What's new

What is the learning curve for Tekken.

From gameplay it looks simple and slow paced like MK, just a bunch of kick and jabs nothing flashy, but apparently I've been informed it's a really tough fighting game, one of the hardest out there.

What aspects of the game make it tough? The execution, input commands?

Because I found Persona to be damned difficult, Lol.

Only game I've played is MK/Persona which I'm bad at.

Thinking of getting it.

Dont know much about tekken but I do know whiff punishing is very important in this game.

BTW how is mk slow paced lol, most characters have specials and other moves you cant block on reaction while street fighter and other fighting games have a lot of things you can react to

btw I do hear people say tekken is harder than those 2d games u mentioned, I dont know if it is true though.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
There is a lot of arbitrary things to learn. There is almost nothing that is "rule of thumb". The good (or bad) thing about this is that most of the game doesn't change from iteration to iteration so you essentially learn something once and you'll be able to use that information for the next X amount of Tekkens.

The movement is horrible too. Any game you have to watch a tutorial on how to move properly is designed poorly.

Dont know much about tekken but I do know whiff punishing is very important in this game.

BTW how is mk slow paced lol, most characters have specials and other moves you cant block on reaction while street fighter and other fighting games have a lot of things you can react to

btw I do hear people say tekken is harder than those 2d games u mentioned, I dont know if it is true though.
Slowed paced to Persona, the most recent FG I've played outside of MK. MK is slow as shit compared to that.

There is a lot of arbitrary things to learn. There is almost nothing that is "rule of thumb". The good (or bad) thing about this is that most of the game doesn't change from iteration to iteration so you essentially learn something once and you'll be able to use that information for the next X amount of Tekkens.

The movement is horrible too. Any game you have to watch a tutorial on how to move properly is designed poorly.
Are you planning on picking it up?

Hmm at the movement, that's funny there's a tutorial on movement, but apparently horrible movement give emphasis to "spacing" which I've also heard people say is a must to learn in this game.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The game is definitely not slow, either. Punishment, throw breaking and whiff punishment all require extremely on point reactions.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Been playing for the past couple hours. Much harder than i remember. The tag system is gonna take me a while to fully get used to.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
we need to play
Ill be back in 2 hours(dentist appointment and food) then ill make a room and invite some tekken and mk folks in with mics. The online is really really smooth....able to break throws and such. Still dropped every combo because its been about 2 years. Man its rough haha.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Ill be back in 2 hours(dentist appointment and food) then ill make a room and invite some tekken and mk folks in with mics. The online is really really smooth....able to break throws and such. Still dropped every combo because its been about 2 years. Man its rough haha.
You're about to put the hurt on me

for all those kenshi days :(

Haven't really played Tekken in years but I can say the reason people say it is hard is because of the knowledge of spacing required. I have a friend who is hardcore into Tekken and him and his crew always emphasize how important that is to the series.

Also, since a lot of characters have different stances(I always used either Lei or Lee), you will have to remember a lot of stuff for them. And even characters who don't specialize in stances(King for example) still have a lot of moves at their disposal. However, it's fair to say that you won't be using the majority of them anyways if you want to play the game competitively.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Whats harder in your guys' opinion, Tekken or Virtua Fighter? IMO the execution in Virtua Fighter is light years easier than Mortal Kombat, I can literally do any combo on first try even though most people say Virtua Fighter is one of the hardest fighting games there is. While its certainly deeper than MK, the actual inputs and execution is a lot easier

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I'm slow. It took me about 4 months of playing for it to actually click in and stop button mashing.

Each character has so many attacks. You have to learn the frame data what hits high, mid, low etc etc

But it's so worth the time.

I tried playing vf 5 when it came out and sadly I didn't like it At all. Tekken is great.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I used to really be into Tekken 2 and 3, but I haven't played since and I'm somewhat curious as to how much the game has changed since then. I was a complete noob back then and had no knowledge of spacing, footsies, and whiff punishing. I'll pick it up on Thursday.