What's new

Question - Fisticuffs What changes would you do to Fisticuffs?

@ismael4790 @Wigy @Rodney Quillz
Get off the "cry for buffs" circle jerk, what the fuck is this thread seriously wanting like 8 or 9 frame b121 which is -1 on block for all hits? What about fist bump being activated after nutpunch? We dont even get a jump in off that any more (RIP MK9) so come on really? Changes to stuff like f3 frames to get in safely? Hmm ok...
If you cant see why it got nerfed the way it did then you obviously have never seen top players try to react to mid hitting armour breaking stagger strings in ~10-15 frames. Oh wait you have... that was "hype"!
I didn't say I agreed with all the buffs in this thread, you implied it.

You still haven't explained why he is "good" the way he is by the way. Are you scared of people poking holes in your argument?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I think they should have given fisticuffs one of the two nerfs, but not both.

The reality is that DJT got this character nerfed, and there wasn't long enough for people to develop defense.
That buff to the blockstun frames got it nerfed not DJT. It used to be too fast and too quick blockstun that nobody could react lol how is that hype or pressure? It was seriously strong.

@everyone else on my back go.find the older #bufffisticuffs thread, stop making these threads please, yes we all saw the kitana and the pig whining do work but cmon its old and makes you look like a bunch of 6 year olds

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
It's adorable when a Know-Nothing gets salty.
Go read mk9 character forums in the games prime and you see theres actual tech and discussion not just a bunch of shit lords crying into each others arms about how they got a nerf. Tym has gone to shit and being over run by whining rather than leveling up, its laughable but really just quite sad.

Go read mk9 character forums in the games prime and you see theres actual tech and discussion not just a bunch of shit lords crying into each others arms about how they got a nerf. Tym has gone to shit and being over run by whining rather than leveling up, its laughable but really just quite sad.

you should chill more, this seems way to important to you man ^^

Wigy

There it is...
I agree man, i\m not making these threads but if there i'll comment for just the sake of discussion.

But i make matchup discussions, asking for help and just get told to level up lol.

The site has gone to shit in general.

But if you're saying fisticuffs is fine you're kidding yourself.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I agree man, i\m not making these threads but if there i'll comment for just the sake of discussion.

But i make matchup discussions, asking for help and just get told to level up lol.

The site has gone to shit in general.

But if you're saying fisticuffs is fine you're kidding yourself.
Its as fine as it ever will be until people start playing the game in its current state instead of just campaigning for buffs. Its the mindset that annoys me, nobody has had any meaningful discission about fisticuffs at all apart from why the nerf wasnt justified (it was lol) ir why it needs buffs (which it likely wont get)

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
@ismael4790 @Wigy @Rodney Quillz
Get off the "cry for buffs" circle jerk, what the fuck is this thread seriously wanting like 8 or 9 frame b121 which is -1 on block for all hits? What about fist bump being activated after nutpunch? We dont even get a jump in off that any more (RIP MK9) so come on really? Changes to stuff like f3 frames to get in safely? Hmm ok...
If you cant see why it got nerfed the way it did then you obviously have never seen top players try to react to mid hitting armour breaking stagger strings in ~10-15 frames. Oh wait you have... that was "hype"!
This is not a "cry for buffs" thread, it's a thread that points out the obvious fact that fisticuffs needs help and motivates the users to propose changes to help him.
I'm not sure if you don't get this, or if you just are a player who got beated too much by fisticuffs xD
Anyway, still waiting for your justification of that "Cage is fine as is".

P.F.

Noob
If they won't reverse the nerf they did on Fisti, maybe just remove the Fist Bump move and make it passive. As it stands Flame Fist Kang is way better in the chip department and Johnny's knuckles are just for show. The hitbox fixes should not be considered 'buffs', as I doubt the creators intended the large majority of his strings to whiff on all chars that aren't Jason/Kotal.

Cage doesn't really need any major changes outside of this. It would give him a solid chance against the stronger members of the cast.

