What's new

Question - Fisticuffs What changes would you do to Fisticuffs?

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Im just being realistic. Its NRS they are unbelievably lazy, unless you're the kitana or kenshi community and cry 24/7
It's sad we might have to cry to get a fix... A FIX!!!

Then again, DJT's made Cage pop up in Top 8's before so we're pretty much boned as far as fixes or buffs go. I'm sure NRS believes he's "fine".

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I definitely feel you now but I still say its a general game fix not Johnny himself
Oh no, I completely agree. This should be fixed across the board. Please don't misunderstand my intent! The only thing I took issue with was Cage being "fine". Even in his current state, a good Cage can still kick and scream and claw his way to a victory over anyone... it's just not consistent.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Ey Dvorah got a roll back .. You never know
Dvorah was different. Her tools, damage, pressure, etc. didn't really change. All NRS did by nerfing her was raise her already fairly demanding execution. It was universally agreed upon that making a character harder to play is dumb. It's one of the things that bugs me about Shinnok crybabies. If his pressure was exactly the same, but much harder to do consistantly, it would be as big of a deal. If it's doable, people will practice to the point of mastery.

Reactions: GAV

Wigy

There it is...
It's sad we might have to cry to get a fix... A FIX!!!

Then again, DJT's made Cage pop up in Top 8's before so we're pretty much boned as far as fixes or buffs go. I'm sure NRS believes he's "fine".
Prepatch fisticuffs.

He used him against quan mostly which was horrible for quan and nobody knew the matchup as well as other characters.

JC hasn't been placing in tourneys for a while now...

Also djt is just too good.

Somethigs gotta be changed for jc

ASMA

Noob
Dvorah was different. Her tools, damage, pressure, etc. didn't really change. All NRS did by nerfing her was raise her already fairly demanding execution. It was universally agreed upon that making a character harder to play is dumb. It's one of the things that bugs me about Shinnok crybabies. If his pressure was exactly the same, but much harder to do consistantly, it would be as big of a deal. If it's doable, people will practice to the point of mastery.
I see whatchu mean .. Now I'm kinda sold on seeing it changed back

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Fisticuffs was his most hype variation. You had to get deep, but the payoff was hype!!!

I think NRS has done a nice job tweaking, but they messed up on Fisticuffs JC - IMO.

Remember how hype DJT's Fisticuffs was? NRS should want more of that, not less.

I'm not saying that he should've been buffed, but don't mess him up either.

By nerfing his best thing, they took away what fundamentally made the character - and that's always a mistake.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Prepatch fisticuffs.
He used him against quan mostly which was horrible for quan and nobody knew the matchup as well as other characters.
Exactly. Quan Chi was an awful choice vs Cage, and DJT is an excellent player.
A character shouldn't be nerfed because of a player showing a great execution and other player choosing a bad matchup xD

Fisticuffs was his most hype variation. You had to get deep, but the payoff was hype!!!
I think NRS has done a nice job tweaking, but they messed up on Fisticuffs JC - IMO.
Remember how hype DJT's Fisticuffs was? NRS should want more of that, not less.
I'm not saying that he should've been buffed, but don't mess him up either.
By nerfing his best thing, they took away what fundamentally made the character - and that's always a mistake.
That's it. In a game full of 50/50's, this variation had a unique tool that allowed him to compete vs that with another kind of threat. Was quite silly to nerf it so bad.

Wigy

There it is...
Exactly. Quan Chi was an awful choice vs Cage, and DJT is an excellent player.
A character shouldn't be nerfed because of a player making showing a great execution and other player choosing a bad matchup xD
I duno, it was a retarded matchup. But otherwise he was absolutely fine, so its rediculous they nerfed it and gave him nothing back.

ismael4790

Nrs has lots of options for the next patch with Fisticuffs. The most disappointing (besides another nerf xD) would be that they ignored him...

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Let's look back...
I just don't get hpw NRS would look at this and not want more like this, not less.

That was true hype!!! No one hated it. There wasn't a negative outcry. That outcry was positively hype.

ismael4790

Let's look back...
I just don't get hpw NRS would look at this and not want more like this, not less.

That was true hype!!! No one hated it. There wasn't a negative outcry. That outcry was positively hype.
This was total hype. 50/50s versus speedbag pressure. Nice old times. Hope we see them back :)

Some ideas, giving all of these would be overkill but just spitballing. In my opinion Fisticuffs should play more like MK9 Johnny, this is how it was sold to us in the pre-release streams and I think gearing him more towards that feel would be appropriate.

