What's new

What do you expect to see in MK9's evolution in 2-3 years?

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I think the next big step for quality of play will be characters that get burned by neutral crouch (i.e. Kitana) figuring out new ways around it. The evolution of the MK9 footsies game is going to be figuring out how to not get uppercutted or poked out of high whiff strings. More setups and gimmicks for all characters. As the entire community levels up, brain dead pressure wont work. All characters will need a handful of gimmicks and traps to set up their pressure. And dont just mean Quan or NW. Everyones strings will be so dissected, that you will need to setup something just to get in for pressure.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I think the next big step for quality of play will be characters that get burned by neutral crouch (i.e. Kitana) figuring out new ways around it. The evolution of the MK9 footsies game is going to be figuring out how to not get uppercutted or poked out of high whiff strings. More setups and gimmicks for all characters. As the entire community levels up, brain dead pressure wont work. All characters will need a handful of gimmicks and traps to set up their pressure. And dont just mean Quan or NW. Everyones strings will be so dissected, that you will need to setup something just to get in for pressure.
Unfortunately with the way dash crouching works (it doesn't) characters that get exposed to neutral crouching will never truly be exposed. Kitty is exceptionally good at stuffing advancement with her spear of a d1. Then she has b3 to check you on neutral. A lot of kitty players are utilizing the b3 now to make sure you stay blocking. If you could dash backwards and duck, it would be different since you could move away from the b3 or advance forward and duck under a 2 etc. Unfortunately the games mechanics to not allow this.

Flagg

Noob
That's what I was thinking...something around EX skull but it seems as someone posted, if you time it correctly you can do it during a trance so you recover from skeletal boost just as the trance ends. How come nobody does this?
The start up frames for trance are quite slow, you'll be hit in the face with a projectile if you deliberate try and trade before the animation completes. It's one of those situations where you just both throw a projectile out and you both get clobbered. Dont think you can really scout it, though I guess you could on slow ones like acid ball or csz ice ball.

One of my favourite QC combos jip, B21, dash, B21, dash, B11 trance, jip, B11 rune. Does about 42%. If you're boosted, this does 55%.

EX boost should be safer. You're spending a bar after all, and if you get hit or forced to block before you attack, you lose the boost ability anyway.

LEGEND

YES!
10 characters can full combo the F413, I'd say thats 10 bad matches automatically.

Kenshi can D1 shoulder after every blockstring Jax does to get away safely, so I cant see that being even, its not hard to stay within shoulder range and still avoid the dash punch against Jax.

Kenshi is probably more dominant in the corner too, since he can do it meterless and bait dash punches in a range where another shoulder will beat it out.

Rain vs Jax I'd probably give to Rain since they both do rediculous shit in the corner (Jaxs resets vs Rains meterless 55%)

But again, Rain wins midscreen, GP attempts get lightning as a response, 4RH is also a better whiff punisher. Rain doing nearly 3x the damage midscreen is a massive edge.

So thats 12 matches I wouldnt want to be the Jax player.

Jax only has a future in this game as long as people are ignorant on how to beat him.
we are beyond that, Jax has adapted to his weaknesses

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Somebody will win a major with Jade eliminating armies of Kabals and Kenshis using some yet undiscovered tech.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
what i was trying to say is this is kungs main meter building tool and to make it safe and even useable is to land the 50/50, the over head alone does 11%. i ve been trying to use this in my game, and when i do go for the 50/50 i make sure im close to a breaker so if it lands i get close to a free bar if not i can break.
Neither option on the 50/50 is safe nor is it overly hard to block considering how big of a gap there is in the string when you go for the overhead, the only way to make 21212 truly safe is to cancel it into EX Teleport. If you're gonna go for a risk like that you might as well just go all in and spin.

NKZero

Noob
How does he get around that problem? I'm sure F4-energy wave can avoid a full combo punish right? But still can be interrupted by a low poke.

True MeNaCe thanks man but I just found it anyways looking on youtube. It looked really cool it should be done more often instead of insta-rune trapping every time.

Reactions: SLy

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Takeachance - agreed. But thats just the first step. Kit cant be all B3 and D1. And my post goes for all characters. I just think more and more strings are going to get blown up for being true highs, and people will continue to adapt. Otherwise i think the footsie game will get stale.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Everything he does is high, alot of characters will just stand up and punish anything he does. You cant avoid a weakness that is so deeply embedded in the character.