Last edited:

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I didn't say I agreed with all the buffs in this thread, you implied it.

You still haven't explained why he is "good" the way he is by the way. Are you scared of people poking holes in your argument?
He still has the same pressure he always did, just the opponent now has a fair chance of getting out when they see you stagger instead of having to be near frame perfect reaction time before. When you get a nutpunch you can still go for 11/113/f2/throw as you always could, and now you also have a quick mid string which breaks some characters armoured moves and mainly has the benefit that you cant poke under it. Now you stagger with d4/d3/blocking/running more often rather than just with b12 b12 b121 b12121 b121 etc. for "pressure" (abusing small blockstun/fast startup multi hitting mids isnt pressure btw, it was dumb) Now you actually have to stop pushing buttons and block, or counterpoke with armour if you make a good read, its not just mashing until they get hit and you dial into a nutpunch. His chip buff isnt perfect but it lets you get like 3-5% chip with every b121 rep safely with very very little risk, which you can set up in the corner from your hitconfirmed combos, and then if you want read what your opponent will do to get out or counter then you can act on that. His zoning is the best out of the 3 variations, his forceballs do good damage and chip, cover good ranges and areas on the screen, and you can actually run away on a life lead and trade with people unlike stunts.
@ismael4790 I play only cage since the first day Ive had this game in all 3 variations, he doesnt have the same kind of dirt that some characters do but he can compete at every level with the right mindset and some of the ideas in this thread are an outrage. Triple chip buff, + on block activation etc? Have you guys even considered what kind of dumb shit that means? You get like your 25% combo into nutpunch, do some b1212~fist bump (which is + on block lol) then use your b12121 which hits mid, breaks armour and now does TRIPLE CHIP? Get real man, honestly I know fisticuffs COULD do with some changes, but mostly just would be nicer if his strings hit crouching chicks so we can get dat sweet sweet 114 + frames all day.

Wigy

There it is...
He still has the same pressure he always did, just the opponent now has a fair chance of getting out when they see you stagger instead of having to be near frame perfect reaction time before. When you get a nutpunch you can still go for 11/113/f2/throw as you always could, and now you also have a quick mid string which breaks some characters armoured moves and mainly has the benefit that you cant poke under it. Now you stagger with d4/d3/blocking/running more often rather than just with b12 b12 b121 b12121 b121 etc. for "pressure" (abusing small blockstun/fast startup multi hitting mids isnt pressure btw, it was dumb) Now you actually have to stop pushing buttons and block, or counterpoke with armour if you make a good read, its not just mashing until they get hit and you dial into a nutpunch. His chip buff isnt perfect but it lets you get like 3-5% chip with every b121 rep safely with very very little risk, which you can set up in the corner from your hitconfirmed combos, and then if you want read what your opponent will do to get out or counter then you can act on that. His zoning is the best out of the 3 variations, his forceballs do good damage and chip, cover good ranges and areas on the screen, and you can actually run away on a life lead and trade with people unlike stunts.
@ismael4790 I play only cage since the first day Ive had this game in all 3 variations, he doesnt have the same kind of dirt that some characters do but he can compete at every level with the right mindset and some of the ideas in this thread are an outrage. Triple chip buff, + on block activation etc? Have you guys even considered what kind of dumb shit that means? You get like your 25% combo into nutpunch, do some b1212~fist bump (which is + on block lol) then use your b12121 which hits mid, breaks armour and now does TRIPLE CHIP? Get real man, honestly I know fisticuffs COULD do with some changes, but mostly just would be nicer if his strings hit crouching chicks so we can get dat sweet sweet 114 + frames all day.
I agree half the buff suggestions were retarded but you're kidding yourself if you think b121 is viable now, its a complete gimmick, its -3 and jcs normals are all average speed, if he does b12 and staggers you can poke out on reaction, not to mention you can armour out after a few reps to be full punished.

Its an average at best pressure string which is what the whole variation is based around.

his 11(3) 11 (f2) is leagues better than b12.

