What's new

Question What is the general consensus on the patches? And what should be added/removed?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You have to be very careful in touching his pokes. Even though his normal forward dashes were garbo, he had one of the best walk speeds in the game after start up.

More importantly, even with the bad dashes he's widely regarded as one of the most mobile characters in the game, besides Lao or Kabal.

As it is now, Rep can use his d3 as it's only 1 frame slower than your average d3. Between that, the armor on slide and dash, he could escape pressure

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, if course. Merely that MK9 Rep is a...tricky lizard to balance.
He'd be fine with a slightly longer dash, honestly, with elbow dash taking a hit on block recovery. Reptile's weird in that he has many aspects that cause him to not really fit the meta of MK9 at times, such as universal movement, and even poking. Theoretically, that shouldn't be a problem with dash being the way it is, but at times it tends to be. The poking issue isn't too big, but the mobility really hurts.

@just_2swift I think that would work, honestly.

THTB

Can you make Cyrax's B2 have less advantage on block? That may give an easier way out of this traps to Sektor and Shang:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/cyrax-meterless-corner-death-trap-vs-sektor-by-j360.27949/page-3
This infinite works largely because of the EX soul steal bug causing the second hit to not connect like it normally should. And unfortunately even if you reduce b2's hit advantage on a splat, there's still NJP splats, which I don't think can be altered.

@THTB vicinity blast a mid?
Yeah, it fits him pretty well, I think. It could be too good, but I doubt it, tbh.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
This infinite works largely because of the EX soul steal bug causing the second hit to not connect like it normally should. And unfortunately even if you reduce b2's hit advantage on a splat, there's still NJP splats, which I don't think can be altered.
Yeah, sorry, I messed up. I actually watched Shang's video first, but then at some point I got confused and thought it was the same setup with both Shang and Sektor. My bad.

Still, with B2 I meant on block. Sektor can get out of the trap if he blocks and jumps out, but it is very hard to pull off and Cyrax still has the advantage because he is +2 after a blocked B2. Reducing the block advantage of B2 would make jumping out easier. Granted, Cyrax could alter the timing to make it work, but it would at least be a guess bettwen jump or wakeup.

With Shang I have no idea how to fix it. I don't remember if he could jump out too but it doesnt seem like it. Maybe making EX ground skulls come out faster? It would trade with the bomb but would at least get you out of the trap. It's a shame the Soul Steal bug can't be fixed.

Edit:

Sektor's trap video:

Last edited:

THTB

Yeah, sorry, I messed up. I actually watched Shang's video first, but then at some point I got confused and thought it was the same setup with both Shang and Sektor. My bad.

Still, with B2 I meant on block. Sektor can get out of the trap if he blocks and jumps out, but it is very hard to pull off and Cyrax still has the advantage because he is +2 after a blocked B2. Reducing the block advantage of B2 would make jumping out easier. Granted, Cyrax could alter the timing to make it work, but it would at least be a guess bettwen jump or wakeup.

With Shang I have no idea how to fix it. I don't remember if he could jump out too but it doesnt seem like it. Maybe making EX ground skulls come out faster? It would trade with the bomb but would at least get you out of the trap. It's a shame the Soul Steal bug can't be fixed.

Edit:

Sektor's trap video:

The easiest fix to it is making one of their wakeup attacks faster. This is eating through the wakeup's invincibility frames.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
The reason why you can't get the subzero reset back is because they increased the duration of the freeze by 10 frames so @NSR If you can undo this it might work again.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
I was thinking of nerfing Cyrax's B2, not just to make it have less advantage on block, but also, nerfing it's damage output: this, along with bombs (typically regular bombs, but EX bombs also count) are one of the key components of Cyrax's high damage output. Given that I can't find the EX bomb damage value, B2's damage being nerfed could help making Cyrax's damage output far more manageable.
That, and nerfing D4's hit advantage, as well as B121.
@just_2swift
I'll see what I can do, I'm planning to go back to Sub-Zero anyways.

THTB

What are you planning to do with the command throw? If you nerf the advantage, I'd say buff the damage a little.

NSR

I'll think about it, but anyways, here are the Skarlet and Kratos changes:
Kratos
212's last hit is a bit faster, this is in order to make the gap smaller in the string.
B12 is faster.
F14's recovery frames on hit were reduced: This was done to prevent Kratos from being punished easily.
F2 is faster.
D1's recovery frames on block and on hit have been reduced.
D3 is faster.
D3's recovery frames on block, whiff and hit have been reduced.

Skarlet
B24 can now be special cancelled.
B24 is also faster, this is in order to remove the gap present in this string.
F212,1+2's first four hits damage on block was reduced to exactly 1%. This reduces the overall chip damage to 6%, from 8%.
F312's last two hits now hit Mid.
Armor duration of EX Crimson Dash heavily reduced. As a result, it can no longer be extended by an Up/Down Slash or a Slide.
Maximum XRay damage increased to 32% (if all hits connect), minimum XRay damage increased to 31%.
Teleport (on ground, Non EX only) speed slightly increased.
Teleport (on ground, Non EX only)'s recovery frames on block and whiff slightly increased.
She uses the normal version of her 1st fatality on Kratos now.

