t. Any game out is better than that game at least in my opinion. I wish they wouldn't have rushed it the way they did, or hype it up like that. Maybe then it wouldn't have been that bad.
Glitches and infinites aside, the game is still better than AE. SFIV now is so wakeup heavy...many of the top characters are top because of that. You can win off of one good knockdown. SFxT forces you to be good on your feet the entire match. It's way more honest.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I used to play Tekken A LOT back when Tekken 3 was in the arcades. I played the series up to 6, but it became pretty repetitive after 4. Game mechanics haven't changed a whole lot. You just have to understand how to sidestep (and to which side), then punish the hell out of someone. Once down on the ground, keep them down.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
well the top teirs in any game out right now pretty much do what they want inside reason. what makes top tiers great in AE are 3 frame reversals, and 4 stocks of meter plus an srk = a free mix-up. characters like seth. cammy, ryu, and adon really do what they please. seth has great damage, mix-up, FA, srk fadc, and a command grab. Cammy has viper's combos and dmg without feint cancels, back trow is free mixup, and the is neigh unpunishable by some of the cast, last pretty long , and has great range. Ryu has everything you could hope for, and Adon does dmg can't be reliably anti-aired. Even with all of that the game is still more sound than sf x t (still my opinion). Though sf has always been about hard knockdowns, and solid fundamentals and has always been a counter pick game. I feel like some characters in sf x t just don't have a chance like you just wouldn't pick some of them compared to others who do the same thing, but 10X better.

B Pryme

Noob
Lol, Where have your videos, tourney results, etc.. been. General pickup of this game is easier then other fighting games, yes I will give you that. However playing this game on a level of Dizzy, PL, CD jr, reo, is insanely hard and most of this community are no where near them. Stop acting like mk9 is brain dead easy or go to evo and prove it and win that money other wise go play gay lame ass tekken and stfu!!!!

Edit: not trying to be a douche, just sick of all these average (and i use that term lightly) mk players acting like mk is soooo easy, it's the same dumb shit as people downplaying pig of the hut because kenshi is "too easy". It's completely unjustified and arbitrary. If this game is that easy I expect to see the people saying this to invest in a tournament and win that money then???

B Pryme

Noob
Trolling or not, it does nothing productive for this forum, and some people saying this shit are not trolling. Nobody on this MK forum wants to hear you come on hear and bitch about how lame mk is or how easy it is or how doa or ttt2 etc... is better, because no one gives a fuck. These types of posts are annoying as shit. I come here for mk content, threads, videos etc... not to hear people bitching about how mk is easy or not fun, leave that shit at the door.....

/end rant

Zoidberg747

Trolling or not, it does nothing productive for this forum, and some people saying this shit are not trolling. Nobody on this MK forum wants to hear you come on hear and bitch about how lame mk is or how easy it is or how doa or ttt2 etc... is better, because no one gives a fuck. These types of posts are annoying as shit. I come here for mk content, threads, videos etc... not to hear people bitching about how mk is easy or not fun, leave that shit at the door.....

/end rant
MK is generally very easy to learn on a lower level because execution is usually not a factor(Kabal and Skarlett are still easier than a lot of characters in other games).

To play any game at a high level takes a lot of skills. Everyone knows that.

Espio

Kokomo
No reason to be upset about people saying MK is easy..a game being accessible to everyone is not an insult.

It's just different, really.

On topic, I am so curious about Zafina, Raven, Leo, Xiaoyu etc. I remember Leo seemed pretty accessible in Tekken 6.

Zoidberg747

No reason to be upset about people saying MK is easy..a game being accessible to everyone is not an insult.

On topic, I am so curious about Zafina, Raven, Leo, Xiaoyu etc. I remember Leo seemed pretty accessible in Tekken 6.
Ling and Zafina have a lot of stance changes. Dont know about the other two.

Flagg

Noob
MK is generally very easy to learn on a lower level because execution is usually not a factor(Kabal and Skarlett are still easier than a lot of characters in other games).

To play any game at a high level takes a lot of skills. Everyone knows that.
Skarlet kinda reminds me of a Tekken character actually, with her dash cancel juggles. Take away her daggers and I could see her being ported to Tekken quite easily.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Lol, Where have your videos, tourney results, etc.. been. General pickup of this game is easier then other fighting games, yes I will give you that. However playing this game on a level of Dizzy, PL, CD jr, reo, is insanely hard and most of this community are no where near them. Stop acting like mk9 is brain dead easy or go to evo and prove it and win that money other wise go play gay lame ass tekken and stfu!!!!

Edit: not trying to be a douche, just sick of all these average (and i use that term lightly) mk players acting like mk is soooo easy, it's the same dumb shit as people downplaying pig of the hut because kenshi is "too easy". It's completely unjustified and arbitrary. If this game is that easy I expect to see the people saying this to invest in a tournament and win that money then???

Skkra

PSN: Skkra

Espio is correct. When people (including me) say Tekken is "hard," it means hard to pick up. The learning curve is steep. Of course, ANY good competitive game is difficult to win at high level... MK9, TTT2, SF4, MVC3, etc etc etc.

Tekken is actually much like MK9 in that execution, outside of a select few characters, is quite simple. Honestly, the combos most players will ever need in TTT2 are straight braindead for the majority of the cast.

Espio, Leo isnt as hard to learn as the others. Raven has a LOT of options available to him so he'll require some serious play time to excel with. Xiaoyu has always been very difficult to use well due to the insanely number of options and transitions available.

Zafina isn't quite as bad as the others. I've been playing her since T6. Yes, she has 3 different stances, but only a small handful of moves from each stance are really useful, so you can start small. Her biggest asset is that her sidestep and backdash are both BIG and FAST. You can honestly just spend the majority of a match dancing around and whiff punishing. You barely need her (very mediocre) offense. You can find videos of UNCONKABLE playing Zafina/Jinpachi that should give you some ideas.

You have this game on PS3? We should play!