- Buff flipkick to be more in line with MK9 Johnny flip so it's a viable anti-air, right now it's pretty useless.in this variant.
- Make F4 more like MK9 B3 for anti-airing.
- Make fistbump have faster recovery for some sort of viable mid-screen setup.
- Add an EX fistbump that grants the low health red specials/alternate throw buff in addition to regular buff effects.
- 2 is a 9 frame start up and hits mid like MK9 Johnny
- B2 breaks armor
- EX nut punch rapidly hits three times on start up before launching
- Another unique string or some adjustments to make 214 useful
- When fistbump buff is active, speedbag regains its pre-nerf properties.
- F3 and F34 are now -5 on block- not in MK9 Johnny abusable territory, but no longer giant risky moves in this variant

Some ideas, giving all of these would be overkill but just spitballing. In my opinion Fisticuffs should play more like MK9 Johnny, this is how it was sold to us in the pre-release streams and I think gearing him more towards that feel would be appropriate.

- Buff flipkick to be more in line with MK9 Johnny flip so it's a viable anti-air, right now it's pretty useless.in this variant.
- Make F4 more like MK9 B3 for anti-airing.
- Make fistbump have faster recovery for some sort of viable mid-screen setup.
- Add an EX fistbump that grants the low health red specials/alternate throw buff in addition to regular buff effects.
- 2 is a 9 frame start up and hits mid like MK9 Johnny
- B2 breaks armor
- EX nut punch rapidly hits three times on start up before launching
- Another unique string or some adjustments to make 214 useful
- F3 and F34 are now -5 on block- not in MK9 Johnny abusable territory, but no longer giant risky moves in this variant
Yes
YES PLEASE THIS
Yes
No
2 is already a 9 frame move isn't it?
No
NO
Nah
I think speed bag should be put back to its prepatch glory in general but if this is the comprise then ok.
Yes.

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
I usually try to avoid these types of threads. But I figured whatevs, put some stuff for fun.
Normals
B121 - gets reverted to 9 frames again, but stays -3 or lowered to -4 if they really want. (maybe if they are feeling generous a slight pushback reduction as well)
F3/F34 - Ideally both get put to -5, but just f34 would be enough.
(Pipe dream) F4 - Gets a bigger hitbox for anti-airs.
(Extra/unneeded) 1/d1 - 1 changed to 8 frames, d1 changed to 7.

Specials
ExForceballs - It either pushes back slightly farther or shorter than it does right now. Either close enough for 1/b1/throw to hit, or far enough to be at d4/f2 max range. Right now it leaves him where he doesn't really want to be.(Or just increase the frame adv, but I'd rather the pushback change.)
Fist Bump - Just hasten the start up some.
(Unlikely) Flip Kick - To launch slightly higher on a grounded opponent so it can start a combo in the corner against both genders instead of just males.
[Unreasonable] If they are feeling crazy, make Nut Punch 2 in 1 cancelable into Fist Bump only

New Strings

(Never going to happen) - 124, where the 4 is F4 and is neutral on block
[Silly and Unreasonable] - f3b121..., allow f3 to cancel into speedbag. Leave a gap between the f3 and b1

and you know... hitbox fixes...

Just my thoughts. While again, not actually asking for them and being self aware of the [crazy ones].

As a fairly new player to MK, do you think Fisticuffs Cage is worth picking up at all? I love the way he plays, but not sure if it's worth putting effort in to learn as a noob.

ismael4790

B121 - gets reverted to 9 frames again, but stays -3 or lowered to -4 if they really want. (maybe if they are feeling generous a slight pushback reduction as well)
-4? Don't give bad ideas to nrs xD

Some of your ideas are interesting, especially that crazy F3 cancelable into speedbag, but is not going to happen.

This one "F3/F34 - Ideally both get put to -5, but just f34 would be enough" is really possible. And I would like to see F34 special cancelable too.

I like this a lot, would make the opponent really fear the fistbump. But normal speedbag needs a boost in any case.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Some of these serious requests are unbelievable.

Standing 1 and 3 to hit mid? They're labeled as highs.

Triple chip damage on top of reverting speedbag to what it was?

jhonny is good as he is only thing is the f4 needs way faster start up maybe like 9f or 10
Stunt double needs a way to safely get out mimic.
f34 -4
ex flip kick now launches and can be comboed of of. like cassie

Prepatch fisticuffs.

i agree :/