I have to say, Kratos' vars are a bit odd: there's no colsize data for 11, so I couldn't do anything about that, and the hitbreakframe data for B12...controls how many frames the opponent has to go through, not how many frames Kratos has to go through on hit. Why isn't it labelled victim_breakframe like all the others? (victim break frame I believe stands for how many frames the opponent has to go through on certain attacks. Not all characters have this type of data, however)
B1B4 is completely absent, again, oddly enough.
As for Skarlet, the XRay damage scaling is a bit odd, if all the hits connect, but there's no hashes for the hits damage before the actual XRay. No real dagger toss damage hashes (at least, they may be there, most likely, but unhashed/still encrypted) but there's a multiplier of sorts, for dagger01. I decided not to touch that, and I'll leave that for a future update. There are also references to blackball (???) at the beginning of her tweakvars. There are references to bloodball, but nothing in regards to damage. As for the Teleport, the reason why the block and whiff have been modified...is because she only has two types of breakframe data for that move: hitbreakframe and, just breakframe, which controls how many recovery frames she has to go through on whiff and block. EX version also behaves the same way. At least for the ground versions (there's only 2 speed hashes for air_teleport_drop, and no mention of an EX version).
So, 4 characters left. Rain, Raiden, Liu Kang and Scorpion. Scorpion probably needs the most work out of the four, Kang, Rain and Raiden are fairly well balanced out, for the most part, so they'll get minor adjustments here and there.

NSR

So, in regards to Raiden, it seems that his vicinity blast colsize(hitbox) seems to handle the EX version, but not the non EX version (or at least it doesn't seem to affect it that much). So I made only the EX Rain's EX lightning speed values handles the speed of the animation when he's doing the strikes, not the startup itself.
Anyways, here are the last characters!
Raiden
EX Vicinity Blast now hits Mid.
The hitbox of EX Vicinity Blast has been adjusted so it does not whiff on crouching opponents.

Rain
Walkspeed is slightly faster (both forwards and backwards).
D3's recovery frames on whiff, block and hit have been reduced.
He uses the normal version of his 1st fatality on Kratos now.

Liu Kang
EX and non EX Parry have faster startup.
To counteract this and to prevent the Parry from being too spammable, both versions' recovery frames on whiff have been increased.

Scorpion
D4's recovery frames on whiff, hit and block have been reduced.
D3's recovery frames on whiff, hit and block have been reduced.
F214's last hit is now special cancellable, but only the teleport (both versions) will hit the opponent.
To further complement the change above, F214's last hit is faster.
F4 is slightly quicker.
Spear (both versions) recovery frames on block have been reduced.

Yep,all 32 characters have been rebalanced. I'm going to polish up some of the characters (namely Kabal, Cyrax, Kano, and Sub-Zero, then I'll see what can I do for Mileena, possibly Ermac, Sindel and Cyber Sub-Zero) and then port the changes to their alternate costumes. After that, get hyped! (Hell, I'm hyped as hell given how close I'm to finishing the initial release)

NSR

I realized i'm not going to make it to the deadline, so, I chose instead to focus on Kabal, Cyrax and Kano, here's what I was able to accomplish with them:
Kabal
Gas Blast (on ground) damage has been reduced by 4%. It does 5% now.
EX Gas Blast (on ground) damage has been reduced by 4%, it does 9% now.

I couldn't find the Air Gas Blast (literally, it's nowhere in the vars. I'm already fearing a Cyrax situation with this. I was able to find one of the EX hits damage values, but that's about it)

Kano
EX Ball is now unblockable from the get go, no need to hold it for a certain amount of time to make it unblockable.
B112's last hit is now special cancellable.

Cyrax
B2 now does 5% total if both hits connect (1st hit was reduced to 1%, while the bomb explosion/2nd hit was reduced to 4%)
D4's recovery frames on whiff, hit and block have been increased.
B1's recovery frames on hit have been increased.
Wasn't able to find that much data on B121, so, sorry!

I'll focus on porting the changes done to their alternate costumes, that way I can get it done by tomorrow.

NSR

yes I did, a while ago.
here are his changes:
Freddy Krueger
Recovery frames on block increased on Hell Spike (EX and non EX versions)
Damage of Freddy Fingers (EX and non EX) was reduced: non EX does 6%, while EX does 10%. Block damage has been left untouched.
He now uses the normal version of his fatalities on Kratos.

The last one was recently added, but yeah, that's about it.

NSR

Oh man, Sub-Zero's alternate costumes are complete!
I altered the D4 data, so it has lesser recovery frames on hit, block and whiff.
I also added a new intro for Costume 2, using previously unused audio leftovers.
I'm going to shit my pants from the excitement, can't believe it's happening!
Ok, gotta cool down, keep working hehe.
If everything goes well, the mod should be uploaded by tomorrow in the morning. There will be a new thread once the mod is uploaded, so stay tuned.
It's happening, baby!

NSR

Hit a bit of a delay, I'm going to have to take another day to get the mod done. Sorry guys

NSR

The mod has been uploaded to MEGA, however, due to legal reasons, I can't post/send a link (I've already told you guys about this, just a reminder)
I'm trying to make it easier to find via search engines.
The name of the mod is MK9 Trilogy Edition (only for PS3, for now).

NSR

Tim Static has already clarified me the situation: it's possible to discuss the mod all day along, just as long as we don't post anything regarding to the download link, or any forum that condones said activities and allows linking of said mod.
I'm sorry it had to be this way, but oh well. Thankfully, we can still discuss the mod.

NSR

actually, videos are allowed, as long as no DL link is posted in the video or it's description, it's all fair game.
same thing goes with pictures.

NSR

I do have a youtube channel, and I'm intending to post a video there, showcasing off parts of the mod, but be patient. Since I was planning to add a DL link there, you most likely won't see the video here.