Why use fisticuffs when i have endless + on block frames with a list, some decent + on block stuff and 40% meterless BNB's on SD.

You're coming out with examples of medicore uses of fisticuffs, none of which are as good as his universal pressure string mixups and completely ignoring the strengths of the other two variations.

If i had to rank the variations in the game out of 10, a list would be like 7 sd would be 6.5 and fisticuffs would be about 4.5

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Tbh though. What could quan have done? Just frame uppercut. Thats it

And since it was 0 on block and 9 frames that would be a read not reaction.

So its basically a just frame guessing game that leads to 30% on hit and if u by some miracle landed the uppercut thats 14% but you're still in the corner

Lets not play that down, that was crazy dumb.

BUT since he was fine in other matchups that nerf should have come with a buff
Yes but Tempest just does that to everybody and it's still going. I agree that Speedbag should have been nerfed but imo they took it slightly too far.

Wigy

There it is...
Yes but Tempest just does that to everybody and it's still going. I agree that Speedbag should have been nerfed but imo they took it slightly too far.
He needs bar to do it and he has no 50/50.

It should have stayed 9 frames and only been -2 in my opinion but c'est la vie

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
He needs bar to do it and he has no 50/50.

It should have stayed 9 frames and only been -2 in my opinion but c'est la vie
As if bar is an issue for Tempest. Cage does not have a 50/50, but Tempest has better corner carry, footsies, and meterless damage on top of have having a string that is essentially SpeedBag but without any pushback/holes and several of the staggers are plus on block. To my knowledge it also doesn't get fucked by low-hitbox characters.

In the corner you can't wake up against him and throws are god like, so he doesn't have an OH/Low 50/50 but when you're forced to eat grabs all day it doesn't matter in his game.

DJT got the character nerfed, let's not pretend as if NRS would have just nerfed him if it wasn't for DJT.

I agree with you about how it should have been.

P.F.

Noob
As if bar is an issue for Tempest. Cage does not have a 50/50, but Tempest has better corner carry, footsies, and meterless damage on top of have having a string that is essentially SpeedBag but without any pushback/holes and several of the staggers are plus on block. To my knowledge it also doesn't get fucked by low-hitbox characters.

In the corner you can't wake up against him and throws are god like, so he doesn't have an OH/Low 50/50 but when you're forced to eat grabs all day it doesn't matter in his game.

DJT got the character nerfed, let's not pretend as if NRS would have just nerfed him if it wasn't for DJT.

On that note I find it funny that Hat Trick (which no one is questioning is an underplayed variation) gets buffs and such while there are many characters on the roster which have three underplayed variations. The trend seems to be 'tweak top tiers and ignore/nerf mid tiers', aside from some freak cases like Shinnok and Kitana.

Wigy

There it is...

Vanilla b12 was better than 112124 in my opinion

Wigy

There it is...
On that note I find it funny that Hat Trick (which no one is questioning is an underplayed variation) gets buffs and such while there are many characters on the roster which have three underplayed variations. The trend seems to be 'tweak top tiers and ignore/nerf mid tiers', aside from some freak cases like Shinnok and Kitana.
Ye lol i was thinking this, like they seem to just not give two shits about half the cast and mega buff/nerf the rest

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Goro's in trouble? The Ice Clone doesn't work properly?

Better buff Kung Lao.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I agree half the buff suggestions were retarded but you're kidding yourself if you think b121 is viable now, its a complete gimmick, its -3 and jcs normals are all average speed, if he does b12 and staggers you can poke out on reaction, not to mention you can armour out after a few reps to be full punished.

Its an average at best pressure string which is what the whole variation is based around.

his 11(3) 11 (f2) is leagues better than b12.

Why use fisticuffs when i have endless + on block frames with a list, some decent + on block stuff and 40% meterless BNB's on SD.

You're coming out with examples of medicore uses of fisticuffs, none of which are as good as his universal pressure string mixups and completely ignoring the strengths of the other two variations.