All of his other strings are ass anyway.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
- Kano will win a major
- Kabal and Kenshi will finally be non-issues
- CSZ will be the dominant cyborg
- ETC McFly will still make KungLao videos referencing The Matrix

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Everything he does is high, alot of characters will just stand up and punish anything he does. You cant avoid a weakness that is so deeply embedded in the character.

All of his other strings are ass anyway.
You underestimate how badly Jax rapes high hitboxes. Getting stuck in the corner against Jax with a high hitbox and no good armored move is a BIG problem. Jax is one of the worst designs in the game imo because of the drastic differences in his MUs based solely on the hitbox

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
You underestimate how badly Jax rapes high hitboxes. Getting stuck in the corner against Jax with a high hitbox and no good armored move is a BIG problem. Jax is one of the worst designs in the game imo because of the drastic differences in his MUs based solely on the hitbox
I understand how it works for those with high hitboxes, but theres 10 characters that skew it the other way for having a low hitbox, and those 10 are more common in tournament than your fish like Sheeva, Baraka, Kano etc which have no real impact on the way tournaments go.

Some of the other high hitbox characters have options to get him off after 1 move anyway.
Kenshi does for near enough no risk, D1 shoulder cant be stopped by Jax.
Kitana does on a guess that is more in her favour than Jax's in D1 cutter.
Liu has an 8f combo starter 213

Shang I can see getting butt raped by it, as well as CSZ, SZ and pretty much all the ninjas bar Reptile and Rain.

You're right though, Jax has a terrible design, free to many, hell to others.
Probably better off just getting knocked down by him than taking his blockstrings TBH.

I think P1 advantage probably the biggest issue concerning Jax. If he has it against these characters then its party time, if he doesnt then he can just get annihalated.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
You think he would still be looked at as a fish even later on?
Definitely, Kenshi is basically a super Baraka.
Barakas footsies are average at best, all he has is blade charge, which isnt really THAT much of a threat. His 5050s are ok, but since he cant reset off of both of them midscreen it takes away from what it could of been, also theres the fact that he needs meter to make his F2 any good.

He has good pokes, but good pokes arent what wins characters matches.

Can f4,df1 be interrupted and if it can is it a full combo punish or just a jab/uppercut? It seems like it would be pretty tough to punish on reaction since its so fast though

LEGEND

YES!
I understand how it works for those with high hitboxes, but theres 10 characters that skew it the other way for having a low hitbox, and those 10 are more common in tournament than your fish like Sheeva, Baraka, Kano etc which have no real impact on the way tournaments go.

Some of the other high hitbox characters have options to get him off after 1 move anyway.
Kenshi does for near enough no risk, D1 shoulder cant be stopped by Jax.
Kitana does on a guess that is more in her favour than Jax's in D1 cutter.
Liu has an 8f combo starter 213

Shang I can see getting butt raped by it, as well as CSZ, SZ and pretty much all the ninjas bar Reptile and Rain.

You're right though, Jax has a terrible design, free to many, hell to others.
Probably better off just getting knocked down by him than taking his blockstrings TBH.

I think P1 advantage probably the biggest issue concerning Jax. If he has it against these characters then its party time, if he doesnt then he can just get annihalated.
You covered alot of what i was going to say in this post

Kitana's D1-Cutter doesn't work though, you either scout the D1 and punish it before Cutter even comes out or you dial in F41 and Block so if she does indeed interrupt you the cutter will be blocked and your back at advantage cause she has to respect your 8 frame low

The Jax kenshi MU is more about wiff punishes in zoning, and the corner positioning, But P1 does really play a big part up close as you mentioned
-

Anyway, i don't think top 10 is that far out of the question wether you understand how Jax is played at the highest level or not. Me saying possibly only 4 Bad MUs is an optimistic view of how things can develop if Jax is perfected in years to come, and doesn't really have to tie in with my prediction. Jax MUs may not be easy, but he always has a option/counter for his weaknesses, I don't think one counter to something he doesn't even have to use makes a MU bad

Johnny Joestar

REMOVE KUHBAWL
Denzel's already pretty damn aggressive with him...
More aggressive than that, lol. I never see Sub-Zero's highest damaging combos in tournaments cause of clone setups and meter management. Sometimes players even go for setups when a fullcombo would kill the opponent. You gotta take risks.