If i had to rank the variations in the game out of 10, a list would be like 7 sd would be 6.5 and fisticuffs would be about 4.5
Its average because it has to be, if its anything like it was before the nerf then its proven to be stupid. You cant expect people to react to something that has tiny blockstun and fast startup, with no stopping/starting animation or cue. Its unreasonable to believe that you dont see how there is a mixup to be had here as well like i have stated already. If your opponents gonna armour out of your gimmick then block and punish his armour, and it stops being a gimmick. If they want to poke them you can block it to get back on the advantage, or counterpoke with armour to start a combo and nutpunch them, where they have to face the same situation again except this time they are probably hesitant to poke you with bars.

Its not perfect by any means, no, its not tragic though... it does what it says on the tin which is be a quick multihitting mid string which you can stop at any point safely and have some good chip damage or hitconfirm. You just need to put some thought into how you are using it and what you are trying to achieve now, for example if you want to push them out of range and do like 2% chip then sure you can just run up to someone and spam b12121 in their face and hope for the best, but its not safe to do that any more so you have to start putting work in. Go find me any character in the game that can push buttons while they are -frames in your face and get away with it because its "pressure" raidens f1 got made a high to avoid this, cages b1 got its frames gutted for the same reason, its dumb and shouldnt ever work.

Wigy

There it is...
Its average because it has to be, if its anything like it was before the nerf then its proven to be stupid. You cant expect people to react to something that has tiny blockstun and fast startup, with no stopping/starting animation or cue. Its unreasonable to believe that you dont see how there is a mixup to be had here as well like i have stated already. If your opponents gonna armour out of your gimmick then block and punish his armour, and it stops being a gimmick. If they want to poke them you can block it to get back on the advantage, or counterpoke with armour to start a combo and nutpunch them, where they have to face the same situation again except this time they are probably hesitant to poke you with bars.

Its not perfect by any means, no, its not tragic though... it does what it says on the tin which is be a quick multihitting mid string which you can stop at any point safely and have some good chip damage or hitconfirm. You just need to put some thought into how you are using it and what you are trying to achieve now, for example if you want to push them out of range and do like 2% chip then sure you can just run up to someone and spam b12121 in their face and hope for the best, but its not safe to do that any more so you have to start putting work in. Go find me any character in the game that can push buttons while they are -frames in your face and get away with it because its "pressure" raidens f1 got made a high to avoid this, cages b1 got its frames gutted for the same reason, its dumb and shouldnt ever work.
I agree, but the ENTIRE variation revolves around it. Its not worth it.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I agree, but the ENTIRE variation revolves around it. Its not worth it.
Its not worth it unless you enjoy the playstyle and enjoy forcing people into that situation over and over, but if were all playing whats "worth it" then we can just delete 3/4's of the cast from the game now. These threads are still dumb and the shit people are asking for is comical. Nobody has any idea what a balanced game looks like and I dont claim to either, but its not one where fisticuffs can put up his chip buff in combos or after a nutpunch, and it sure as hell wasnt pre-nerf b1212.

In my opinion before anyone can cry for buffs to their character, NRS should figure out a way to make this game more fundamental based rather than having to watch people play footsies with neutral jump punches or just jump back and forward mashing 2 and get 40% when your opponent makes the mistake of thinking this is like any other 2d fighter on the market and tries to anti air him.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I don't see any nonsense in a buff like triple chip for fistbump, for example.
Would be a problem if it was combined with old speedbag. But nobody said all suggestions in the thread should be applied together xD

Smokey, I know there are problems in the backbone of this game, like jumpins and njps being too powerful, and antiairs being really bad. But sadly I doubt these things can change, so we give ideas about things that can actually change.

I Am The LK

Here my battle cry (Meow)
Everyone just shut the fuck up. Cage needs his fix on the hitboxes and a slight buff on the fisticuffs. Make his fist bump faster. And his speedbag back to the old ways. BUT LEAVE IT AT -2. Down from -3